1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Unofficial Metroid Thread

Discussion in 'Other Video Game Discussion' started by Kabutopzilla, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

Since the SSB4 thread was closed, I thought what the heck. Got nothing left to do.

This thread may be doomed to death by age because of the low number of Metroid fans in this community, but might as well try.

So, this thread is about the Metroid series. Basically discuss anything about the series, such as favorite installment, character, item, sequence breaking, best times, and all that good stuff.

So I'll start us off with a few topics. You can answer all, some, or none.

What is your favorite Metroid game?

That's a tough one for me. I liked all of them. Though if I had to pick, it would either be Zero Mission (for massive possibilities in sequence breaking), Super (for a lot of things...too many to list), Fusion (for plot), or Prime (see Super).

How many Metroid games do you own?

I own all of them. except Fusion, which I borrowed from a friend. (bought Fusion about a week and a half ago)

What is your favorite track(s)?

SR388 Main Tunnel, Brinstar Construction/Torvus Bog Industrial section, Phendrana Drifts, Sector 4 depths (the music in the area of AQA you enter after Nightmare), and Hive Mecha theme. (first miniboss in Prime that gives you your missiles back)

What are your best times for any game?

Metroid: Under half an hour
    Zero Mission: Fourty-five minutes with 32% item collection
    Prime: Nine hours
    Hunters: About seven hours
    Prime 2: About twenty hours... (first run-through :p)
    Prime 3: About six hours, thanks to Elysia (longest dang planet in the game)
    Metroid II: One hour, thirty minutes
    Super Metroid: One hour, fourty-six minutes
    Fusion: One hour, thirty-eight minutes

Do you ever sequence break?

Yes, I do. Sometimes. Zero Mission has many sequence breaking possibilities, such as that I always get Hi-Jump and Varia Suit directly after Ice Beam, I skip Wave Beam and Screw Attack, and Speed Booster is always my last item besides Power Bombs. In Super Metroid, I always get Spazer and Spring Ball early, and thanks to Zyborggian, I can now easily mockball and get Super Missiles early to skip a boss and save time. I have yet to do so. Fusion has no true sequence breaking besides early Missile Expansions and E-Tanks as well as a few possibilities for early Power Bombs before you're assigned to get them. Haven't done this yet, but I may if I ever pick up Fusion again.

What is your favorite boss?

Super's final boss. No spoilers.

Also: Nightmare (Fusion), Phantoon (Super), Meta Ridley (Prime), and a few others.

So yeah.

If I am somehow or another breaking a rule of some sort, I apologize. (I read the rules, but you can never be too sure)

EDIT: I decided to add boss guides yours truly wrote to help those in need.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2008
  2. Kabuto

Kabuto little punks!

Super Metroid

Every single one except Hunters/Pinball

What are your favorite track(s)?

Brinstar, Green Brinstar, Ridley's Theme, Lower Norfair, SM Opening

I don't generally like speed running, but I have gotten the fastest ending on all games

Not really

(Meta) Ridley

Other mentions: Mother Brain (2), Crocomire, Queen Metroid, Kraid, Quadraxis, Rundas, Dark Samus

What I like about Metroid are the weapons, music, quick responsive controls, designs, lack of linearity and the atmosphere. So yeah, basically everything.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  3. Krake

Krake Flabebe's Kids

Probably Prime 2, Super, and Fusion.

All except Return of Samus and Pinball.

I don't really pay attention to the Music, but I like Ridley's theme, the music that plays when you fight Nightmare, vs. Helios, and the music for Norfair.

I don't really keep track of the times.

No, or at least I don't think I do lol.

Ridley (all of them), Nightmare, Serris, Omega Metroid, Helios, B.O.X Security Robot, Quadraxis, Phantoon, and Yakuza.

4. Auraninja

Auraninja Try to understand.

I will answer a couple of the questions.

I think the Prime games are a little bit better, but the 2-D ones are easier to pick up.

My favorite boss would probably be Netorri (the huge plant in Fusion). It was easy, but fun none the less. I like how the whole room is part of the boss.

5. kasmeargy

kasmeargy Well-Known Member

Now that I think about it, it kind of seems odd there is no big Metroid thread here. I've loved Metroid for a long time, so now onto these topics.

Fusion was my first game, and I've always loved it. It had an interesting story, and held off at a cliffhanger-ish ending, which I liked. Aside from that, I'd have to say Prime 2, which I found much more challenging than Prime. Oh, and Super Metroid is also practically impossible to dislike.

I have Fusion, Zero Mission/Metroid, Super Metroid, Prime, Prime 2, Hunters, Pinball, and Prime 3. I've played every one except for Metroid 2.

Brinstar Green/Hunters Echoes, Big Boss Confrontation 1(Phantoon/Kraid), Chozo Ruins, Dark Federation Trooper, Dark Sanctuary Fortress, Nightmare...this is too hard.

Metroid: N/A
    Zero Mission: 1:39 About 40%, I think.
    Prime: Almost twelve hours.
    Hunters: 10:18
    Prime 2: About nine hours.
    Prime 3: About eight hours
    Metroid II: N/A
    Super Metroid: N/A
    Fusion: Two hours, 39 minutes.

Not really. The closest I've done would be the 15% run of Zero Mission, which I still haven't beaten. I'm on Ridley. Is there just some kind of obvious trick I'm missing?

Nightmare, Crocomire, Kraid(ZM/SM iteration), Omega Pirate, and Flaaghra.

6. Charizard Champion#06

Charizard Champion#06 Spiral Warrior

Prime 1.

7. Have beaten all of them except Metroid II and Pinball. Borrowed Echoes.

Prime 1 Credits, Lower Norfair/Magmoor Caverns, Phendrana Drifts, Prime 2 Theme, Super Metroid Credits, and the incredibly atmospheric track form the opening of Super Metroid.

Don't go for times, I go for completion.
    Have beaten every game other then II and Pinball like I said. Have beaten Metroid III, IV, Prime 1, 2, 3, and Hunters with 100% item pickups.

No.

Super's final boss as well. Any Ridley fight other than Metroid I. Crocomire with the goriest death ever back in the day. Metroid Prime and Dark Samus (Echoes fight).
    And of course many honours should go to the genius that is the Spider Ball Guardian.

7. Cobalt_Latios

Cobalt_Latios Well-Known Member

Oh, what a dandy little thread this is! I think I'll enjoy this. I used to be part of a Metroid forum a couple of years ago... but the strict rules may have caused an early retirement. Just as well, I like it here better. And now my luck turns here. Nice. Let me see...

Oh god... what a tough one. Well, this one swings different ways because I like a certain one based upon different aspects. Zero Mission was the easiest to sequence break, while Metroid Prime offered me one heck of an experience, and Metroid Prime 3: Corruption gave me some superb controls. Metroid Fusion gave me a nice ride too, while at the same time giving me a nice difficulty curve. And the recent (oh the irony) Super Metroid on VC has allowed me to experience this gem, which I quite enjoy.

Hmm... after all that, the winner has to be a cross between Prime 3 and Super.

Metroid Prime, Metroid Prime 2: Echoes, Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Metroid (VC). I used to have Metroid: Zero Mission, and Metroid Fusion, but I believe I lost both of them... no, I think Zero Mission might still be somewhere, but I undoubtedly lost Fusion. edit: crap, how did I forget about Hunters? Must of not liked it very much then.

Oh, you're just toying with me now. God, I have way too many faves... alas, I'll try:
    - Kraid theme (Zero Mission's remix is the best)
    - Ridley boss them (all except Omega Ridley in Prime 3... not sure why)
    - Quadraxis Battle Theme
    - Phendrana drifts (when you first get there)
    - Magmoor Caverns
    - Metroid Prime main menu (yeah, it's a nice remix)
    - Rundas Battle theme
    - Gandrayda Battle theme
    - Metroid Prime 3 End Credits
    - Elysia (I sware, that music sounds more like something you'd hear in an RPG of sorts)
    - Nightmare Battle Theme (you knew this was coming)

Not a lot of memorable tracks from Super Metroid though...

Oy, never really been one of my strengths, though I did cheat to get the good ending in Fusion. I think I did a decent one in Zero Mission also.

I've tried. The Space Jump boots early in Prime 1 was murder on me. Stupid Player's Choice version; they removed the scan dash jump, so I was forced to use the lock on dash jump. Oh god, that was hard. I've only done it once...

Gotten the Super Missile in Zero Mission early, almost succeeded with the Varia Suit early. Done a couple in Super Metroid I think.

Ridley (Zero Mission/Prime), Nightmare (he really is), Rundas, Thardus, Quadraxis, Dark Samus, Draygoon (gotta love the grapple technique).

I found many of the bosses in Prime 3 to be really annoying as opposed to fun. Or maybe that was just me getting to be familiar with the controls...

As you can see, I've rather enjoyed the Metroid series. I have indeed played the original one for NES via Zero Mission, but found that the Password system makes it a bit too easy to cheat (JUSTIN BAILEY, NARPAS SWORD to name a couple). I thought the Prime series was great, and thought that Retro Studies did an amazing job with 'em. I'll also give 'em props for the music in Prime 3. Good lord, there are some nice tracks there.

I'll say this much, I found Fusion to be a much different experience than the other few, mostly because it felt a bit... linear. Something that one wouldn't really associate with the Metroid franchise.

By the way, thanks Kabutopzilla for the thread. I think I'll be posting a bit here.

~C_L~

8. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom @JohanSSB4 Twitter

Why do I get the feeling that this thread was created partially due to our chat we had a few hours ago, Kabutopzilla? Anyways, like I mentioned in our chat, I have never played a single Metroid game before, though I have been wanting to get a game for some time. What does everyone here recommend me to rent or buy, so that I get the full eperience on what a Metroid game truly is?

9. Cobalt_Latios

If you own a DS (well, you do, you've played Sonic Rush), then I would buy Metroid Zero Mission... if you can find one, at a local EB or GameStop. That, or buy yourself a Wii Points card and get Super Metroid. Those two games are full of what makes a Metroid game... well a Metroid game. And... if you want some tips/tricks, and what not: your one stop trick shop.

Also, Prime 1 - 3 are decent Metroid gams, but unless you somehow manage to acquire a "non" players choice version, you might not get the full experience. The players choice of Metroid Prime has multiple tricks removed. However, definitely consider Metroid Prime 3; not only does it have one of the best FPS controls around, but the game itself is incredible.

~C_L~

10. BUG

BUG insert joke so dated I don't even remember it

Got Prime when I was 11, played at 9 o'clock, and got the crap scared outa me when you walk into that room with the dead things in them. That's all I've ever played of a Metroid game. XD

11. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

Zero Mission and Super.

ZM will be easier to get your hands on likely, because you can always get a used one from GameStop/EB Games. It's a remake of the original Metroid.

If you complete the game fully, any percentage with any time clocked in, you unlock the original Metroid (full game) after the credits roll.

You said you have a working SNES, maybe you can order a copy of Super off eBay since you said your Wii can't connect to the Internet.

After those two, I'd do Fusion and Metroid II. Metroid II is more set on exploration, and its ending leads to the beginning of Super. Fusion is a sequel to Super and its main point is the decent plot that comes with it, with the cost of little to no exploration possibilities.

Then, the Prime games offer a newer feel to the Metroid series, however the first one is very, very similar to other Metroid games in terms of environmental elements, beams, other items, etc. Prime 2 strays far off from the Metroid feel and is much more like Halo, IMO. Prime 3 is kinda weird here. Some parts are like Star Wars, and others are like Metroid games.

And unless you want some hardcore hackers sniping your head off in Wi-Fi, and/or a decent story killed by dull repetition, avoid Prime Hunters. Pinball is a nice spin-off though, if you enjoy those sort of games.

EDIT:

Ridley the fight, or Ridley the area?

In a 15% run, if you fight Ridley first, you should have no issue without the Varia Suit except for one room full of Desgeegas. Aside from that, you don't really need Varia.

For the fight, shoot Ridley's fireballs until he hops into the air. As soon as he does, stay directly under his feet. At all times, even when he moves. Shoot him from there. When you do this, whenever he swoops down, he will always stop at your head, then fly back up without touching you. With this technique, you only have to worry about his tail.

If you fight Ridley first, you can complete the game much faster than usual and clock a better time, because you can then skip Screw Attack and Wave Beam as well as kill Acid Worm and Kraid within seconds since you should have Super Missiles.

12. EmberStar the Blaziken

EmberStar the Blaziken Kung-Pow Chicken

The Prime Series. They can speak for themselves.

Fusion, Prime 3, Hunters, Hunters: First Hunt, and Return of Samus.

The Metroid Prime theme and the boss theme.

I take my time.

I sequenced broke in Prime 1 and got the Ice Beam before the Varia Suit. Made the boss that guarded the Varia suit much easier.

The ones that die quickly.

13. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

Mind me asking how? I've heard of early Plasma, but never early Ice.

I take it you despise the Chykka and Boost Guardian? :B

14. Cobalt_Latios

I've pulled it off. But you need to have acquired Space Jump first (right when landing on Tallon IV), and the Morph Ball Bombs. Afterwards, you head to that one place in Chozo Ruins with the Spider Ball track and you keep going forward into it. There's this glitch that will apparently push you upwards. Space Jump, morph to ball, then proceed to the other side and head towards the room with the Ice Beam.

However, because I'm known to "trip on my words", a video demonstration usually works better:

skipping spider ball < this is what I was explaining about previously.

after furnace, without spider ball < to be honest, you'd think this seems highly improbable (due to where you actually have to land when jumping), but I have actually done it before.

da ghetto jump to bypass boost ball < I wound up waiting till after I got the boost ball because of how difficult this wound up being...

Note, there's a ton of tricks on that site that show how "exploitable" these games have become.

And with this, I have a new topic: favorite moment from any Metroid game.

Mine would have to near the end of Zero Mission when you get the fully powered Suit.

And I suppose I could add: favorite ability and/or weapon from any Metroid game.

I'd go with the Space Jump and the Plasma beam (from Metroid Fusion).

~C_L~

15. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

Yeah, it's because of that site that I started sequence breaking. I'm a member there. :p

Super Metroid, after Mother Brain. Very disturbing and unexpected.

Metroid Fusion, ending. I became filled with joy when I saw the little guys...

Plasma Beam from Prime. I lurves melting enemies, especially Baby Sheegoths.

The fully powered suit also makes me feel...ultimate. :p

16. kasmeargy

The Plasma Beam always makes everything better.

favorite moment from any Metroid game.
    The Ghost Ship coming back to life after killing Phantoon. Or another one would be the
    Metroid Quarantine in Fusion
    and the accomplishment of killing the Emperor Ing with the Sonic Boom.
    Why must you make me choose one?

favorite ability and/or weapon from any Metroid game.
    I'd go for Wave Beam as my favorite beam. With the Spider Ball as my favorite other power up. When I got it in the first Prime, it felt both weird and fitting at the same time.

17. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

Strike my reply to my favorite weapon or ability and add Diffusion Missiles. It would be awesome to imagine them without the Ice upgrade. :B

Also, I have a theory for the origins of the Metroid Prime...

http://i34.*******.com/2m4olyo.png

Do you NOT see the resemblance? :p

18. EmberStar the Blaziken

EmberStar the Blaziken Kung-Pow Chicken

I never would have thought of that. A good theory. But, what about the tentacly inside?

19. Kabutopzilla

Kabutopzilla En Prócsem

The Phazon must have enhanced the Metroid's meatbally core and created a thick and defensive membrane. Maybe. :p

20. kasmeargy

Wouldn't the phazon have just mutated the outer membrane, considering Prime still has a meatball core?

Looking at the art of the Alpha and Gamma Metroids, it looks to me like Prime could possibly be the mutation of a Metroid in between the two phases. The core is taken from the Alpha phase, and the shell from Gamma.

And why is there no Beta Metroid?

Figures, the one area I don't attempt to use is under his feet. So wait, did you recommend getting the Varia or not? I can't really understand from your wording.

I fought Kraid first. Does getting the Super Missiles early really make the game that much easier, or is it only recommended for time purposes?

But the Kraid battle and Magmoor both originated in Super Metroid. Oh, and what exactly is the Prime Menu a remix of? I've always liked it, but I never thought of it as a remix. Then again, I'm bad at noticing remixes. Such as Brinstar Green in Echoes and the Kraid song in Zero Mission.