• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unexpected Moments in Pokemon

The time I ran into my Shiny Marill. I didn't have an emotion at the moment because I was not hunting, breeding or whatever for one. It was in the Great Marsh and I just stumbled upon it. I still have it 8,) so proud

Dark Violet Moon Ray

Replace 'parents' with roommate and you'll be bang on ; D

And oh gosh... I cannot fathom how terrible that must have been.

The burden of defeat by a spiteful Weezing was indeed horrible. The fact that it K.O.'d the lvl 65 pokemon it used Explosion against just dripped lemon juice into an open wound.

I did not return to Stark Mountain for a long while.

Dark Violet Moon Ray

I've had a few unexpected. Most involving shinies.

First Emerald file, running around on Rt 19(?), run into a shiny Linoone. I had no clue what a shiny Pokemon was back then. I caught it just cuz I thought it was weird. Still have it. On my white version. And now, every new emerald file I start, I end up with a shiny zigzagoon.
First HG file, was running through the grass in Rt 36, right before Ecruteak. I thought "Oh I won't run into any Pokemon.", and then BAM. Shiny Pidgey.
First SS file, going to try and catch a Larvitar at Mt. Silver. Outside, near the Pokemon Center, I run into a shiny Ponyta before I use any repels. Caught it. Use repels until I get where Larvitars are. Repel wears off, run into a Larvitar. Shiny. Two shinies in a row. Happiest moment of my life.
First White file. Breeding Joltik. I had five eggs in my part. Biking around for them to hatch, not really paying attention when they hatch. Third egg hatches.. I think.. "Huh. I thought its eyes were blue..eh I wasn't paying attention. Maybe I'm wrong." Go into party, it's shiny. Unfortunately it wasn't the nature I wanted. But it was Quirky.. so it more or less worked for me.

Now for non shiny moments:
Giovanni/Silver relationship. Never saw that coming.
Cobalion's random appearance in BW2
BW2 rival's starter came from an egg. Not Bianca.
Catching Rayquaza in SS and it's Modest nature with perfect Sp Atk.

Okay, you. You person. Give me your luck. Right now.

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
Okay, you. You person. Give me your luck. Right now.

My only lucky times with shinies were the Hasty Drilbur I found a few days ago, plus the shiny Druddigon the day after on B2. That was rather lucky for me.

Then, there was the time where, after I defeated Alder, a random guy comes in who is apparently his grandson.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Hugh, who could never figure out that having his Pignite use fire-type moves on my Servine was a good idea, decided to use Heat Crash on my Flash Fire Flareon while we were beating up on Team Plasma.

Ferrin

Easily Lost
i found a ralts on my first patch of grass on route 102 it was completely unexpected^_^she is timid natured

sagittar

Hi remind me to change this
Has nobody said anything about bw2 being a sequel instead of a third game!!? For me that really caught me off guard.

Flame Mistress

*trying to catch Heatran in White 2*

Me: Eh, I guess I'll use the good ol' Down+B trick, 'cause why the heck not.
Game: Wobble... wobble... wobble... Click! Gotcha! Heatran was caught!
Me: O_______o

SuperPichu

Pokémon!
- The flashback in Old Team Plasma's Hideout. I go to the Pokemon Center to make room for Zorua. Go back, just a Zoroark that was not there last time, and everyone's dissapeared.
- Playing Diamond, I'm trying to avoid grass, run into grass, my first shiny! A shiny Sneasel (now Weavile on White). I almost used Fly to just go to whatever place I wanted to go but I'm so gald I didn't!
- Finding 2 Shiny Ponyta while training at Mt. Silver on SS. They weren't at the same time though.
- Finding a Shiny Sealeo (now Walrein) on White while training at Undella Bay.
- Lostlorn Forest Backpacker actually a Zoroark (How come he could talk?).
- Lady in Lostlorn Forest BW1 actually Zoroark.
- Alder jumping off the cliff.
Probably my most unexpected
- On Diamond, while training for the E4 (who I lost to about 10 times, but this was my first Pokemon game, I didn't know about Serebii and I was 8), I was training my LV.27 Jolteon, I defeated the E4 and Cynthia! When I wasn't even trying! My first Hall of Fame team has a LV.27 Jolteon in it.

Arcanine724

I am the Batman
Have you ever been just playing through a Pokemon game and then suddenly, something unexpected happens?

For example: I was just running around Floccesy Ranch in my Black 2 game, when out of nowhere, a Riolu appeared. I wasn't paying attention to the game and the next thing I knew, there was a Pokemon with a 5% encounter rate right there in front of me! Has this ever happened to you?

I did the same, but i didn't have any great balls so i couldn't catch it, ran into it another time, and failed, then gave up, carried on through route 20 and got some great balls, so went back, and after 10 mins of running around, found one, and caught it! now its a lucario

And every time someone uses Zoroark in battle, i used, lets say, close combat, and i'm like, what the? then it morphs.
Gets me every time :)

*trying to catch Heatran in White 2*

Me: Eh, I guess I'll use the good ol' Down+B trick, 'cause why the heck not.
Game: Wobble... wobble... wobble... Click! Gotcha! Heatran was caught!
Me: O_______o

You just blew my mind...

I forgot about that 'trick'.

There's always that coincidental moment it works. Every time I did it I caught the Pokemon and the most recent time I just turned the GB off and walked away.

Nyarlathotep

Eldritch Abomination
Has nobody said anything about bw2 being a sequel instead of a third game!!? For me that really caught me off guard.

That caught everyone off guard. Never expected GF to change some of the most popular trends in the franchise (two similar games and a third game after).
After all, GF works for Nintendo...

That caught everyone off guard. Never expected GF to change some of the most popular trends in the franchise (two similar games and a third game after).
After all, GF works for Nintendo...

Why didn't I think of that? That's probably the biggest unexpected moment in Pokemon history! We have a winner! XD

craigprime

X&Y Supporter
Me and my friend were playing sapphire and ruby, and he had to go to Marching band for a few hours. So he told me to train up his team while he was gone. Lo and behold, 10 minutes in, I saw encountered Latias. I have 200 hours of play time on my game, and I never saw it. It completely threw me, and, after a moment of shocked mouth-gapping, I "Accidentely " fainted it on the first turn. Hey, it wasn't my game.

henryqueue

PkMn trainer
Oh, my first critical capture threw me, when it happened I didn't know what it was until an NPC dialogued it in White. I was like "wow that was... weirdly easy".

ThisIsPatrick

I was playing Pokemon Black and I was half asleep (I was playing it whilst trying to fall asleep) and out of thin air a Shiny Gastly appeared (Haha get it "out of thin air " and Gastlys are made of air....... * crickets cheep in the background*). Another time was on SS and I was trying to find a Minum using Hoenn Sound and then a shiny Pulse appeared (I guess minums and Pulses take turns when they appear).