• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

United States Gun Control: Gun Control = Fascism Everybody!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maedar

Banned
Maeder, why do you support gun control? Let's try discussing your reasons.

Because a gun is a weapon, it can kill and it seems every week, on average, there's a story about someone being killed because of a careless gun owner, or worse, a shooting by some lunatic.

And I adamantly believe that simply giving your wallet to a mugger gives you a better chance of surviving that trying to fight back with your own gun. Know why? Because every police officer you would ask (and even John Walsh) will tell you that.

LDSman

Because a gun is a weapon, it can kill and it seems every week, on average, there's a story about someone being killed because of a careless gun owner, or worse, a shooting by some lunatic.
Does it not matter that guns are used far more often to stop crimes and save lives? Tragedy sells newspapers and they often exaggerate things. There are not any weekly shootings by lunatics and it's a big country. It's easy to find an incident of carelessness when you search millions of people.
People are far more careless with cars. There are far more accidents involving swimming pools.
And I adamantly believe that simply giving your wallet to a mugger gives you a better chance of surviving that trying to fight back with your own gun. Know why? Because every police officer you would ask (and even John Walsh) will tell you that.
Your beliefs would be wrong.
As earlier links have shown, muggers can and do kill even if they get what they wanted, that people who are armed stand a better chance of successfully fighting back and not getting injured if they have a gun and the police also advice people to not let an assailant take you to a different location. As far as "every" police officer? That would be wrong. There was a police chief a few months back that advised people to protect themselves rather than wait for the police to show up.

Last edited:
...and it seems every week, on average, there's a story about someone being killed because of a careless gun owner, or worse, a shooting by some lunatic.
The Jeane Dixon effect. Just seriously injured a careless poster.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
You mean this?

http://skepdic.com/dixon

I fail to see how this particular issue applies. As the article states:

The Jeane Dixon effect refers to the tendency of the mass media to hype or exaggerate a few correct predictions by a psychic, guaranteeing that they will be remembered, while forgetting or ignoring the much more numerous incorrect predictions.

The issue we're talking about does not involve a psychic - or even predictions by a political pundit if you want to stretch the point of what the Jean Dixon effect can cover - at all.

LDS, here's a test. Take out your wallet and check to see how much cash is in it. Then write down a few things you could buy with that much cash.

Then, ask yourself if any of those things are really worth defending in a gunfight and risking your life over.

If you're willing to defend $50 with a gun, it's nothing more than greed, plain and simple. That $50 wouldn't even scratch the surface of the hospital bills you'd need if you were injured, or the therapy your family would have to undergo if you were killed.

If someone points a gun at you and demands your wallet, let the guy have it. I can't promise he won't he still won't shoot, but I can promise you that he will if you try to use your own gun. So using logic, the first option is much safer.

As far as "every" police officer? That would be wrong. There was a police chief a few months back that advised people to protect themselves rather than wait for the police to show up.

Name? Date? Location? I heard the news story of the police chief who was fired for going on Facebook with guns, threatening the President, and daring him to take them.

Last edited:

LDSman

You mean this?

http://skepdic.com/dixon

I fail to see how this particular issue applies. As the article states:

The issue we're talking about does not involve a psychic - or even predictions by a political pundit if you want to stretch the point of what the Jean Dixon effect can cover - at all.
Gun control groups and the media are "predicting" more shootings. They then stretch and distort definitions so they can claim they were right. For example. MAIG put out a "map" of "school shootings" from the last few months. They listed suicides that occurred outside of school hours, domestic disputes that happened in the parking lot, gang fights that started elsewhere and ended in front of the school, and even listed a case of self defense.

LDS, here's a test. Take out your wallet and check to see how much cash is in it. Then write down a few things you could buy with that much cash.
Jokes on you. I don't have any cash in my wallet and rarely carry all that much anyway.

Then, ask yourself if any of those things are really worth defending in a gunfight and risking your life over.
Tell me how I can tell which mugger will take the wallet and leave and which mugger will shoot me to prevent me from calling the cops? Tell me which mugger won't decide to go to the address listed on my driver's license later to commit a little B&E? Tell me which mugger isn't really a rapist or psycho killer checking to see how much resistance I put up before they decide to move to the next step in their sick plan?

If you're willing to defend $50 with a gun, it's nothing more than greed, plain and simple. That $50 wouldn't even scratch the surface of the hospital bills you'd need if you were injured, or the therapy your family would have to undergo if you were killed.
Greed? Standing up against bullies is greed? Keeping something you worked hard for is greed? Are banks being greedy because they have guards? What's greedy is someone wanting to take something from someone else.

If someone points a gun at you and demands your wallet, let the guy have it. I can't promise he won't he still won't shoot, but I can promise you that he will if you try to use your own gun. So using logic, the first option is much safer.
And yet, I've posted any number of attempted muggins where the mugger fled rather than shoot, where the victim successfully fought back and wasn't injured, where the victim won against multiple attackers, etc.
And again I ask.

Does it not matter that guns are used far more often to stop crimes and save lives?

Name? Date? Location? I heard the news story of the police chief who was fired for going on Facebook with guns, threatening the President, and daring him to take them.
Two separate locations.
http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2014...olice-chief-wants-citizens-to-arm-themselves/
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...tells-residents-to-arm-themselves-amid-cuts/1

And what person are you referring to?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
LDS, I'm tired of this.

Here's some advice by sensible police:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-should-i-do-in-a-mugging.htm

Here's the important part:

If you are caught in a mugging despite your precautions, the safest thing to do is to comply with the mugger's requests. A mugging can turn ugly, especially if the mugger has a knife or gun. If asked to empty your bag or pockets, obey calmly. Remember: you can stop payment on credit cards and file a stolen phone report with your cellular phone provider, so it is better to simply let go of these items. Respond neutrally to any questions the mugger asks, and be non-confrontational. Try to end your interaction as quickly as possible and get somewhere safe.

I looked up your links. The Police Chief of Detroit? Uh huh. He's a model cop, as is the rest of the force. (I'm being sarcastic. The cops in that city are worthless and the mob is running the place.)

Then I read the other article, and looked up Judge Alfred Mackey. First of all, a judge is not a police officer. Then I found another article about him:

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2010/04/ashtabula_judge_says_people_ma.html

Seems his jurisdiction is a powder keg where, again, the police are worthless.

LDSman

So I should only listen to the advice of the police you agree with?

Maeder, are you aware of what "confirmation bias" is?

And I still want to know whether or not the vast number of self defense cases with guns matter to you at all?

Maedar

Banned
And I still want to know whether or not the vast number of self defense cases with guns matter to you at all?

No, they do not. They encourage violence.

LDS, you just don't realize that your idea of justice only creates more injustice.

You won't listen to people I agree with? Fine. Then please respect my right to not listen to the people YOU agree with.

LDSman

No, they do not. They encourage violence.
Please explain the logic behind this? Are you seriously suggesting that people who defend themselves against an attacker are wrong to do so? If they hadn't been attacked, there would not be violence.

LDS, you just don't realize that your idea of justice only creates more injustice.
I wasn't aware we were discussing justice? I thought we were discussing gun control. If a person committing a crime gets hurt by their intended victim, that is the fault of the person committing the crime. What is the "injustice" there?

You won't listen to people I agree with?
I never said I wasn't listening. I was pointing out your double standards. "Listen to the police, unless I don't agree with him."

Fine. Then please respect my right to not listen to the people YOU agree with.
You have already exhibited a pattern of ignoring and disregarding things that you don't agree with.

It's the worst case of confirmation bias I have ever seen.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
I wasn't aware we were discussing justice? I thought we were discussing gun control. If a person committing a crime gets hurt by their intended victim, that is the fault of the person committing the crime. What is the "injustice" there?

So, you want criminals to be hurt? As in, an eye for an eye. With no due process? That sounds like vigilante justice IMOHO. Need I remind you, you've previously screamed about how a gun control law ignores the "innocent until proven guilty" clause of our Constitution, which I often doubt you've ever read.

LDSman

So, you want criminals to be hurt? As in, an eye for an eye.
I said "if" a criminal gets hurt, it is their own fault for attacking someone.

Edit: Explain how self defense encourages violence?

With no due process?
So you are arguing that a mugger isn't a mugger unless it goes to court first?

That sounds like vigilante justice IMOHO.
Self defense is not vigilante justice. Someone hunting down muggers is a vigilante. A person reacting to a mugging as it occurs, is not.

Need I remind you, you've previously screamed about how a gun control law ignores the "innocent until proven guilty" clause of our Constitution, which I often doubt you've ever read.

Feel free to point out where I said "innocent until proven guilty." I have said that gun control laws make law-abiding citizens into criminals without the citizen having done anything. And feel free to point out where in the Constitution it says "innocent until proven guilty."

Edit: The problem isn't guns. There are millions of gun owners that do not shoot people. Yes, a random mass shooting is bad. So is a forest fire. So are car accidents. So are drownings. No one is trying to ban matches. No one is trying to prevent people from owning cars. No one is banning people from getting in the water.

Yes there are gun owners that aren't responsible people. There any number of people that are idiots that do stupid things that get people killed. By driving recklessly, by serving contaminated food, by throwing rocks off overpasses.

As statistics have shown, law abiding citizens have stopped far more crimes, often without injuries to either party, than criminals have used guns to commit crimes. Guns enable the elderly, the weak, the outnumbered, to defend themselves (with far fewer injuries) successfully against criminals than any other type of weapon out there. When questioned, criminals have stated that the thought a firearm might be used against them was enough to make the criminal seek a different target.

Crime rates continue to drop while gun ownership in the US rises. Accidental and intentional gun deaths continue to drop even as restrictive gun laws are removed.

Time and time again, the predicted outcomes of the gun control groups has failed to occur. Florida is not awash in blood from the change in their concealed carry permit system. The expired gun ban from a decade ago did not result in more crimes with so called "assault weapons."

At this time, the benefits outweigh the costs.

Gun control groups continue to lie and rely on emotional events to push their agenda.

http://gunowners.org/opnem01.htm

http://reason.com/blog/2013/04/19/3-reasons-why-failed-gun-control-laws-wo

You want to convince me that things would be better without guns? Do so without lying. Do so without "Think of the Children!" propaganda. Convince me that the millions of criminals who commit crimes without guns already, won't be encouraged to commit more crimes when they have more targets to choose from.

Check this for a prime example of gun control people who don't have a clue.

This link is suitable for work. Browse any other days at your own risk.

Webcomic with a video link in the comments section to a gun control video.

http://ftf-comics.com/?comic=assault-weapons-the-definition

Last edited:

LDSman

Using a Webcomic to make a point? We're really reaching here.
The webcomic was incidental. As said, there is a gun control video that demonstrates the lack of knowledge that many gun control types have. I also had other points listed in my post that you apparently don't have a response for.

Sure, like say, this one?

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showth...ol-Fascism-Everybody!&p=17023225#post17023225

Too easy. That was one of my favorites. (Okay, I'll admit, not even Palin deserved that. But Faz sure did.)

All you did was link back to your last post. It seems to be harder than you thought.

Edit:

So politicians pass a law that won't lower crime rates and now a lot of police officers may be refusing to enforce it.
http://www.examiner.com/article/conn-police-refuse-to-enforce-new-gun-laws
Edit:

http://www.constitution.org/mil/tn/batathen.htm

Civilians and returned soldiers help remove corrupt politicians from power in Athens, Tenn. They used firearms to do so.

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Sorry, this is the correct link:

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=1196

My point was, webcomics aren't exactly reliable sources, as you can see. (Damn funny, yes, but a little short on fact.)

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the Battle of Athens, which you linked to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

Read the Aftermath section. In fact, I'll quote it:

The recovered ballots certified the election of the five GI Non-Partisan League candidates. Among the reforms instituted was a change in the method of payment and a $5,000 salary cap for officials. In the initial momentum of victory, gambling houses in collusion with the Cantrell regime were raided and their operations demolished. Deputies of the prior administration resigned and were replaced.

The new government encountered challenges including at least eleven resignations of county administrators. On January 4, 1947, four of the five leaders of the GI Non-Partisan League declared in an open letter: "We abolished one machine only to replace it with another and more powerful one in the making." The League failed to establish itself permanently and traditional political parties soon returned to power.

End result of this insurrection where they "used guns to remove corrupt politicians from power"? Riots and inability by the new government to lead due to incompetence. In other words, failure. With the traditional political parties returning to power.

Last edited:

LDSman

Sorry, this is the correct link:

http://www.shortpacked.com/index.php?id=1196

My point was, webcomics aren't exactly reliable sources, as you can see. (Damn funny, yes, but a little short on fact.)
Except my link actually had the actual video it was referring to attached. That's a lot more reliable than a comic about a toy store.

Here's the Wikipedia entry on the Battle of Athens, which you linked to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Athens_(1946)

Read the Aftermath section. In fact, I'll quote it:

End result of this insurrection where they "used guns to remove corrupt politicians from power"? Riots and inability by the new government to lead due to incompetence. In other words, failure. With the traditional political parties returning to power.

Removing part of the problem does not equal riots.

gambling houses in collusion with the Cantrell regime were raided and their operations demolished. Deputies of the prior administration resigned and were replaced.

http://www.constitution.org/mil/tn/batathen.htm

VII. The Aftermath: Restoring Democracy in McMinn County

In five precincts free of vote fraud, the GI candidate for Sheriff, Knox Henry, won 1,168 votes to Cantrell's 789. Other GI candidates won by similar margins.

The GIs did not hate Cantrell. They only wanted honest government. On 2 August, a town meeting set up a three-man governing committee. The regular police having fled, six men were chosen to police Athens; a dozen GIs were sent to police Etowah. In addition, "Individual citizens were called upon to form patrols or guard groups, often led by a GI. ...To their credit, however, there is not a single mention of an abuse of power on their behalf." (Byrum, p. 220).

Once the GI candidates' victory had been certified, they cleaned-up county government:
•the jail was fixed;
•newly-elected officials accepted a $5,000 pay limit;
•Mansfield supporters who resigned, were replaced.

The general election on 5 November passed quietly. McMinn Countians, having restored the Rule of Law, returned to their daily lives. Pat Mansfield moved back to Georgia. Paul Cantrell set up an auto dealership in Etowah. "Almost everyone who knew Cantrell in the years after the 'Battle' agree that he was not bitter about what had happened." (Byrum, pp. 232-33; see also New York Times, 9 August 1946, p. 8).

Where is the incompetence?
Edit:
Sure, their political group did not last long. It didn't need to.

edit: How would you remove this group from power? The sheriff had his armed deputies. They were attacking the GIs for daring to speak up. They had control of the ballet boxes and were saying that the results of every election favored them. The federal gov't was ignoring those that asked for oversight. What other option did they have?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Taking webcomics as serious political commentary makes as much sense as saying that Mortal Kombat is an accurate martial arts documentary.

It was still a failure. And by the way, LDS, the Battle of Athens took place in 1946. More recent attempts to defy the federal government fail miserably, even when you are a legitimately elected official with an armed force backing you up. I will give two well-known examples.

There's this famous incident from 1957:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

When the U.S. Supreme Court issued its historic Brown v. Board of Education ruling forbidding school segregation, Governor Orval Faubus (the reason no-one names their sons "Orval" anymore these days) said "Over my dead body", and told the Arkansas National Guard to support the segregationist protestors and blockade the Central High School with armed guards.

The President simply used one stroke of a pen to relieve him of his command of the National Guard, and as it turned out, they would not "protect their own", telling him and the segregationists to take a hike. Eisenhower then ordered the nine students given an armed escort by federal troops.

Long story short, Faubus was daring the President to stop him. He was stopped.

Here's a far more recent example from 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teri_Schiavo

Jeb Bush (who will never be President) sided with Teri Schiavo's idiot parents who thought it was possible to cure her, despite the diagnosis of numerous doctors that she had been rendered irreversibly brain dead. After fifteen years of legal battles, both her parents and Bush ran out of options with Judge Greer's order. But again, Bush wouldn't give up. An to the Second District Court of Appeals the following day, which resulted in an automatic stay under state law. While the stay was in effect, Florida Department of Law Enforcement personnel prepared to take custody of Terri and transfer her to a local hospital for reinsertion of the feeding tube.

But Greer had enough. He ordered the appeal lifted and for all parties to stand down. When the possibility that refusal to heed this order may have resulted in a confrontation between the Pinellas Park Police Department and the FDLE agents, Bush did something unheard of for a Republican: he gave up. Despite enormous pressure from the political right.

Long story short, LDS, in this country, the pen is mightier than the sword, especially when the highest ranking officials can use pens to authorize the use of the biggest and most powerful swords.

And in this day and age, if those people in Athens had been an actual threat, the governor of Tennessee would have called in the Marines, and within an hour, the place would have been secured, with all members of the resistance in jail.

LDSman

Taking webcomics as serious political commentary makes as much sense as saying that Mortal Kombat is an accurate martial arts documentary.
Any response to the VIDEO link the webcomic was referring to? Or do you plan on ignoring that?

It was still a failure. And by the way, LDS, the Battle of Athens took place in 1946.
How so? They got what they wanted. Free and honest elections with the crooked removed from power.

More recent attempts to defy the federal government fail miserably, even when you are a legitimately elected official with an armed force backing you up. I will give two well-known examples.

There's this famous incident from 1957:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Rock_Nine

When the U.S. Supreme Court issued its historic Brown v. Board of Education ruling forbidding school segregation, Governor Orval Faubus (the reason no-one names their sons "Orval" anymore these days) said "Over my dead body", and told the Arkansas National Guard to support the segregationist protestors and blockade the Central High School with armed guards.
This would be the corrupt gov't ignoring the Rule of Law. And names fall out of favor all the time. You can't prove that this is why it's not a popular name.

The President simply used one stroke of a pen to relieve him of his command of the National Guard, and as it turned out, they would not "protect their own", telling him and the segregationists to take a hike. Eisenhower then ordered the nine students given an armed escort by federal troops.

Long story short, Faubus was daring the President to stop him. He was stopped.
This is an example of the gov't squabbling with itself. Not an example of citizens combating a corrupt local gov't. Athens could not get the rest of the gov't to help.

Here's a far more recent example from 2005.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teri_Schiavo

Jeb Bush (who will never be President) sided with Teri Schiavo's idiot parents
How nice of you to call people who hoped desparately for the daughter to recover idiots. There were people on both sides of the aisle who supported the parents. Why are you singling out Jeb Bush?

I thought about making a response to all the biased crap in here but it's not relevant. Schiavo was not a case of people fighting the gov't in any form. It was a case of parents who wanted to care for their daughter vs a spouse who had moved on and was in a relationship with someone else. And this was also a case of parts of the gov't arguing with other parts of the gov't. Both political groups were involved on both sides. There were disability groups involved, right to die groups and other groups. This wasn't a Dem vs Rep issue.

Long story short, LDS, in this country, the pen is mightier than the sword, especially when the highest ranking officials can use pens to authorize the use of the biggest and most powerful swords.
If the pen is mightier than the sword, why do they need swords?

And in this day and age, if those people in Athens had been an actual threat, the governor of Tennessee would have called in the Marines, and within an hour, the place would have been secured, with all members of the resistance in jail.

Except the governor did call the NG. Then decided not to use them.

Governor McCord mobilized the State Guard, perhaps to scare the GIs into withdrawing. The State Guard never went to Athens. McCord may have feared that Guard units filled with ex-GIs might not fire on other ex-GIs.

So you think that instead of addressing the gov't corruption, the correct option would have been to jail them all?

Maedar

Banned
I thought about making a response to all the biased crap in here but it's not relevant. Schiavo was not a case of people fighting the gov't in any form. It was a case of parents who wanted to care for their daughter vs a spouse who had moved on and was in a relationship with someone else. And this was also a case of parts of the gov't arguing with other parts of the gov't. Both political groups were involved on both sides. There were disability groups involved, right to die groups and other groups. This wasn't a Dem vs Rep issue.

No sympathy for her husband - you know, her legal next of kin - who was devastated by the fact that her parents were using technology to maintain her in a state that was pretty much a living corpse.

She was in a vegetative state, LDS, as almost every expert said. Her body was alive, but her brain had been destroyed, rendering her at most a mockery of true life. You can't cure something like that. She stopped being Teri Schiavo after the accident, and what she was then... Her parents were in denial and simply couldn't face reality.

And please don't say it "was not a political issue" because it was and we all know it.

And again, I repeat, what happened in 1946 in Athens won't happen today.

Edit: And as for corrupt elections, ever hear of Bleeding Kansas? It was one of the biggest and most obvious election scams in history. It didn't cause an armed resistance, but it was one major factor to something much bigger:

The Civil War.

An armed rebellion against the central government which failed miserably.

Last edited:

LDSman

No sympathy for her husband - you know, her legal next of kin - who was devastated by the fact that her parents were using technology to maintain her in a state that was pretty much a living corpse.
Not all that much. He could have let the parents take care of her.

She was in a vegetative state, LDS, as almost every expert said. Her body was alive, but her brain had been destroyed, rendering her at most a mockery of true life. You can't cure something like that. She stopped being Teri Schiavo after the accident, and what she was then... Her parents were in denial and simply couldn't face reality.
Then why not let her parents take care of her? Her brain was deteriating. Schiavo was gone. There wasn't enough left of her brain to hold a personality.

And please don't say it "was not a political issue" because it was and we all know it.
It was a complex issue.

And again, I repeat, what happened in 1946 in Athens won't happen today.
I would hope that the gov't wouldn't ignore rampant voter fraud.

Edit: And as for corrupt elections, ever hear of Bleeding Kansas? It was one of the biggest and most obvious election scams in history. It didn't cause an armed resistance, but it was one major factor to something much bigger:
Yeah it did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas#Open_violence

People were fighting over this.

In August 1856, thousands of pro slavery men formed into armies and marched into Kansas. That same month, Brown and several of his followers engaged 400 pro slavery soldiers in the "Battle of Osawatomie". The hostilities raged for another two months until Brown departed the Kansas Territory, and a new territorial governor, John W. Geary, took office and managed to prevail upon both sides for peace. This was followed by a fragile peace broken by intermittent violent outbreaks for two more years. The last major outbreak of violence was touched off by the Marais des Cygnes massacre in 1858, in which Border Ruffians killed five Free State men. In all, approximately 56 people died in Bleeding Kansas by the time the violence ended in 1859.[
The proslavery groups committed voter fraud to get their people elected and the antislavery people fought back. The Kansas gov't was illegitimate but federally recognized.
This was the basis for the Free State Territorial government that resisted the illegitimate, but federally authorized government elected by non-resident, and thus unqualified Missourians.

The Civil War.

An armed rebellion against the central government which failed miserably.

And it only took 4 years to fail.

Edit:

Any chance you plan to respond to the other points raised in my other posts? Or are you planning on ignoring things you can't refute again?

Last edited:

Maedar

Banned
Not all that much. He could have let the parents take care of her.

Then why not let her parents take care of her? Her brain was deteriating. Schiavo was gone. There wasn't enough left of her brain to hold a personality.

You aren't married, I take it.

He loved his wife, LDS, and the fact that her parents were refusing to let her be laid to rest...

Just ask Spock. I would consider such a thing blasphemy.

And it only took 4 years to fail.

And it caused more deaths than all wars the U.S. has been involved in combined. It wasn't a good idea on the South's part.

Status
Not open for further replies.