• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

.Aerodactyl.

Here is an idea if they are from another world/dimension...

What if their world is dying and they've come over here to take over...but perhaps some are good? Like maybe UB-01 has made friends with Lillie, thus mimiking her, and Lillie has grown attached and wants to help them, while some Ultra Beats want to save their world but NOT destroy the Pokémon and humans. Zygarde is said to fix eco systems, perhaps Lillie is trying to gather zygarde cells to get zygarde to go over to the Ultra Beast world to save it (thus tying in zygarde). In the end, maybe the legends here are the only ones with the power to save the ultra beast planet (maybe a planetary collision with the moon or their sun is exploding or something like that). In the end, the legends would save the Ultra Beast world and we all become friends and like long distance pen pals (hahaha). Maybe, we even let some Ultra Beasts live here and learn from eachother, or if we don't save their world, let their small dying population live here because there is "enough room for everyone!".

I just don't really personally envision an ending where Ultra Beasts are pure evil. Pokémon has always had the theme of embracing differences, working together and needing eachother, especially the last few games...I don't seem them throwing out that idea for beings that are different than us, could only possibly have evil intentions because they are different and therefore must be destroyed at all costs. That literally spits in the face of all they try to say with their games about diversity (their whole goal now is world wide releases, customizing to look like you, their Japanese trailers feature a little kid moving across the world to a new culture and learning from eachother through Pokémon, etc.). Ultra Beasts are likely to be misunderstood at best or desperate, but not evil for evils sake.

Plus this would tie a lot together. Aether can still be running experiments and loosing touch with their "good & loving" intentions out of fear. Team Skull can still have their drama, etc. Obviously just a theory... No super evidence supporting it. I won't bet any money on it or walk it down the aisle and put a ring on it, but it's a fun theory!

Last edited:

Julia Artemis

Honestly I'm not sure what to think about these Ultra Beasts, since we don't have much information about them. I guess as long as they can't be caught I'm fine with them, and are kind of cool boss characters I suppose. But if people can use them online in battles I'll be legit angry at Gamefreak for that!

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
I'm really curious about the UB's as well. I am excited to find out what they want. And for the above, about hoping to save their world, that'd be interesting. Maybe in their universe, pokemon and humans are one in the same (hence the humanoid body but with powers), and as suggested above, need Zygarde to help save their world since they don't have legendary pokemon with saving powers, they just have the UB's,which they are.

Bus

Damn son, I think you are right! That makes total sense!

That would definitely be an interesting twist; extra-dimensional beings have come to use the power of that World's legendary pokemon to fix the problems occurring in their world. Maybe they come from a far-advanced future where pokemon and human are no longer separate beings; they've fused to become...Ultra Beasts!

RandomMasterMan

Wannabe Good
I've actually thought about this I think that they are like a fusion of Pokemon and humans because of how much UB-01 looks like Lillie and how UB-02 Beauty looks like Lusamine.

BlitzGirl41

So apparently Nintendo Hong Kong is saying that the English version of the games will call "Expansion" "Absorption" instead...? Huh? But "Expansion" is an English word that is understood... I don't get it...

The more I see of these Ultra Beasts, the more I really hate them as a part of Pokemon. They don't look like Pokemon in the sense that they don't look like they belong to this franchise at all. I get that they may not literally be Pokemon, but they also look so out of place in the games. They are so incredibly ugly and off-putting to me, and hearing that there will be more just puts a bad taste in my mouth. It's really making me nervous about these games. I just can't accept these horrendous additions to the series. :( Many other things about S/M, however, I am fine with or eagerly looking forward to. But Ultra Beasts...? They are the one thing I can say with 100% certainty that I despise.

knightwolf09

So apparently Nintendo Hong Kong is saying that the English version of the games will call "Expansion" "Absorption" instead...? Huh? But "Expansion" is an English word that is understood... I don't get it...

The more I see of these Ultra Beasts, the more I really hate them as a part of Pokemon. They don't look like Pokemon in the sense that they don't look like they belong to this franchise at all. I get that they may not literally be Pokemon, but they also look so out of place in the games. They are so incredibly ugly and off-putting to me, and hearing that there will be more just puts a bad taste in my mouth. It's really making me nervous about these games. I just can't accept these horrendous additions to the series. :( Many other things about S/M, however, I am fine with or eagerly looking forward to. But Ultra Beasts...? They are the one thing I can say with 100% certainty that I despise.

I think your missing the point why they look so outlandish. Literally for the reasons you just stated. They're creature's outside of pokemon, aliens, things not from that world. The point IS to make them look weird and out of place, because they're NOT from that place.

.Aerodactyl.

It's funny, I'm the opposite. I love them because they are so different and not so appealing... I'm glad that they really do look alien to me and I feel they give off the right vibe for what they are so far building these creatures up to be. I love that sort of creepy horror vibe, but it's not for everyone.

But I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from. They are very different, and depending how they do things and what direction they go, could be a very big change for the series as a whole. For all we know, they could be such different beings entirely that we might get our own "Ultra Beasts" spin off games in the future. That is definitely mind blowing if it happened and definitely series changing. So please, when I say that I absolutely love them for the same reasons you dislike them, know that I still think your opinion and take on them is valid and not whiny :)

It might be worth considering holding off on buying them and waiting until after release to see what they are all about for some people. Spending 50 dollars on a game you'll hate isn't much fun (though waiting means you loose the lower pre-order price if you do end up wanting it). I don't think Ultra Beasts are gonna be like contests, sky battles or Megas where you have to use them once as an intro and never use/see them again if you don't want too. I think they will be constant and integral to the plot. There might be some side stuff that has less to do with them (island trials and some of the team Skull shenanigans) but definitely a lot more down your throat then Megas and alolan forms and all that. I'm excited, but it's definitely new and not every ones cup of tea! It has the potential to make it feel like a whole different game.

There is so much about this game to speculate about tlit's no wonder many are scrambling for more info; they want to make a better purchase decision. I feel this game more then any has mkre people wanting answers then surprises.

Last edited:

.Aerodactyl.

Whatever? I looks really technological. To me UB-2 is a machine

Interesting...I suppose it does have some machine vibes. I just personally don't see it like I do for Pokémon like Magearna and Genesect. If they end up being man-made creatures, then a machine vibe would be warranted.

I feel the opposite because their organicness or what you want to call it is what makes them so terrifying/creepy to me. Personally, machines don't really scare me, especially in the Pokémon world where they use all kinds of crazy contraptions (pokenstsr studios) and the anime in team rocket has a new robot battle every other episode. They're always building stuff. But because to me, they are very alive and organic beings they seem much more terrifying because they feel their only explanation is other worldly. Really reminds me of the movie "Signs" and how just seeing glimpses of those beings was the most terrifying... You didn't even need the space ships. It was their alien appearance and completely unknown motivations until the end that sent chills.

Last edited:

BlitzGirl41

I think your missing the point why they look so outlandish. Literally for the reasons you just stated. They're creature's outside of pokemon, aliens, things not from that world. The point IS to make them look weird and out of place, because they're NOT from that place.

When I said they felt "out of place", I meant that they don't feel like they belong in the Pokemon franchise. They feel like they are from a completely different company/series. Nothing in the artwork feels like "Pokemon" to me.

It's funny, I'm the opposite. I love them because they are so different and not so appealing... I'm glad that they really do look alien to me and I feel they give off the right vibe for what they are so far building these creatures up to be. I love that sort of creepy horror vibe, but it's not for everyone.

But I TOTALLY understand where you're coming from. They are very different, and depending how they do things and what direction they go, could be a very big change for the series as a whole. For all we know, they could be such different beings entirely that we might get our own "Ultra Beasts" spin off games in the future. That is definitely mind blowing if it happened and definitely series changing. So please, when I say that I absolutely love them for the same reasons you dislike them, know that I still think your opinion and take on them is valid and not whiny :)

It might be worth considering holding off on buying them and waiting until after release to see what they are all about for some people. Spending 50 dollars on a game you'll hate isn't much fun (though waiting means you loose the lower pre-order price if you do end up wanting it). I don't think Ultra Beasts are gonna be like contests, sky battles or Megas where you have to use them once as an intro and never use/see them again if you don't want too. I think they will be constant and integral to the plot. There might be some side stuff that has less to do with them (island trials and some of the team Skull shenanigans) but definitely a lot more down your throat then Megas and alolan forms and all that. I'm excited, but it's definitely new and not every ones cup of tea! It has the potential to make it feel like a whole different game.

There is so much about this game to speculate about tlit's no wonder many are scrambling for more info; they want to make a better purchase decision. I feel this game more then any has mkre people wanting answers then surprises.

I still will buy Moon. As I said, this is really the only off-putting aspect of the game, but I am loving the Alola region and many of the new (non Alolan Form) Pokemon, especially Rowlett as a starter. I will enjoy the game for sure despite the Ultra Beast plot. I even enjoyed B/W and X/Y even though there were plot points, locations, and characters I hated tremendously. XD

knightwolf09

When I said they felt "out of place", I meant that they don't feel like they belong in the Pokemon franchise. They feel like they are from a completely different company/series. Nothing in the artwork feels like "Pokemon" to me.

Yes I knew what you meant. That's still my point. They're not supposed to look like they're from Pokemon. That just means they did a good job of how they designed them.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I think what's throwing people off about them is how machine like they look.
Think machine is the wrong word cause it conjures images of, like, robots and car engines and stuff. They look more like non-organic lifeforms (an oxymoron if ever there was one) from some kind of sci-fi film, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly what GameFreak was going for here.

Status
Not open for further replies.