• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Opinions Thread XY

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJack

Zura
The only alternative is to keep regressing him again like they did in BW. Honestly it was the backlash toward BW that probably made the writers make Ash competent and mature again with XY.

BW was meant to be a reboot but keeping the same main character made no sense. Had Ash have left the anime at the end of DP, and BW was a new guy traveling with Iris/Cilan...it would have made more sense.

I hope the writers knows that people don't want to watch another BW Ash again

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
-XY Ash is neither a competent trainer nor a good character.
-Not about XY in particular, but: I don't care about captures, team changes, etc. seeing as they don't make a real difference in the quality of any series.

I sort of agree about the first, although Ash is steadily improving. And the second point is so true imo; Ash always dumps off his Pokemon at Oak's place anyway, so his captures are irrelevant to me for the most part.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
- I find Bonnie adorable and think she really acts like a small child (as opposed to Max, who was a grown up in a child's body. Though plenty of anime are guilty of this)

- The TRio are the best they've been since the OS.

- Mega-evos won't be used as much as we originally thought they'd be, and several won't get to appear outside of show-up-for-the-heck-of-it cameos and Manon's skits.

- Am neutral on "Ashrena"; wouldn't mind seeing it become a thing, but won't be too bothered if it doesn't.

- Ash WILL get a Megastone before all is said and done, will Mega-evolve Charizard into Mega-C Y, and will have a battle with Alan.

- I think Giovanni will step up again like with Operation Tempest (him vs. Lysandre???), or at least be more TR members will appear

- I want Tobias to reappear with Mega-Latios and more Legendaries (come at me, bros!)

- I'm perfectly okay with the lack of ORAS influence. Though I still expect something to happen before things calm down. It just won't be shoved in our faces /or down our throats as bad as previous remakes were.

- I DON'T want Iris to come back

Last edited:

Lucille

I'd like to see the return of the Ash/Misty/Brock group at the end of the anime. Gotta love the classics even if this opinion is unpopular

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I really don't see why people think Ash is back to his DP skill level, he's nowhere near that imo, he's more like a slightly more skilled and mature character built of his BW self imo.

Squirtle_007

I hope the writers knows that people don't want to watch another BW Ash again

I do, you could say anything about BW Ash, but at least he managed to keep his butt away from his companions's business, now this is The Ash Show featuring his Blonde Cheerleaders Squad

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I do, you could say anything about BW Ash, but at least he managed to keep his butt away from his companions's business, now this is The Ash Show featuring his Blonde Cheerleaders Squad

I honestly don't want another BW Ash, but it's probably bound to happen due to the repetitive nature of this show and the endless cycle Ash is in now, and I agree that he still gets way too much screentime, but at least it's better than it was in the 1st year of XY. Serena's actually getting some screentime and development now.

Jangobadass

Fear the Chicken!
Really? Out of curiosity why do you think TR is the best since XY? From what I've seen around everyone feels they're even worse now than they were in DP or BW.

Yeah, I've seen that too. Which I find quite sad :(

They're back to walking the fine line between funny and threatening like they used to, and aren't JUST comic relief butt-monkeys. They don't appear in time wasting subplots or pop in episodes they have no *beep* place in, wear actual disguises, USE their Pokémon (even if they're spamming the living *beep* out of 2 moves, but they never did much with their other Pokémon either), are making some big moves (stealing the Champion's main Pokémon is the ballsiest thing they've done in years), wear ACTUAL disguises and have some actual ambition to DO things with the Pokémon they steal and not some retarded Meowth fantasy.

I realize they've long since worn out their welcome, and that the writers just don't know what to DO with them anymore. They've had precious little idea since Gen 3 (thanks, Gamefreak). But for the first time in forever since the OS, I can watch them without reaching for the fastforward button every time they are on screen :)

Last edited:

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I do, you could say anything about BW Ash, but at least he managed to keep his butt away from his companions's business

That's because those companions barely had business of their own to begin with. I dislike that Ash gets involved in everything in XY, but he is the main character after all.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I'd like to see the return of the Ash/Misty/Brock group at the end of the anime. Gotta love the classics even if this opinion is unpopular

For maybe one episode at the end of the anime, maybe. I don't want to sit through a full saga with the trio again though, but that's obviously not going to happen anyway.

Squirtle_007

That's because those companions barely had business of their own to begin with. I dislike that Ash gets involved in everything in XY, but he is the main character after all.

But still, Iris and Cilan had more business than Serena and Clemont, the Blonde Squad can't have 22 minutes for themselves without Ash getting his share of spotlight in every of their "centric" epiodes, Iris/Cilan episodes were really focused on them

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I think Ash is portrayed as a "hero boy" this saga because the writers want him to win the league. For the first time the entire cast is younger and looks up to him, and Ash is the heroic action hero who can do anything. He has a girl with a canon crush on him, and two siblings who think Ash is amazing. Its time for Ash to take his place among the champions.

Red and Blue

I think Ash is portrayed as a "hero boy" this saga because the writers want him to win the league. For the first time the entire cast is younger and looks up to him, and Ash is the heroic action hero who can do anything. He has a girl with a canon crush on him, and two siblings who think Ash is amazing. Its time for Ash to take his place among the champions.

Having younger people idolize him and a girl liking him really doesn't mean anything. He could still be the hero boy and lose the Kalos League.

Lucille

I still doubt Ash wins this league. He just placed Top 8 in Unova. The writers won't just forget that. Top 4 is the best for Ash imo.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ash could possibly drop in the rankings again down to the top 16 or will probably stay at the top 8. I don't see him getting any further than the top 4, if he even makes it that far.

TheCharredDragon

Tis the Hour to Reload
Unpopular opinions? Let's see... I have no idea if my opinions are actually unpopular but I'll give it a go. Note, I still haven't actually played X OR Y.

-I like Mega Charizard Y about as much as I like X. Sure, X is awesome and I like it too, but I honestly like Y, but for different reasons. I think it's an unpopular opinion seeing as X is cooler and more ferocious looking.
-I like all the Mega Evolutions really. They look good for each Pokémon, in different ways. I think it's an unpopular opinion because I remember some people don't like Mega Manectric, for example.
-I don't really carw about the anime anymore but I don't mind watching it. Honestly, I can get why is everyone criticizing it and all but I don't really find it untolerable. I don't know if that's an unpopular opinion though.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I still doubt Ash wins this league. He just placed Top 8 in Unova. The writers won't just forget that. Top 4 is the best for Ash imo.

I think Ash dropping in the rankings in Unova prove there is no pattern. I think of XY as a natural continuation where Ash was at the end of DP. Had Tobias not had all legendaries Ash would have won the league.

KKS-Lapras

I think Ash dropping in the rankings in Unova prove there is no pattern. I think of XY as a natural continuation where Ash was at the end of DP. Had Tobias not had all legendaries Ash would have won the league.

There's no guarantee of that. It's something people believe, but we have no clue what would have happened if Tobias had had a team of strong Pokemon non-legendary Pokemon. Ash beat Paul by the skin of his teeth. Who's to say he wouldn't have lost to Tobias by the skin of his teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.