• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unconventional field effects: good or gimmick

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Everyone knows Trick Room. but much less common field effects such as Wonder Room, Magic Room, and even Gravity seem to be far less common.
Wonder Room swaps the Defense of all pokemon on the field with their SpDefense.
Magic Room stops Items.
Gravity does a whole lot of stuff, from grounding levitaters and fliers, to increasing the Accuracy of every move on the field. pretty much moves that are 60% accurate become 100%. how awesome is that? Also, Skarmory becomes weak to Ground moves. that's just one example.
I'm thinking about basing a team around Gravity, but I was just wondering what people think of these moves.
;356;

They pretty much all suck. The only remotely usable one is Trick Room but even that is a stretch.

Gravity is bad too but every once in a while I lose to a random Scarf Landorus or Mamoswine on a Gravity team.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
They all have more viability in Doubles/Triples because a defensive teammate can set up the effect while a sweeper gets ready.

Wonder room...I'd rather spend a turn boosting my attack or speed than swapping my opponent's defense.

Magic room..possibly to stop scarfed mons. but not in singles.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
Yea, i was thinking Magic Room would be good for Triples if you had a team full of Choice'd pokemon. Banders and Specers get the power boost the first turn and since Magic Room is -7 priority, after the first turn they're free to do whatever they want until the 5turns are up, or until you want to use the choiced move again for the power boost. i imagine it can get pretty crazy, however this is just all in theory right now.
i think a Gravity team focused on high power/low Acc attacks would be amazing. boltbeam can be replaced with ThunBlizz. Willowisp will have perfect Accuracy, and Dusclops with Evolite can use both. Earthquake would obviously be a totally viable option, just gotta make sure you have pokemon that can easily take out common Quakers.

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I've used wonder room to stop a Hitmonlee from absorbing a special attack.

Pointless because it wouldn't have had enough leftover HP to survive another, but it was fun when they have no idea why you set up what you did.

though it does help some pokemon out, like Aggron, he laughs at your Giga Drains after the swap, still dies to Earthquake though.

T.W.I.

Undercover Rocket
As Kaiser said, yes, MOST of these fields effects are best used in Doubles/Triples since you can setup+attack on the same turn

However...being an avid unconventional battler...

Trick Room>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Gravity>Magic+Wonder Room

Wasting a turn to merely stops items is a waste, and swapping defenses is a waste unless youre completely walled in. Gravity is good but used anywhere near as much as TR.

Gravity tends to abuse Hypnosis. I remember a wifi battle where I was just DESTROYED by a gravity+TR team with an eviolite bronzong.

Kalslaffin

Herping the Durp
What if Game Freak came out with a move that switched everyone on the fields attack and special attack? So you can take advantage of Pokes like Togekiss and Tauros, who have good move pools but bad stats for their other attacking stat, so you could run Something like extreme speed Togekiss and your opponent would be crippled do to pokes like Heracross getting their massive attack stat switched with their poor special attack stat.

Vandslaux

What if Game Freak came out with a move that switched everyone on the fields attack and special attack? So you can take advantage of Pokes like Togekiss and Tauros, who have good move pools but bad stats for their other attacking stat, so you could run Something like extreme speed Togekiss and your opponent would be crippled do to pokes like Heracross getting their massive attack stat switched with their poor special attack stat.

Togekiss's physical movepool: ESpeed, Return
Heracross's special movepool: HP Bug, Focus Blast, Vacuum Wave

Yeah.. NO.

Togekiss's physical movepool: ESpeed, Return
Heracross's special movepool: HP Bug, Focus Blast, Vacuum Wave

Yeah.. NO.

Well. Togekiss gets Hustle, so it would end up with over 200 base attack. It also gets Aerial Ace / Zen Headbutt / Focus Punch / Drain Punch / Steel Wing. Not the best physical movepool but it would be a cool revenge killer. Choice Band Hustle Extremespeed would OHKO stuff like Virizion and Landorus.. not bad. It could run Specially Offensive spread and switch over to Extremespeed when The Room was up. Also the "Super Room" would be devastating to Pokemon like Latios / Haxorus / Gyarados who have horrible mixed stats. The Room would effectively neutralize your opponent's offense. It would probably be amazing on stall as long as it gets good distribution like Trick Room did.

And he said Heracross would suck under The Room, which is true.

Black_Star

Star Assassin
trick room is the best. it can be pretty amusing to use lol

Ninja Dewott

Ice Cold Fire
This would be cool and it would be competitively viable, though I suppose that does depend how long it lasts.

DragonXmicro

何これ?かえったね。
^ as long as tailwind. It should actually switch the classification of the moves, so ExtremeSpeed would be special, Flamethrower physical, etc.

Zachmac

Trick room is great in rotation battles, and I guess gravity is decent there. Since swapping pokemon doesn't waste a turn in rotations, you can give you bulky sweeper 4 turns to sweep, then TR again the instant it's down. It also gives pokemon like curse tanks more time to set up for the trick room, as swapping to the trick roomer won't remove the boost.

Sound

I've tried Gravity on a UU team, as well as Wonder Room on a RU/LU team. Gravity was fun, but it lacked versatility. Wonder Room wasn't good at all. Pretty much everyone could adapt to it, and there are no good abusers. Magic Room could make an excellent Choice counter, as well as allowing you to switch something with a toxic orb and fling/trick/switcheroo (other than Gliscor) for more than one turn before getting rid of the item. Unfortunatly, the only usable pokemon that gets it is Gothitelle. Frisk and Magic room actually makes a nice combo. The good thing is that she doesn't miss the moveslot too much.

It should actually switch the classification of the moves, so ExtremeSpeed would be special, Flamethrower physical, etc.

NO! All it would change is what defense was used to calculate the damage, which wonder room already does. While the stat used to inflict it would also change, most pokemon would hate this. Leave it as it was suggested. The question I have is, how would it work with boosted stats? If Klinklang used shift gear while in atk/SPatk switch room, would his special moves do more damage, or physical moves?

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
For a second I though we were going to talk about FET's, I was kinda excited, anyways, I think that room that you are explaining would be kinda broken, does anyone else feel this way?

From what I've seen (and tried a little), Wonder Room and Magic Room are awful. Wonder Room has little use outside of helping against random stuff like Blissey (and even then you might as well carry a half-decent Fighting type). Magic Room has a neat effect, but it's hardy worth the moveslot, and I'd much rather use Knock Off support and disable the opponent's items for good.

Trick Room actually is viable, although a gimmick at times. Teams based around Trick Room have to be carefully planned and can easily fall apart, but I've found that a couple of sweepers (looking at you, Reuniclus) are able to abuse Trick Room as a stand-alone sweeper and absolutely destroy fast-paced offensive teams. Gravity is...okay. It's pretty much a gimmick, period, but it's really fun to abuse. It has a little use on random stuff like Starmie and I guess something like LO Clefable with Blizzard/Thunder/Fire Blast or something.

Kalslaffin

Herping the Durp
I've tried Gravity on a UU team, as well as Wonder Room on a RU/LU team. Gravity was fun, but it lacked versatility. Wonder Room wasn't good at all. Pretty much everyone could adapt to it, and there are no good abusers. Magic Room could make an excellent Choice counter, as well as allowing you to switch something with a toxic orb and fling/trick/switcheroo (other than Gliscor) for more than one turn before getting rid of the item. Unfortunatly, the only usable pokemon that gets it is Gothitelle. Frisk and Magic room actually makes a nice combo. The good thing is that she doesn't miss the moveslot too much.

NSO! All it would change is what defense was used to calculate the damage, which wonder room already does. While the stat used to inflict it would also change, most pokemon would hate this. Leave it as it was suggested. The question I have is, how would it work with boosted stats? If Klinklang used shift gear while in atk/SPatk switch room, would his special moves do more damage, or physical moves?

well for Wonder Room, the boosts you've accumulated stay in that specific stat. So if you use Iron Defense 3 times and use wonder room, you'll still have +6 in Defense. So, if Game Freak went through with this idea, the Mechanics would most likely be the same.

Asbestospoison

Excellent Driver
I've been thinking of trying a little cup team based around Magic Room, as the reliance on Eviolite in that tier could possibly be abused by Priority Move Sweepers. I have no idea if it'll work though, and it will probably lack versatility.
EDIT: Tried it, it sucked.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Magic Room is basically playing with no items on both sides, so that pretty much sucks.

Wonder Room is just pretty much useless. No one needs their defense and special defense to sweep.