• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unexpected Moments in Pokemon

The Invincible Kai

Curtis/Yancy Fangirl
Getting a female Minccino from Route 5's Hidden Grotto on my first try (after the whole Bianca thing.) I didn't even know how rare it was.
Then, getting a female Bagon from Pinwheel Forest's Hidden Grotto. Totally unexpected, I was expecting ANOTHER Medicham...

Spin Attaxx

2012-2013
I once browsed through my Pokédex in Black, while training on Route 10... and found that I apparently ran from a shiny Vullaby and not even realised it.

Also, while training near Cianwood City in SoulSilver, I was absent mindedly talking to my sister, then looked at the screen to see what I was fighting... and it was a shiny Tentacool. I caught it. I was overjoyed.

Nitocrys

Because I'm Happy.
In White 2 i didn't use my master ball for any legends.
And as i was randomly walking up dragonspiral tower to get reshiram, i ran into a shiny golurk.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
I had one in Pokemon Black 2. I was battling Elesa and she obliterated three of my pokemon. Thinking I was gonna lose I might as well send my Emolga. I used Double Team for kicks and her Flaafy missed. I constantly used it being practically untouchable. Well, almost I did get hit sometimes but I used some healing items. I constantly used pursuit and little by little I was beating Elesa. I was so shocked that I beat Elesa with just a little Emolga XD. I felt so proud.

Anxo

Eeveelution Trainer
Catching Zekrom and Kyurem both with quick balls. If I have any in my bag I'll use them against a legendary just to see if I get lucky, and with Zekrom it worked (yay!) Then after I wandered ages and ages around the Giant Chasm I finally got to Kyurem. Saw I had one quick ball left in my bag, threw it anyway and it was caught easy peasy!

I did the same thing too! (Though it was Reshiram, not Zekrom for me). Though I KOed Kyurem the first time fighting him. Got him second time though. And both were Critical captures.

Hydreigon6507

I found a Shiny Audino while looking for some Eevee. That happened a few weeks ago.

Flame Mistress

The Zoroark in BW2 Lostlorn Forest. Nearly gave me heart failure.

I'm sorry, but for some reason that made me laugh for about two minutes non-stop (which is not a good idea when it is three in. The morning and your parents are asleep and they think you're asleep too).

I found this secret chamber while exploring Clay Tunnel, when I was expecting it to lead out to somewhere like Twist Mountain (if it does, then I haven't found the exit yet =p). No one tell me what's supposed to be there, I want it to be a surprise.

physi1

The Zoroark in BW2 Lostlorn Forest. Nearly gave me heart failure.
Yeah I remember that. I looked around for awhile hoping to catch it. then in driftveil, i went back to the pc to make room for the zorua, came back and there was a zoroark due to the memory link. i didn't get a chance to save and was worried i might miss it.

also there was one time i was randomly grinding, not paying much attention when a shiny deerling appeared. i was very lucky to catch a glimpse of the shining animation or i would've missed it entirely. unfortunately now i'm always half expecting everything i see to be shiny now i've seen it happen. It makes you wonder if you've ever missed any shinies in the past.

ZombieMeatballs

ポケットモンスター
That Pokerus! My friend traded me his pokemon and it had pokerus and he didn't even know it ha ha

Hydreigon6507

I got Pokèrus while I was training on my first file of Black 1.

ynony

Flash of Lightning
Riding in the car playing Gold when Entei shows up for the first time. I had found Raikou a couple of weeks before and was actually trying to track him with the pokedex when Entei appeared. So after getting over my shock I used what I thought was a weak attack only for a critical hit to knock it completely out. Needless to say I was pretty bummed. After resetting I played for another hour or so when I found Suicune. I immediately ran from the battle and saved so I would be able to track him and avoid repeating my mistake. I couldn't believe my luck and was thinking if only I hadn't accidentally knocked out Entei I could be tracking all 3 down. So later in the day we're heading home and get to the same stretch of road that I had saw Entei earlier. I went to the same route I had saw him on the first time and started walking around thinking what have I got to lose. Imagine how shocked I was when Entei showed up in the exact same tile of grass AGAIN!! Obviously I ran and saved and spent the next couple of days tracking and catching all three. I couldn't believe I had found two of the Beasts in the same day and one of them twice!

Also in Gold version about the third time I tried to catch Ho-oh, it was shiny after tossing about 50 balls and using 10-15 revives it I ran out of poke balls. I just stared at longingly for a few minutes before having to turn it off in disgust. The only other shiny I've seen to this day is a Spinda I caught in Diamond.

Battling Cynthia in the elite four and our last pokemon both ran out of moves. That was the first time I've ever seen struggle, I ended up loosing. Needless to say it was very unexpected.

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
Some of the strange and bad endings in the Pokestar movies surprised me! I got the strange ending in the first Invaders movie and the player said he wanted to join the aliens. That got me! XD I got the bad ending in the first Timegate travelers and the machine exploded. A side effect was that the player merged with my Emolga (Pokemon I was using). I've got to purposely do some of these endings to see what happens 8D

Charoshi

Charmander is best
When I was hatching eggs the other night I wasn't paying much attention and I hatched an Aipom and had to do a double take. It was pink. I hadn't even been trying to hatch shinies and I had one right in front of me. I was shocked.

Kiruria

La Melancolie Noir
The Castelia Sewers seem to have been a lucky place for me in Black 2. One time I was training my Pokemon there and encountered a shiny Rattata. Another time, I was training there and went back to the Pokemon Centre, and noticed the medal guy was there. I was thinking, "What did I get a medal for?" And I literally jumped in my seat when it turned out to be the Pokerus medal. I spoke to the nurse and sure enough, my team had caught Pokerus training in the sewers. I totally didn't expect both of these things to happen so early in the game (I only had two badges at the time).

Speaking further of Castelia City, I remember an unexpected moment way back when I battled Burgh in White. I was up against his Leavanny (also his last Pokemon), and sent out my Blitzle for the purposes of paralyzing it. So Blitzle used Thunder Wave, and barely survived Leavanny's attack with 1HP... I decided why the hell not, I'll use Flame Charge on it. Did that, and Leavanny was fully paralyzed. Next turn, Burgh used a Super Potion (or some other healing item) on Leavanny. Blitzle took out ~1/3 of Leavanny's HP with Flame Charge again. Turn after that, another Flame Charge, Leavanny fully paralyzed. One more Flame Charge, and Leavanny fainted! I had brought along a few Fire/Flying/Rock-type Pokemon for taking care of Leavanny, but I never expected my Blitzle to win that battle!

In the same White game, you won't believe how loudly I cried "OMG!" when I caught Terrakion in the first Dusk Ball I threw at it. Granted, it was already at 1HP and asleep, but still...

I also get a little annoyed when a trainer's Pokemon uses an unexpected TM move. My biggest example of this was when I was progressing through Victory Road in White, and decided to send out my Jellicent to battle a trainer's Beheeyem. First turn, Beheeyem used Thunderbolt. Not only did I not expect that, I literally thought the trainer had specifically designed that Beheeyem to be good at dealing with Jellicents.

And finally, back to the Castelia Sewers in Black 2, I still remember how shocked I was when I entered there early this month and saw that all the water was gone.

TraceySketchesIt

Croagunk is awesome
When Burgh visited my Join Avenue. I wasn't really expecting that. Another surprising moment was when I saw the Wailord in the Marine Tube for the second time.