• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Ultra Beasts Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LockFelino

Sparkling Noodleboi
You know, with a name like "Absorption", I'm half expecting Tapu Koko to lose the battle. And then get absorbed by Absorption in Sun, and "spirited away" by Beauty's influence in Moon. Showing the player what the power gap is story wise, depending on what point in the game their appearance is. With Tapu Koko gone, Melemele would fall into disarray, motivating the player character to find some way to get it back.

Just a small theory I came up with and kind of like. Probably no sense to it but what can you do.

MartiniTheDratini

So with the games coming in just about two months, when do you think we will get the truth of what the Ultra Beasts are? Next Corocoro, a few days before launch, or the day of when people play the game and the Internet explodes? This guessing and speculation over these things is kind of driving us all insane.

Hopefully, not until the game is released. I'd like there to be some surprises left once I play the game.

Sulfurian

Well this isn't true. I like the concept and designs of these UB, however I don't think they are Pokemon, mainly because they are not classified as such on the official Pokemon websites. They aren't classified as Legendary, Mythical, New, or Alolan/Variant. If these were just new Pokemon, they would be on the Pokemon page somewhere. I personally think these UB are akin to that thing in Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon. A powerful enemy that is neither Pokemon, nor human, that the player must defeat.
I think that's because they would be giving away too much if they did that. Right now they want us to think that the Aether foundation are the good guys. Would mewtwo be showing up as ???? In the pokedex if team rocket didn't leave all those notes behind in cinnabar island?

neo_senku

I really am excited to see how these Ultra Beasts play put. When I first saw UB-01 I just thought of super bosses from other rpgs, like the jewel weapons in ff7. I do hope that we are able to battle some of them, it would be lame just to see it play out in cut scenes. I'd have to agree with what some others have said that by the end of the game these may be a new category of pokemon. especially if the rumors of there being around 40 of them are true.

XXD17

Draco rex
You know, with a name like "Absorption", I'm half expecting Tapu Koko to lose the battle. And then get absorbed by Absorption in Sun, and "spirited away" by Beauty's influence in Moon. Showing the player what the power gap is story wise, depending on what point in the game their appearance is. With Tapu Koko gone, Melemele would fall into disarray, motivating the player character to find some way to get it back.

Just a small theory I came up with and kind of like. Probably no sense to it but what can you do.

That would make sense...absorption is basically a giant mosquito so it probably sucks up life energy or something...as for beauty, I'm not too sure...however, with tapu koko gone, there are 3 other guardians to absorb...why is this plot reminding me more and more of Windwaker?

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Would love it if they were pokemon though.

UB-02 Absorption could have insane attack (due to its diamond hard proboscis) and either incredible HP or defenses, and probably on the slower side, around 70 to 80. It'd probably have any ability that increases the amount of HP recovered or the power of Draining moves (Drain Punch, Draining Kiss, Parabolic Charge, Giga Drain, Mega Drain, Absorb, Horn Leech, Dream Eater, Leech Life, Leech Seed, Oblivion Wing).

UB-02 Beauty could have great special attack and insane speed (probably between 150 and 200). It would be more frail but hit like a special truck. Its ability could cause infatuation on any pokemon, regardless of gender.

SOmething like this:
UB-02 Absorption:
Type: Bug/Dark (though the Fighting typing works as well)
Ability: Leech (increases hp recovered or power of draining moves)

HP: 110
Attack: 145
Defense: 90
Special Attack: 95
Special Defense: 90
Speed: 70
Total: 600

Draining moves learned: Giga Drain, Leech Life, Drain Punch

UB-02 Beauty:
Type: Psychic/Bug (tough the Fairy typing works as well)
Ability: 20% chance to infatuate any pokemon upon contact

HP: 80
Attack: 80
Defense: 75
Special Attack: 125
Special Defense: 85
Speed: 155
Total: 600

Last edited:

Sallin

Very interesting. All of the UBs so far seem to be based off of invertebrates, and all of them could also relate to water/the ocean.

UB-01 is a jellyfish.

UB-02 Absorption is very mosquito-esque. Mosquitoes breed in water, and absorption is usually related to fluids. It's also slightly lobstery too, I guess? Colourwise?
UB-02 Beauty is a copepod. Like this: https://photos.smugmug.com/Galleries/Microscopic-Creatures/i-nN7VLb6/8/L/Copepod_mesocyclops-L.jpg

I just think it's interesting, especially considering that the Aether Foundation is on its own island, surrounded by water...

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
Would mewtwo be showing up as ???? In the pokedex if team rocket didn't leave all those notes behind in cinnabar island?

Those notes were one of the coolest features, along with the notes in the Sea Maville. If the UBs turn out to be manmade, I hope we get a sub-plot revolving around notes left hinting at what the initial goals were, when it started to go wrong, and why. Perhaps this could even lead us cryptically to a post-game area where we have to save another UB. Of course, this is all baseless speculation.

Dragon Pulse

Has anyone else noticed that UB-01 in CoroCoro was shown to have a dark blue "hat" (sorry, I don't know what it is actually called), but the official artwork shows it having a white one?

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Those notes were one of the coolest features, along with the notes in the Sea Maville. If the UBs turn out to be manmade, I hope we get a sub-plot revolving around notes left hinting at what the initial goals were, when it started to go wrong, and why. Perhaps this could even lead us cryptically to a post-game area where we have to save another UB. Of course, this is all baseless speculation.

I loved this about Red and Blue. Finding notes and stuff about something we didn't even see or know about. And then finally seeing Mewtwo and kinda connecting the dots. Love when Gamefreak adds mystery to the games, like with the Ghost girl.

Wadeledge

Till all are One
Has anyone else noticed that UB-01 in CoroCoro was shown to have a dark blue "hat" (sorry, I don't know what it is actually called), but the official artwork shows it having a white one?

It is just clear so in CoroCoro it looks blue because of the background it's on.

XXD17

Draco rex
Very interesting. All of the UBs so far seem to be based off of invertebrates, and all of them could also relate to water/the ocean.

UB-01 is a jellyfish.

UB-02 Absorption is very mosquito-esque. Mosquitoes breed in water, and absorption is usually related to fluids. It's also slightly lobstery too, I guess? Colourwise?
UB-02 Beauty is a copepod. Like this: https://photos.smugmug.com/Galleries/Microscopic-Creatures/i-nN7VLb6/8/L/Copepod_mesocyclops-L.jpg

I just think it's interesting, especially considering that the Aether Foundation is on its own island, surrounded by water...

I can see a little copepod, but I mostly see a roach: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/426153183466941802/ it would make sense because both UB 2 would be based on common pests....

BlitzGirl41

Just saw the short video and am glad to see that Hala is taking an active role in this Ultra Beast plot. As someone else mentioned, it does look like the UB is coming at Hala but Tapu Koko leaps in to defend him. Still, despite my dislike for the UBs, I'm glad I'm getting Moon because Beauty is at least somewhat tolerable. Absorption/Expansion is just a huge bulky body with a mosquito head on top which looks really weird.

Sulfurian

I loved this about Red and Blue. Finding notes and stuff about something we didn't even see or know about. And then finally seeing Mewtwo and kinda connecting the dots. Love when Gamefreak adds mystery to the games, like with the Ghost girl.

That's kinda my theory on Ultra Beasts. They want to keep them surrounded in mystery to prevent any spoilers to the story.

Orphalesion

It sounds to me like people who deny that they're Pokemon dislike the designs and hope they aren't catchable.

Wow I just "love" it when people make sweeping, unfounded generalizations like that *rolleyes*

I love the designs of the three UBs they have revealed so far, I love them because they look absolutely alien when compared to everything else in the Pokemon universe including things like Deoxys and Arceus in fact I like those things much better than most legendaries (especially Arceus and the Creation trio).

However I hope they aren't pokemon and won't be catchable, just to preserve their alien flair and "otherness". Plus it would open up a lot of interesting story opportunities if the Ultra Beast where something else besides pokemon. And I think there is room for more than just Pokemon in the Pokemon world.

I actually like UB Beauty the least out of the bunch, because it looks the most "pokemon like" and thus the least alien.

Ascended Dialga

After watching this trailer, there is now no denying that some kinds of battles will take place between Pokémon and Ultra Beasts. Will this be the first time since Black 2 and White 2 that the player has gotten to fight things that aren't Pokémon in a main series game? If so, then I'm pretty excited for this.

Sabre_King

Ultra beasts are becoming more interesting with the more news we receive about them. I wonder if they will be captured in the game, as well as, what types they may possess. I could see a few more ultra beasts being present in the game, but I do not know if they will be revealed before the game is released. I hope an explanation is made as to why some of the ultra beasts look similar to certain characters in the game.

Sulfurian

Wow I just "love" it when people make sweeping, unfounded generalizations like that *rolleyes*

I love the designs of the three UBs they have revealed so far, I love them because they look absolutely alien when compared to everything else in the Pokemon universe including things like Deoxys and Arceus in fact I like those things much better than most legendaries (especially Arceus and the Creation trio).

However I hope they aren't pokemon and won't be catchable, just to preserve their alien flair and "otherness". Plus it would open up a lot of interesting story opportunities if the Ultra Beast where something else besides pokemon. And I think there is room for more than just Pokemon in the Pokemon world.

I actually like UB Beauty the least out of the bunch, because it looks the most "pokemon like" and thus the least alien.

Forgive me, I've focused too much on youtube comments and facebook comments regarding these things as Digimon and not buying the game because of how ridiculous they look to them.

Personally I think UB-Expanding is more Pokemon like than Beauty. While Beauty looks extremely similar to a humanoid, we have several humanoid pokemon with Mr. Mime, Jynx, and Hypno to name a few. However Expand looks like a fusion of Machamp/Beedrill/Scizor to me.

I'm not saying them not being Pokemon is a bad thing, it's just that after 700+ designs of Pokemon from different mythologies and cultures, how these things scream "Not Pokemon" to some people. Elgyem is also an alien, Deoyxs?

Personally I think they're trying to keep their secrets under the rug until the game comes out. We're so used to XY stories that we've become numb to them hiding actually interesting spoilers.

Julia Artemis

Ultra beasts are becoming more interesting with the more news we receive about them. I wonder if they will be captured in the game, as well as, what types they may possess. I could see a few more ultra beasts being present in the game, but I do not know if they will be revealed before the game is released. I hope an explanation is made as to why some of the ultra beasts look similar to certain characters in the game.

They should most definitely not be catchable. It barely makes sense for legendaries in the first part to be caught as is.

Status
Not open for further replies.