• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Dusknoir is really underrated. Just because you use it doesn't mean you're a noob. Dusknoir may be outclassed as a wall in OU and may suck in RU, but when you use it as a SubPuncher, it suddenly becomes very good. I posted a team that got 1935 ACRE on Pokemon Showdown with 19-9-1. Substitute/Focus Punch/Shadow Sneak/Will-o-Wisp is the way to go with Dusk.

Azulart

Shiny Hunter
Dusknoir is really underrated. Just because you use it doesn't mean you're a noob. Dusknoir may be outclassed as a wall in OU and may suck in RU, but when you use it as a SubPuncher, it suddenly becomes very good. I posted a team that got 1935 ACRE on Pokemon Showdown with 19-9-1. Substitute/Focus Punch/Shadow Sneak/Will-o-Wisp is the way to go with Dusk.

Agreed, I think every pokemon has it's ninche. Dusknoir has an ninche over its pre-succor Dusclops by not relying on Eviolite and have instead an recovery in leftovers aswell.
Not to mention his stats are higher in general, more capeable of doing harder damage with Punch moves.

Underrated pokemon are great in my perspective, especially when they are used in higher tiers.
(Especially because the higher tier poks teams are not prepared for lower tiers mons in most cases, this can give you an advantage in suprise factor)

Most people who have great scores in OU have pokemon like Garchomp..cresselia..dragonite etc.. etc.. those people are considerd as "Champs"
but I on the other hand consider you an Champ when you use Furret against OU teams and make victory's with it :)

MCBarrett

MCBarrett
I think Gothitelle is a very underrated threat as of late. Shadow Tag is one of the best abilites in the game and it allows Goth to either be a great Revenge Killer with a Choice Scarf, or it can take out bulkier pokes, namely Weather Starters with Choice Specs. Plus it can always Trick a choice item to cripple the opponent. Basically it can fulfill a ton of different roles effectively to cater to your team's needs and it needs little support to do so. It also partners really well with setup sweepers or just any weather team that needs some extra trapping prowess.

I'm sorry, but no, Dusknoir still sucks horribly in OU. By the way you put it, it looks like the only reason you had any real success with it was merely the fact that people played badly against it, which proves nothing. Dusknoir has an incredible number of problems. First of all, it doesn't actually do anything except get a little surprise damage every once in a while. It's hard to say that it actually spinblocks when it often loses to the two best spinners in the tier. The only way that Dusknoir can avoid the 2HKO from offensive Starmie after SR is if runs Surf > Hydro Pump, has no Life Orb, has Natural Cure > Analytic, and is not in Rain. Otherwise, Starmie just 2HKOs (or OHKOs) Dusknoir on the switch-in. More defensive Rain teams often run SubToxic Tentacruel to beat Jellicent, and it can create Subs that survive Focus Punch and always break your Subs with a Rain-boosted Scald.

Dusknoir also doesn't actually threaten much when it comes in. Depending on the damage roll, Jolly Breloom only needs 4 or 5 Bullet Seed hits to KO Dusknoir. Celebi does pretty much whatever it wants since Shadow Sneak doesn't get even close to a 2HKO. Scarf Terrakion will usually 2HKO after SR with Stone Edge, and Band is even worse. Most Rain-boosted attacks coming off offensive Pokemon are going to be doing tons of damage, if not KOing altogether. Dragons just eat Dusknoir alive. That's just a few; Dusknoir does not succeed as a bulky offensive pivot at all.

Dusknoir also has problems with its stats themselves. For one thing, it's pretty weak. Base 100 Atk stat isn't that bad, but it's relying on the unreliable Focus Punch for its power since Shadow Sneak is just pitiful. This makes it very easy for many Pokemon to set up all over it and beat it, even if you can successfully force a switch and get a Substitute up. As mentioned before, SubToxic Tentacruel just sets up Subs all over it with ease. Poison Heal Gliscor laughs at everything it does. Gyarados with Sub or Taunt just sets up all over Dusknoir as well. BU Toxicroak plays mind games with you like you wouldn't believe. That, or it can just set up Subs until Focus Punch fails to break one (1/8 chance) and get up a Bulk Up, after which its Subs can't be one-shoted and it sets up all over you. Substitute Landorus-T plays with Dusknoir like Gyarados does, although it's admittedly rare. Shadow Sneak maxes out at 43.4% against SubCM Latias, so she just sets up on it as well unless you can predict around Sub with WoW perfectly. CM Reuniclus manhandles it because, again, Shadow Sneak is so weak. Venusaur can set up on it and heal back a lot of the damage that it does with Giga Drain. Any Volcarona with Roost sets up on it, and other sets without Roost can win and sweep depending on the circumstances.

Not only does it not do much damage, but it's not as bulky as its high defensive stats would lead you to believe due to its low base HP stat. It's barely bulkier than a Dragonite with equal investment (not counting Multiscale, of course), and it's less bulky than several common Pokemon such as Heatran, Jirachi, Celebi, Garchomp, and Conkeldurr (again, with equal investment) on one or both sides of the offensive spectrum. It also only has one common immunity and only one common resistance (if you even want to count Bug, since most of the time that's just U-turn, which is going to end up hurting Dusknoir in the end anyway). It also lacks reliable recovery to actually take advantage of what bulk it does have. All of this makes it very hard for Dusknoir to actually switch in and pose a threat unless the opponent is trapped into a Choice-locked Fighting move or something.

Honestly, there's not much that Dusknoir actually does that isn't done far better by something else. Its roles as a spin blocker and a bulky offensive pivot can be better performed by Pokemon such as Jellicent and Landorus-T, respectively. If you want a Substitute-based Ghost set that messes with its common counters and checks, just use SubWisp Gengar (which is a really cool set right now). Dusknoir just doesn't offer much of anything that I can't get from something else besides surprise value, which is never a good argument for viability. I'm glad you had success with it, since using a gimmick to success in OU is always fun, but all that means is that you outplayed bad opponents and/or got lucky. I've used plenty of gimmicks in various tiers myself (I once made the top 100 in OU on PO way back when with a team based around a QDPass Venomoth + SF Nidoking core), but just because you have success with a gimmick does not mean that it is actually good.

I Like Pie!

Smile smile smile!
Cinccino in OU. People underestimate this cutie when it can super-effectively hit all the weather starters and outspeed them effortlessly?

Weavile in OU. Mamoswine may be the premier Ice Shard user, but a Speed stat higher than all Dragons help clean Dragons before they can set up.

Eviolite Magneton in OU. It has served me better than Magnezone. Faster and bulkier. Lack of recovery hurts, but it's used just to get rid of Steels, which it can do very well.

Shedinja in Ubers. Kyogre cries. X'D

I doubt I'm in the right thread, but if you could answer my question or re direct me I'd appreciate it. Why does everyone run sp atk nidoqueen??

Status
Not open for further replies.