• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.
TBH 100% honest, Flareon *hides in corner* Nah, im just kidding, it is really good. It has all it needs between Guts+Flame Charge+Facade or, you can end a BP chain with it, it gets Stored Power+Fire Blast+HP [Grass]+Signal Beam to murder everything after a few boosts. IMO, it should be UU. SR Is NOT everything, and not every physical fire type needs flare Blitz! Such as Houndoom (Mixed) is in UU without Flare blitz!

Stealth Rocks is not the only reason Flareon is in NU instead of a higher tier. In fact that might even be one of the smallest reasons. I think more then anything it is because Flareon only really big stand out trait is its huge Attack stat. But since it does not have a movepool that can take advantage of its offensive power to its best potential (To be honest it is hard to even work with its movepool since most sets it can run are not as good as they could be because of its not so great stats) and also very poor defenses and speed (Besides Spec Def which is decent) it becomes less useful then Pokemon like Arcainine or Infernape or even Magmortar. And Houndoom may not have Flare Blitz. But it doesnt need Flare Blitz. Its stats support a Special Attacker anyway. Also its movepool is a lot better and it is faster and has better defenses even if they arent that great which shows just how bad Flareons are. There is a lot more you can do with Houndoom then you can do with Flareon. There is a lot more you can do with most competitive Fire types then you can do with Flareon. I mean using something different is one thing but limiting how effective your team can be is a nother thing

I feel like Hippo deserves more usage. It's mixed special defensive set takes literally every hit I have ever needed it to and it almost always asks for seconds. I've used TTar quite a bit but I find weather wars soooo much easier with Hippo it isn't funny

tumblr_ml48xy33mb1s0hia6o1_250.gif

Hipp+Ttar is pretty nice

Moonclawz

Aura Trainer
I feel like Hippo deserves more usage. It's mixed special defensive set takes literally every hit I have ever needed it to and it almost always asks for seconds. I've used TTar quite a bit but I find weather wars soooo much easier with Hippo it isn't funny

I agree. Although I usually use Ttar, Hippodown's great defense and bulk is really amazing. Being able to take a +2 Close Combat from Adamant Lucario is no easy feat. (Skamory is KO'd (87.5% of the time) after Stealth Rocks and Forretress is KO'd about half the time.)

ToeyJoey

The Count
Don't knock, it's netted two kills in three matches.

(Not that I can remember the format...)

Unown@Choice Band
Timid
4 HP/252 Spd/252 Sp. Attack
Hidden Power (Psychic)

Need that STAB...

Weavile32

Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.

ToeyJoey

The Count

What does this stand for?

To add to the thread, I don't think Gliscor is forgotten, since Poison Heal it has skyrocketed...

KillerDraco

Gliscor is pretty much forgotten even though its really strong. And Tropius, even though it cant evolve, has decent stats, a nice move pool, and its typing is really uncommon. Same with skarmory.

Gliscor still sees a respectable amount of usage. It's not underrated. Skarmory has NEVER been underrated since its release in GSC.

Tropius suffers from piss-poor speed, a stealth rock weakness, and its decent bulk is sabotaged by its 4x weakness to Ice. It's stuck in the low tiers for a reason, and struggles to counter Fighting and Water types due to its poor speed and weaknesses. Something like Sawk, Gorebyss, or Samurott will almost always have an ice type attack and swiftly dispatch of Tropius before it can even move. And if it tries to switch in? Hah. No, Tropius is pretty bad. Not underrated because its flaws are too abundant.

windsong

WEST SIDE
what a lot of the people posting here need to realize is that a lot of the things suggested here aren't underrated, they just legitimately suck more than blue harvest

(that is a lot btw)

Well now that this thread seems to be alive again . . . lately I have been using Hitmonlee quite a bit and I find it to be a very good late game sweeper/revenge killer with Unburden. With Fake Out/Hi Jump Kick/Sucker Punch/Earthquake(Or Stone Edge) it is able to check a good amount of the OU metagame especially with hazards up and outspeed any unboosted Pokemon in the entire tier and some Scarfers with a speed of over 500.

Tropius typing hurts it more then anything else I think

ToeyJoey

The Count
Tropius typing hurts it more then anything else I think

4x weakness to the Dragon killer Ice and weakness to Stealth Rock? Yes it does.

Zachmac

4x weakness to the Dragon killer Ice and weakness to Stealth Rock? Yes it does.
Dragonite has much higher attack, and enough speed to outrun most pokemon with only one Dragon Dance, making it much more offensively powerful. It's dragon typing may give it a weakness to stealth rocks, but it resist fire and grass type moves, making it an excellent check to sun teams. Multiscale is a huge boost if you can manage to get it in without being damaged by stealth rocks, helps you use roost more effectively, and almost guarantees you'll manage to pull off a dragon dance, and can often help you get two, doubling your attack and speed. The only type that resist dragon is steel, which is easily handled with Fire Punch or Earthquake.

It's offensive power is very weak, and you'll need to pull off several dragon dances in order to truly be an offensive threat. However, it's HP, defense, and resistances aren't very impressive, so this probably won't happen much. As for it's typing...it's uncommon, but that doensn't instantly mean useful. It may be able to handle opposing grass types a bit better, thanks to it's flying STAB, but with it's low speed, low power, and Ice/Rock weakness, it won't be countering the stone edge carrying fighting types or ice beam carrying water types very well.

In short...Tropius's stats and typing don't provide it with enough to justify it's weaknesses, while Dragonite's stats, typing, and moves do.

ToeyJoey

The Count
Dragonite has much higher attack, and enough speed to outrun most pokemon with only one Dragon Dance, making it much more offensively powerful. It's dragon typing may give it a weakness to stealth rocks, but it resist fire and grass type moves, making it an excellent check to sun teams. Multiscale is a huge boost if you can manage to get it in without being damaged by stealth rocks, helps you use roost more effectively, and almost guarantees you'll manage to pull off a dragon dance, and can often help you get two, doubling your attack and speed. The only type that resist dragon is steel, which is easily handled with Fire Punch or Earthquake.

It's offensive power is very weak, and you'll need to pull off several dragon dances in order to truly be an offensive threat. However, it's HP, defense, and resistances aren't very impressive, so this probably won't happen much. As for it's typing...it's uncommon, but that doensn't instantly mean useful. It may be able to handle opposing grass types a bit better, thanks to it's flying STAB, but with it's low speed, low power, and Ice/Rock weakness, it won't be countering the stone edge carrying fighting types or ice beam carrying water types very well.

In short...Tropius's stats and typing provide it with enough to justify it's weaknesses, while Dragonite's stats, typing, and moves do.

Okay, you got me. You're right. Except I can't quite understand your last sentence...

Rising Star

Certified Boss
Not sure if anyone said mentioned these but: Chansey and Blissey

Remember back in the good old days of 4th gen blissey was THE most common special wall. Literally. EVERYONE had a blissey. The metagame was pretty much centralized around blissey and how to counter it.

With the arrival of eviolite, chansey gained notable attention in the early to mid BW meta on stall teams. But alas, they've both fallen from grace as stall has pretty much died out. Nowadays,

blissey is sitting at #35 and chansey at #56 in usage statistics. For a period of time, Blissey was even suspected for UU. It's a shame, really. They're both highly underrated.

Yes, they're countered by a large portion of the meta, but if you use them effectively, they can still offer amazing team support. It's too bad most people don't know how to use them effectively...

Not sure if anyone said mentioned these but: Chansey and Blissey

Remember back in the good old days of 4th gen blissey was THE most common special wall. Literally. EVERYONE had a blissey. The metagame was pretty much centralized around blissey and how to counter it.

With the arrival of eviolite, chansey gained notable attention in the early to mid BW meta on stall teams. But alas, they've both fallen from grace as stall has pretty much died out. Nowadays,

blissey is sitting at #35 and chansey at #56 in usage statistics. For a period of time, Blissey was even suspected for UU. It's a shame, really. They're both highly underrated.

Yes, they're countered by a large portion of the meta, but if you use them effectively, they can still offer amazing team support. It's too bad most people don't know how to use them effectively...

How do you use them effectively when Keldeo is nuking everything atm?

Rising Star

Certified Boss
This is why we have team support. Obviously you would not keep a chansey/blissey in on a keldeo. That's like saying "How do I counter terrakion witth my blissey?"

ToeyJoey

The Count
This is why we have team support. Obviously you would not keep a chansey/blissey in on a keldeo. That's like saying "How do I counter terrakion witth my blissey?"

Toxic, Focus Sash, hope protect works until Terrakion faints?

Focus Sash, use Counter?

Obviously that user title of "Certified Boss" is mistaken. Chansey and Blissey kill almost all momentum when used on a nonstall team, which is why they aren't being used. Plus Keldeo is on basically every team and it obliterates them.

Mr. Timn

with an "n"!
a big problem with blissey is that so many special attackers have good ways around it. latios can kill it in two hits with psyshock or trick a specs on to it. keldeo has secret sword of course. reuniclus has psyshock too, and rotom-w has trick as well. thundurs-t is so insanely strong that it actually 2hkos after a nasty plot even with a non boosting item. unless blissey has thunder wave or fire blast or something, venusaur just sets up on it and then spams giga drain. you might be able to take on volcarona, unless it's in the sun, in which case more offensive sets 2hko you with fire blast after a quiver dance boost. you only beat a few special attackers, like starmie and jolteon. there are other specially based pokemon that you can handle with blissey such as tentacruel and jellicent, but they are usually much weaker support pokemon, and it's not very impressive when you wall a support pokemon.

i wouldnt say that blissey is underrated, just that she's not that great in this metagame.

Status
Not open for further replies.