• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unconventional field effects: good or gimmick

Emboarcore

That's that
I think that Magic Room is meant more to let you deactivate your items for a bit. It still isn't that useful though.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
I think that Magic Room is meant more to let you deactivate your items for a bit. It still isn't that useful though.

Oh yea, especially triples. send out 2 choiced pokemon and a magic room user, the moves will get their buff, and next turn they'll be able to switch moves

The_Black_Mamba

I don't see how they are unconventional you just need to make sure you don't screw yourself over with gravity downing your Pokemon.

The_Black_Mamba

I don't see how they are unconventional you just need to make sure you don't screw yourself over with gravity downing your Pokemon.

I make Trick Room work so it can be good I guess.

Soperman

The One and Only
These attacks are all gimmicky, to be frank. They can maybe help you in a battle, but with Trick Room being the exception, they won't turn the tide.
Besides Skarmory in OU, who would actually be afraid of Gravity? The accuracy boost is nice, but getting hit by Focus Blast, Thunder, Fire Blast, Stone Edge, and Hydro Pump 100% of the time is not. Magic Room prevents your items from working, too. Wonder Room... The idea has merit, but it's overall stupid.
These gimmicks may work in lower tiers where Gravity users are more common, but besides that it won't be that great.
Pfft, no one makes Trick Room work.
That's not true. It actually can do well. I've gotten pretty high up with a TR team.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
These attacks are all gimmicky, to be frank. They can maybe help you in a battle, but with Trick Room being the exception, they won't turn the tide.
Besides Skarmory in OU, who would actually be afraid of Gravity? The accuracy boost is nice, but getting hit by Focus Blast, Thunder, Fire Blast, Stone Edge, and Hydro Pump 100% of the time is not. Magic Room prevents your items from working, too. Wonder Room... The idea has merit, but it's overall stupid.
These gimmicks may work in lower tiers where Gravity users are more common, but besides that it won't be that great.

That's not true. It actually can do well. I've gotten pretty high up with a TR team.

oh, i've totally been making Gravity work on random matchup with nidoking. it's beastly. i've been using tailwind with it, but i'm thinking of using Trick Room instead. i'll trade the speed ev's for hp ev's to give it better bulk.
edit: Dusclops lead in triples, start with trick room, while the other 2 protect (or something) and then gravity the next turn (which goes first cuz dusclops is deadly slow) and then i spam high powered attacks. bam.

Just saying, using Gravity with a Pokemon with Blizzard/Fire Blast/Thunder is almost like slapping an extra Life Orb on a Pokemon with Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt. It's actually a pretty nice boost, and it also let's Pokemon like Nidoking wreak Levitators and Flyers with their Ground STAB. It would be a lot more useful if there was some kind of ability or item that made it last longer.

zerofield

i miss miror
mostly, these moves are too gimmicky to use or just plain bad o3o i mean trick room teams can be good but magic room and wonder room are terrible and gravity's not too far behind

Wolf Prince

Lycan Seraph
Gravity could be taken a large advantage of and Gravity doesn't take the tytping off Fliers it only makes them susceptible to ground attacks so i was thinking Magnezone with Gravity and zap cannon would be fairly interesting.
Magic room sounds interesting, nto beeing able to use items, most pokemon are weak withouth items such as Chansey is nothing withouth it's eviolite. This is so interesting, i could one day try to make a team out of Gravity.

Rhonder

I feel like they could be fun and interesting to use, though I'd definitely rank Trick Room and Gravity as the 2 best ones (maybe the item stoping one in doubles/triples). I feel like the Def. swapping one is too situational, but the theoretical attack swapping one that was brought up I think could be really cool. I tried making a gravity team recently, and it was pretty badly put together, but it wasn't terrible, and TR quite a few people already use, so yeah.

M4zz

Banned
They pretty much all suck. The only remotely usable one is Trick Room but even that is a stretch.

Gravity is bad too but every once in a while I lose to a random Scarf Landorus or Mamoswine on a Gravity team.

This basically explains it. These field effects aren't all that great and require an extremely heavy amount of prediction alongside a very well built team to be effectively used. Not really worth the effort.

thatjeremykid

.Memento.Mori.
well i don't know about you guys. i've been making gravity work really well with some Taunt support. i suppose the team is built around more than just gravity, it's pretty decent though.

also, i don't know what made me think of this, but how cool would a field effect be that eliminated Typing and all it's advantages/disadvantages? no weakness/immunities/resists, no STAB, etc