• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unova had the best rivalries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokegirl0102

Does anyone else agree that Unova had the best rivals for not only Ash, but Cilan and Iris as well. I liked Trip, Stephan, Bianca, Burgundy, and Georgia they all had unique characters and had their own way of doing things which i liked. I only watch the dub so i hope they appear in future episodes.

Honeyichigo

The manliest
Well of course Unova had the best rivals for Cilan and Iris- this is the only region they've been in. :p

But yeah, despite all the flack Trip gets for being too much like Paul, not enough like Paul, too strong compared to Ash, too weak compared to Ash, etc, I liked his character and story arc. Stephan and Bianca were fun characters as well. We've certainly had an interesting set of rivals this season.

Outburstz

False that title belongs to Sinnoh

Paul, Barry, and Conway

The only rival that I sort of like in this region I Georgia

Pokegirl0102

Well of course Unova had the best rivals for Cilan and Iris- this is the only region they've been in. :p

But yeah, despite all the flack Trip gets for being too much like Paul, not enough like Paul, too strong compared to Ash, too weak compared to Ash, etc, I liked his character and story arc. Stephan and Bianca were fun characters as well. We've certainly had an interesting set of rivals this season.

Well i was refering to the supporting characters in general not just Cilan and Iris lol, yeah when Trip first appeared i got some Paul vibes as the series went on he developed his own quirks

Hikatoshi26

Unova rivals were horrible. Sinnoh far and away has the best rivalries. Paul and Zoey pushed Ash and Dawn to the absolute brink of their ability and know how. Jun and Conway forced Ash to stay himself and Ursurla made Dawn go the absolute limit of her skill in order to scrape by. Georgia was the only respectable Unova rival. Trip was a prodigy who overpowered a Serperior but lost when he used another pokemon.

Pokegirl0102

Unova rivals were horrible. Sinnoh far and away has the best rivalries. Paul and Zoey pushed Ash and Dawn to the absolute brink of their ability and know how. Jun and Conway forced Ash to stay himself and Ursurla made Dawn go the absolute limit of her skill in order to scrape by. Georgia was the only respectable Unova rival. Trip was a prodigy who overpowered a Serperior but lost when he used another pokemon.

I didnt like Zoe she was so OP(overpowered) compared to Dawn, everything single time they battled Zoey would always come out on top, your at least supposed to beat your rivals at least once to consider it a rivarly

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The Unova rivals are the worst imo.
Trip and his rivalry with Ash was horribly written and their rivalry felt pointless. It didn't even feel like a rivalry imo.
Bianca was okay, but she felt screwed over by the bad writing BW has. She lost early on in the league and it felt like the little development she had went down the drain.
Stephan seemed like a decent rival too me, but also felt kinda bland.
Georgia is also okay, but again it feels like the writing in this series has screwed her over.
Burgundy is the worst and most pointless rival ever in the show. She's never made it past the 1st round in a tournament, never has beaten Cilan, and it feels like she just has a grudge against Cilan instead of it being a rivalry.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I disagree completely. I thought the rivals and the actual rivalries themselves were forced and just plain bad. I mean Trip was designed to be the next Paul, but the writers sort of gave up on him and he became incredibly bland imo. His interactions with Ash were interesting at first, but I quickly lost interest in their "rivalry." Stephan was pretty much a random character who showed up in one episode, and for what ever reason, was upgraded to a rival at the first Unova tournament. I might have liked him if he had a dynamic personality, but all he had was that "my name is Stephan!" gag that got old fast. Georgia had potential, but she quickly became really predictable and to this day I still don't know why she dislikes Iris to begin with or why she obsesses over her. Imo, the only good Unova rival was Burgundy. I thought she was dynamic and sometimes just plain crazy like my good sis Harley, but I liked her because I could relate to her and oh, she actually had a back story. She wasn't a powerful rival, but she had enough personality to make up for that.

diakyu

I liked them better than Paul. I find mean and serious characters very bland. But I still think Gary was the best.

Pokegirl0102

I liked them better than Paul. I find mean and serious characters very bland. But I still think Gary was the best.

Yes Gary was the best since he was the original Rival , i knew after while he would want to be like his Grandpa and be a Professor

Hikatoshi26

Yes Gary was the best since he was the original Rival , i knew after while he would want to be like his Grandpa and be a Professor

Gary is the rival Ash will never be able to surpass however. It's like how Kaiba will never surpass Yugi lol. Gary is a great rival but since he is a Prof. wont be much more development just friendship.

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
I disagree. They all have great potential, but screwed up by bad writing.

Trip: A not so successful Paul clone. His team is messed up. His conkelderp never wins. He only has his hax serperior. His rivalry with Ash is pointless, considering how he got written off immediately.
Bianca: Good potential, but her little development went to waste when Bianca gets beaten by a guy with an IQ of a rock. She only had like, one or two, battles with Ash. Horribly screwed over.
Stephan: The best rival of BW. He's strong, but sort of bland.
Georgia: She could've used more development and appearances, but comes close as BW's best rival.
Burgundy: Completely made by a joke by the witers. Lose in first round of every battle she appears in.

My ranking list
Stephan > Georgia > Bianca >>> Burgundy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Trip

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I don't think they're the best, but certainly not the worst.

Pokegirl0102

Gary is the rival Ash will never be able to surpass however. It's like how Kaiba will never surpass Yugi lol. Gary is a great rival but since he is a Prof. wont be much more development just friendship.

Yeah Gary was always two steps ahead of Ash since the very beginning, even though Ash beat him in the Silver Conference, Gary to me is still the superior trainer overall

Dragalge

"Orange" Magical Girl
Surprised no one brought up Cameron/Virgil, if they count. Virgil was pointless personally as he was only showned to advertise the Eeveelutions while Cameron was a bit OK but his Lucario when he was a Riolu jumped to number four of my least favorite Pokemon but that doesn't mean I hate him. Plus his battle with Ash was a bit rushed.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
False that title belongs to Sinnoh

Paul, Barry, and Conway

The only rival that I sort of like in this region I Georgia

YEP! This :)

RVD_fan

I liked most of the Unova rivals taken on their own, but they never really made a complete package the way they did in Sinnoh. I think Ash's Unova rivals were all too similar. Bianca and Cameron were basically the same, inexperienced, scatterbrained trainers who rush into things and don't think things through. Stephan showed himself to be a little more composed, but was also inexperienced and battled very straightforward. It's basically three Barrys minus the interesting dynamic with him emulating Paul. Virgil was pretty much just there to tie things up in the Unova league. Trip had an interesting story but the big problem with it was it had nothing to do with Ash, it was really wrapped up in the battle between him and Alder. So these rivalries really lacked any intensity because there weren't really any conflicting personalities. It was an, 'oh well, I lost, but I won't lose next time!' type deal.

The Diamond and Pearl rivals tested Ash a lot more than any others really did. Paul obviously was an awesome battler who really punished Ash early on for his loose battle style, forcing him to tighten up and battle more conservatively. Barry was interesting because on paper him and Ash are somewhat similar, but in reality Barry's desire to find stronger and stronger Pokemon clashed with Ash's idea that any Pokemon can be strong. The two were on good terms with one another but still had something to prove. Conway was a pure theorist who came up with brilliant strategies but couldn't adjust went things didn't go his way. Again, despite his creepiness Conway was still a pretty nice guy, but he had a different way of looking at Pokemon that clashed with Ash's ideas. This made the battles between them all the more interesting and intense.

diakyu

Surprised no one brought up Cameron/Virgil, if they count.
I don't know what would possess someone to count Virgil as a rival.

Status
Not open for further replies.