• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unnecessary Evolutions

AzukanAsimbu

Petal Paladin
Volcarona's pre-evolution shouldnt exist, it would make Volcarona a legendary.

Cuddlebuns

It does but they shoulda just given Poliwhirl Fighting and have that be the end IMO

Poliwrath has higher stats and a bigger movepool. If they had given those to Poliwhirl then that would be cool, but as it is now Poliwhirl is pretty crappy. Although I wish they had put more into Poliwrath's design than just giving Poliwhirl a little bit of muscle and some angry eyes.

It adds a weakness or two.
Very great.

It gains 2 weaknesses and 3 resistances. Sounds like a fair trade to me.

Last edited:

SergeiDragunov

Crits Everywhere
IMO, Dusclops didn't need an evolution. Rhydon kinda did, because without Solid Rock is sort of falls into obscurity along with Golem, Onix, etc.

Why is everybody saying Dusknoir? The Eviolite didn't exist in Gen 4. Now it's unnecessary, but when it was created it had no drawbacks whatsoever.

Now, a really unnecessary evolution would be Bellossom. I agree with AZX612; something went wrong. It just loses a type and becomes slightly more defensive. The Oddish line wasn't used often enough to warrant a branched evolution.

And I think that's the only one, to be honest. I liked all of the evolutions in Gen4. Whether or not their prevos were good on their own, now they're better, and what's wrong with that? Plus there were a ton of really necessary ones, like Honchkrow and Mismagius.

Cuddlebuns

Why is everybody saying Dusknoir? The Eviolite didn't exist in Gen 4. Now it's unnecessary, but when it was created it had no drawbacks whatsoever.

It has no drawbacks, but no real improvements either, hence it's unnecessary.

AZX612

On my own here we go

Now, a really unnecessary evolution would be Bellossom. I agree with AZX612; something went wrong. It just loses a type and becomes slightly more defensive. The Oddish line wasn't used often enough to warrant a branched evolution.

And I think that's the only one, to be honest. I liked all of the evolutions in Gen4. Whether or not their prevos were good on their own, now they're better, and what's wrong with that? Plus there were a ton of really necessary ones, like Honchkrow and Mismagius.
You know truthfully, I'm pretty sure this is the first time anybody on these forums has ever NOT Disagreed with me XD.

ANd speaking of losing a type, Bellossom is the ONLY pokemon to actually LOSE a type through evolution, making it even more unnecessary...

Two evolutions I also see as pointless (Although I didnt think of them until now) is the middle evolutions of Gothitelle and Reniculous. I think their first forms would be fine evolving directly into Gothitelle and Reniculous... Imo...

Dattebayo

Banned
Rhyperior is already rarely used (it's even outclassed by Rhydon with Eviolite) and Lickylicky is even more of a joke than Lickitung

The guys at Smogon commented that Evolite will not work for Rhydon, and did you even compare Lickilicky's stats to Lickitung's? Just you wait when Cloud Nine Lickilicky becomes legal.

Rey Alejandro

GOKAI CHANGE!
Well, other than the oft-mentioned Dusknoir..... can I talk about prevos? Because I don't think that any baby pokemon was ever necessary. Also, mothim, because that just goes way too far. and it's ANOTHER bug/flying type. and it's ANOTHER moth.

Also, while not technically related by evolution, I think Phione is especially useless. REMOVE ITS LEGENDARY STATUS AND GIVE IT TO ROTOM, DAMN IT!

Zibdas

not bad
The guys at Smogon commented that Evolite will not work for Rhydon, and did you even compare Lickilicky's stats to Lickitung's? Just you wait when Cloud Nine Lickilicky becomes legal.

And yet no one gives a damn about what Smogon says.

Last edited:

Zibdas

not bad
Also, Steelix.