• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Opinions About Anime and Manga

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Upon dwelling on it for a while, I just can't understand folks who refuse to watch old anime (from the 90s-backward) simply because it's "ugly" or 'too pointy"--although it's true that the 90s had an… interesting style compared to the other eras, my guess this was inspired by Masami Oobari since his style fits the descriptions, next to Slayers. Aesthetics-aside, that mindset's painting such a broad stroke that it's literally limiting options, and they're missing out on some really good anime (and many of them influential) by avoiding the entire era like the plague.

On a similar note, I don't like InuYasha and I can't for the life of me figure out why it got popular (same goes for Love Hina, how the hell did it get popular but Tenchi Muyo goes under people's radars?). It's pretty sad that I was able to get interested in both shows first starting out, but then they got dull and I stopped caring.

I see, IMO, Naruto should've died even earlier: mid-2015. Manga finished in December 2014. I know manga is going ahead and all. They could finish anime up: June/July 2015. ( not fillers, just canon). As last episode could be : like last chapter of manga( Naruto with kids and other MC's with kids) Naruto as Hokage is ready for meeting and it there. So, no more: movies( well there is no new movies), manga spin offs, games and no anime, no OVA.
What we get instead; some manga spin offs, anime fillers and new anime in future, probably new games. SMH. Naruto died in 2015...

phanpycross

God-king
Timeskips in anime are terrible.

It only feels like a cheap way to make a series seem like it has a legacy when it really doesnt.

CMButch

This is not unpopular opinion, just a question that I wanted to post somewhere, but I don't want to offend Yugioh fans( in YGO Arc V thread)

Question is: If franchise's name is Yu-Gi-Oh! Why the hell Yugi is not main character anymore? I mean it's not Yu-Sei-Oh! or Ja-Den-Oh! It's Yu-Gi-Oh!
It's literally in his name. I mean look at Pokemon: Still doing well everywhere, while Ash is still there.YuGioh would be still fine with Yugi.

If you ask me; there should be more chance of them replacing Ash than Yugi. Because: It's not Ashmon. It's Pokemon. Here, it is YuGiOh.
That'd be same if there is a movie in franchise Scooby Doo and Scooby is only there for 5 minutes. Or Franchise name: Scooby Snacks;While Scooby Doo appears only for 5 minutes in the movie.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Question is: If franchise's name is Yu-Gi-Oh! Why the hell Yugi is not main character anymore? I mean it's not Yu-Sei-Oh! or Ja-Den-Oh! It's Yu-Gi-Oh!
It's literally in his name. I mean look at Pokemon: Still doing well everywhere, while Ash is still there.YuGioh would be still fine with Yugi.

Yu-Gi-Oh! translates exactly to "King of Games!" while still being a meaningful name for Yugi. Even after his story ended (or so we thought *coughDimensionscough*), new main characters were still introduced to keep the franchise fresh, but the name still stuck simply because it still fits the new main leads: They're becoming the king of games, if only for their own show--all the while still rehashing older plots/ideas on occasion.

With that said, Kazuki Takahashi doesn't do the art for the manga anymore. He just comes up with the story, although I feel like he only comes up with the basic idea, and he lets the one doing the art/Studio Gallop come up with everything else and supervises on occasion. He did have creative control over Darkside of Dimensions, but he otherwise hasn't really had control over the franchise for years since 5D's.

Pokémon can do whatever it wants with the anime since it's not targeted toward us (now that we're grown up). Do I wish Pokémon would be more like Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! in that each new season is its own stand-alone season with its own cast of characters? Yes, but that's what we have the manga for. The anime is just a big advertisement for the game and merchandise, and will continue to be so in the future or until Rica Matsumoto dies (although she might have an understudy, so they'd still continue).

CMButch

Yu-Gi-Oh! translates exactly to "King of Games!" while still being a meaningful name for Yugi. Even after his story ended (or so we thought *coughDimensionscough*), new main characters were still introduced to keep the franchise fresh, but the name still stuck simply because it still fits the new main leads: They're becoming the king of games, if only for their own show--all the while still rehashing older plots/ideas on occasion.

With that said, Kazuki Takahashi doesn't do the art for the manga anymore. He just comes up with the story, although I feel like he only comes up with the basic idea, and he lets the one doing the art/Studio Gallop come up with everything else and supervises on occasion. He did have creative control over Darkside of Dimensions, but he otherwise hasn't really had control over the franchise for years since 5D's.

Pokémon can do whatever it wants with the anime since it's not targeted toward us (now that we're grown up). Do I wish Pokémon would be more like Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! in that each new season is its own stand-alone season with its own cast of characters? Yes, but that's what we have the manga for. The anime is just a big advertisement for the game and merchandise, and will continue to be so in the future or until Rica Matsumoto dies (although she might have an understudy, so they'd still continue).

I see about King of Games. But it still doesn't add up, why it's Yu-Gi-Oh! It could be something else. Or they could put MC's name at something else,and not Yugi. I am talking about name and not literal meaning of it. They obviously had intention to create Yugi as MC, but later changed him because his story is finished. Why is not Kokou no gemu( I think that's King of Games translation(but it's poor, sorry)) or MC's name to be Saitama or something. I mean maybe they wanted to finish Yugioh after Yugi vs Yami but due its success they went on?They probably didn't have any intention creating Jaden, Yusei, Yuya, Yuma.If they were they would probably choose different title or MC name.

About Pokemon, it's still doing well and sells well even if Ash is there. If Yugi was there it could still do well.Even if Rica dies, Ash will still be there.

Last edited:

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
While horror in Japan's video games is legendary, I feel that horror in anime and manga is extremely hard to pull off well. Japan being the country that it is, has some really interesting concepts that could be used to bring fresh content to the sorely abused genre. A lot of Japanese horror films are well known and for good reason, but I've noticed that, more often than not, horror in the other mediums Japan is known for has not been so strong.

The reason why I feel this way is because of the works of Junji Ito, and just how good they are (for those of you who don't know, this man made spirals absolutely terrifying - I'm not joking). I am aware that horror suffers the same condition over here in the west, but honestly I find most of what Japan has to offer underwhelming. Which is a pity considering all the terrifying concepts and creatures they have at their disposal.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Evangelion is garbage.
Praise the lord, I'm not alone! The opening song is the only thing I found even remotely likeable in that obnoxious show.

Angel Beats! is extremely overrated as well. It offers absolutely nothing that many, many other dramas haven't already done many times before and after, but better. It shocks me that people have actually teared up because of it, I can hardly even remember any truly touching moments.

Last edited:

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Angel Beats! is extremely overrated as well. It offers absolutely nothing that many, many other dramas haven't already done many times before and after, but better. It shocks me that people have actually teared up because of it, I can hardly even remember any truly touching moments.

Only one scene sticks out to me the most that actually got me to break down, and that's the episode that focused on Yui. But otherwise, yeah, in all honesty, I don't get why it's so popular, even more popular than the other Key visual novels that were adapted (it's still better than Charlotte, though, and maybe Little Busters, at least the first season). I actually thought Kanon or AIR could be one of the more popular ones, but CLANNAD's huge popularity makes a lot of sense. It stills doesn't have the high view counts as Angel Beats, though.

Maybe if it was longer than 13 episodes, then there probably wouldn't be as many complaints since most of its problems stem from its short length. But even within those 13 episodes, due to the large cast being sadly underdeveloped and the rushed pacing, it's a little hard to remember some details, let alone care about the characters. I also don't know the soundtrack outside of the opening, closing, and the insert songs, although that could just be me not listening to the OST over and over like with the others--but even after tracking down the soundtrack, the music just didn't interest me.

I dunno, I guess I just see Angel Beats as a missed golden opportunity that got screwed over by executive meddling.

Janovy

Banned
Byakuya Togami from Danganronpa is awesome.
I wasn't aware people hated Togami! :O I thought people mostly liked him haha.

I like Togami too. He's grown so much since his debut in the original Danganronpa game.

I wasn't aware people hated Togami! :O I thought people mostly liked him haha.

I like Togami too. He's grown so much since his debut in the original Danganronpa game.

My sister told me that she found tons of things saying people really disliked him, but I love his design and character so much! And yes, he grew a bucketload since the original Danganronpa game. I think me and my sister were relieved to see he didn't die in the first game or the second. Thing is, we haven't finished Danganronpa 3 the anime yet, so we don't know if he survives through that, but we are hoping that he lives!

Samayouru

Rabid Dusclops Fan
Okay I don't actually dislike Sonic X. Is it great? No but I don't think it's the worst like most people seem to think (after all it could've been as bad as School Days *shudder*). It's more of a guilty pleasure for me like Birdemic or Troll 2.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Okay I don't actually dislike Sonic X. Is it great? No but I don't think it's the worst like most people seem to think (after all it could've been as bad as School Days *shudder*). It's more of a guilty pleasure for me like Birdemic or Troll 2.

I disliked the Sonic X dub, which is a shame since I like the Sonic games franchise as a whole. I'm not sure if 4Kids edited much of the original content like they did with One Piece or anything, but Sonic X seemed really cheesy to me, mostly cuz of the voices I think. ^^;

Born Better

God of Lightning
I see about King of Games. But it still doesn't add up, why it's Yu-Gi-Oh! It could be something else. Or they could put MC's name at something else,and not Yugi. I am talking about name and not literal meaning of it. They obviously had intention to create Yugi as MC, but later changed him because his story is finished. Why is not Kokou no gemu( I think that's King of Games translation(but it's poor, sorry)) or MC's name to be Saitama or something. I mean maybe they wanted to finish Yugioh after Yugi vs Yami but due its success they went on?They probably didn't have any intention creating Jaden, Yusei, Yuya, Yuma.If they were they would probably choose different title or MC name.

About Pokemon, it's still doing well and sells well even if Ash is there. If Yugi was there it could still do well.Even if Rica dies, Ash will still be there.
Because the series wasn't named after the pwotagonist.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
They probably didn't have any intention creating Jaden, Yusei, Yuya, Yuma.

IIRC, Kazuki Takahashi (the creator of the franchise) didn't even want to continue the anime franchise after 5D's, but for some reason, he changed his mind and allowed it to happen, and he even designed Yuma himself.

Chuyaki (or however you spell her name) from Danganronpa 2 is a really annoying Mary Sue who isn't any better in the Danganronpa 3 anime, where she is basically the reason why her and her friends go save a certain someone which results in them all going insane. What's more, the person who tried to prevent it was none other than Nagito Komaeda, who is an adorable snugglemuffin.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
Byakuya Togami from Danganronpa is awesome.

I'm pretty sure Togami is one of the most popular Danganronpa characters. Possibly the fan favourite male character along with Nagito.

I'm pretty sure Togami is one of the most popular Danganronpa characters. Possibly the fan favourite male character along with Nagito.

My sister has seen tons of people who absolutely despise him.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ