• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated threats

Aztec_Blaziken

Back to WiFi Battles
Sub-Heracross to bluff the choice scarf

Spiky

Prediction succesful
Lucario k*ck a**!!! :p

Huh? Band Nite is used all the time. All the power of Band Salamence but with added bonus of Extremespeed and near immunity to being wiped out in one hit.

Lucario seems to be underrated. LO + 4 attacks is nearly impossible for most teams to safely switch in on especially with most Gliscor not running as much speed now.

Wrong... I use Sword Dance Lucario in my main team!!! Once, my main team ruled and had a rate of 8/10 but than when I couldn't play for 2 months... my rate became in the red <.< so I s*ck again and every1 thinks I'm bad in competitive <_< The team is a HYPER OFFENSIVE team and it's really good with my buddy: "lucario"!!! ;D

Wrong... I use Sword Dance Lucario in my main team!!! Once, my main team ruled and had a rate of 8/10 but than when I couldn't play for 2 months... my rate became in the red <.< so I s*ck again and every1 thinks I'm bad in competitive <_< The team is a HYPER OFFENSIVE team and it's really good with my buddy: "lucario"!!! ;D

Because suck is completely and totally a bad word and must be censored or else thou shall invoke thy principal's divine wrath.

I consider Froslass a fair anti-lead. Good speed, Taunt, Spikes, and Destiny Bond make it able to stand against the likes of Politoed without much fear, though it is hard-countered by Tyranitar, however a smart player will be able to get at least one layer of Spikes up. Against leads like Ferrothorn and Forretress, you can safely Taunt them unless they use Gyro Ball as their attacking move, which seems to be ran less and less.

Zachmac

It's still underrated. You're just one person, and you using it alone won't make it popular.

People often overlook it for it's base 90 speed stat, and most offensive pokemon use base 100 speed or more, with the exception of dragon dancers.

lovetheangelshadow

One heck of a Nobody
It's still underrated. You're just one person, and you using it alone won't make it popular.

People often overlook it for it's base 90 speed stat, and most offensive pokemon use base 100 speed or more, with the exception of dragon dancers.

True I don't see too many Lucarios now a days. I keep one about because I like the design and its wide movepool like Dragon Pulse, Flame Kick, Shadow Claw, etc

True I don't see too many Lucarios now a days. I keep one about because I like the design and its wide movepool like Dragon Pulse, Flame Kick, Shadow Claw, etc

I've been seeing tons lately.

I use a NP Lucario, as common physical walls like Skarmory (though it takes a hefty amount from +2 Close Combat), Gliscor, and the like, who all get demolished by a +2 special attack coming off of a base 115 Special Attack. Blissey can actually be OHKOd by Modest +2 Life Orb Aura Sphere, IIRC. If it doesn't, it will still take major damage.

ZombieRa

Despite the general populations disapproval of Glalie, being ice and not having the best stats, I run a fairly well put together Anti-lead set, that usually does pretty well, even outside of NU.

Icy Wind
Spikes
Explosion
Hidden Power (Grass)
Item: Focus Sash
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 8 HP 56 Def 196 S.Atk 48 S.Def 200 Speed
IVs:30 Atk, S.Atk

Use Icy Wind right off the bat to cut the opponents lead poke's speed in half. Live any attack they throw at him with his Sash, and then with their speed cut in half, Glalie pretty much always goes first the next turn, so you can spikes on the switch, or attack if you feel it necessary.

Black_Star

Star Assassin
i think people underestimate porygon2

Cosmic Fury

Evil Overlord
Ludicolo. Holding a Life Orb. In the RAIN!!!!

I use that King of Trolls (I'm thinking of naming it LudiTrolo) on PO. I have it in the Rain, with Rain Dish as its ability, and I ALWAYS make it carry a Life Orb. Why? Rain Dish while the Rain condition reigns, offsets a lot of the damage caused by Life Orb, not to mention LudiTrolo carries a very damaging recovery move:

Giga Drain. Not many think of the thing as being BOTH Water & Grass, but only as one of the two. So, half the people I meet never see it coming. I drain away with 20% extra power + STAB, not to mention the 50% of the damage that goes to healing me with my miniscule Life Orb damage + whatever else it has...And if they bring out another Grass-type...

I'll use Ice Beam for its amazing accuracy, wide type coverage, and not to mention...20% boost from life orb, making it pack with 110-115 base power! It trolls Flying types to death, and sweeps aside Grass types in its way...

But if they get the message and sent out a powerful flying type or a strong Ice Type, or your Dragonite/Mence/Gyarados...On with Hidden Power Rock 70! I usually surprise-KO them with pretty much a Hidden Power 84, with most cases it being a Super-Effective hit! I usually troll hard with this move.

And last but not least, Hydro Pump! An amazing 120 power, plus 24 power from Life Orb, plus 60 additional power from STAB, makes it pack an AMAZING 204 BASE POWER!!! If that isn't epic, take a look at the random Tyranitar they send out to stall...OHKO...

Not to mention...The rain. Here's what happens, as I almost always carry it in rain:

Rain Dish activates, effectively neutralizing Life Orb damage, and only small amounts trickle out. Easily recovered by Giga Drain at the precise moment.

Hydro Pump's already insane power gets ANOTHER insane boost. 120 + 60 + 24 + ANOTHER 60 = 264 Power. If it's SE on my opponent's team, I've got control of the weather, then if they can't outspeed me, GG for them!

Eaglehawk

Banned
I think GyaraJolt and CeleTran is pretty overlooked in this metagame. Gyarados and Jolteon have amazing immunity synergy with each other, not to also mention take out each other's threats, such as Skarmory, Forretress, Blissey, other Gyarados, D-Nites, T-tars, just to name a few.

Celebi and Heatran make a decent anti-weather defensive core. Celebi comes in as the main answer to Rain and Sand. Heatran deals with Sun as well as some Sand threats, such as Ferrothorn and Skarmory. But I really think that Celebi's run in this core is slightly less important due to the rise of Choice Scarf Landorus, who can OHKO Celebi with a U-Turn, but defensive sets act as a good check to Terrakion, who can take a Close Combat and OHKO with Giga Drain.

Actually, come to think of it, Celebi is a terrible check to Sand teams, but still walls Rain teams pretty well.

overlordmewtwo

Supreme Overlord
One underrated threat is Jynx. (Anybody remember what that is?)

It is a menace in hail, and can wipe out an entire team if the opponent is not prepared (which usually they aren't because Jynx is pretty much never seen).

Eaglehawk

Banned
One underrated threat is Jynx. (Anybody remember what that is?)

It is a menace in hail, and can wipe out an entire team if the opponent is not prepared (which usually they aren't because Jynx is pretty much never seen).

Actually, it's a menace in Rain. It's DW ability, Dry Skin, heals in Rain AND makes it immune to Water-moves. It becomes one of the better checks against a Kyogre, taking STAB water moves all day while boosting with Nasty Plot. Plus, Lovely Kiss allows it to put most of its counters to sleep, allowing it to continue to set up against its threats, which, if you think about it, are pretty common. It can Lovely Kiss on the switch of a predicted Darkrai or Mewtwo, and put un-boosted Rayquaza, Kyogre, non-Restalk Giratina, Dialga, Zekrom, and Ho-Oh to sleep and either boost up against it or blast it with Ice Beam or Focus Blast, resulting in a neutral or SE hit against all of the aforementioned Pokemon and more.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD
Actually, it's a menace in Rain. It's DW ability, Dry Skin, heals in Rain AND makes it immune to Water-moves. It becomes one of the better checks against a Kyogre, taking STAB water moves all day while boosting with Nasty Plot. Plus, Lovely Kiss allows it to put most of its counters to sleep, allowing it to continue to set up against its threats, which, if you think about it, are pretty common. It can Lovely Kiss on the switch of a predicted Darkrai or Mewtwo, and put un-boosted Rayquaza, Kyogre, non-Restalk Giratina, Dialga, Zekrom, and Ho-Oh to sleep and either boost up against it or blast it with Ice Beam or Focus Blast, resulting in a neutral or SE hit against all of the aforementioned Pokemon and more.
Tempted to try this now...

McDanger

hydreigon sees to be underrated[to me], overlooked for latios, and most sets are choice scarf or specs. the expert belt set is very underrated in my opinion

jireh the provider

Video Game Designer
I have observed a few from the lower ranks through wifi experience.

a. A Skill link/Technician Cinccino is like a little sister of the technician Scizor/ Skill link cloyster. I used her against some of the common OUs and performs her job well. (she's not EVd when I used her against EVd ones)
b. A DW lightning rod Seaking? (WOW!) It only fear grass types now. Electricity means nothing to this fish
c. Microwave rotom Is a fear factor to Ground types without rock or water moves since EQ's Super effective power is nothing unless Gravity is running.
d. Latias is another underrated one due to offensive approach difference.
e. Mesprit is another underrated Jack of all trades pokemon since her 2 other partners and the phantom poketroop are often seen than her.
f. Physical Jirachi is rarely seen thanks to the advent of SCALD! (NOOOOOOO!) Once with a few counters from the previous gens, now the wisher fears almost all water types thanks to SCALD! The Iron flinch terror was drastically weakened, only Psyshock replaced the less accurate Zen Headbutt.
g. Gutsy Luxray is not so found much when it got drastically better in small ways this current gen.
h. Scrappy Miltank is rarely seen to fight back against ghosts.

Lol, I love how good you make Jynx sound in this paragraph.

a. A Skill link/Technician Cinccino is like a little sister of the technician Scizor/ Skill link cloyster. I used her against some of the common OUs and performs her job well. (she's not EVd when I used her against EVd ones)
b. A DW lightning rod Seaking? (WOW!) It only fear grass types now. Electricity means nothing to this fish
c. Microwave rotom Is a fear factor to Ground types without rock or water moves since EQ's Super effective power is nothing unless Gravity is running.
e. Mesprit is another underrated Jack of all trades pokemon since her 2 other partners and the phantom poketroop are often seen than her.
f. Physical Jirachi is rarely seen thanks to the advent of SCALD! (NOOOOOOO!) Once with a few counters from the previous gens, now the wisher fears almost all water types thanks to SCALD! The Iron flinch terror was drastically weakened, only Psyshock replaced the less accurate Zen Headbutt.
g. Gutsy Luxray is not so found much when it got drastically better in small ways this current gen.

Well, some of those aren't so much underrated as they are bad.

I will agree that Latias is underrated offensively, though. It may not have quite the power that Latios does, but its Specs attacks are still hitting very hard. It's a nice alternative to Latios when you want to throw around Specs Draco Meteors but know you need to take a hit to do it.

kaiser soze

Reading ADWD

a) Cinccino still lacks Scizor's priority or Cloyster's Shell Smash. Both also have better defenses, so Cinccino will always play second fiddle to them, especially since Cloyster's UU and Skill Link's unreleased.
b) Horrible speed and low base SA are real downers to Seaking, even with Lightningrod. All Water-Grounds are a better choice.
c) - It's Rotom-Heat
- All the Rotoms are immune to Ground; nothing ground-breaking about it (no pun intended)
d) I'll actually agree with this one. I have more trouble with CM Latias than Latios.
e) Mesprit's without a doubt the runt of the trio. If you want to sweep, use Azelf. If you want support, use Uxie. And Mew has a way better movepool.
f) - Paraflich Jirachi's super common, but scarf sets do seem tougher to find these days. Calm Mind's the top set because it absorbs Latios' Draco Meteors
- Physical Water types like Gyarados don't use Scald
- Psyshock is a Special attack, not physical like Zen Headbutt.
g) Ursaring and Swellow make better low-tier Guts user. Even though Luxray got better they're still better.
h) Most Ghost types like to carry Fighting moves, however, and Normal/Fighting aren't SE on Ghost. Sap Sipper gives you an immunity and a way to raise your attack too.

Zachmac

I still find Sucker Punch on special Zoroark amazing. It's ability is actually great, and it can swap in on Skarmory or Ferrothorn and surprise KO them with flamethrower.
Well, some of those aren't so much underrated as they are bad.
This sums up a good chunk of this thread. I'll admit that not all are bad, though.

Pichu47

Fear Me, If You Dare
I think cincinno actually could be pretty good. Bullet Seed, that rock blast, and tail slap makes a pretty good movepool. It destroys gastrodon and other bulky waters. Does serios damage to dragonite with the rock blast. Tail Slap hits through sub-punchers like breloom and is very powerful. He also gets wake up slap to help with steel types. With life orb or choice band, he can pack quite a punch. He also adds a nice 115 base speed :)