• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Unloved" Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Oh god, I think I could write a novel about this. There are just so many unloved pokemon that I'm fond of.

But I guess the one I'm mostly willing to talk about is Golurk. Man do I love that adorable living statue. Unique type combo, great design and concept, can learn fly, and is just a really cool-looking pokemon. Also I love his cry XD

XXD17

Draco rex
So many unloved Pokes that I in particular really like..

Barbaracle - This thing is a BEAST. One of the better Shell Smashers. IDC about Cloyster, this thing wrecks house. I've managed to pull off sweeps with him because most people have no idea what to expect when a Barbaracle comes out it seems. He's got surprise factor, and a White Herb Shell Smash Barbaracle is quite the fierce threat.

Lapras - Lapras is a bulky, tanky, amazingly versatile Pokemon. I've liked it ever since Gen 1..Sadly though, there are better Water-types out there like Gyarados or Mega Swampert. I honestly think Lapras needs a pre-evolution and a Mega Evolution.

Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan - Both decently powerful Pokemon, Hitmonchan having every single punch in the game, potentially, and a good Sp.DEF stat. And Hitmonlee being very fast and is capable of hitting quite hard.

Zangoose - Toxic Boost Zangoose is a fearsome Pokemon that can hit almost as hard, or even harder than Diggersby. It's quite frail, but if you can get it set up, it is a monster.

I think barbaracle actually has more competition from carracosta...they are the same type, have about the same defense and attack stats and generally share the same movepool...sure barbaracle gets tough claws and is faster, but carracosta not only has sturdy, which allows it to use weakness policy, it also has priority STAB...barbaracle has to rely on cross chop, stone edge and razor shell meaning it increases the chance of missing...barabaracle is definitely a solid shell-smasher but it's understandable that it's always compared to other shell smashers...

Oh boy...

You can never go wrong with Shuckle, just give it a Passho berry and teach it power trick and Viola! You have a pretty good killer.

Dunsparce, the holy grail of the underdogs, many people try to run physical movesets, but due to his Serene Grace ability, and a wide TM range, Dunsparce can be that ace in the hole. (Mine knows Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Earthquake)

A Qwilfish with the right moves always suprises people

Budew can also be extremely annoying and loveable.

Many people forget that Magikarp can learn bounce.

Beautifly is often overlooked for Dustox.

Sableye is often looked over because of Spiritomb (I don't know about 6th, but I know he was in 5th)

There are lots of pokemon that are waiting to be used. Go use em.

katl

Personally, I still really like pikachu, sure its stats aren't that great, but having watched the show so much as a kid...just got to still love pikachu. Other pokemon I like that also aren't really good for battling would be: miltank, riolu, and scyther.

XXD17

Draco rex
You can never go wrong with Shuckle, just give it a Passho berry and teach it power trick and Viola! You have a pretty good killer.

Dunsparce, the holy grail of the underdogs, many people try to run physical movesets, but due to his Serene Grace ability, and a wide TM range, Dunsparce can be that ace in the hole. (Mine knows Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt and Earthquake)

A Qwilfish with the right moves always suprises people

Budew can also be extremely annoying and loveable.

Many people forget that Magikarp can learn bounce.

Beautifly is often overlooked for Dustox.

Sableye is often looked over because of Spiritomb (I don't know about 6th, but I know he was in 5th)

There are lots of pokemon that are waiting to be used. Go use em.

Let's see how should I respond here...

1) Passho berry? That's a very..um.."unique" (for the leak of a better word) item choice...wouldn't sitrus berry or custap berry be a better choice considering shuckle already has sturdy and all? Also...shuckle and that speed stat...I'm going to assume trick room is already up...however, shuckle is pretty annoying as an infestation toxic-staller though...

2) You got a lot of special attacks there...even with the serene grace boost, it will only be a 20% chance of a side effect, which I can't say is worth it considering that dunsparce has pretty bad offensive stats in general...wouldn't a better choice be to paraflinch considering that glare can para any non-electric pokemon and headbutt gets 60% flinch? This strategy gives some really nice usability for this guy...

3) I agree...defensive hazards qwilfish is actually pretty good...

4) Budew? Are you sure you don't mean roselia considering that eviolite roselia is actually pretty decent? Or are we talking little cup here?

5) I wouldn't call magikarp unloved considering that it evolves into a VERY popular pokemon...

6) I don't think either of them is given any attention considering that they are both overshadowed by butterfree (which isn't really saying much) or vivillon...

7) I would disagree...5th gen was actually when sableye had its heyday considering that not only did it have no weakness in fifth gen, it also got prankster making it an amazing wall/ lead...even now, both regular sableye and mega sableye are loved especially in battle...spiritomb, on the other hand doesn't have nearly as much utility as sableye had/ has...

Brutha

I feel like BW2s early game pokemon selection was designed to get people to use some of the less loved mon. Certainly I took Sunflora as a main squad member through my entire first playthrough. In gen IV I went out of my way to level a Bidoof (which I'd previously overlooked) to catch up with my main party the first time I saw Bibarel.

Creyk

I feel like BW2s early game pokemon selection was designed to get people to use some of the less loved mon. Certainly I took Sunflora as a main squad member through my entire first playthrough. In gen IV I went out of my way to level a Bidoof (which I'd previously overlooked) to catch up with my main party the first time I saw Bibarel.

I agree. If it wasn't for that pokemon selection, I would have never considered using a Lucario

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The only type of Sableye I think that is unloved os one that has Stall. With Fairy Pokemon introduced this hen, Stall seems like it'll do more harm than good.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
Just going to riff here..

Number one most Unloved pokémon: Stantler.

Lots of things from GenI and GenII have become far more usable over the years compared to how they were back in the day (think Gyarados, Flareon, Qwilfish, Xatu) with the Physical/Special-split, GenIV evolutions, Hidden Abilities and Mega Evolutions, as well as just the increasingly better movepools being the main reasons for many pokémon to have seen their usability rise. But Stantler? Stantler has been given a Grass-type immunity in Sap Sipper. Yay? It's not as if it needed anymore parallels to Sawsbuck thrown in its face... Honestly, the only thing that Stantler can do that Sawsbuck can't is getting some Psychic'y damage/mind games.. and use Sucker Punch? The flipside being that Sawsbuck has access to reliable recovery, Aromatherapy and has better stats all-around, except for SpA... which both shouldn't use...

And who has actually used Stantler outside of GS/HGSS? Truthfully? Because it's incredibly hard to actually start using the Original Deer, between getting a Tauros and/or Miltank in the next route and basically knowing that the next gym leaders use Ghost, Fighting and Steel-types. Are you really willing to invest in a Normal-type at that point of the game? Chances are that you're saying nope to Stantler every single time you pass Route 36/37. And that's just in Johto, but what about other generations? Do you even know how to get it? Where to get it? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

GenIII: Emerald and FR/LG.
- Safari Zone extension, or Altering Cave. Aka, post-game. In the former, it's rare and the latter had you use Wonder Spots to change which critter was in the cave. Who ever went to a Wonder Spot? What even is a Wonder Spot? For most gamers, it will forever be just a cave of Zubats.

GenIV:
- HGSS: The regular Johto-spots.
- DPt: PokéRadar in Pearl and Platinum. Aka post-game.

GenV:
- BW: Abundant Shrine.. Aka POST-GAME...

GenVI:
- OrAs: Mirage Mountain.. First game since Johto in which you can get a Stantler before facing the Elite Four.. and even it's after the main story-arc has ended and you just need to get the last badge and beat the E4. Who would seriously consider adding a Stantler to their team at that point?

I think this proves that it's not just the fandom in which Stantler is unloved, GameFreak hates it as well, giving the player almost zero chances of using it on their teams during their original playthroughs.. outside of Johto, in which they gave to indefinitely better options straight afterwards in Tauros and Miltank - or otherwise even Girafarig when you get the ability to Surf, which you get in Ecruteak, but you need to detour to Mahogany for the giraffe..

Last edited:

Fargo

Pokemon Trainer
I like drifblim and Mr mime.

I think jynx is the most unloved of all though. Especially because of that racist incedent on that one episode. People are shy or scared to use it because they think they'll be judged. I actually think jynx could be very useful in competitive battles.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Crawdaunt. I think it's overlooked by most Pokémon but has access to Dragon Dance + Aqua Jet, which is its best combo.

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
- Safari Zone extension, or Altering Cave. Aka, post-game. In the former, it's rare and the latter had you use Wonder Spots to change which critter was in the cave. Who ever went to a Wonder Spot? What even is a Wonder Spot? For most gamers, it will forever be just a cave of Zubats.
ust need to get the last badge and beat the E4. Who would seriously consider adding a Stantler to their team at that point?

You mean all Gamers.

The Wonder Spots for Altering Cave were literally never released, and if they were Stantler was the one they planned to release the last anyway so that was completely useless as well.

Locormus

You mean all Gamers.

The Wonder Spots for Altering Cave were literally never released, and if they were Stantler was the one they planned to release the last anyway so that was completely useless as well.

Another nail in the coffin then. I did some more research, and aside from appearing in that one Johto-filler with Brock, and appearing when Santa does.. Stantler's most notable appearance is being caught by Paul - just to be released (and replaced by another Johto Normal-type, Ursaring, in the same episode) literally seconds after its capture, being deemed too weak. #Wegetthemessage..

Swordfish

Flying Fury
Just going to riff here..

Number one most Unloved pokémon: Stantler.

Lots of things from GenI and GenII have become far more usable over the years compared to how they were back in the day (think Gyarados, Flareon, Qwilfish, Xatu) with the Physical/Special-split, GenIV evolutions, Hidden Abilities and Mega Evolutions, as well as just the increasingly better movepools being the main reasons for many pokémon to have seen their usability rise. But Stantler? Stantler has been given a Grass-type immunity in Sap Sipper. Yay? It's not as if it needed anymore parallels to Sawsbuck thrown in its face... Honestly, the only thing that Stantler can do that Sawsbuck can't is getting some Psychic'y damage/mind games.. and use Sucker Punch? The flipside being that Sawsbuck has access to reliable recovery, Aromatherapy and has better stats all-around, except for SpA... which both shouldn't use...

And who has actually used Stantler outside of GS/HGSS? Truthfully? Because it's incredibly hard to actually start using the Original Deer, between getting a Tauros and/or Miltank in the next route and basically knowing that the next gym leaders use Ghost, Fighting and Steel-types. Are you really willing to invest in a Normal-type at that point of the game? Chances are that you're saying nope to Stantler every single time you pass Route 36/37. And that's just in Johto, but what about other generations? Do you even know how to get it? Where to get it? I wouldn't blame you if you didn't.

GenIII: Emerald and FR/LG.

GenIV:
- HGSS: The regular Johto-spots.
- DPt: PokéRadar in Pearl and Platinum. Aka post-game.

GenV:
- BW: Abundant Shrine.. Aka POST-GAME...

GenVI:
- OrAs: Mirage Mountain.. First game since Johto in which you can get a Stantler before facing the Elite Four.. and even it's after the main story-arc has ended and you just need to get the last badge and beat the E4. Who would seriously consider adding a Stantler to their team at that point?

I think this proves that it's not just the fandom in which Stantler is unloved, GameFreak hates it as well, giving the player almost zero chances of using it on their teams during their original playthroughs.. outside of Johto, in which they gave to indefinitely better options straight afterwards in Tauros and Miltank - or otherwise even Girafarig when you get the ability to Surf, which you get in Ecruteak, but you need to detour to Mahogany for the giraffe..

Stantler actually had some use in HGSS if you had trouble beating Morty. IF i remember correctly, you could use it to defeat his Gengar as soon as you catch it as long as you don't change it's moves. His Gengar only had Sucker Punch to hit normal-types, so if you spammed Sand-Attack(known from capture) 5 times you could defeat it with Astonish and not get hit by Hypnosis too much due to Sand-Attack + bad accuracy. However, not in any playthroughs did I actually keep Stantler past that point and boxed him forever upon leaving the gym.

Yeah, he is pretty unloved beyond that though.

Creyk

I like drifblim and Mr mime.

I think jynx is the most unloved of all though. Especially because of that racist incedent on that one episode. People are shy or scared to use it because they think they'll be judged. I actually think jynx could be very useful in competitive battles.

The problem with Jynx is it's defenses are s poor it dies from Not very effective attacks.....
I actually have one IV Bred EV trained and all, but I only used it like twice because it's just a waste of space on a team

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Stantler actually had some use in HGSS if you had trouble beating Morty. IF i remember correctly, you could use it to defeat his Gengar as soon as you catch it as long as you don't change it's moves. His Gengar only had Sucker Punch to hit normal-types, so if you spammed Sand-Attack(known from capture) 5 times you could defeat it with Astonish and not get hit by Hypnosis too much due to Sand-Attack + bad accuracy. However, not in any playthroughs did I actually keep Stantler past that point and boxed him forever upon leaving the gym.

Yeah, he is pretty unloved beyond that though.

Or you could just use the Togepi.
As long as you just use Sweet Kiss and Yawn Morty would be literally unable to hit you at all,and Togepi also has Extrasensoey to boot.

Seriously, Stantler's only use and it's overshadowed by Togepi.

I believe the 'Sense Fairies' from Pokemon X/Y are overlooked. Spritzee, Aromatisse, Swirlix, and Slurpuff are all very interesting. However, as pure Fairy-Types, they're overlooked for Sylveon, Florges and Xerneas. Xerneas stands as a buff sweeper, with Sylveon and Florges as special tanks.

So Aromatisse looks worse in comparison to both of those. Sylveon has many of the same toys as Aromatisse (Draining Kiss + Whole Team Status Cure in the form of Heal Bell/Aromatherapy) whilst also sharing a type. Aromatisse does have superior HP though, and is an epic Trick Room team member. I'm using this thing in Y, and it is a TANK. It can also buff with Calm Mind to become a deadly Special Tank that can take so much. Clefable also out does it, but again has inferior HP.

On the other hand, Slurpuff has its impressive movepool as a boon. I mean Surf and Energy Ball? Calm down, cotton candymon! Its lack of Moonblast severely hurts it though...

Then there's the fact both are trade evolutions, and require an item...

Locormus

Going for another one here.. I'm going to use several parameters: Ingame obtainability, Ingame usability and Animé-Representation.

Drum-roll.. Mothim.

The male evolution of Burmy that just happened to be.

Ingame obtainability:
- DPt: Get a Burmy from a Honey Tree to be male and your set at lvl20. Honey Trees though..
- HgSs: One special tree needs to be Headbutted on Route 38, and you have a chance of knocking out a Burmy.
- BW: Nope. Transfer, or Dream World.. Which has been shut down.
- B2W2: Nope.
- XY: Route 3, 10%. Not very rare, but you need to consider that in Santalune Forest, you can get a Caterpie, Weedle, Surskit and the new and improved thing that evolves into Vivillon.
- ORAS: Not available, unless traded.

So all in all, if you didn't want to be bothered with Honey Trees, you were unlikely to ever get a Burmy or Mothim in DPt. HGSS gave you the option of getting a Burmy if you knew where a very specific single tree was, so that's not giving it any praise either considering most would miss this. Generation V basically ignored its existance. Generation VI brought it back, but surrounded by all its Bug/Flying-competition: Caterpie, Weedle, Scatterbug (had to look it up) and technically Masquerain. All in all, this tells us that GameFreak doesn't really like this thing a lot, but threw it in - because they could.

Ingame usability: Vivillon's right there.. And it's so much better, people tend to go for the new thing. The thing that Mothim uses is: Quiver Dance, Air Slash, Bug Buzz and Psychic. Vivillon and Masquerain can do pretty much the same, or better. Butterfree can do the same except Air Slash, but Butterfree gets CompoundEyes, meaning accurate Sleep Powder. It's as if GameFreak has denied Mothim its viability ingame as well.

Animé Representation:

Big surprise, this thing hasn't appeared outside of just TEN episodes, all of which were during the DPt-era. Last time we saw it was on July 24th, five years ago.

That being said, I'll be laughing my butt off if anybody has seen it competitively since as well.

Looking into this, Stantler hasn't been seen since a few episodes before Mothim's big disappearing act: July 3rd of 2010 in the US.

I believe the 'Sense Fairies' from Pokemon X/Y are overlooked. Spritzee, Aromatisse, Swirlix, and Slurpuff are all very interesting. However, as pure Fairy-Types, they're overlooked for Sylveon, Florges and Xerneas. Xerneas stands as a buff sweeper, with Sylveon and Florges as special tanks.

So Aromatisse looks worse in comparison to both of those. Sylveon has many of the same toys as Aromatisse (Draining Kiss + Whole Team Status Cure in the form of Heal Bell/Aromatherapy) whilst also sharing a type. Aromatisse does have superior HP though, and is an epic Trick Room team member. I'm using this thing in Y, and it is a TANK. It can also buff with Calm Mind to become a deadly Special Tank that can take so much. Clefable also out does it, but again has inferior HP.

On the other hand, Slurpuff has its impressive movepool as a boon. I mean Surf and Energy Ball? Calm down, cotton candymon! Its lack of Moonblast severely hurts it though...

Then there's the fact both are trade evolutions, and require an item...

I don't really agree here. I agree with your analysis of Aromatisse, but it's not unloved. There's plenty of people who use it competitively, especially in doubles/triples/TR - and it's line isn't unloved in the animé either, Spritzee being the first critter Ash sees when arriving in Kalos. Slurpuff is one of those critters that can actually pull off Belly Drum quite well, partnered with a Sitrus Berry healing it up quite a bit, and the Unburden speed boost. Whereas Azumarill will remain Reliant on Aqua Jet to bypass foes. It also has access to Drain Punch, so set up the BD, you get 30HP back instantly, Unburden doubles your speed to acceptable levels, whack the opponent with Drain Punch and the 50%HP cost is fully replenished and you can spam the Fairy/Fighting-combo from there. And again, the animé hasn't shunned it either.

They're also not hard to obtain either outside of version exclusivity. Compare that to the analysis of Stantler I made.

Status
Not open for further replies.