• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Movie Opinions

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I figured since we have a thread for unpopular opinions in general and one for Pokémon that we could use one to discuss unpopular opinions involving movies and Hollywood separated from the others. We all have opinions that are unpopular about Hollywood and movies.

I think that all of the Lord of the Rings movies are way overrated and extremely boring. I couldn’t make it past twenty minutes of the first film without falling asleep. It’s just a bunch of nothing going on for way too long with only a few CGI effects thrown in every now and then. It takes almost three hours for some guys just to get rid of a stupid ring when it takes divorced women 15 minutes to do the same task!

The Adam Sandler movie Jack and Jill really isn’t as terrible as everyone claims. Yeah it had its flaws but it did show the true value of family and Hack learned that despite how irritating his sister could be, she was still his sister and that their bond as twins could never truly be broken.

Joan Crawford’s character Blanche in What Ever Happened to Baby Jane got what she deserved. She never once stood up for her sister whenever anyone bad mouthed her and drove Jane to become an alcoholic that believed she had no choice but to take care of the sister that was paralyzed. Blanche was the true villain.

Gwyneth Paltrow is a horrible actress and it’s a mystery as to how or why she won that Oscar. She’s just so bland when acting and she has aged rather badly. Probably because all she eats is a piece of a carrot the size of a pinhead and tries to convince idiots that listen to her “advice” that if they don’t have some $5000 a pair of jeans in their closet then they aren’t living a healthy life.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I don't like MCU. Never seen the appeal of superheroes TBH. Bond films are boring. I dislike them. Star Wars prequels weren't that bad. Revenge of the Sith is my favorite Star Wars Film. I love The Last Jedi & don't understand the hate for it. Rogue one isn't that great. Second worst SW film IMO. I only find Solo worser.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Never liked the movies, Dumb and Dumber, Galaxy Quest, Ace Ventura: Pet Detective and Little Miss Sunshine. Couldn't see why people liked them so much.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Live action movies where the actors interact with traditionally drawn animation are much better movies for the most part than movies where live action actors interact with fully CGI animation. What made Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Mary Poppins so memorable are the 2D animated characters. They are nicely drawn and colored and seem more natural than Garfield or even Marmaduke did in their respective films. CGI cartoon characters in live action tend to either look horribly unnatural or nothing like their original counterparts or sometimes proportionally wrong. Granted some aren’t too bad like Groot or Detective Pikachu but then you also have to remember the horror that was Scooby Doo in the first live action movie.

Also the Disney animated version of Peter Pan is really ugly looking. Nothing about him is appealing or even considered “cute” and his face literally looks like a pig’s! It’s just so wrong with how he looks. I remember in the mid-90s as a kid I saw this doll of Peter and it was really ugly looking. All I kept thinking as I looked at him was, “Man that’s one ugly doll!”

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don’t really care that James Bond was replaced by a black woman. Call it “trying to be woke”, “catering to liberals/SJWs”, or “only using representation to get an audience”. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Is one movie with a different 007 really that bad? The fact that there are so many people online who seem as though this woman is personally out to trigger them baffles me because these are the same people who say people are too sensitive nowadays.

wolf jani

The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts
I don’t really care that James Bond was replaced by a black woman. Call it “trying to be woke”, “catering to liberals/SJWs”, or “only using representation to get an audience”. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest. Is one movie with a different 007 really that bad? The fact that there are so many people online who seem as though this woman is personally out to trigger them baffles me because these are the same people who say people are too sensitive nowadays.
If someone who was previously coloured would be played by a white actor. Those same people would claim that "it's just a movie get over it".

Captain Jigglypuff

What I find ironic is no one complained when one actor replaced another for the role of Jame Bond or even that Daniel Craig had blond hair instead of brown but a woman replacing Bond and she isn’t white is an issue? I’m okay with gender swapping as long as it makes sense and the basic characteristics don’t change much. This is just as ridiculous as the controversy over Ariel’s live action actress not being white.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
I know Citizen Kane is rated one of the best movies of all time, but honestly, I don't like this movie all that much. While I was watching it I was trying my HARDEST to try to figure out what was going on. I had people explain to me that the movie kept transitioning using newspaper articles, but even still I didn't understand what was going on until the very end. The filming is really good, but if I just don't understand what's going on in a movie then it's not a fun watch to me.

Not only that, but it's a political movie and I'm not a big fan of politics, really.

Nodqfan

After seeing the film multiple times. I despise James Cameron's Avatar it pretty much feels like the message of it"Screw Humanity there all evil" and I'm like yeah humanity has its faults but we're not all terrible people.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
fascist element of an ordinary person suddenly empowered with the ability to murder his/her surroundings.
Except that's not what fascism is. That would be mindless sociopathy. Umberto Eco defined fascism in his famous essay "Ur-Fascism." It's a good read into the mind of an ordinary Italian person under Mussolini.

An ordinary person gaining great power has been ingrained in human literature since oral tradition reigned supreme. The Sword of Damocles was our first legend about how power is a burden and not a gift.

Captain Jigglypuff

Some of the old direct-to-video Disney movies aren't as bad as most people would like to believe. A few like An Extremely Goofy Movie, The Lion King II: Simba's Pride, and Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas are quite good even if they don't match the quality of the originals.
I agree. Aladdin and the King of Thieves was also a very good sequel and I’ve heard Cinderella III: A Twist In Time is also excellent with the storytelling and animation and how it gave Cinderella’s stepsister Anastasia some character depth and a redemption arc. Return of Jafar was okay but it definitely isn’t the worst of the sequels. Ariel’s Beginnings is also said to be all right. I think the Disney direct to video sequels are like any other series that has done the same such as the Land Before Time. You get some movies that are great and some that are total garbage and a few that are okay. The Enchanted Christmas was very good and Tim Curry as the villain was a great casting choice but I’ve always thought it was odd that Chip was being told the story despite it happening the previous year and he was there. You think that the destruction of a huge pipe organ would be something a child wouldn’t forget.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
Deadpool sucked.

It was highly formulaic and predictable, and as Richard Roeper put it, it took an entire film to tell an origin story that could've been told in five minutes.

Honestly, I don't even think the character Deadpool would want to waste that much time on an origin story, especially not his origin story.

After seeing the film multiple times. I despise James Cameron's Avatar it pretty much feels like the message of it"Screw Humanity there all evil" and I'm like yeah humanity has its faults but we're not all terrible people.

The film is just a ripoff of Dances With Wolves anyway.

And that's not even an opinion. James Cameron eventually confessed to it, admitting Avatar is "basically Dances With Wolves in space."

Monster Guy

Fairy type Trainer
Why does everyone want every superhero movie to be rated R? Not everything needs to be graphically violent and explicit.

Also, I dislike Horror Movies. Not sure if that’s an unpopular opinion, but I’m not into scary stuff.

Captain Jigglypuff

Why does everyone want every superhero movie to be rated R? Not everything needs to be graphically violent and explicit.
Or have excessive swearing. The 1989 Batman movie was PG-13 and it is considered a classic among the superhero genre. You can have a great superhero movie without graphic over the top violence or swearing. Tim Burton managed to tone down Batman who can be considered one of the more brutal superheroes considering in the comics he has flown the Batplane while simultaneously hanging a mental patient affected by some toxin that made him extremely violent and Batman literally brushes off this horrific death as the man “being better off.” Batman is one hero that should never be shown in movies being accurate to the comics. He has killed quite a few people over the years and sometimes in horrible ways other than the example I gave.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but since the reviews for it were really positive, that was the reason on why I watched this movie but Spider-Man: Far From Home was really terrible and downright boring. I didn’t see the last Spider-Man movie and the Amazing Spider-Man movies, especially the actor, Andrew Garfield, isn’t my thing. My Spider-Man is Tobey Maguire. I don’t understand why Marvel likes keeping Peter Parker a teenager instead of aging him like they did in the comics but watching the movie was weird. The actress for Mary Jane really doesn’t look like the original Mary Jane and I wasn’t a fan of any of the jokes like Peter calling his spidey senses “Peter tingle”.

Even as a kid, I was never a fan of the whole Disney Princess movies and how girls were expected to be like or dress like a princess. Disney really isn’t all that great. Ironically, the princesses that I did/do like weren’t princesses to start with. The only princess born character I liked was Kiara (as a kid) but I absolutely despise the princess movies like Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, and preferred the Disney movies like Lady and the Tramp or Pinnochio.

I also enjoyed Suicide Squad despite it’s flaws. The new live action of Lion King too, despite it’s massive flaws. Weirdly enough, I had more issue with Toy Story 4 despite enjoying it.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion but since the reviews for it were really positive, that was the reason on why I watched this movie but Spider-Man: Far From Home was really terrible and downright boring. I didn’t see the last Spider-Man movie and the Amazing Spider-Man movies, especially the actor, Andrew Garfield, isn’t my thing. My Spider-Man is Tobey Maguire. I don’t understand why Marvel likes keeping Peter Parker a teenager instead of aging him like they did in the comics but watching the movie was weird. The actress for Mary Jane really doesn’t look like the original Mary Jane and I wasn’t a fan of any of the jokes like Peter calling his spidey senses “Peter tingle”.

Even as a kid, I was never a fan of the whole Disney Princess movies and how girls were expected to be like or dress like a princess. Disney really isn’t all that great. Ironically, the princesses that I did/do like weren’t princesses to start with. The only princess born character I liked was Kiara (as a kid) but I absolutely despise the princess movies like Cinderella, The Little Mermaid, Sleeping Beauty, and preferred the Disney movies like Lady and the Tramp or Pinnochio.

I also enjoyed Suicide Squad despite it’s flaws. The new live action of Lion King too, despite it’s massive flaws. Weirdly enough, I had more issue with Toy Story 4 despite enjoying it.
That was me as well. I liked Toby's version of Spider-Man. I tried watching Spider-Man: Homecoming... and just cringed during most of it.