• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Gaming Opinions

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Games like Dark Soul are not really enjoyable but just there to flex.
Nothing about having fun but so you can brag about clearing boss x or so with only weapon y and so on.
I'm not a big dark souls guy, but some people just like challenging games.
It's not everyone's cup of tea, granted, but some people do actually enjoy it.

Certain video game characters do not deserve to be in Smash. EVER.
I agree. Crash should never be in Smash Bros.

The_Orb

Games like Dark Soul are not really enjoyable but just there to flex.
Nothing about having fun but so you can brag about clearing boss x or so with only weapon y and so on.
As a big Souls fan this seems to be a common conception of the games- and I understand why. There is definitely a very vocal minority who plays the games solely for the bragging rights and "git gud" mentality.

How I see it though is that the games simply exist for the enjoyment of overcoming a challenge. The games' director put it very well: "I just want as many players as possible to experience the joy that comes from overcoming hardship."

Bownzinho

I have to agree with the person who mentioned Skyrim. I tried to cope with it and it’s not a good game. It’s got extremely clunky battle mechanics and a dull overworld.

I’d like to list Ocarina of Time. I gave it more than enough chances and I’ll never get why I spent so much time getting to the end of it.

MultiVersus is Smash Brothers without any theming in the characters. This is NOT a good thing as Smash Brothers was never any good to begin with.

The Witch Queen story for Destiny 2 completely destroyed all the build for Savathûn and completely ignored the Dreaming City which was a huge turning point in the direction of the story. Also the Witness looks stupid

I promise I’m not always this miserable lol.

Edit - People hate Live Service games. I get that but since 2000 they have been demanding that sports games get annual updates instead of annual releases. This is the EXACT same thing.

Last edited:

vondecayle

Mario Kart Wii had the last good unlocking system that actually makes you want to do all cups/all difficulties.
The new Mario Karts focus way too much on coin collecting.
Completely agree with this! You could even unlock some characters by playing the time trials. Now that they are no longer required to unlock characters I no longer bother with it at all. I wasn’t a big fan of mario kart DS, but one thing they did right was the concept of missions. Wish they would bring that back as well as a potential story mode like Crash Team Racing/Nitro Kart does in their games. Mario kart is amazing, but there are a few things that could only make it better! It would also be nice to be able to create your own track and make the roster as diverse as Mario Kart Tour.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Animal Crossing looks boring, and not worth my time.

Mario isn't my cup of tea, and I don't understand the franchises overall popularity. I played the 64 version and that was enough. Really don't see the hype.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
I actually unironically prefer the loot box system in Overwatch over the so called “battle pass”.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Animal Crossing looks boring, and not worth my time.

Mario isn't my cup of tea, and I don't understand the franchises overall popularity. I played the 64 version and that was enough. Really don't see the hype.
Oh don't worry about that. Animal Crossing looks boring to anyone who's never played it and I'm sure it genuinely is boring to some people.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mario is popular because it's basically THE platformer. And because there's far more to it than just the platforming games even if those are technically the main series. He's also Nintendo's mascot, so he gets used in promotions whether or not he's actually relevant to them just so you know it's a Nintendo thing.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Yeah, Animal Crossing looks boring to me too and I'm not interested in trying it. Just looks like mundane chores, which is one of the things I'm trying to get away from by playing video games. I would, however, be interested in a spinoff (Tom Nook seems like he would fit this concept quite well) that goes more towards the tycoon/business management sim direction and tries to make something a little more exotic (like amusement parks, cities, etc.).

vondecayle

Mario Kart Wii had the last good unlocking system that actually makes you want to do all cups/all difficulties.
The new Mario Karts focus way too much on coin collecting.
Completely agree! I thought I was the only one who thought of this.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Here's another one. GBA soundtrack > SNES soundtrack for Donkey Kong Country 3. The SNES soundtrack generally sounds really dark and the story and level theming doesn't really warrant a darker tone (now some of the color palettes in the SNES version also seem to match the darker soundtrack, but that doesn't really feel like it should be that dark either). The GBA soundtrack adopts appropriate tones at appropriate times, it's cheery and upbeat during the moments when it should be cheery and upbeat, it's moody and atmospheric during the moments when it should be moody and atmospheric, and it's dark and gritty during the moments when it should be dark and gritty.

Xuxuba

Since the opinions are mostly polarizing, i'll take the middle ground as the unpopular opinion and say Animal Crossing is both dull and enjoyable, but after years with the series Nintendo still hasn't realized what makes the series enjoyable, instead opting for turning it solely into a decorating sim full of grind where the actual animals take the backseat and where there are not enough story elements and exciting gameplay to keep you invested for as long as intended without it becoming a mechanical obsessive thing that you feel forced to continue.

A game with an actual story with good dialogue/soundtrack, with minigames and other fun ways to obtain items with your friends, where each and every special character plays an important part and has a proper backstory, where tools don't break and golden tools are actually worth something, where the unlocking of features/shops are properly spread out throughout the days, where exploring islands is not just for grind or finding villagers and where there were more accessible way of decorating/terraforming... Now that'd be an interesting game.

Last edited:

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I've always found demon/vampire hunters factions a bit stupid in video games and media in general.

Usually it's some kind of hatred for night creatures that fuels their motivations, like Isran in Skyrim and the Demon Hunters in Diablo III.

I would never want hatred in my heart, even if it meant I revel in wickedness like a bloodthirsty vampire.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
A large part of the reason why the Wii U failed is because it lacked ambitious explorable single player adventure games. Having Super Mario 3D World instead of a more sandbox feeling 3D Mario game like 64 and Sunshine, BotW being delayed into being a cross gen title, Pokemon remaining handheld exclusive, and Metroid skipping the console entirely turned people off to the console, and very few of that audience cared about Xenoblade or WW/TP HD. Without those kinds of experiences prominently displayed and with them focusing more on casual titles such as multiplayer party games and linear platformers, there was probably a sentiment that Nintendo was a "kiddie" console that couldn't/didn't want to run the big beefy exploration games and so they skipped the Wii U. They then came back to the Switch when it came out of the gate with BotW and Mario Odyssey which immediately rectified that lineup hole.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
As a big Souls fan this seems to be a common conception of the games- and I understand why. There is definitely a very vocal minority who plays the games solely for the bragging rights and "git gud" mentality.

How I see it though is that the games simply exist for the enjoyment of overcoming a challenge. The games' director put it very well: "I just want as many players as possible to experience the joy that comes from overcoming hardship."
I would agree with you, except "git gud" is literally the official catchphrase of the fandom. That phrase would not exist if it wasn't for the Soulsborne fandom. That's the reason saying the games are there to flex isn't necessarily inaccurate. It's just that 'flex' isn't the word I would use.

And the problem with the director's logic is that if you "want as many players as possible to experience" anything, you need to at least make it accessible enough for that to happen (Elden Ring comes close, but only because you can exploit that game to no end). Alot of gamers (probably around half of all gamers, based on what I've seen) simply do not have the reflexes necessary to play those kinds of games. From my own standpoint, I'd say that Soulsborne games as a whole are the kind of games that are fun for about an hour or so, but then get old and grating really fast.

But would I personally use the word 'flex' to describe them? No. But would I use the word, 'elitist'? Yes, undeniably.

Last edited:

vondecayle

Open world games are not my favorites.

Cetra

Ash got 26 years, Liko won't, recency bias fanboys
I like Elden Ring a lot but it is far from as good as the Souls community claims. I got into some arguments in a comment section of a video - I, a guy that likes the game and played it for 150 hours - and explained to multiple people why it is a good but also a generic game and nothing special, beginning with the fact that while it has some interesting lore behind it, it does not have an actual story, which makes it basically the same as old games like Pokémon Red which is full of lore but with a paper-thin plot of "journeying to get to the league and randomly stumbling over the mafia to beat it with a protagonist that back at that time had no personality because developers always think that such characters are immersive which they are not." I really enjoyed playing Elden Ring but for me there is just no reason to act as if it is more than it is. It did nothing new and nothing that it did was better than in other games. And if I do not call them masterpieces I won't call this one a masterpiece. I liked Sekiro a lot more. It had no pointless open world, it had an actual character and it had an actual story. And as open world game I like the Horizon series a lot more for the same reasons. Also some brainlets that try to ridicule others for playing a game with mechanics that the developers made just so you can use them don't really understand the point of games. There is no point in forcing myself through an unnecessary challenge if it is not fun.

Oh and yes, FromSoftware games being artifically hard just for bragging rights is BAD game design. If you are a family that eats chilli and one of the children cannot eat chilli which is too hot the family does not say "then go screw yourself", a good family that is not full of asses readies a second less hot pot and does not exclude the child like some anti-socials. There is 0 loss in making a choosable easy mode for people that have a life beyond video games. And no, Elden Ring having many ways to get stronger is not what I am talking about because if 40-year old family father who only can play for 2 hours a week spend 60 bucks on a game and sees that he just looses and looses he turns around and walks away before even knowing you can make it easier. Easy modes exist for a reason and the only "disadvantage" is that people can no longer brag "I beat the game that has only one difficulty mode" which is no loss at all. A game that only has the difficulty going for it and nothing else is not particularly engaging if you want more from RPGs. I grew up with Final Fantasy. A game with characters, story, lore AND all the RPG adventure elements. Elden Ring is nowhere close to being one of the best RPGs, let alone one of the best games. It is just another game, like Breath of the Wild, which was so hyped up, that people forget other games exist. Just like Nier 2 when Nier 1 was much better.

Last edited:

vondecayle

I was fine with pokemon games being linear or open zone.

Damerdal

[Dam]n h[er] Gan[dal]f!
I like Elden Ring a lot but it is far from as good as the Souls community claims. I got into some arguments in a comment section of a video - I, a guy that likes the game and played it for 150 hours - and explained to multiple people why it is a good but also a generic game and nothing special, beginning with the fact that while it has some interesting lore behind it, it does not have an actual story, which makes it basically the same as old games like Pokémon Red which is full of lore but with a paper-thin plot of "journeying to get to the league and randomly stumbling over the mafia to beat it with a protagonist that back at that time had no personality because developers always think that such characters are immersive which they are not." I really enjoyed playing Elden Ring but for me there is just no reason to act as if it is more than it is. It did nothing new and nothing that it did was better than in other games. And if I do not call them masterpieces I won't call this one a masterpiece. I liked Sekiro a lot more. It had no pointless open world, it had an actual character and it had an actual story. And as open world game I like the Horizon series a lot more for the same reasons. Also some brainlets that try to ridicule others for playing a game with mechanics that the developers made just so you can use them don't really understand the point of games. There is no point in forcing myself through an unnecessary challenge if it is not fun.

Oh and yes, FromSoftware games being artifically hard just for bragging rights is BAD game design. If you are a family that eats chilli and one of the children cannot eat chilli which is too hot the family does not say "then go screw yourself", a good family that is not full of asses readies a second less hot pot and does not exclude the child like some anti-socials. There is 0 loss in making a choosable easy mode for people that have a life beyond video games. And no, Elden Ring having many ways to get stronger is not what I am talking about because if 40-year old family father who only can play for 2 hours a week spend 60 bucks on a game and sees that he just looses and looses he turns around and walks away before even knowing you can make it easier. Easy modes exist for a reason and the only "disadvantage" is that people can no longer brag "I beat the game that has only one difficulty mode" which is no loss at all. A game that only has the difficulty going for it and nothing else is not particularly engaging if you want more from RPGs. I grew up with Final Fantasy. A game with characters, story, lore AND all the RPG adventure elements. Elden Ring is nowhere close to being one of the best RPGs, let alone one of the best games. It is just another game, like Breath of the Wild, which was so hyped up, that people forget other games exist. Just like Nier 2 when Nier 1 was much better.

I loved how some in the Elden Ring/Soulsborne fandom criticized games like Horizon Forbidden West for having too many quest markers (even though you can turn off all those options in HFW anyway) and praising Elden Ring for its unlimited freedom. Yet, many people ended up having to Google the map/quest locations in Elden Ring too. People confuse lore = story, when it really is not the same.

Agree with the difficulty aspect too. I don't have time and energy to "git gud" with work and other adult responsibilities. There was nothing stopping Elden Ring from having an "exploration" mode where enemy damage is like quarter or half of normal. It still forces players to be competent on some level, but not something to bang your head on the wall against for hours and hours.