• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Movie Opinions

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
What I don’t get is why everyone wants everything to be so dark and ultra violent especially for the superhero genre and reboots nowadays. It can work on some properties like Riverdale if the original source is a bit too kid friendly and you want to tell a story using existing characters in a new light that makes sense. But then you’ve got Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot that is so dark that it feels uncomfortable to watch and changing personalities so drastically that don’t match how everyone knows the characters.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
What I don’t get is why everyone wants everything to be so dark and ultra violent especially for the superhero genre and reboots nowadays. It can work on some properties like Riverdale if the original source is a bit too kid friendly and you want to tell a story using existing characters in a new light that makes sense. But then you’ve got Sabrina the Teenage Witch reboot that is so dark that it feels uncomfortable to watch and changing personalities so drastically that don’t match how everyone knows the characters.
That’s how I felt about the last Scooby Doo reboot, Mystery Incorporated. It didn’t feel like Scooby Doo at all, not in the characters or essence at all (outside of appearance or obvious traits like Shaggy and Scooby’s love for eating.) I just never liked that show considering how drastic the character changes were and how it wasn’t Scooby Doo for me and this is coming from someone who actually loves the original Hanna Barbera shows rather than just Where Are You! as most people really don’t care for the property outside of it being a childhood classic. Hearing from fans on how apparently the 80’s era was unnatural or didn’t feel like Scooby Doo merely because the main characters were fighting actual ghosts or demons AT TIMES yet these same people praise this reboot as the best Scooby Doo cartoon when this cartoon has been furthest from being Scooby Doo and has some of the same elements that the 80’s era had despite being done right yet were seen as complaints against the former. I can appreciate the mystery and story structure but they had to make it to where it was Scooby Doo but only in name.

A truly unpopular opinion I have despite it not being about movies.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

My opinion on all of the live action remakes Disney is putting out there is that not every beloved animated movie the company has released needs a live action adaptation. The classic fairy tales such as Cinderella or Sleeping Beauty can work because of how well known they are and there are dozens of adaptations of the tales that make each one different from the last. Alice in Wonderland can work as a live action movie since Wonderland is a bizarre place where nothing is ever as it should be and that can lead to countless reimaginings that are very unique. Then you have the movies like The Lion King that were perfect just the way they are and don’t need an adaptation whatsoever unless they made a film version of the Broadway musical. You can’t remake some of the animated films into live action no matter how hard you try. Bambi, The Aristocats, The Fox and the Hound, And Robin Hood would be awful if they were given the Lion King CGI treatment given that humans either are on screen for a very short amount of time or not at all and the animals are the main focus of the film. Disney should also stop making remakes that are almost exactly the same as their animated counterparts unless you add something very different into the story and it flows well with the rest of the plot. Maleficent worked because we got to see Sleeping Beauty from her side of the story and also because in the original story, the fairy that cursed Aurora was never explicitly said to be evil. She was just a fairy that was rightfully angry at being excluded from a party that literally every other Fairy was invited to and she wanted to teach the King and Queen a lesson. Yes it was extreme and unfair to the Princess but it is understandable why the fairy cursed her. The Lion King failed because nothing new was thrown into the mix and realistic CGI animals can’t convey the emotional facial expressions necessary to the plot.

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I lost interest in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (and Marvel in general) after Captain America: Civil War, which I thought was a long boring slog of a film. I haven't seen any of the other Phase 3 films and I never intend on doing so. Other than little bits of Rogue One, I haven't seen any of the Disney Star Wars film and again I don't really want to, because I stopped paying attention to Star Wars after Revenge of the Sith. I'll admit I do feel like the odd one out among my circle of friends because I'm the only one who doesn't care about Marvel or Star Wars.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I still don’t see the big deal of Endgame being the highest grossing movie. A lot of my friends were way too invested in this small trend of going to rewatch it just to get it more income. I was bored out of my mind until they got all the Infinity Stones and even then the only worthwhile watch was the return of all the fallen. Truthfully I only went to watch because my group of friends wouldn’t shut up about it

Reinhardt

You! Me! Rivals! Yes?
I still don’t see the big deal of Endgame being the highest grossing movie. A lot of my friends were way too invested in this small trend of going to rewatch it just to get it more income. I was bored out of my mind until they got all the Infinity Stones and even then the only worthwhile watch was the return of all the fallen. Truthfully I only went to watch because my group of friends wouldn’t shut up about it
I know the feeling. the first two or so weeks Endgame was out, my Facebook feed was full of people going "DON'T POST ENDGAME SPOILERS! DON'T POST ENDGAME SPOILERS!" and threatening to end friendships with anyone who gave away any spoilers. I heard a man was even beaten up outside of a cinema for shouting out spoilers. There was also this post with a list of really control-freaky rules about how you should behave in the cinema while watching Endgame, like "You will NOT crunch your popcorn too loudly!" and "You will NOT get up to go to the toilet!"

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
MCU movies are not that great. EndGame is not better than TDK( as superhero/comic book movie) and Endgame is in like Top 300 or Top 400 the best movies of all time.
Star Wars movies are getting worse and worse.
Hobbit movies are actually good.
Old movies are better than new ones
Amazing Spiderman > Homecoming
Out of all 50 TGHM of all time only like 5-6 deserve to be there.

I know Citizen Kane is rated one of the best movies of all time, but honestly, I don't like this movie all that much.
CK is actually one of the greatest movies of all time, sad you didn't understand it. There's still a reason why it's rated that high...

I know the feeling. the first two or so weeks Endgame was out, my Facebook feed was full of people going "DON'T POST ENDGAME SPOILERS! DON'T POST ENDGAME SPOILERS!" and threatening to end friendships with anyone who gave away any spoilers. I heard a man was even beaten up outside of a cinema for shouting out spoilers. There was also this post with a list of really control-freaky rules about how you should behave in the cinema while watching Endgame, like "You will NOT crunch your popcorn too loudly!" and "You will NOT get up to go to the toilet!"

I heard about that guy getting beaten up and I checked comments and guess what; re*ards also known as MCUt*rds are saying that guy should've been killed, beaten, hanged etc... It's awful, those people are the worst of kind. Seriously those MCU stans even surpasses K-Pop fans and Star Wars fans. I remember video when guy spoiled Dumbledore dying.. No one really azzacked him or beat him, people were mad and that's about it.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The Dora movie was pretty good! I really liked it. It did a lot better than what I expected and it wasn’t bad considering what it’s source material was.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I actually really liked Iron Man 3 and Age of Ultron, sure, the Mandarin twist was lame and Killian wasn't that much of a good villain, but I loved how Tony's PTSD from Avengers 1 was portrayed, Tony's relationship with Harley was somewhat of an early version of his relationship with Peter, and it was interesting to see Pepper finally do something. As for AoU, I just really liked the chemistries between everyone (including Ultron), as well as all the foreshadowing for Civil War/Ragnarok/Infinity War (The "We'll lose" scene was brilliant), and Hawkeye was surprisingly great there

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Batman Begins is a better Batman film than The Dark Knight,I really liked the origin story for him on how he becomes Batman.The Dark Knight is a great film but there were some problems I had with it.First would be Batman himself,I didn't care too much for the upgraded suit but tolerate it,I get he changed suits because he had trouble moving his neck but he clearly looked more menacing in the first suit in BB.His voice in TDK and TDKR is terrible it's like he has throat cancer or something,it wasn't nearly as bad in BB.
The second problem I have with TDK is the secondary villain in Two-Face it just flopped,they were better off just using him for another movie in the future.

At least in BB there was an even balance between two villains in Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow while in TDK Joker hogged most of the screentime,Two-Face didn't show up until towards the end of the film and didn't buy Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face either.Cillian Murphy and Liam Neeson did great as Scarecrow and Ra's al Ghul and Christian Bale was awesome as Batman in the BB movie.Another unpopular opinion would be that I have both Avengers Infinity War and Endgame above both of the Christopher Nolan films.

Amazing Spiderman > Homecoming
Yeah not only that but the Sam Raimi films from the early 2000s were better as well

1.Spider-Man 2 (2004)
2.Spider-Man (2002)
GAP
3.Spider-Man 3 (2007)
4.The Amazing Spider-Man
5.Spider-Man: Far From Home
6.Spider-Man: Homecoming
7.The Amazing Spider-Man 2

As for the Spider-Man actors

1.Tobey Maguire
2.Andrew Garfield
3.Tom Holland

Tobey Maguire is the strongest,most durable and most experienced Spider-Man in terms of live action.Andrew Garfield is the fastest and most agile,Tom Holland isn't the strongest or the fastest and is clearly the least experienced version,especially since he kept clinging onto Tony Stark.He didn't create his own suit until Far From Home and was just using what Tony gave him in Homecoming,Civil War and Infinity War.He also has given his identity away to many people already.The real Spider-Man wouldn't have done that and he also wouldn't need to rely on other people.I guess the motto "With great power comes great responsibility" didn't apply to the MCU Spider-Man.

Last edited:

Missingno.Fan

I am not into superheroes. They just don’t appeal to me at all and they never have.

I don’t like raunchy comedies.

I don’t like how Disney is always promoting brands that they purchased as if they invented it. Like when you go to a Disney store, you have to walk pass endless shelves of Star Wars and Marvel stuff. The only thing I’m okay with them promoting is Pixar because it wasn’t a household name before they worked with Disney.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Second me with not liking raunchy comedies. I don't find them to be funny, mainly just stupid.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Practical effects are often more believable than CGI, especially in horror films. As an example, I'd point to John Carpenter's The Thing from 1982 compared to the 2011 prequel, also titled The Thing. The former is considered a cult classic and one of the best practical effect movies of all time, while the latter was a complete flop that most people forget even exists. Part of this is owed to the fact that the 2011 version entirely misses everything that made the original so good and focuses purely on the horror-movie aspects of the monster itself, but I think some of this has to be attributed to the fact that the practical effects of the original movie lend it am unsettling "real" quality that the CGI of the prequel fails to capture. There's something primally disturbing about a real object that your brain registers exists in physical space that a computer-generated image has far more difficulty emulating.

Speaking of horror movies, most horror movies, especially those made in the past 20 years, are complete and utter garbage not worthy of the time it takes you to watch them. Jumpscares and startling noises don't make for an engaging movie. Truly good horror movies come in two varieties; the psychologically unsettling kind that worms its way into your head and makes you think about what the implications would be if this were to happen in the real world, and leave you thinking (and slightly disturbed) long after having finished watching the movie, and schlocky classic horror films that have their own unique charm, at least until they've had a dozen sequels based on them and any originality and charm the original movie had has long since been bled out. Movies that fall into these categories are rare. Cheap startles, jumpscares, and making the 20th Friday the 13th movie is much easier than originality, apparently.

Last edited:

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
The Raimi trilogy of Spider-Man sucks!
I've always felt this way, Spider-Man was and will always be my favorite hero. He was the first one I was introduced to, along with Batman and Superman. I tried watching them again and again... but they never had the same appeal as the Batman and Superman movies.
Probably doesn't help they made Spider-Man a crybaby.... and an emo in the third one *shudder*

Amazing was awesome! I didn't like how Rhino was shoehorned in, yeah... nor did I like Harry's 'Goblin' appearance... but I loved seeing awesome villains like Lizard and Electro get time to shine, and what's more, best girl was Peter's girlfriend! MJ's overrated, Gwen, Felicia, and Cindy Moon are better soulmates.

'MJ' is the only bad thing about the MCU Spider-Man. Just.... no. Happy/May is the only good MCU Spider ship currently

AgentKallus

It's not a game Kate.
spideygate is Disney's fault, Sony was sensible to not agree to their terms.

Captain Jigglypuff

I have noticed a lot of people bash the straight to video Disney sequels but some are actually quite good and enjoyable. Of course you always hear that Aladdin and the King of Thieves and Cinderella III: A Twist In Time are the best of the bunch with the Lion King 2 also said to be one of the best. But the Little Mermaid ones are also good in their own way with the sequel having a rare instance for Disney that the villain actually wins and the drive for the evil scheme wasn’t for a list of power or even greed. Morgan’s only lost because Melody managed to sneak up on her by pure luck. The Beauty and the Beast Christmas movie was pretty good and made even better with Tim Curry being a much more threatening villain than Gaston ever was and his ability to control anyone that heard his music could have caused way more destruction and chaos if he wasn’t immobilized completely as a result of being attached to the wall.

chinchourulz

200% Quality Poster
Anyone can play Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, or Leatherface or any big dumb mute horror slasher in a franchise.

Only character that's tough act to follow is Freddy Krueger. Robert Englund is the OG.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Anyone can play Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, or Leatherface or any big dumb mute horror slasher in a franchise.

Only character that's tough act to follow is Freddy Krueger. Robert Englund is the OG.

I think Kane Hodder was amazing with practical effects as Jason. Dude was good at being set on fire.