• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Underrated threats

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I have a feeling Simple Swoobat is quite underated, a set with Calm Mind, Heat Wave, Air Slash, Giga Drain, or Psyshock could really jack up some teams.

Klaus™

Banned
So yeah, I usually just run a set with Rapid Spin, one hazard, and two of Volt Switch/HP Ice/Pain Split, and it has worked out really well. Overall, it's the best combination of Forretress's ability to support its team, check random threats, and steal momentum.

omg! i use that same set!

but honestly, ive actually found magnezone, of all things, to be underrated. people dont prepare for it, and a good player knows who to trap and how to set-up. it wont sweep entire teams, but it can take out one or two if played right.

but baton pass in itself can be underrated. js

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
omg! i use that same set!

but honestly, ive actually found magnezone, of all things, to be underrated. people dont prepare for it, and a good player knows who to trap and how to set-up. it wont sweep entire teams, but it can take out one or two if played right.

but baton pass in itself can be underrated. js

Yeah and it is a great check to Skarmory as it has STAB electric with it.

Klaus™

Banned
i dont really set up and skarmory all too often. whirlwind out, and has sturdy. so always a 2hko, more if it roosts. i always set up on ferrothorn, because power whip cannot break my sub, and i dont think gyro ball can either. i run: protect/hp fire/ sub/ thunder

but thats because part of the team is rain. and thunder isnt like focus miss for me.

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Focus Blasts accuracy maybe bad, but it could be worse.

In Rain, some don't usually expect Volcarona in it as they bring in Pokemon like Virizion and such, thinking they can survive. Quiver Dance boosted Hurricane wrecks them hard!

Rain Volcarona did get a nice boost with Roost and can now be a very good bulky Pokemon in the Rain. Running a moveset like : Roost, Quiver Dance, Hurricane, Bug Buzz it can be very strong. Rain weakens the neutral Fire attacks on Volcarona which can be very useful.

Bug/Flying actually gets pretty decent coverage in OU, as the only OU Pokemon to resist it completely are Heatran, Skarmory, Magnezone, and Thundurus-T. Skarmory doesn't really like Fire Blast (even in the Rain), and Magnezone and Thundurus-T can both be 2HKOd by a LO boosted Bug Buzz at +1. Heatran survives the 2HKO from even Hurricane, but it doesn't do all that much in return. The last slot on a Rain Volcarona could be HP Ground to beat Heatran more easily and hit incoming Terrakion really hard, Roost for reliable healing, Fire Blast to take on things like Ferrothorn and Skarmory more easily, or Giga Drain to hit things like Vaporeon, Jellicent, and Gastrodon much harder while also offering healing of its own.

Zachmac

Weavile with claw sharpen and dynamic punch.
If you do the math, Swords Dance with Break Break is actually much better. For example....
252Atk +1 Weavile (Neutral) DynamicPunch vs 252HP/0Def Ferrothorn (Neutral): 69% - 82% (246 - 290 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.
252Atk +2 Weavile (Neutral) Brick Break vs 252HP/0Def Ferrothorn (Neutral): 69% - 82% (246 - 290 HP). Guaranteed 2HKO.

...So, they do the same amount of damage, except for the fact that one is more accurate and the other can cause confusion. But much better accuracy and more power to night slash and ice punch will save you a lot more then confusion will. Let's face it, even after a claw sharpen, Dynamic Punch will still be missing a lot.

jeffdavid102

TSS Forever

ParaChomp

be your own guru
I've noticed how well teams do with lower-tiered Pokemon. Feraligatr is actually a great counter to Terrakion. DD on the predicted switch, then Sheer Force, Life Orb boosted Waterfall. (also has Ice Punch and Crunch)

http://pokemon.aesoft.org/replay-Larry-the-Latin-Lord-vs-Zehapo--2012-07-18 An example of what Feraligatr can do. Took out nearly an entire OU team
Don't know about Dragon Dance, so far, all Dream World starters have been male. As for in the Dream World meta-game, yes, Feraligatr is a force to be reckoned with.

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
I feel like weavile is just an underrated threat in general. Very few people use it, mostly because they try to squeeze it into positions it's just not good in.
My weavile gets 1 or more KOs in every battle.

Max speed, jolly, max attack, with these moves
low kick
pursuit
ice shard
punishment

punishment works really nicely against baton passers or calm minders like Jirachi because it gets 60 power +20 * the total of opponents stat stages.
Weavile isn't meant to be used as a sweeper, it's supposed to be a revenge killer, and it can solve your problems to Dragonite, Salamence, Landorus, Latios, Starmie, Alakazam, Tyranitar, and most other things that it can hit super effectively.
Basically, Weavile prevents dragon sweeps and KOs psychics.

Earthbounded

Wild Flygon Appeared
I have a flawless Porygon-Z

Tri-Attack
Recover
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt

Earthquake Latios!!

Latios (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 12 Atk / 252 SAtk / 244 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -Def)
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Its basically a normal LO Latios except Earthquake > Surf. Earthquake beats basically all of Latios's traditional counters and checks like Heatran, Jirachi and Tyranitar. It also helps retain offensive momentum against stuff like Ninetales, Magnezone and I guess Metagross. The best thing is when Tyranitar or Balloon Heatran switch in on Draco Meteor and stay in expecting a switch, only to get finished off by Earthquake. EVs outrun base 108s as HP fire makes you slower than the base 110s. You can max speed to speed tie with other HP fire base 110s I guess.

In all of OU, and all of its sets literally every single Pokemon besides Chansey is 2HKOed with Stealth Rocks down. Many of standard Specs / LO Latios counters are ravaged by Earthquake.