• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unova Region Discussion/Speculation Thread [Read First Post]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Yes, or maybe having slightly different route layouts or maybe even changing how the entire region is explored alltogether.

Having different route layouts (like Route 4 in BW2, for example) would work. Changing how the entire region is explored, though, would be a tad too much, in my opinion.

(3000th post!)

Poetry

Dancing Mad
Having different route layouts (like Route 4 in BW2, for example) would work. Changing how the entire region is explored, though, would be a tad too much, in my opinion.

(3000th post!)

Hmm... perhaps but I think I just really want something concrete to differentiate between the two games, so when I choose which one to get it isn't just a matter of "which version has Vulpix", etc.

GildedScizor

The drinking bird
Hmm... perhaps but I think I just really want something concrete to differentiate between the two games, so when I choose which one to get it isn't just a matter of "which version has Vulpix", etc.

Tell me about it. I never bought the original B/W so I'm missing a bit of the storyline and various other things. The main reasons I bought W2 is because of the PWT and although I didn't like most of the other pokemon, Braviary was the standout of the 5th gen for me. Although it means I miss out on Zekrom and Latios which I prefer over their counterparts, Braviary was worth it.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder

(3000th post!)

I can see them doing version exclusive storyline paths (although it would probably amount to something like "go either left or right at this fork in the path" or something like that), but the region would probably have to be designed around that decision. They can almost get away with it in Unova due to its symmetrical design, but it doesn't quite work out because of how certain areas important to the storyline are placed.

Tell me about it. I never bought the original B/W so I'm missing a bit of the storyline and various other things. The main reasons I bought W2 is because of the PWT and although I didn't like most of the other pokemon, Braviary was the standout of the 5th gen for me. Although it means I miss out on Zekrom and Latios which I prefer over their counterparts, Braviary was worth it.

Bad move there. You can trade for Braviary much easier since it can be bred, but Zekrom and Latios cannot, and you'll have a harder time getting those two.

I can see them doing version exclusive storyline paths (although it would probably amount to something like "go either left or right at this fork in the path" or something like that), but the region would probably have to be designed around that decision. They can almost get away with it in Unova due to its symmetrical design, but it doesn't quite work out because of how certain areas important to the storyline are placed.

If this were the case, then I'm sticking w/ my original idea where one version begins in Aspertia and the other in Nuvema or they give you a choice and depending on your choice is the path you take.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
If this were the case, then I'm sticking w/ my original idea where one version begins in Aspertia and the other in Nuvema or they give you a choice and depending on your choice is the path you take.

Again, that wouldn't be such a good idea in this game, but I can see it happening in future games.

Again, that wouldn't be such a good idea in this game, but I can see it happening in future games.

Well the fact they stem into ea. other makes it a somewhat realistic approach. I feel that the 2 starting areas are linear enough to each other that they could have the same events happen but in their respective areas.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Well the fact they stem into ea. other makes it a somewhat realistic approach. I feel that the 2 starting areas are linear enough to each other that they could have the same events happen but in their respective areas.

It'd be too imbalanced. First of all, there's more areas in Southeast Unova than Southwest Unova, Southwest Unova only has 3 cities, 2 routes, 1 tiny forest area (if you can even count Pledge Grove as a forest), 1 small cave with no Pokemon, 1 ranch area, and 1 factory area, while Southeast Unova has 4 cities, 3 routes, 1 cave, 1 large forest area, and 1 abandoned field. They don't match up, Southeast Unova is bigger and more diverse, so it wouldn't be fair to whoever starts in Southwest Unova in that respect. Plus, the gyms are different, they have different themes, different Pokemon, and they would have different difficulties as a result. There's some parallels, sure, but it doesn't quite match up. This is why regions would have to be designed around this decision, version exclusive sections would have to be carefully constructed to ensure that they are fair and balanced and that one version isn't missing out on something important.

Last edited:
This is why regions would have to be designed around this decision, version exclusive sections would have to be carefully constructed to ensure that they are fair and balanced and that one version isn't missing out on something important.

Ya I can agree w/ that.

The only compensation factor I see then would be the PKMN distribution. Southwest has a far better selection imo.

On a side note:
I wish they would have added Eindoak Town into the games.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Ya I can agree w/ that.

The only compensation factor I see then would be the PKMN distribution. Southwest has a far better selection imo.

Not really, the Pokemon distribution is important as well. It's not really fair to one game if you can get a certain Pokemon much earlier in the game, especially if it's a useful one.

I wish they would have added Eindoak Town into the games.

I can kind of see Opelucid City filling that role.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

I'd definitely agree with the fact that different region paths based on version would have to be the primary design factor when designing that region.

In fact, I don't think it'd work, either. Even if one assumes for a second that the left part of the hexagon and the right part of the hexagon have the same things, they wouldn't be encountered at the same time, which would make one version inherently at a disadvantage compared to the other version. For example, if the right half's Chargestone Cave were put between Undella and Lacunosa, it wouldn't really work, because by the time you're at Undella Town in one game, you wouldn't have encountered the Electric-type Pokémon that you would've otherwise encountered.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
In fact, I don't think it'd work, either. Even if one assumes for a second that the left part of the hexagon and the right part of the hexagon have the same things, they wouldn't be encountered at the same time, which would make one version inherently at a disadvantage compared to the other version. For example, if the right half's Chargestone Cave were put between Undella and Lacunosa, it wouldn't really work, because by the time you're at Undella Town in one game, you wouldn't have encountered the Electric-type Pokémon that you would've otherwise encountered.

They could probably get away with it, they just need to take into account when you need each Pokemon and adjust the design and distribution accordingly. For instance, let's say you go through the left half of the hexagon earlier in Black 2, and as a result you fight Skyla earlier as well. Since Chargestone Cave has plenty of Pokemon that you can use against Skyla, it's right where it needs to be. Sure, Black 2 gets many of those Pokemon earlier, but it also needs many of those Pokemon earlier, and as long as the Pokemon in it are available at a reasonable point in the game. The problem with changing the storyline path is that the Pokemon placement is designed with the original path in mind, the Pokemon distribution has to be altered to accommodate the new path and make sure the locations are still reasonable, and that you have enough options to suit the storyline's need (particular in regards to upcoming gym leader battles). And with version exclusive paths, you need to make sure the distribution is reasonable for both paths. This would require careful design and planning, we've already seen what can go wrong if they mess it up.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
They could probably get away with it, they just need to take into account when you need each Pokemon and adjust the design and distribution accordingly. For instance, let's say you go through the left half of the hexagon earlier in Black 2, and as a result you fight Skyla earlier as well. Since Chargestone Cave has plenty of Pokemon that you can use against Skyla, it's right where it needs to be. Sure, Black 2 gets many of those Pokemon earlier, but it also needs many of those Pokemon earlier, and as long as the Pokemon in it are available at a reasonable point in the game. The problem with changing the storyline path is that the Pokemon placement is designed with the original path in mind, the Pokemon distribution has to be altered to accommodate the new path and make sure the locations are still reasonable, and that you have enough options to suit the storyline's need (particular in regards to upcoming gym leader battles). And with version exclusive paths, you need to make sure the distribution is reasonable for both paths. This would require careful design and planning, we've already seen what can go wrong if they mess it up.

I definitely see where you're coming from with that. I'm just worried that the experience yield of the Pokémon on one side makes one version have an advantage over the other version.

But then again, if this were put in a future game, maybe the Pokémon would have the same experience yield to account for this fork-in-the-road style of gameplay.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I definitely see where you're coming from with that. I'm just worried that the experience yield of the Pokémon on one side makes one version have an advantage over the other version.

But then again, if this were put in a future game, maybe the Pokémon would have the same experience yield to account for this fork-in-the-road style of gameplay.

Experience yield shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner
Experience yield shouldn't be too much of an issue anyway.

I just fear that if the experience yield favored one version more than the next that either one version would have a significantly easier time beating gym leaders, or that the gym leaders' levels wouldn't be symmetrical between the two games. :/

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
I just fear that if the experience yield favored one version more than the next that either one version would have a significantly easier time beating gym leaders, or that the gym leaders' levels wouldn't be symmetrical between the two games. :/

That won't be an issue. They don't have to have symmetrical levels between versions, just whatever would be reasonable for that point in the game.

That won't be an issue. They don't have to have symmetrical levels between versions, just whatever would be reasonable for that point in the game.

Could you please create an example of your region design. Start/Middle/End (any details that prove vital)?

I think if we have a visual of some sort, we can discuss the holes more clearly

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

It's not really a vital issue that would make the idea not work and fall apart, but personally I just like to retain level symmetry. :)

Foyboy

I haven't found a topic for Unova Link or the key system. But lets say my friend completed Black 2 and I just started White 2. I want the challenge key so he sends it. Now I have the challenge key and I haven't defeated the elite four, can I send the challenge key to someone else?

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
I haven't found a topic for Unova Link or the key system. But lets say my friend completed Black 2 and I just started White 2. I want the challenge key so he sends it. Now I have the challenge key and I haven't defeated the elite four, can I send the challenge key to someone else?

Unfortunately no, pretty much all your friend did was unlock the lock on your game, not give you the Key.

Status
Not open for further replies.