• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Under the Pledging Tree! (862)

Pokegirl0102

Yes this was good episode and i glad the dub was smart enough to leave the word date out of the title because it was anything but that, i really enjoyed how everyone gave gifts pending on their personal taste and was so cute of Bonnie to draw pictures of all the pokemon

nickdt

This was a great episode, not a filler. It really showed the bond between the trainers and the pokemon (And Bonnie). I was pleasantly surprised Clemonts present didn't blow up. But the best part for me was that Jessie and James had presents, not only for there pokemon, but also for Meowth (I cried when i saw them giving him a present and he was surprised about it. I found it special, because they said they cared about him but had never showed it before).

Vipsoccermaster

That episode was awesome. Serena and Ash spending time with each other is very nice to see, plus, all those gifts they gave to the Pokémon. Simply wonderful. Even Team Rocket play that part, too.

Lol, and they continue with the Dunsparce teasing.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Was it just me, or was Dunsparce giant in this episode? Also, is it just going to be a running joke having Ash fail to catch Dunsparce?

As for the episode itself, my annoyance with Serena's "story" continues. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with them having Ash get a girlfriend (assuming they wrote it right), but it's just annoying that Serena's single major characteristic is her crush on Ash and that it will never turn into anything. Why push it when its just going to be discarded?

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I loved this episode 10/10!
I loved the Dunsparce scene. If that is Ash's running gag, I approve.

The part with Team Rocket giving their Pokemon presents was nice too.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
This episode was so lovely, had me smiling from ear to ear. It was such a great story with trainers picking gifts for their Pokémon and we got Serena and Ash alone together so they could interact. Unfortunately for Serena, for Ash it is still a sparking friendship which should last forever. All the little touches were great too, Bonnie drawing a picture, Team Rocket getting gifts and I thought Clemont's gift was great!

We need more episodes like this. Onto the next one!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
This is by far in my top favorite XY episodes. I loved how this wasn't an Ash/Serena "date" centered plot, but everybody was involved. The present giving between the gang and their Pokemon was lovely. Clemont's gift made me choke up for a bit. So sweeeet. ;-; Even Team Rocket showed care for their Pokemon by providing a cute gift. Such a positive, happy episode~

Even though there was no date, Ash and Serena got development in their friendship. Glad this episode existed, and glad that Courmarine City exists in XY.

Classify this anyway you wish, but it was a darn good episode.

You know, I would have thought the whole 'Serena-thinking-that-her-and-Ash-being-alone-together-during-the-day-means-being-on-a-'date'-with-each-other' thing would be played out more for the whole episode.

But it was just that one scene where Serena realized that, and that was it. It wasn't mentioned in any large capacity again.

Not saying I'm disappointed, just saying in general, is all.

Vernikova

Champion
No, Serena, it's not like a date at all. The Substitute plush is on point. They gave they one millionth customer a ribbon. What a cheap company. An opportunity for Dunsparce falls through once again.

It's a cute episode. Team Rocket came up for no reason. So somewhere among those lines, is Serena's name in Pokemonese.

Mr. Oshawott

Although nothing really spectacular has occurred in this episode, I did enjoy the beautiful lighting of the Pledging Tree and the gift-giving that occurred near the end.
Too bad Ash had to let Dunsparce be since he left all of his Pokémon at the Pokémon Center.

halloweenghost

Good, touching episode... it made me smile, glad they didn't exclude Team rocket in giving of gifts.. oh and yeah.. a blue ribbon,.. thats pretty cheap for being the millionth customer :p

Going into the episode I had no doubt that it would be a fun episode, but nowhere in my mind did I think that there was going to be anything huge with Serena and Ash. He is soooo oblivious that it is just never going to happen. Him giving her the ribbon was shocking to me(lol and that's saying something) Bonnie was fun to watch and the TR scenes were pretty fun to watch
7/10

Pikachu52

Some date Serena. You and Ash were alone together for less than five minutes. The point of the episode was more about the pledging tree and the friendship between Pokémon and trainer, which is good. I had a bad feeling about this episode given it was hyped as being a fanservice episode, but it was quite good. Pity Ash didn't personalise Pikachu's gift a bit more. They're so close you'd think Ash could have found something he knew the mouse would like. Fruit was a bit of an easy way out. At least it was hand picked. Nice team rocket got gifts for their Pokèmon. Bonnies drawing was terrible though. 7/10

Was it just me, or was Dunsparce giant in this episode? Also, is it just going to be a running joke having Ash fail to catch Dunsparce?

No it wasn't just you - That Dunsparce was much larger than the one Ash failed to catch in Unova.

As for the episode itself, my annoyance with Serena's "story" continues. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with them having Ash get a girlfriend (assuming they wrote it right), but it's just annoying that Serena's single major characteristic is her crush on Ash and that it will never turn into anything. Why push it when its just going to be discarded?

I agree with you 100%. Personally I think the crush aspect of Serena is pure fanservice to try and boost ratings following disappointment after BW and appeal to a periphery demographic. Thankfully the emphasis on the crush aspect of Serena does seem to have faded in the later part of the series. Personally I would prefer Ash to be partnered with Pikachu or one of his Pokémon than having a girlfriend as such but I don't pretend for one moment that it's likely that pathway would be followed.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Too bad Ash had to let Dunsparce be since he left all of his Pokémon at the Pokémon Center.

I think I'm one of the few people who was relieved that he didn't catch it hee hee. Honestly I just wouldn't have seen the use for it on his team cuz it's simply a normal type.

Gillachu

Banned
Lol the infamous shipping tease episode. I'm still not sure why anyone even thought Serena and Ash would go out on a real date. They're 10 ffs. :cool:

JudySpell

Banned
This date episode was super misleading and Ash failing to catch Dunsparce was such a troll move from the writers as well. 5/10

wobbanut

Team Awesome
Can I say how much I enjoyed this episode? It has so much going for it: Ash and Serena bonding, the twerps getting nice gifts for their pokemon (and Clemont's didn't blow up), Serena gets a nice gift from her mom, and, in a nice twist, even Jessie and James get gifts for their pokemon. It was the Team Rocket twist that really helped elevate this episode for me, since it's a caring side we don't always get to see. And the light-up animation was beautiful.

10/10