• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Unloved" Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
Poor Relicanth. People only used it to get the Regis and then dumped it. But Relicanth deserves way more attention, being based on the coelacanth, a truly awesome fish!

Relicanth reminds me of my dad. When I was younger, we would go fishing all the time. One day, he told me about the "living fossil", the coelacanth, a fish thought to be extinct recaught in the late 1900s. As an impressionable young kid, I was captivated by the story, and I have loved coelacanths to this day. So to find a Relicanth for the first time was so cool!

I get that not everyone will have this sentimental value, but you gotta admit it's based on a pretty awesome fish. It also has a pretty funny Japanese name, Glanth, the beginning of which comes from their term for old man. Hue.

Seismitoad really deserves more love. People instantly dismiss it as ugly, but I actually find it kinda cute in a way (yeah, go figure). It also helps that it's an extremely important member on my current White team.

Cat's Eye Draco

Seismitoad really deserves more love. People instantly dismiss it as ugly, but I actually find it kinda cute in a way (yeah, go figure). It also helps that it's an extremely important member on my current White team.

Seismitoad is probably my most used Gen V water type. Partly because there aren't many Gen V water types in general that I really like, but also because I like its typing and design. I have to admit I've always thought of it as kind of cute, as well; something about its Basset Hound-like gaze makes it seem oddly lovable. :D

Although, I have to admit that something about its cry has always seemed vaguely creepy to me (albeit in an "unsettling" rather than a "scary" way). I could never put my finger on why until recently, but its cry sounds just like the noise the giant lizard makes in the 1959 movie version of Journey to the Center of the Earth. (Well, the megalosaurus according to the movie summary, but it's always looked more like a giant salamander to me. *shrugs*)

Last edited:

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
The Chikorita line is probably the most unloved line of all the starters. Despite some of the disadvantages the grass typing has, Meganium is still a fairly decent mon to be used defensively, especially in main game. Hell, I even completed a Heart Gold (and yes beat Red) nuzelocke with Meganium. It isn't a bad pokemon as people make it out to be.

Vroomer

I take it you didn't play the Pokémon TCG in the last few years. Asking for a friend.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I do feel like Arceus falls in the unloved category, while yes Arceus is the pokeverse version of God, many people mark it off as overrated because Arceus is....god

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I do feel like Arceus falls in the unloved category, while yes Arceus is the pokeverse version of God, many people mark it off as overrated because Arceus is....god

I think it's more because of how few releases of Arceus we've gotten since it was introduced and with the exception of the 20th anniversary release, it is always given out in limited numbers in certain regions. Japan was the only place to get a Shiny. The pronounciation of Arceus is also a huge factor on why not many talk about it. There are at least seven different ways of saying its name.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I think it's more because of how few releases of Arceus we've gotten since it was introduced and with the exception of the 20th anniversary release, it is always given out in limited numbers in certain regions. Japan was the only place to get a Shiny. The pronounciation of Arceus is also a huge factor on why not many talk about it. There are at least seven different ways of saying its name.

Wasn't it changed from Ar-see-us to Ar-kee-us because of the British localization didn't want a pokemon to sound like "arse" or well...***?

If anything we might have more on Arceus whenever the Sinnoh Remakes become a thing, perhaps a link with Type Null/Silvally

Noheart

The Abysswalker
Phione comes to mind, the poor thing. I don't know why the designers came up with it, it's literally an inferior Manaphy. It's movepool is terrible as well.

Nidogod

Okay, so I'll just do a round-up for each generation, mostly for when they were released (i.e. GenIII pre-Physical/Special-split):

- GenI: Seaking. Don't go around denying it, nobody uses Seaking.

Fun fact, before Waterfall became an HM in GSC, it was a move exclusive to Goldeen/Seaking... if we're thinking of something that might make those useless Pokemon special.

Status
Not open for further replies.