• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

"Unloved" Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
Klefki, maybe? It's a really good Pokemon and its design has grown on me, I don't think it deserves the hate just cause it's a keyring
it was "loved" the most until smogon banned swagger

Rika24

Fire Pokemon Trainer
Raichu, i've always loved this pokemon since Blue, but Pikachu gets more attention. i normally stick with pokemon i like, no matter how much others say they're useless. i used Charizard before he got his megas, same with Ninetales pre-drought.

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Raichu, i've always loved this pokemon since Blue, but Pikachu gets more attention. i normally stick with pokemon i like, no matter how much others say they're useless. i used Charizard before he got his megas, same with Ninetales pre-drought.

Believe it or not, raichu is pretty popular in VGC, fake out? Opponent protects, then you smack em with an encore, and viola, failed protects for days! Also, it carries sash.

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Pre-Scrappy Boomburst, Exploud was onloved. It came from a generation that brought the best starter trio and a multitude of good usable normal types, and it kind of just fell flat. However, all it needed was a new move and ability and it became a great choice for many things.

Rika24

Fire Pokemon Trainer
Believe it or not, raichu is pretty popular in VGC, fake out? Opponent protects, then you smack em with an encore, and viola, failed protects for days! Also, it carries sash.

really? i thought Pikachu was more used because of light ball.

Biornha

Carracosta, with the good moves and set up it can be a big threat to a lot of people. I use it common and it is a great counter for a lot of pokemon (talonflame and Mega charizard Y) just abuse his shell and his sturdy and most of the time you are fine.

Locormus

Can we please get the older, old forum back?
castform???????

I was just going to say this. Hoenn had too many good Normal-types with better niches. Just from the top of my head, there's Slaking (aka, ultimate revenge killer), Zangoose, the Toxic Boost-wrecker, and Linoone, which is a great Pick-Up-Slave (and lol, B-Drum sweeper or ResTalk+QuickFeet), Spinda has 10BST in each stat, but in general gets more usage due to better support moves and sheer annoyance, and Delcatty can become pretty buff with enough Cosmic Power-boosts and then could give you hell if you use the Normalize-spreading-strategy.. and then there's Protean Kecleon, which is easy-use honestly.

And it didn't get any better for Castform with the Weather-nerf. The only thing it's got is Weatherball and recently Hurricane, which means that the only viable set has become: Weatherball/Hydro Pump, Thunder, Hurricane, Rain Dance.. Which makes it quite predictable in my eyes.

What should happen though, is that it gets a Mega Evolution, and focuses everything on special attack and speed. Now, you could wonder, how would that work? In my eyes, it should ditch Forecast after the Mega Evolution, and give it Adaptability, to crank up stuff like Weatherball even further. So basically, the use would turn into this:
- Castform switches form before Mega Evolving.
- The Mega Evolution form is based on the form it had when Mega Evolving. After which there's no switching back. So a Rainy Castform can evolve into Rainy Mega Castform, but can't change to Sunny Mega Castform after it has Mega Evolved. That's the only way Castform could get a Mega Evolution, with a different ability then Forecast after Mega Evolving.

That would make Castform a bit more usable.

Carracosta, with the good moves and set up it can be a big threat to a lot of people. I use it common and it is a great counter for a lot of pokemon (talonflame and Mega charizard Y) just abuse his shell and his sturdy and most of the time you are fine.

CostaSmash is actually pretty common online to my knowledge.. Two great STABs and the initially low speed allows it to tank a hit before smashing and sweeping afterwards.

ThatQuagsireGirl

Quagsire 24/7
I personally think that Mandibuzz is overlooked. I really like Mandibuzz, though. It has an awesome design to go with an awesome type! I feel that pretty much all dark types get overlooked because of Umbreon. However, I do like Umbreon as well.

KillerDraco

I personally think that Mandibuzz is overlooked. I really like Mandibuzz, though. It has an awesome design to go with an awesome type! I feel that pretty much all dark types get overlooked because of Umbreon. However, I do like Umbreon as well.

Nothing in that statement is remotely true.

Mandibuzz was very popular at the start of Gen 6 as one of the few reliable Aegislash counters, a solid Defogger, and just a generally solid defensive Pokemon. It may have lost a bit of its luster as time passed, but it's still OU and still sees decent enough usage, so people do appreciate it.

And Dark types being overlooked? Way off. Tyranitar, Sableye, Bisharp, Greninja, Hydreigon, Scrafty, Krookodile, Zoroark... all popular (to varying degrees), all dark types.

Cacturne, though, would be an unloved dark type. Being slow and frail does it no favors, and its scarecrow-cactus design has never been particularly well received.

Barbaracle is a favorite of mine. I love the fact that it has 4x resistance to Fire types, and resistant to flying types moves as well... making it a close to a perfect counter as it gets to annoying talonflame.

It's not the 4x weakness to grass that bothers me, because as some of you have pointed out, you wouldn't stay into that, and its never stopped pokemon like swampert, seismitoad and quaqsire from being effective... what makes me a little sad if that he weak to a lot of COMMON stuff, like ground & fighting. I always find it weird that it's weak to electric as well.. you swear the anime does a good job at convincing you that rock is resistant to it. But hey, I'll still try and surprise some people with it.

zapto369

Because I'm Worth It
There's been mention of Castform, but Kecleon was always my favorite "gimmicky" normal type in Gen III. Granted, Protean has helped it out a bunch, I'm sure, but before that, it was rather overlooked in terms of usage. Masquerian and Crawdaunt I always forget about and didn't even know about during my first RS playthroughs. I'm not sure how popular they are competitively, but for the most part, I think they're both pretty overlooked and have cool designs.

Belgrim

Beartic is bae.

Uh, I recently saw a Maractus and realized how adorable the thing is.

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
There's been mention of Castform, but Kecleon was always my favorite "gimmicky" normal type in Gen III. Granted, Protean has helped it out a bunch, I'm sure, but before that, it was rather overlooked in terms of usage. Masquerian and Crawdaunt I always forget about and didn't even know about during my first RS playthroughs. I'm not sure how popular they are competitively, but for the most part, I think they're both pretty overlooked and have cool designs.

Masquerain yes...

Crawdaunt....no, you see them about every 5 battles

GooberTheAlmightyMudkip

I herd u liek me?
Probably been said several times in this thread, but Finneon. I saw it one time, and to be honest, I didn't even realize it was a pokemon. And I pride myself on knowing all the pokemon. Surprisingly, there are alot of people I know that play pokemon avidly and don't know all of them. Anyways, back to finneon. I checked its stats and movepool, 'cuz I thought it might actually be good. It sucks. But it is pretty.

PokemonMegaBeast

Im Still Here!
Drifblim and Drifloon. I just love these pokes so much. I know they are not exactly the best in terms of competitive use but I still love them. The idea and design of them I love and also their shiny form really catches your eye. Their pokedex entries are creepy though. This is Drifloon's from HG/SS: "It is whispered that any child who mistakes DRIFLOON for a balloon and holds on to it could wind up missing".

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Probably been said several times in this thread, but Finneon. I saw it one time, and to be honest, I didn't even realize it was a pokemon. And I pride myself on knowing all the pokemon. Surprisingly, there are alot of people I know that play pokemon avidly and don't know all of them. Anyways, back to finneon. I checked its stats and movepool, 'cuz I thought it might actually be good. It sucks. But it is pretty.

Finneon actually has a small niche jn having access to a variety of Flying and Bug Type Moves other Waters lack.

Lumineon is still outright horrible, but it at least has something going for it.

I adore it, though.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan

Yeah, I barely see anyone use it, and for good reasons too.

The other problem is it doesn't even look good design-wise, it looks like a bland fish who you could easily find in the real world.

It's one of my favorites as well, but I hate Pikachu with a passion.

Raichu on the other hand is very darn awesome.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.