• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated Starter Pokemon each region

horrahforyou

Pokemon and Kamen Rider is life
Who are the starters that needs more love?

Kanto - Squirtle, I mean Blastoise's design is much cooler that Charizard, and became much cooler in his Mega Evolved form.

Johto - Totodile

Hoenn - Mudkip, who in the world don't leik Mudkipz

Sinnoh - Turtwig

Unova - I'll say Tepig?

Kalos - Chespin, while Greninja gets a lot of attention, it feels like Chesnaught never exists.

Alola - Popplio

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Kanto - Squirtle

Johto - Chikorita

Hoenn - Mudkip

Sinnoh - Turtwig

Unova - Tepig

Kalos - Chespin,

Alola - ?

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Kanto: None due to their long term pop culture influence but I guess Squirtle. It’s becoming “cool” to hate Charizard (or anything popular) apparently

Johto: Chikorita

Hoenn: Torchic

Sinnoh: None but guess Turtwig

Unova: Tepig

Kalos: Chespin. Froakie has Greninja and Fennekin has Braixen but there’s nothing for Chespin

Alola: Popplio by comparison but I don’t think any of them are underrated

Galar: Grookey seems to be the least popular in term of just these 3

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Kanto-Bulbasaur (Venusaur is often considered sluggish and gross-looking)
Johto-Totodile (same reason as Bulbasaur)
Hoenn-I say none
Sinnoh-Turtwig (Torterra has a double Ice weakness and is slow)
Unova-Tepig (bashed because of its typing)
Kalos-Chespin
Alola-Litten (Incineroar is widely disliked)
Galar-Grookey at the moment.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
Kanto- None of them are that underrated, but if I had to pick one, Bulbasaur. It's usually the least picked choice.
Johto- Chikorita. Come on people, you have to admit it's pretty cute.
Hoenn- Mudkip. Despite the memes, Treecko and Torchic get better treatment.
Sinnoh-Turtwig. The anime turned it into a joke and I don't think that's fair.
Unova- Tepig. Emboar is widely disliked for many reasons, but it's very powerful when set up right.
Kalos- It's hard to pick which one of Chespin or Fennekin is underrated because they both are. Chesnaught and Delphox don't deserve the hatred they get.
Alola- Popplio. Tends to get criticised for being too feminine.
Galar- Way too early to tell at the moment, but if I had to pick one for now, Grookey.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Incineroar is controversial, not widely hated. It does its role as the Heel Pokèmon well

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Tepiq is RALLY underated, but I dont like all of his evo line so...
The same goes for Chespin' line

Friendshipper

Gotta Love 'Em All
Tepig is the most underrated of 'em all. Sadly, this is a fact. Poor Tepig.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Tepig gets that because there were already two Fire/Fighting types and people didn't like the repetition. But it doesn't change the fact that Fire/Fighting is a rad combo, we need non-starters with that typing. I'm surprised that Darmanitan wasn't part Fighting type

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I wouldn't really call any of the starters underrated.

All the starters get a ton of attention in the anime and games. Even if more interesting pokemon are introduced alongside them. They get a massive proportion of the fanart, merchandise and anime screentime and manga panel time. Even the boring or less competitively viable starters get more attention that most pokemon.

Lets put it this way. I put "darumaka" into google.co.uk and got 238,000 results. I put "tepig" into google and got 1,010,000.

I'd say most boring starter, in both design and competitive niche, is Chikorita, which got 1,880,000 results. Exeggutor has two forms with really interesting and popular designs. It has several really cool sets it can run. And it has a one generation head start. But it got about half as many search results as Chikorita.