• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underappreciated Games in the Pokemon Series

For me I would have to say that it's Battle Revolution. I hear so many people complain about it for whatever reason. But I think it was pretty awesome and deserves a lot of respect. After all, it was the first ever game on the nintendo wii to use wifi. And on top of that, I just thought it was plain amazing. Battling people on the wifi using the wii was great

How can people hate Battle Revolution? This game raised the bar on awesomenes. And the 3D graphics and animation is top notch.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
How can people hate Battle Revolution? This game raised the bar on awesomenes. And the 3D graphics and animation is top notch.

Because after Colosseum and XD, people were expecting another 3D adventure game, not another tournament style game which is little more than glorified DLC for the 4th gen games.

SolidWolverine

My thoughts exactly. The graphics were awesome and the tournaments were pretty entertaining. It didn't have a colosseum or XD type of story. But it was awesome regardless

Because after Colosseum and XD, people were expecting another 3D adventure game, not another tournament style game which is little more than glorified DLC for the 4th gen games.

I understand that viewpoint. But I think the game was fitting. I don't believe they were aiming for the colosseum/XD mold. It was more heavily geared towards wifi, something the former two games didn't have

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Colosseum and XD- Great games, but I wish people saw the charm in them more. (Plus, I would like to see a Miror B. reference or something.)

PBR- I might get this game. Back in it's release, it was just not really worth the $50. However, it does the "battle frontier get-up" fairly well with very original ideas.

Box- Harshly expensive. I go to a video game store that offers it for $150 (for a copy they actually have), and they don't mess with prices. The problem with this game other than price, is that since new generations allowed transference rather than trade, the use for this dwindle.

My Pokemon Ranch- Same but different problems. It stores just for Diamond and Pearl (Platinum expansion only in Japan), but its use hasn't went down as much as Box (considering that there are no 5th gen storage games yet). It's ten dollars;you get a Mew. What was the real problem with this game? Sometimes I even enjoyed seeing what my Pokemon do.

Pokemon Channel- People criticize this game (like G4) and don't realize the target audience. Other than PAL Jirachi, this game looked fine for what little of a game it was supposed to be.

Last edited:

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I understand that viewpoint. But I think the game was fitting. I don't believe they were aiming for the colosseum/XD mold. It was more heacily geared towards wifi, something the former two games didn't have

Meh, I find Stadium/Battle Revolution type games pointless. Like I said, they're little more than an add on to whatever generation of games it's for. Hopefully we'll never see those types of games again, we already have places like the World Tournament which fulfill the same purpose and already have DLC tournaments.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I have to give a mention the Ranger games. They were fun games that made a simple element very engaging. What's more, they actually improved the game with each iteration.

Kim62

Hello
Because the Stadium games did most of the things PBR did and more.

There are a few things they added like designing your own character but a game which is mostly composed of fighting is not extremely fun (unless it's a fighting game but even those games tend to have more variety then PBR).

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Also, I just looked at BW2 on Metacritic, and it is most certainly not getting "skewered". There's several positive reviews, and several negative reviews. It's doing about average.

It's averaging something around 80%ish from the critics; Gamespot gave it a 6.5, and others have given it 7s. For a major title, that's honestly pretty bad.

Granted, the user score is more 88/89, but dat critic score is what I was referring to.

It was hard to decide, but I have to agree with Nyarlathotep & BritishWeavile and say DPPt. For me personally however it was R/S/E. The villians ruined it, the storyline was incredibly mediocre.

This...

Is not the thread you are looking for.

How can people hate Battle Revolution?

By not having worthwhile content?

Would you play with a literal turd if it was displayed in 3D, in 1400p?

It was more heavily geared towards wifi, something the former two games didn't have

but

DP had WiFi anyway, soooo

SolidWolverine

Meh, I find Stadium/Battle Revolution type games pointless. Like I said, they're little more than an add on to whatever generation of games it's for. Hopefully we'll never see those types of games again, we already have places like the World Tournament which fulfill the same purpose and already have DLC tournaments.

We might have World Tournament and other DLC tournaments, but it's completely handheld(which is ok). I just believe the majority of people enjoy playing with their pokemon on the big screen consoles. There's just something about the graphics and animations of a console like the N64/Gamecube/Wii that adds another aspect to the game, whether it has a story or not

I'm not disagreeing on your point that it's DLC-like, I just don't mind it being that way :)
I personally would enjoy being able to play with my BW pokemon on the big screen

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I have to give a mention the Ranger games. They were fun games that made a simple element very engaging. What's more, they actually improved the game with each iteration.

The first two were good, I'll admit, but Guardian Signs felt a bit too rehashed, and was way too easy.

It's averaging something around 80%ish from the critics; Gamespot gave it a 6.5, and others have given it 7s. For a major title, that's honestly pretty bad.

Granted, the user score is more 88/89, but dat critic score is what I was referring to.

In what parallel universe is 80% a bad score? It's an okay score at worst. And most other Pokemon games get an 80-something on Metacritic, while BW2 currently has an 81. It's slightly below average, but in no way bad.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Pokemon/results

We might have World Tournament and other DLC tournaments, but it's completely handheld(which is ok). I just believe the majority of people enjoy playing with their pokemon on the big screen consoles. There's just something about the graphics and animations of a console like the N64/Gamecube/Wii that adds another aspect to the game, whether it has a story or not

I'm not disagreeing on your point that it's DLC-like, I just don't mind it being that way :)
I personally would enjoy being able to play with my BW pokemon on the big screen

It doesn't really matter to me, I just want something different and substantial.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
The first two were good, I'll admit, but Guardian Signs felt a bit too rehashed, and was way too easy.
Maybe I like archipelagos too much. Have you tried the past missions past the Fire Temple. Those missions were difficult. I had a friend and we got to the first of the Dark Temple missions.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
We might have World Tournament and other DLC tournaments, but it's completely handheld(which is ok). I just believe the majority of people enjoy playing with their pokemon on the big screen consoles.

Um, no. Every major Pokemon game has been on a handheld device. Oddly enough, graphics have little effect on gameplay or content.[/QUOTE]

In what parallel universe is 80% a bad score? It's an okay score at worst. And most other Pokemon games get an 80-something on Metacritic, while BW2 currently has an 81. It's slightly below average, but in no way bad.

http://www.metacritic.com/search/all/Pokemon/results

Five points is a fairly large difference when it comes to video game scores, especially in that range. For a major video game in a franchise as large as Pokemon, getting the number of low scores that it got is bad.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Maybe I like archipelagos too much. Have you tried the past missions past the Fire Temple. Those missions were difficult. I had a friend and we got to the first of the Dark Temple missions.

The past missions are meant to be co-op, and it's only local wireless, meaning that if you don't know anyone else IRL that has the game, you're pretty much screwed.

Five points is a fairly large difference when it comes to video game scores, especially in that range. For a major video game in a franchise as large as Pokemon, getting the number of low scores that it got is bad.

Not really. 80 is still considered a good score. Of course, that depends on who you talk to, but most people will consider 80 to be good.

SolidWolverine

Um, no. Every major Pokemon game has been on a handheld device. Oddly enough, graphics have little effect on gameplay or content.

No offense, but it seems you completely misunderstand my point. Of course every major pokemon game has been on a handheld device, that goes without saying(and for the record, I never said they were not)
Neither did I say that the graphics had a HUGE affect on the game itself, I just said it made it different, that's all.
My main(and only statement) was that I enjoyed the big console games. I made no direct comparison at all to the handhelds.
When I said "We might have World Tournament and other DLC tournaments, but it's completely handheld(which is ok)" I was just alluding to 3d graphics of PBR.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Not really. 80 is still considered a good score. Of course, that depends on who you talk to, but most people will consider 80 to be good.

80 is generally considered decent. It's more 80-90 is good, and 90-100 is great. Below 80 is more meh, and below 70 is bad.

No offense, but it seems you completely misunderstand my point. Of course every major pokemon game has been on a handheld device, that goes without saying(and for the record, I never said they were not)
Neither did I say that the graphics had a HUGE affect on the game itself, I just said it made it different, that's all.
My main(and only statement) was that I enjoyed the big console games. I made no direct comparison at all to the handhelds.
When I said "We might have World Tournament and other DLC tournaments, but it's completely handheld(which is ok)" I was just alluding to 3d graphics of PBR.

I... I...

I still have no idea why anyone would pay $50 for a 3D graphics add-on. Literally. It's an add-on.

Last edited:

SolidWolverine

I... I...

I still have no idea why anyone would pay $50 for a 3D graphics add-on. Literally. It's an add-on.

Hey, I completely agree with you bro. $50 may have been a bit much. I would rather it be like$25-$30 back then(it's currenly $26 at gamestop) lol

I was just trying to say that add-on or not, I enjoy it for what it is, that's all :)

Born Better

God of Lightning
To me,it seems like the main reason battle revolution was made was for big tournaments.Kind of like how Colosseum/XD were used during the 10th anniversary thing.

Maetch

Trozei! is a fun little puzzle game, but everybody likes to tear into it for being "too mindless" of a puzzle game and for its "horrible" character designs (because no one will accept anything other than "generic anime style #45" for a Pokemon game). Personally, I want a new game that features SOL and Lucy Fleetfoot, but not necessarily a sequel to Trozei! I mean, the secret-agent theme could be taken a bit further, much moreso than a puzzle game can offer.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Trozei! is a fun little puzzle game, but everybody likes to tear into it for being "too mindless" of a puzzle game and for its "horrible" character designs (because no one will accept anything other than "generic anime style #45" for a Pokemon game). Personally, I want a new game that features SOL and Lucy Fleetfoot, but not necessarily a sequel to Trozei! I mean, the secret-agent theme could be taken a bit further, much moreso than a puzzle game can offer.

This. This is exactly what I want. Trozei was great, and a sequel would be great, heck a game with Lucy would be great, she could even appear as a characer in the main games. A SOL agent hat liberates pokémon that were stolen from their owners sounds pretty good for a main game to me.

EDIT: Rank Up! So this town is a hideout for ninjas? Meh.

Last edited:

PKMN TRAINER Oliver

ポケットモンスタ一
I liked XD and I want there to be a new XD game, but with more wild Pokémon and a full 8 gyms with an elite 4 and champion.