• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unnecessary Evolutions

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Lickilicky also wasn't needed all it did was made Lickitung hated even more.

I always loved lickytung and i like Lickylicky even more!

You know what evolution really is unnecessary?
Hydreigon! Seriously, that was the cutest line ever before GF had to screw up completely the hydra concept by giving it the most horrid heads the world has ever known and wings that look like someone cut them to shreds with a scissor...

Seem

Hollen i ven.

You are. (;

Actually, you are right - looking at the line more clearly, it does start to make more sense. Mareep sheds some of its wool when it evolves into Flaaffy and then loses all of its wool when it becomes Ampharos. Also the blue face of Mareep explains the blue orb on Flaaffy.

Haha glad you realise the more point of it. Also, nice concept though maybe thinking about it too much!

But shiny Mareep are pink, are they not? So Flaaffy isn't really special for being pink. I suppose it doesn't matter much since they it evolves very quickly, but yeah I'm not a fan of Flaaffy. I just want the powerhouse that is ;181;

Mareep's wool colour is pink making it look like candyfloss, but yes haha.

Dattebayo

Banned
Quoting Smogon doesn't make you knowledgeable. It doesn't have the stats to take damage or deal it out reliably, and it has no good recovery either. Plus It was NU in 4th Gen for those reasons and continues to be NU in 5th Gen, despite gaining Cloud Nine. If anything you said was true the Lickilicky would easily be in the top 10 of the usage statistics due to how common weather is, but I doubt it's even in the top 100.

But I thought it was based on usage, not usefulness?

You are failing horribly at that, mainly because you have no knowledge of the battlefield due to your lack of experience. You aren't a good player and you aren't respected as one as far as I know. It's not hard to download Pokemon Online or even watch battlers on Youtube and see how flawed your perception of the game is.

I was only trying hard to be like you guys, even if it means becoming an elitist myself because this is what I thought you guys act like to other non-competitive users.

Cuddlebuns

But I thought it was based on usage, not usefulness?

Tiers are based on both, since things that are used often are obviously useful. Lickilicky isn't and never has been useful or used often.

I was only trying hard to be like you guys, even if it means becoming an elitist myself because this is what I thought you guys act like to other non-competitive users.

1. Don't ever try to be like someone else or what someone else wants you to be, just be yourself.

2. I'm not a Smogon snob even though I'm into competitive battling. I realize that everyone plays the game differently and not everyone cares to play competitively, and there's no reason to bash them just because they don't play the way I do. I personally don't know many competitive players who act like elitists towards non-competitive players, in fact I usually see the opposite occurring on these forums. Regardless, there's no reason for anyone to feel superior to others just because they play a game differently. Now if someone is trying to play a certain way and failing horribly at it (e.g trying to beat Shauntal by spamming Hyper Beam), then that's a good reason to look down on them.

3. There's no reason to want to be "like" a competitive player when you can be one by actually playing instead of just reading Smogon articles (which are all extremely outdated right now). Like I said it's not hard to download Pokemon Online, and there's a large competitive battling community on Youtube who upload tons of videos of battles. That's how I learned about it and it's still how I keep up with what's going on in the metagame, since I take breaks from PO frequently.

Dattebayo

Banned
Tiers are based on both, since things that are used often are obviously useful.

So does that mean we should only use Pokemon from OU, and anyone who uses one from UU/NU is a digrace?

Lickilicky isn't and never has been useful or used often.

Then how are they suppose to improve Lickitung?

All the Generation 1 evolutionary add-ons are very lame and ugly looking. These include magnezone, rhyperior, electivire, lickililly, magmortar and any others that feel forced.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Let's see. Lickilicky, Yanmega, Leafeon, Glaceon, Politoed, Slowking (I'm trying to decide between raising a Slowbro or Slowking and I can't decide because they're both too similar), Porygon2, Probopass, Froslass, pretty much every preevolution, that's all I can think of. Also, here's some food for thought. Were it not for the physical/special split 4th gen, Weavile would be kind of useless as well. Think about it. Sneasel's biggest problem was that it had a horrible Special Attack stat so it really couldn't do much with its Ice moves. Weavile's Special Attack is not much better (a dismal 45). So simply giving Weavile an evolution would not have been enough to make it the beast it is, and in fact, would not have been much of an improvement over Sneasel.

Hydreigon11

Don't Blink
I always loved lickytung and i like Lickylicky even more!

You know what evolution really is unnecessary?
Hydreigon! Seriously, that was the cutest line ever before GF had to screw up completely the hydra concept by giving it the most horrid heads the world has ever known and wings that look like someone cut them to shreds with a scissor...

*Ahem* 'points at name' Hydreigon is the awesomest evolution ever and its wings look like Giratina's. Anyway, an evolution I was disappointed in was Trapinch, it turns from a quadruped to a bipedal dragon, makes no sense whatsoever!

Super Nerd 7997

Crazy Plant Guy
Anyway, an evolution I was disappointed in was Trapinch, it turns from a quadruped to a bipedal dragon, makes no sense whatsoever!
Trapinch is based on an ant lion larva. Ant lions, or doodle bugs as they're sometimes called, dig pits in loose sand or dirt as larva and use that to catch prey. Eventually they grow into dragonfly-like insects, hence the Vibrava and Flygon, who are literal "dragon" flies.

-Raiga-

My only problem with evo's, specifically ones that come in a later generation, are when people say it makes so and so more useful or less useful, as they are different pokemon. Electivire doesn't make electabuzz more useful, its useful.

As far as poliwhirl/wrath go, I never understood why people can't see the difference. Different bulk, different attitude, different mouth shape, different typing, etc. Its enough for me to buy into them as different pokemon at any rate. And I'd complain a about plusle/minun, the nidorans, the gear pokemon, etc. before I'd complain about the poli's.

Also, here's some food for thought. Were it not for the physical/special split 4th gen, Weavile would be kind of useless as well. Think about it. Sneasel's biggest problem was that it had a horrible Special Attack stat so it really couldn't do much with its Ice moves. Weavile's Special Attack is not much better (a dismal 45). So simply giving Weavile an evolution would not have been enough to make it the beast it is, and in fact, would not have been much of an improvement over Sneasel.

Here's some more food for thought, the split does exist.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Oh, geez.
It mightbe your opinion, but people who say 4rt gen add ons are unnecessary just make me facepalm. Guess who were the pokemon mentioned in the "who should get an evo?" threads?
Cool but statisticly useless old gen pokemon (should we mention Piloswine, Lickytung, Rhyhorn, Tangela, Roselia and Magmar?
Gen 4's dex was a huge fan service in that regard. And what we do now? We moan about it. Good job.

metagrody6

COMO UN JEFE
I wish the swirl switch was from Poliwhirl to Poliwrath, it make make them more distinguishable. Then again, Poliwrath's pupils are smaller.

Also, mudkip didn't need an evo. Nuff' said.