1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Under the Pledging Tree! (862)

Discussion in 'Pokémon the Series: XY - Kalos Quest' started by Serebii, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Pokeball Rank Trainer

Oh, & here I thought the special prize was blue tape. At least the ribbon makes more sense, in a way :\

2. yuoke

yuoke Treasure huntin'

I hope so, ash is just destined to get dunsparce now, and it's ironic how he appeared both in episodes that were shipping related only to be the cause of ash dissapointing the girl.

3. Mr. Reloaded

Mr. Reloaded An enigma

lol at the people who thought this was going somewhere nice and yummy tears for me to drink though.

The whole thing was cute and enjoyable.

4. Lord Trollbias

Lord Trollbias Y'all Salty Bishes

Dunsparce scene made the episode for me. Rest was just meh. 6/10 I suppose.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  5. Navin

Navin MALDREAD

And the most hyped episode in XY ends up being.......underwhelming.

Mal's Review -

Pros (small moments here and there):

* Ramos flashback art - Was that supposed to tell me that Ramos is a 500 year old vampire who lived through the entire tree growing up to that size???
    * Hawlucha's bravado antics in front of everyone
    * Team Rocket's ridiculous camouflage outfit
    * Dunsparce scene
    * Yung Smogonfrog going after TR without any command
    * Team Rocket still getting gifts for their Pokemon
    * Clemont's gift was the best and most creative - and it didn't explode

Cons:

* "Date" - So you finally have Ash and Serena completely alone in a romantic town with romantic sunsets and......you spend than half of it with Ash going off by himself and Serena by herself, smh. Well at least for Amourshippers, they got to see Ash give Serena those blue ribbons he won earlier - of course, I don't see how that would have been particularly useful in Ash's hands anyway.
    * My expectation for this episode was that we'd get a scene like the one at the cliff/river during the camp where Ash and Serena have a genuine interaction with one another - but that didn't happen. This could have been a good opportunity for Serena to express her worries about her upcoming Performance, and Ash talking to her about his own jitters in battling. But nope.
    * Ash spends an entire episode trying to find a gift for his Pokemon and instead....gets them berries??? Why not just go to the supermarket then kek? A meaningful gift would have been getting something unique for each of his mons, like something wrestling-related to Hawlucha, for example.
    * Filler episode

A 4/10. -1 for all the hype beforehand: 3/10.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  6. Janovy

Janovy Banned

Well that blue tape WAS the ribbon. :D

7. Mr.Munchlax

Mr.Munchlax Pokeball Rank Trainer

I know that now :p, it just seems a little weird though that they'd give a ribbon as a special present aside from it being a Serena-related plot convenience. If anything, they could've given the winner a gift certificate, or a discount coupon like in the games, or something

8. AuraChannelerChris

AuraChannelerChris "Hey, Deku, you looking up your name on Googl-?"

Yup. I knew for sure there was no date stuff in this. And Serena possibly just brushed it off like that without a second thought.

Dunsparce again? It's becoming a running gag now.

Well, until the next shipping-heavy episode, which will be actually very light.

9. LizardonX

LizardonX Banned

Woow,another episode butchered by team rocket. Nothing is sacred in this show.

10. MiWeezing

MiWeezing New Member

So Ash didn't even buy her the gift, and he ditches her halfway through the episode to catch a Pokemon? That's... poetic in a way. At least now we can stop pretending this will ever be a two-sided ship when it's being portrayed as one-sided as possible.

Otherwise a mundane filler episode.

11. K.N.

K.N. Well-Known Member

Ash was having a hard time figuring out what he should get his Pokemon, and Serena made the comment that he'd think of something because his Pokemon are a lot like him. Ash loves eating, as we've seen. I think it worked. I don't think Ash or his Pokemon are really for gifts that don't serve some practical purpose- in this case, eating up so they can be ready for their next battle.

And yeah, he could go and just buy them at the supermarket, but that's like saying "why hand-make a birthday card when you can get one from Hallmark"

12. Pepsi_Plunge

Pepsi_Plunge Dojyaaa~~aan

He tried doing it int he 5gen and it didnt get an evo in the 6th.

13. Konoko_Hasano

Konoko_Hasano Ralts Line Samba

And your point is what exactly? After this many years and this many episodes, to actually get bothered by, or complain that an episode is 'filler' in Pokemon is a completely asinine thing to do. In fact, the use of the term 'filler' when referring to the Pokemon anime is dumb as well. I mean, what do you expect when probably around 90% of the anime could just be considered that by your standards?

It's a kids anime. It's going to have a lot of silly/cute/whatever episodes.

Your cynicism is rather amusing here, as well as the fact that you seem SHOCKED by the things that the anime is known for.

14. Cortana

Cortana Misty is the Best

What was in the present that he gave to Serena that was given to him?

15. Janovy

Janovy Banned

A blue ribbon. Now, as to how Serena will use it...

16. AshSerena

AshSerena Well-Known Member

do you guys think it is same ribbon that ash give to serena? if yes then im sure serena gonna use it for her tripokalon
    This is Ash Give to Serena
    [IMGSIZE=400]http://i.imgur.com/wf3VAtJ.jpg[/IMGSIZE]

and this is The DoriDori Ending Theme and if you look closely to Serena outfit here, its all wrap by Blue Ribbon like this one
    [IMGSIZE=400]http://i.imgur.com/ZId7Qrd.jpg[/IMGSIZE]

17. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Baseball is back!

Showcases, hopefully. I imagine she'll wear it for each one since it means so much to her.

18. Soniman

Soniman Break the Limit

In a series with 800 episodes, I dont understand why we're still marking down episodes like this for being filler instead of the actual quality in it, it just seems unfair to me.
    Also calling this episode filler is questionable since Serena got her performance outfit in it.

They were around for like 10% of the episode??

Even ignoring the Amour stuff it was still a heartwarming episode, though I can't say im surprised to see it get slammed here

I didnt see this, thank you so much

19. mavyric

mavyric Member

Hmm, well this episode was underwhelming to say the least.

Here's my take of a point by point breakdown

1. The "date"
    So that was much fuss over nothing......it wasn't even much of a misunderstanding from Serena, save for that one remark, which wasn't really expanded upon anyways. If anything, she was just happy to get some alone time with Ash.

2. Interactions
    Now here's where I'm really disappointed in the writers....they could have used this time to develop both Ash and Serena's characters more, but instead they chose to basically waste 5 minutes doing absolutely nothing. This was an easy chance to both appease shippers and Serena fans, yet somehow they ended up not doing either, and still ended up wasting time for neutrals. The only meaningful interaction was where Serena gave advice for Ash on how to choose gifts. It's a nice moment at all, but it doesn't really do anything to advance the plot. We already know from the past gym episodes that Serena encourages Ash to be himself. Why not talk about something new?

3. Serena's development
    I said before I would've liked Serena to use this chance to go over how she intends to approach the Tripokalon in terms of costume and design, yet not a word was mentioned. This also brings the point to Serena's moms gift to her at the end. It's heartwarming that her mom is actively supporting her, yet at the same time I think this goes against one of her important character traits- which is being able to decide for herself.

Letting her mom choose what she wears completely defeats this purpose.

4. The vow/promise tree
    This again is very puzzling from the writers. Why choose this name for an event if you aren't going to utilize the namesake? I guess we already know their respective goals, but it would've been easy to add a little more resolve during this part. Instead it just serves as (admittedly nice) eyecandy

5. The presents
    Probably the only real good thing from this episode. It was nice seeing how everyone choose their gifts based on personality, and the actual giving scenes were cute and heartwarming. Bonus points for the TRio scene where they also gave gifts.

And yay, Ash did actually give a present to Serena!

It's not much but I guess I'll take it. A tiny first step at least.

As for what it's going to be used for, people are already pointing out it's similarities to the ribbons on Serena's costume during the ED. Judging from next episode's preview though, it probably won't be used in the upcoming Tripokalon

20. Squirtle_007

Squirtle_007 Well-Known Member

Ash gave Iris a flower, that must means he wants to get into her clothes, and Dunsparce appearing randomly here must be a symbolism that Negaishipping is bigger than ever, Ash just wants to get one because it reminds him his true and only love with abundant purple hair yes, I'm being sarcastic

So, Ash ditched Serena at the half of the episode to search food for his Pokémon and gave her a ribbon that he got for free, enough "romance" for you?

Seriously, the episode got zero hype FROM THE BROADCASTING, all the hype was from the shippers and their crazy ideas thinking they are a real market target and it's all that it is