• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zachmac

I found Chansey to be a fairly decent way to help me deal with Terrakion. Yeah, I know, I sound ridiculous, but it did an excellent job at luring it out and hitting it with Thunder Wave on the switch. Most people expect Chansey to have toxic instead, so I usually catch them off guard.

Besides spreading paralysis around for my teammates, though, I didn't find that much use for it. I can understand why few people use them anymore. Especially Blissey, with it's ridiculously low defense.
Okay, you got me. You're right. Except I can't quite understand your last sentence...
That's because I forgot to add the word "don't". Thanks for pointing that out.
Obviously that user title of "Certified Boss" is mistaken.
Let's not go into the personal attacks. Especially when they carry a good argument. There is little need for them when most people are making offensive teams, but they still do have their uses.

Edit: I've actually had excellent experience with Rotom-M. I guess there isn't much demand for it with Rotom-W and Celebi running around, but I've found it to be a nice balance between the two for a Volturn core. Especially since it can deal with Gastrodon, the volt switcher's bane.

I found Chansey to be a fairly decent way to help me deal with Terrakion. Yeah, I know, I sound ridiculous, but it did an excellent job at luring it out and hitting it with Thunder Wave on the switch. Most people expect Chansey to have toxic instead, so I usually catch them off guard.

Besides spreading paralysis around for my teammates, though, I didn't find that much use for it. I can understand why few people use them anymore. Especially Blissey, with it's ridiculously low defense.That's because I forgot to add the word "don't". Thanks for pointing that out.Let's not go into the personal attacks. Especially when they carry a good argument. There is little need for them when most people are making offensive teams, but they still do have their uses.

Edit: I've actually had excellent experience with Rotom-M. I guess there isn't much demand for it with Rotom-W and Celebi running around, but I've found it to be a nice balance between the two for a Volturn core. Especially since it can deal with Gastrodon, the volt switcher's bane.

It's not a good argument when you can use it to explain why Caterpie is viable.

Zachmac

It's not a good argument when you can use it to explain why Caterpie is viable.
Well, when I said they had a good argument, I was refering to the things they said before. And wasn't your argument...
How do you use them effectively when Keldeo is nuking everything atm?
Saying Keldeo alone is a good enough reason not to use something is saying that Gliscor, Heatran, the Landorous forms, Skarmory, and even Scizor aren't very good anymore. And I don't think very many people here are going to say that Scizor is not any good.

Well, when I said they had a good argument, I was refering to the things they said before. And wasn't your argument...
Saying Keldeo alone is a good enough reason not to use something is saying that Gliscor, Heatran, the Landorous forms, Skarmory, and even Scizor aren't very good anymore. And I don't think very many people here are going to say that Scizor is not any good.

None of those besides Heatran are special walls, with Heatran being a counter to Sun while Chansey just gets set up on by Venusaur. The Landoros "formes" (you can only use Therian), Skarmory, Scizor, Gliscor, and Scizor all aren't meant to be tanking special hits. Blissey and Chansey cannot do the only thing they're good at with Keldeo being used as much. I know it's very difficult for you to comprehend that pokemon can do more than one thing so I'll try to make it simpler.

CHANSEY AND BLISSEY SIT THERE AND GO "MMM MMMITH" AND TAKE SPECIAL HITS. THEY NO CAN DO BCOS KELDONGER GOES KERPLOWIE

windsong

WEST SIDE
i would say that you two are underrated except i think that you both suck

mags rulez tho

#shinymagmortar2013
#honuschamp2013
#bhisaginger2013
#lizardMACKIN2013
#based
#lunaristhecutest

sorry i like this thread it's gr8

Zachmac

None of those besides Heatran are special walls, with Heatran being a counter to Sun while Chansey just gets set up on by Venusaur. The Landoros "formes" (you can only use Therian), Skarmory, Scizor, Gliscor, and Scizor all aren't meant to be tanking special hits. Blissey and Chansey cannot do the only thing they're good at with Keldeo being used as much. I know it's very difficult for you to comprehend that pokemon can do more than one thing so I'll try to make it simpler.

CHANSEY AND BLISSEY SIT THERE AND GO "MMM MMMITH" AND TAKE SPECIAL HITS. THEY NO CAN DO BCOS KELDONGER GOES KERPLOWIE
Since secret sword hits an opponents defense stat, Keldeo is arguably a mixed attacker, not a special attacker. Thinking a special wall needs to be able to stop Keldeo is like assuming that a special wall needs to be able to stop Infernape or MixMence because they carry Fire Blast/Draco Meteor.

Anyway, I am not trying to argue that Blissey and Chansey are underrated. I'm just saying it's not so dumb to assume so, since they are still fairly usable. The point I was making when I brought up Heatran/Scizor is that when your pokemon can't deal with another pokemon, just don't use it against them. Yeah, that argument could justify a Caterpie, but it's more of a counter-argument then it is the main argument.

I should also mention Ferrothorn, one of the most popular checks to rain teams. It helps deal with Starmie, Gyarados, Politoed, Rotom-W, Vaporeon, and pretty much any common water type. Except that Keldeo has a STAB fighting attack. Does that make Ferrothorn bad at it's job as a check for water pokemon?

...Well, you can keep arguing if you'd like, but I think I'm done with this debate for now. I was hoping to back Rising Star after you went for the personal attack, but it seems I'm just provoking you.

Well, it's like someone said on the last page, there are more Pokemon than just Keldeo that Blissey has trouble with. Trick users, Pokemon with Psyshock, and some specific sets such as SubSplit Gengar can work their way around Blissey or at least cripple it. Many of the special attackers that give Blissey trouble now didn't exist in past OU metagames, thus explaining why she finds it harder to wall things now that she used to. I'd say that mid-low OU suits Blissey just fine.

Hopkinc1

Music = Life
Kangaskhan in General in my honest opinion. Not many people remember that he has Scrappy, so they Bring Gengar on him and gets killed with Return. They panic and bring in a steel type to wall him, only to get hit by Drain Punch or (on mine) Get a subbed on, then focus punch. Quite a few times in the first four turns of the game I've taken out 3 of the opponents Pokemon with Kangaskhan. I mostly play Mixed Tier now so he's a little more Viable there, but I've used him with amazing results in OU.

Slayr231

Grass Type Trainer
I find Cradily being constantly overlooked and only used on rock monotype teams, and even then it's rare to find it on those teams. I used a curse set on my grass team in the past and Cradily forced countless rage-quits. I still use the set on my NU team and it is nearly unstoppable after a few curses. I only traded it out because I needed a special attacker and Cradily struggles with getting those first few curses in.

NotQuiteSane42

Professional Cynic
Cofagrigius is a surprisingly good wall in OU. A lot of people overlook that it has base 145 Def and 105 SDef, the latter of which can be boosted with Calm Mind. Even with Rest as its only recovery (or Pain Split), the thing can stay alive through a ton of hits and dish out burns to everything in sight. And it also has a usable Special Attack. After a calm mind or two, the thing is bulky as hell on both ends of the spectrum and can dish out decent Shadow Balls.

Eaglehawk

Banned
Reflect type mew as a wall is great.

Oh god no.

Tauros @ Life Orb
Trait: Sheer Force
Nature: Naive
EVs: 252 Att / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide/Zen Headb
- Fire Blast

inb4setripfromsmogon.

Yeah. This thing is cool in UU. Surprisingly good wallbreaker and great at parties. Rock Climb is now a 120 damage nuke (Double Edge w/ no recoil). Fire Blast does a lot of damage against Bronzong (38.46 - 45.27%. 3 hits to KO). So yeah. This thing is pretty underrated.

cxinlee

Lc ftw
Seel in lc is underrated. Definitely.doesn't deserve #120, at least #60. I know this is a pretty dumb post, but seel is really awesome at stalling like walrein.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Durant doesn't outspeed HP Fire Latios. That variant has 349 speed and Durant's max speed is 348. I agree that it's underrated, though, because it hits extremely hard with Iron Head and X-Scissor off an absolutely monstrous 476 base Attack, which is further increased by the Life Orb.

Cherche

Banned
Okay so, I've looked through the 9 pages or so in this thread & saw a few of really underrated Pokémon, however, I've noticed a lack of one Pokémon that is incredibly underrated. What is this Pokémon you ask? Well, take a look below & I'll show you.

648.gif
648-pirouette.gif

That's right folks, I'm talking about Meloetta, a Pokémon that has so much potential & can do a whole lot of things that most Pokémon can only dream of doing, it's a travesty why she's not used a whole lot more in the current metagame. Meloetta has 2 main sets, the first one I'll be posting below.

Meloetta @ Life Orb
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SAtk / 200 Spd
Naive Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Thunder
- Psychic

This a set that I use in my rain team & I'm telling you, she's the star of the show in every single battle that I win. The point of this set is to keep the opponent off balance by constantly switching between the Aria & Pirouette forms. So say if you opponent has a counter to one form, simply use Relic Song to change forms in order to nail that counter with the appropriate move.

Here's the second set for Meloetta that I'd like to share with you folks.

Meloetta @ Leftovers
Trait: Serene Grace
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psychic / Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Thunder / Shadow Ball

This set goes a setup sweeper route, stacking as many Calm Mind boosts as possible, then sweeping the opposing team clean with great & very powerful coverage moves. A thing of note is her base 128 base Special Attack & base 128 Special Defense, which turns her into an absolute powerhouse tank that can take out a whole lot if you don't have a counter for some of her moves. Finally, if you're slower than Meloetta, & she has a Calm Mind or 2 ( Or 3 ) up, be prepared take some major damage.

Orithan

One issue I have with the first slot is Relic Song's 50% Sleep rate. If I recall correctly, Smogon's current sleep clause states that you automatically forfeit if you put two or more of your opponent's pokemon to sleep if you were able to avoid doing so. One example of a community reducing the quality of their metagame to match the cartridge games more closely.

T-Bolt

Electrifying.
One issue I have with the first slot is Relic Song's 50% Sleep rate. If I recall correctly, Smogon's current sleep clause states that you automatically forfeit if you put two or more of your opponent's pokemon to sleep if you were able to avoid doing so. One example of a community reducing the quality of their metagame to match the cartridge games more closely.

Actually, Relic song only has a 20% chance of putting your opponent to sleep. Also, from personal experience on PS, if you try to put more than one pokemon to sleep, it just says sleep clause activated, and nothing happens. Sort of like splash.

I think I'll try Meloetta sometime, never thought that changing Meloetta's form would change it's counters (though that's pretty obvious lol).

Orithan

Actually, Relic song only has a 20% chance of putting your opponent to sleep. Also, from personal experience on PS, if you try to put more than one pokemon to sleep, it just says sleep clause activated, and nothing happens. Sort of like splash.

My bad. Just shows me how long I've been away from Smogon for, mostly because I couldn't be bothered migrating to Pokemon Showdown. I'm glad that they removed the insta-lose part of the Sleep Clause, as that was a factor that in my decision to not migrate.

Status
Not open for further replies.