• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated Threat of the Week - Sharpedo

Status
Not open for further replies.

McDanger

While its easy to be mainstream and use standard teams, some of the best teams are ones that think outside of the box, and make use of underrated threats. This thread, a new pokemon will be the topic for a week and we`ll discuss move sets, its viability in other tiers, not just OU, how to deal with it, and the support it needs to be effective. I will be choosing a new pokemon every week but people can pm me ideas for pokemon they want to see and discuss. At the end of the week i will summarize the weeks discussion of viability, movesets, and support and archive it for people that are curious about previous pokemon, cause looking through a thread is a pain.

This week the threat, another UU threat

Kingdra_artwork_no_oficial.png

Kingdra, the anti rain pokemon, kingdra shares typing with only palkia making his type unique in OU

Discuss!

Previous Threats

Last edited:
632_durant_front_norm.png
@Life orb
Jolly
Hustle
252att/248spe/8hp
X-scissor
Iron head
Rock slide
Superpower

The main set that Durant will use no matter what tier you’re playing in. X-scissor for stab and to ruin most pokemon coming in. Iron head is another stab which can ruin many mons adding in the amazing flinch chance allows Durant to inflict more damage. Rock slide, is to cover flying types. Superpower, destroys steels, rock, dark and ice, the sheer power of Durant combine with superpower is able to OHKO or 2hko most of the metagame.

Calcs vs Common Walls.
252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 312-369 (88.63 - 104.82%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Celebi: 905-1066 (224 - 263.86%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 302-356 (69.9 - 82.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

-1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 138-164 (36.22 - 43.04%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Rock Slide vs. 252 HP / 36 Def Jellicent: 179-212 (44.3 - 52.47%) -- 84.38% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Heatran: 426-502 (110.64 - 130.38%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 244 HP / 248+ Def Gliscor: 140-165 (39.77 - 46.87%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 84 Def Gastrodon: 276-325 (64.78 - 76.29%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant X-Scissor vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 226-266 (66.27 - 78%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 213-251 (70.29 - 82.83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Durants shortcommings include its terrible spdef stat and the accuracy loss from hustle. However many of durants counters can be defeated by durant the main way to take out durant is to
1) Have it miss the attack that would ko.
2) Status Durant
3) Outspeed and revenge kill.​

Last edited:

McDanger

Durant has a nice niche in OU being about to outspeed terrakion and keldeo with his unique speed of 109, leaving the only unboosted thing that can outpace him the lati twins, both of which have to think before switching in in fear of x scissor and iron head. As elite said, hustle is a pain because the accuracy drop, but gives you a +1 attack boost giving him an attack of 475 with jolly, a flat attack higher then deoxys attack (459) so its a fair trade imo.
As far as moves, durant has a nice selection with iron head and x scissor for stabs and rocks slide, superpower, and thunder fang so he can have nice coverage. In OU however he basically has to use thunder fang for keldeo, tho he can use superpower but doesnt ko and you have to switch out after.
Durant has strong competition with scizor for a slot on a team, however durants higher speed lets him check threats that scizor struggles with, ex keldeo and jellicent but has to use hone claws to boost his attack, and is often to frail to get more then 1 boost. His low special defense and low hp makes him fairly easy to be revenged by priority unlike scizor and lacks u turn to scout. However durant excels as a wall breaker with his raw power, speed, and coverage. This is liked by terrakion as durant smashes jellicent, skarmory, and landorus therian and can cripple latios/latias that try to switch in.

Ísjaki

Flood Of Red
I used durant on a team once
Durant (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 8 HP / 252 Atk / 248 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Hone Claws
- Iron Head
- Thunder Fang
- Superpower
enough speed to outspeed max speed base 108s, hone claws basically negates the accuracy problem while adding to the amazing attack power.
I used it on a sand team that had no problems with celebi so with ttar taking care of lati@s x-scissor was kind of useless. I think thunder fang 2hkos skarm at +1 which is cool. It also helps against tenta, jelli, gyra, and keldeo. It isn't exactly easy setting up so if you don't want to bother with that x-scissor > hone claws works too but i'm gonna have some calcs that show how awesome hone claws is. Having something with SR helps a ton and pokemon that stop fast special attackers like scarf keldeo, starmie, and gengar are needed to pull off a sweep.
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 400-473 (123.83 - 146.43%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 330-390 (81.88 - 96.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs. 224 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory: 208-247 (63.6 - 75.53%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs. 248 HP / 244 Def Tentacruel: 382-450 (105.23 - 123.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO

do i need to do a gyrados calc?

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Thundurus-T: 226-266 (75.58 - 88.96%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Superpower vs. 252 HP / 48+ Def Ferrothorn: 468-551 (132.95 - 156.53%) -- guaranteed OHKO(at +0 it only has less than a 1/3rd chance to OHKO)

252 Atk Life Orb Hustle Durant Iron Head vs. 248 HP / 172 Def Landorus-T: 207-243 (54.33 - 63.77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO​
I might add more latter, i haven't played much pokemon lately so feel free to point out the many flaws this post probably has,

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Durant @Choice Scarf
Jolly
Hustle
252atk 8hp 248spe
-Iron Head
-X-Scissor
-Thunder Fang
-Superpower
This set works as a revenge killer, and also a counter to common offensive threats in today's metagame. Ohkos celebi, Ttar, lati@s, 2hkos slowbro, high chance of ohko'ing Breloom after rocks and a layer of spikes, and is just a general cleaner.

I'd post calcs but I gtg soon.

Cherche

Banned
Yes finally, the Shark Pokémon comes to life!

319.gif

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Rash Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Zen Headbutt / Ice Beam
- Protect

I do not care what anyone says, but this is THE set for Sharpedo, IMO. It's just perfect. Sharpedo's stats literally scream late-game sweeper. EVs are a bit odd, but easily explainable. The EVs and nature are specialized to take advantage of Speed Boost; with 148 Speed EVs and a neutral nature, Sharpedo can outspeed Adamant Gyarados at +0, and after two boosts, it outruns almost every OU Pokemon. Something to keep in mind is that Sharpedo lacks the ability to outspeed standard Venusaur in the sun and Choice Scarf Latios at +2, so it's key to be at +3 before attempting to attack said threats. Now, Hydro Pump, the first move up on the set, is the main STAB move here, hits hard against Physically Defensive Hippowdon as well as Physically Defensive Skarmory as the they switch in on the bully shark, expecting it to be a full Physical set. Crunch allows Sharpedo to nail the lines of Gengar, Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, & a whole lot of other Psychic types for super-effective damage. Zen Headbutt is an interesting option if you wish to hit Keldeo, Toxicroak, & Virizion, otherwise, Ice Beam hits the likes of Dragon types such as Dragonite, Hydreigon, & even Tangrowth. Finally, Protect is used to gain a free Speed Boost & should always be used the first turn Sharpedo is out to ensure it bypasses Choice Scarf users.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 398-471 (94.76 - 112.14%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 312-369 (81.03 - 95.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 260-307 (64.51 - 76.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 218-257 (53.96 - 63.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 257-304 (59.49 - 70.37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Last edited:

McDanger

Yes finally, the Shark Pokémon comes to life!

319.gif

Sharpedo @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
EVs: 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 108 Spd
Rash Nature
- Crunch
- Hydro Pump
- Zen Headbutt / Ice Beam
- Protect

I do not care what anyone says, but this is THE set for Sharpedo, IMO. It's just perfect. Sharpedo's stats literally scream late-game sweeper. EVs are a bit odd, but easily explainable. The EVs and nature are specialized to take advantage of Speed Boost; with 148 Speed EVs and a neutral nature, Sharpedo can outspeed Adamant Gyarados at +0, and after two boosts, it outruns almost every OU Pokemon. Something to keep in mind is that Sharpedo lacks the ability to outspeed standard Venusaur in the sun and Choice Scarf Latios at +2, so it's key to be at +3 before attempting to attack said threats. Now, Hydro Pump, the first move up on the set, is the main STAB move here, hits hard against Physically Defensive Hippowdon as well as Physically Defensive Skarmory as the they switch in on the bully shark, expecting it to be a full Physical set. Crunch allows Sharpedo to nail the lines of Gengar, Latios, Latias, Reuniclus, & a whole lot of other Psychic types for super-effective damage. Zen Headbutt is an interesting option if you wish to hit Keldeo, Toxicroak, & Virizion, otherwise, Ice Beam hits the likes of Dragon types such as Dragonite, Hydreigon, & even Tangrowth. Finally, Protect is used to gain a free Speed Boost & should always be used the first turn Sharpedo is out to ensure it bypasses Choice Scarf users.

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Hippowdon: 398-471 (94.76 - 112.14%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 312-369 (81.03 - 95.84%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Jellicent: 260-307 (64.51 - 76.17%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ SpA Life Orb Sharpedo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tyranitar in sand: 218-257 (53.96 - 63.61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

108 Atk Life Orb Sharpedo Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Amoonguss: 257-304 (59.49 - 70.37%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I like that set tho i feel waterfall may be better then hydro pump because the accuracy for one, and most things that get hit with hydro pump outside of skarmory are going to take waterfall for more damage.

The biggest problem sharpedo faces in OU is its terrable defenses, and its weakness to fighting, making breloom a big threat with mach punch, and keldeo if it doesnt have zen headbutt. The fact of keldeo in OU forcing it run zen headbutt, taking away from his coverage, making it harder for him to break through steel threats like jirachi and skarmory. Because of that, sharpedo demands a fair amount of team support to check said threats, and others like ferrothorn, and scizor, thus magnezone is a nice partner, as well as latias to check breloom. Of course, rain is nice as it ups his stab damage.

Ghosts of the Forums

Who Ya Gonna Call?
Oh hey cool my set was used.

I'll edit in my set as soon as I finish working out all the kinks.

McDanger

Discussion for sharpedo is over, new threat is kingdra, discuss

230.gif

Kingdra @ Lum Berry
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Rest
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Waterfall

I used this set a lot when i first started as i was often rain or sun weak, tho atm i didnt know cause i was terrible lol. This set is still excellent as it turns the ever common rain against the opponent, giving kingdra a lot of chances to boost. This set separates itself from special kingdra with its ability to boost, making it less dependent on rain, as well as lets it run another item other then a life orb, giving it more longevity. With its two stabs being resisted only by ferrothorn adn empoleon, who is never seen in OU, Kingdra can ripe huge holes in unprepared teams as its hard to wall because its high speed in the rain, bulk, and decent attack. The main let down is this set doesnt carry rain dance like special kingdra, making it slower as it needs 2 turns to get to the same speed, but keeps the speed unlike special kingdra.

Last edited:

Cherche

Banned
Kingdra, while having recovered from a huge blow due to the Drizzle + Swift Swim ban, is back to raise even more hell against Rain teams, due to it's very unique typing. The prevalence of Rain teams in OU just makes Kingdra all the more powerful. Here's a set that I've been using since the era of DPP.

230.gif

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse / Ice Beam
- Surf / Ice Beam

I remember using this set way back in DPP, when Kingdra was actually in the OU tier, wrecking the meta, like nobody has even seen before. With a Choice Specs, Kingdra gets automatic wallbreaking power right off the bat, dealing huge damage with it's amazing dual STAB combination. With the given EV spread, Kingdra reaches a Special Attack of 475.5 & a Speed stat of 526, given Drizzle is in effect, so that alone is nothing to laugh about. Draco Meteor does huge damage to just about everything that doesn't resist it & 2HKOing most threats that think that they can switch into this behemoth. Hydro Pump is another powerful move that provides fantastic coverage along with Draco Meteor, putting dents in things that even resist it. Dragon Pulse & Surf are solid alternatives on this set, if you don't want to be locked into Draco Meteor at -2, or if you don't want to rely on Hydro Pumps infamous accuracy. Ice Beam is a solid option to use over either of the latter two moves, 2HKOing Special Defensive Celebi, while also doing a ton of damage to Amoonguss.

UbersSuck20

#FreeGenesect
Kingdra is easily one of the best counters to rain teams thanks to its Dragon typing, especially its SubDD set because it can set up a Substitute on very many rain threats thanks to its quadruple resistance to Water-type moves and can set up Dragon Dances with impunity. If Ferrothorn is removed from the game there's not much the rain team can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.