• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

UltraSun and UltraMoon effect on the anime

Leonhart

Imagineer
Well, I don't think that there will be any more trials. Battling Ultra Beasts might get in the way.

Matsurika may as well show up in the anime to showcase her trial since she was slightly more relevant in US/UM than she was in S/M.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
After Poipole, I don't think we'd see another for a while and when it comes it'll be like one at a time so that they'd power ranger them. Instead of COTD we'd see UBOTD. It'll possibly be either underwhelming or really funny to see because I doubt they're gonna evolve their Pokemon. Cute factor too high currently.

What's cute about Charjabug? It's practically a given Charjabug will evolve, especially with Ula'Ula coming up at some point.
They do have somebody around to show off Popplio's evolution line though, you have a point with her. A capture would improve her trainer's team. Nobody's around to show Tsareena but Mallow, especially as Akala is behind them now and her brother's partner was Lickitung. I do think Mallow should get a capture before they evolve Steenee though.... I really don't want her only team changes being evolutions, it already feels like they're going the lazy way out on her as it is....

And they shouldn't evolve Shiron until they give that thing a proper moveset, and not just Powder Snow. The move sets are absolute crap this region for how many episodes in we are, even Best Wishes did it better. We only know one move for half the cast's Pokemon!

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
What's cute about Charjabug? It's practically a given Charjabug will evolve, especially with Ula'Ula coming up at some point.
They do have somebody around to show off Popplio's evolution line though, you have a point with her. A capture would improve her trainer's team. Nobody's around to show Tsareena but Mallow, especially as Akala is behind them now and her brother's partner was Lickitung. I do think Mallow should get a capture before they evolve Steenee though.... I really don't want her only team changes being evolutions, it already feels like they're going the lazy way out on her as it is....

And they shouldn't evolve Shiron until they give that thing a proper moveset, and not just Powder Snow. The move sets are absolute crap this region for how many episodes in we are, even Best Wishes did it better. We only know one move for half the cast's Pokemon!
So? It wouldn't be the first time another character debuted a starter's evolution before someone in the main cast got it. Sanpei, Aria, Paul, Tyson, Harrison, that knickerbocker kid, Bianca, Casey all debuted evolved starters that were obtained later. I guess there's also that one girl Ash battled in the Silver Conference who had Quilava, but I'm not counting her since Cyndaquil didn't evolve until much later.

Agreed on Mallow.

Half the cast's Pokemon having one move is an exaggeration. Only Togedemaru and Shiron have one move. Everyone else has two or more. But I do agree that Shiron needs a more developed moveset before we can even think about evolution.

Last edited:

Lucario At Service

Calm Trainer

Actually its not entirely necessary for Charjabug to evolve considering Sophocles nature, and the uses a Charjabug would have for his research.

Also i believe that Sophocles would have a pretty weak role when working as the 'Ultra Guardian' (mostly doing some random unneeded analysis in the background). The only time i could see him in action is when they face Xurkitree, but against it only Togedemaru would be vital because of its ability and most likely Pikachu would end up dealing with it.

Zipper4242

Bewear is the most powerful being in the universe.
Anyone think Mina's trial will just be a tournament between classmates with the winner receiving either a chance to fight Ribombee or fairium Z?

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Anyone think Mina's trial will just be a tournament between classmates with the winner receiving either a chance to fight Ribombee or fairium Z?
Nah. Everyone except for Lillie and Lana would need new captures, because Ash, Kiawe, Soph, and Mallow don't own any Pokemon capable of learning any Fairy moves that aren't egg moves. On top of that, Popplio would have to learn either Disarming Voice or Moonblast, and Shiron would have to evolve and learn Dazzling Gleam. On top of the fact that Mallow, Soph, and Lillie would all need Z-Rings. As of right now, only Lana is realistically capable of using the Fairium-Z, since she has both a Z-Ring and a Pokemon capable of learning Fairy moves.

I could see Mina's Trial being some kind of massive scavenger hunt or something where they'd have to go through all four islands to find these petals or something. That's the obvious suggestion IMO.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf

The only tournaments I see happening with Z-crystals as the grand prize would be for the ones you can't get from the trails either form Totem Pokemon or Kauhuna.

DatsRight

Replace Popplio with Steenee, and I'd agree. While I agree that Popplio defeating an Ultra Beast would be DEM no matter how you cut it, Lana at least has the Z-Move and actually showed decent strategy while battling Misty. I don't give a crap about how much you hate Lana, there should be no denying that she has shown more competence in battling than Mallow has and has the Z-Move as an ace in the hole.

My god, though, some of you act like Steenee, Popplio, Shiron, and Soph's mons are so weak that even the likes of Axew and Togepi would beat them in a battle. They're not.

Steenee needed a match rigged against MEOWTH in fairness.

They're suffering the same 'limbo' disposition as Serena did last series, not getting much development in battle skills, but always being put in unfinished or effortless battles like TR curb stomps so they look superficially competent without ever improving. 'Never getting your *** kicked' doesn't equate to 'battle competent'. I think just having Lusamine's Pokemon lay a couple token attacks and them still standing ground would have helped (not to mention made the finale at least mildly less anti-climatic).

Popplio has SOME substance, it has been shown training, mastering Z Moves and even gaining a clever battle style, but even then it's hard to determine it's power in battles undeveloped enough that the opponent doesn't even lay a scratch of damage (Popplio likely wouldn't have survived Psyduck's Psychic if Misty hadn't called it off). Lillie is also at least strategic with Snowy's one move, but it's mostly just a helper Pokemon in battle (many fans cried bull after it one-shotted ALL of Team Rocket just an episode after they beat Ash).

Charjabug is a cocoon and not exactly the most interesting or expressive Pokemon in the world, plus all they'd have to do to evolve it is visit Blush Mountain.

Wait, it is? I know the second stage bug-type is usually a cocoon, but nothing suggests Charjabug is one through dex entries or appearance. It looks like a Minecraft caterpillar.

Last edited:

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
I don't even think the classmates are weak, just inexperienced. After all, Steenee handled herself against Meowth just fine earlier in the series, and it and Popplio were doing well against Psyduck until Steenee's Magical Leaf caused it to hit its head. That being said, one can only hope this "Ultra Guardians" business will force them to train and get stronger, because I do agree that all the classmates except Kiawe would probably get curbstomped.

DatsRight

I don't even think the classmates are weak, just inexperienced. After all, Steenee handled herself against Meowth just fine earlier in the series, and it and Popplio were doing well against Psyduck until Steenee's Magical Leaf caused it to hit its head. That being said, one can only hope this "Ultra Guardians" business will force them to train and get stronger, because I do agree that all the classmates except Kiawe would probably get curbstomped.

Either way though, it's still freakin' Meowth, not exactly an accomplishment. And the battle with Psyduck was called off the moment they lost the upper hand. It's the same as saying a LV1 Pokemon looked competent against a LV50 one because it got in a Fake Out or Quick Attack at the start and then switched out before the LV50 one could hit back and almost certainly KO it.

Again, being in battles where they never get hit or fainted isn't the same as being competent. Often them suffering a bit of damage is important for display since it shows how much they can sustain and how well they can improvise. Turtonator getting beat down by Marowak was vital to it's big skill change for example, and while Ash has had a winning streak through most of the series, his team have still took a lot of damage in battle and had to pull unexpected tricks to regain the upper hand.

I get battling isn't exactly the focus of some of these characters, especially Sophociles, but all the more reason it'd be contrived to put them in a battle heavy role. I mean come on, let's have SOME creditable antagonist face offs this series.

Last edited:

Rajas

And there are reasons why they couldall evolve too.

Charjabug is a cocoon and not exactly the most interesting or expressive Pokemon in the world, plus all they'd have to do to evolve it is visit Blush Mountain.

Not much left to Lana's development if Popplio doesn't evolve, plus Primarina is pretty much on par with Decidueye as far as popularity goes.

Mallow's ace in USM is Tsareena, plus Bounsweet evolved early enough in the series.

Sophocles could get a Vikavolt if he actually does something useful with it and train it maybe. As for Lana and Mallow, don't know if they really care about progressing them to the point that they'd evolve their Pokemon tbh. It would be nice if they did but I'm not having any expectations.

Well I wasn't referring to Charjabug tbh as I really don't know what Sophocles would do with it evolved, he likes to make it use that damn hamster wheel and he doesn't train it either so idk. I agree with you about Lana, Mallow and Lillie though, I don't know if evolving their Pokemon really helps them progress in any way :/. Agreed that the move sets are rubbish too, Ash's Rowlet still has three moves and it's his second most used Pokemon. Only decent move set so far is Kiawe's Marowak.

lolipiece

Pictured: what browsing Serebii does to a person
Staff member
Wait, it is? I know the second stage bug-type is usually a cocoon, but nothing suggests Charjabug is one through dex entries or appearance. It looks like a Minecraft caterpillar.

Its concept art explicitly shows it as such.

[img139]https://78.media.tumblr.com/dd201af9124c3308700cf317fcd65620/tumblr_p1g3e8ghcz1r1alb2o1_1280.jpg[/img139]

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I personally don't think Sophocles has any reason to evolve his Charjabug tbh. It clearly is used as a battery inside that electrical wheel to power up his stuff, so Vikavolt really wouldn't benefit Sophocles much.

As for the others, I can maybe see one capture each for Lillie, Mallow and Lana, and maybe an evolution, but that's it. I really don't see the cast with more than 2 Pokémon each.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
Sophocles could get a Vikavolt if he actually does something useful with it and train it maybe. As for Lana and Mallow, don't know if they really care about progressing them to the point that they'd evolve their Pokemon tbh. It would be nice if they did but I'm not having any expectations.
Can't really say much about Mallow because Tsareena doesn't provide any real benefit to her. It's Lana that I'm a little suspicious of, because if Popplio doesn't evolve, then what's left for her? We saw one of Popplio's bubbles support a Wailmer. If it can support a Wailmer, it can support Lana. Her bubble goal is basically done. So again, what's left for her? Basically nothing except for a capture and maybe Popplio learning a new move, which is what? Two episodes? In what is 99% a three year series, there is no way Lana is getting only two more focus episodes. She has to expand on her goal somehow, and the best way for that to happen is for Popplio to evolve.

Besides, Brionne and Primarina are capable of controlling their bubbles. Popplio is not. That's kind of important if Lana wants to go exploring underwater.

I give you that Mallow doesn't really need Steenee to evolve, however, and there's still mileage they can get out of the restaurant stuff, since unlike Lana, her goal is not all but finished. However, just because it doesn't need to evolve doesn't mean it won't. After all, Zoruagible is correct in that there's really nobody to show off Tsareena because it's Mallow's ace in USM.

Well I wasn't referring to Charjabug tbh as I really don't know what Sophocles would do with it evolved, he likes to make it use that damn hamster wheel and he doesn't train it either so idk. I agree with you about Lana, Mallow and Lillie though, I don't know if evolving their Pokemon really helps them progress in any way :/. Agreed that the move sets are rubbish too, Ash's Rowlet still has three moves and it's his second most used Pokemon. Only decent move set so far is Kiawe's Marowak.
To be fair, most anime movesets aren't exactly the most diverse in the world. Snivy knew nothing but Grass moves. Infernape got along just fine with a movepool of Flamethrower/Flare Blitz/Dig/Mach Punch. Three out of four of Hawlucha's moves were Fighting type moves. Greninja knows Cut ffs. I agree that having some Pokemon only know one or two moves is ridiculous, but we shouldn't be expecting diverse movepools when they never have been diverse. And again, stuff like Steenee, Popplio, and Charjabug have pretty shallow movepools until they're fully evolved anyway.

i2i

Big Bad Wolf
To be fair, most anime movesets aren't exactly the most diverse in the world. Snivy knew nothing but Grass moves. Infernape got along just fine with a movepool of Flamethrower/Flare Blitz/Dig/Mach Punch. Three out of four of Hawlucha's moves were Fighting type moves. Greninja knows Cut ffs. I agree that having some Pokemon only know one or two moves is ridiculous, but we shouldn't be expecting diverse movepools when they never have been diverse. And again, stuff like Steenee, Popplio, and Charjabug have pretty shallow movepools until they're fully evolved anyway.

At least USM added Icy Wind to Popplio's move set and sure Water Pokemon with a Ice move has been done before but at least it's something.

Golden_Latias

#SlayQueenSlay
True but Icy Wind is still only one move and one that's probably kinda similar to Powder Snow animation-wise tbh. The Popplio line doesn't gain access to most of its moves until Primarina.

Rajas

Can't really say much about Mallow because Tsareena doesn't provide any real benefit to her. It's Lana that I'm a little suspicious of, because if Popplio doesn't evolve, then what's left for her? We saw one of Popplio's bubbles support a Wailmer. If it can support a Wailmer, it can support Lana. Her bubble goal is basically done. So again, what's left for her? Basically nothing except for a capture and maybe Popplio learning a new move, which is what? Two episodes? In what is 99% a three year series, there is no way Lana is getting only two more focus episodes. She has to expand on her goal somehow, and the best way for that to happen is for Popplio to evolve.

Besides, Brionne and Primarina are capable of controlling their bubbles. Popplio is not. That's kind of important if Lana wants to go exploring underwater.

I give you that Mallow doesn't really need Steenee to evolve, however, and there's still mileage they can get out of the restaurant stuff, since unlike Lana, her goal is not all but finished. However, just because it doesn't need to evolve doesn't mean it won't. After all, Zoruagible is correct in that there's really nobody to show off Tsareena because it's Mallow's ace in USM.

Well my thinking is that they really won't address Lana's goal again. I think she'd just use her talents in being a sort of water expert for random episodes which is why I don't expect much from here. She seems pretty content with her life as well so it's hard for me to picture otherwise. Like she could possibly at least get the second stage though because the Pokemon are pretty to market but atm I don't see them giving Lana attention solely. Mallow I just think they'd be fine with her remaining as is for Steenee to keep messing with Rowlet for that gag until at least it evolves (praying it does).

With respect to movesets, I don't mind that they're all grass etc, it's more of them spamming one move constantly. Just want a little variation like Kiawe. I'd at least like to know they know some other moves especially with this Ultra Guardian thing, they need some kind of defense imo.

DatsRight

Well my thinking is that they really won't address Lana's goal again. I think she'd just use her talents in being a sort of water expert for random episodes which is why I don't expect much from here. She seems pretty content with her life as well so it's hard for me to picture otherwise. Like she could possibly at least get the second stage though because the Pokemon are pretty to market but atm I don't see them giving Lana attention solely. Mallow I just think they'd be fine with her remaining as is for Steenee to keep messing with Rowlet for that gag until at least it evolves (praying it does).

With respect to movesets, I don't mind that they're all grass etc, it's more of them spamming one move constantly. Just want a little variation like Kiawe. I'd at least like to know they know some other moves especially with this Ultra Guardian thing, they need some kind of defense imo.

Lana seems like one of those characters that has a hobby she's fond of but is looking for some defined agenda to vent it. Her interest in stuff like the gym leader battles and treasure hunters show her curiosity when they relate to her and Popplio's bubble affinity.

The thing about the move sets is that they need to be in developed battles that require more than spamming. Ash and Kiawe's Pokemon have been in fully fledged even-handed battles, while the other lot have been mostly against Team Rocket or lone Pokemon that fall very easily or have something unlucky befall them. Steenee has a diverse enough move set to get a half developed battle style out of, but she's only been able to vent it on Rowlet or Meowth for the most part.

Last edited:

Rajas

Lana seems like one of those characters that has a hobby she's fond of but is looking for some defined agenda to vent it. Her interest in stuff like the gym leader battles and treasure hunters show her curiosity when they relate to her and Popplio's bubble affinity.

The thing about the move sets is that they need to be in developed battles that require more than spamming. Ash and Kiawe's Pokemon have been in fully fledged even-handed battles, while the other lot have been mostly against Team Rocket or lone Pokemon that fall very easily or have something unlucky befall them. Steenee has a diverse enough move set to get a half developed battle style out of, but she's only been able to vent it on Rowlet or Meowth for the most part.

Lana is pretty carefree to me, think she really doesn't care at this point to do anything seriously. Adventure one day in the future maybe and that's it. I dobn't really blame her anyways but I'd at least want her get another water Pokemon just for the heck of it at this point.

As for moves, I'd be okay with just them having four moves on their Pokemon tbh. They've got to have some form of training before doing anything like protecting Alola from whatever is coming imo. I really don't wanna just see them being this Ultra guardian thing and they can't stand up for themselves. 10000000 volt thunderbolt wouldn't always save them :/

Leonhart

Imagineer

Even if that's all that Matsurika's trial would amount to, I'd still find it amusing. It would serve as UltraSun and UltraMoon promotion, while also giving Satoshi's classmates some battles.