• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pokemon fan 132

Oh boy from where to start?

1.)I thought Johto saga was fairly decent and personally i never really understood fuss this series are getting. When i watched it for first time i enjoyed in majority of episodes, main cast and TR antics and even today there are arcs and episodes i always like to go back and watch being incredibly enjoyable. Admittedly there did existed lack of direction in which characters and story would be taken with removal of GS bvall plot doing more harm than good.

But as whole gym battles and battling in general was improved (highlights were Clair, Pryce and Morty gym matches).
There were several mini-arcs which happened to be fantastic imo like Whirl islands being crowned with Whirl Cup tournament which offered quite a lot of development for Misty and her career of becoming water master. Team Rocket as organization started to be more threatening influencing story to more significant degree which can be noticed with Red Gyarados arc which brought Lance, or Lugia storyline with dr. Namba.
And while it may had lot of fillers several of them were actually enjoyable and very memorable for me being one of best episodes in history and interacting between group was still great with Ash, Misty and Brock bringing lot of humor ad fun dynamic on several occasions.

Looking back i actually feel Johto had more lighthearted humor and vibrant dynamic than successor series contained afterwards.
And i liked concept of this saga being treated as direct sequel to Kanto and OI with Ash not starting from scratch building up on his team and skills as trainer. Instead of resetting and going backwards.

Since there was present build up on friendship between Ash and traveling companions becoming more close and familiar with both their qualities and flaws , strengthening their bond further since Kanto days. . And because of same cast there existed connection to past sagas Ash traveled through with several references and return of past individuals(like Aya, Todd Snapp, Duplica, Ritchie) strengthening idea of having entity formulated anime.

2.)I don't necessarily share same view of "May and Dawn being best handled females in pokemon" with quantity not necessarily following quality.
Writing about their careers and story was without doubt handled better , but in character sense i think Misty was more deep and complex as character having highly wide and diverse specter of emotions she expressed finding right balance between hotheaded and girly side.
She had imo one of most believable growths character went through in show gradually growing in mature, independent person through friends help, as well stronger trainer coming long way since early days when she just wanted to run away from sister shadow being full of insecurity and self doubts. While keeping qualities which makes her enjoyable still being sarcastic, brash and adventurous adding fresh note to it along with lot of fresh potential waiting to be took forward.

3.) Maybe its just me but i also find Sinnoh saga to be extremely overrated. Aside from better treatment of rivals and villains theres nothing about this region which stand out for me compared to others. It had weak characterization and interactions between main cast imo, it lacked humor with comedy aspect often feeling contrived and one dimensional lacking that subtle cleverly designed dialogue previous sagas had. Contest and gym quest dragged on for longer than it was needed with writers wasting too much time on training for appeals for my taste, instead of utilizing extra focus they had on their hands for development of other characters and rivals. Like Brock, Kenny or Nando.

Not to mention i didn't found battles from Sinnoh to be so much spectacular and superior compared to other sagas like many say with AG , Johto and BW having many great battles too. .

Looking back i feel it was mistake to cram everything in 4 years, when filler arc would be much more helpful to maintain steam DP achieved in first half of its run.

4.) I don't support cast changes, because in my eyes it only promotes dispersed continuity, shallow storyline and discourage fans from growing attached to characters since its known from start how they will end up forgotten after they leave anyway.

Personally i don't see any point in constantly getting new companions which will end up replaced halfway unfinished anyway, when previous ones have more than enough potential to expand upon.
And with that line of thought in mind i would rather want that writers actually do build up on already established character and his story doing new, fresh things like Misty, May, Dawn etc. Since they already have background and developed story to pick up and work upon.
That would be more unpredictable and bring new twist to pokemon series than constantly bringing new ones which don't bring anything new which previous companions couldn't really(aside from different face) for me.

Looking back i feel it was mistake to cram everything in 4 years, when filler arc would be much more helpful to maintain steam DP achieved in first half of its run.

True I wish we had a Chronciles series for old characters to have a home so it would please their fans but the writers don't care that much for old fans.

Which is terrible move to make both from marketing and popularity standpoint if you ask me. Its disrespecting both toward characters and anime history eroding foundations on which series popularity was build, damage its reputation through bad word of mouth and aleniates viewers from anime failing to maintain watcher loyalty.

I'll preface this by saying that I've only seen Seasons 1-5 and 8 so far.

Togepi did Misty's character quite significant harm
It turned her from a skilled Gym Leader who actually worked towards her goals into a mother. There was no reason for Togepi to stay in her arms for as long as it did. Phanpy was in a pokeball by the end of the day it hatched, and it didn't do it any harm. Togepi acted like a drain on Misty's power, and never was that more apparent than in Movie 3 when Misty takes on Molly and we get a reminder of what she used to be (Brock too, but I can't blame his problems on Togepi).

Personally i never had any problem with it, but i agree how Togepi not evolving or battling back than was one big missed opportunity which could have been great addition to her team allowing to be more active. Instead most of time it was useless barely doing much which was mistake.

On positive side i guess Togepi played some role in Misty characterization being step toward maturity in future, growing in nice blend of spunky and playful yet more independent character at end of Master Quest and chronicles.

Granted Misty didn't received enough focus and growth during her run, but i wouldn't necessarily say how that was Togepi but more writers fault and result of wrongly set priorities. Either way she was still notably active, memorable character imo and i don't think she was turn in "inactive mother which just stood aside". Especially when she was very eager about achieving her water master goal in Johto receiving more focus on her story there, distinctively during Whirl Islands. She battled, brought humor and good chemistry within group, had her own dreams, coached and mentored Ash along with influencing plot on several occasions in Orange islands and Johto. More than she did in Kanto if you ask me.

Last edited:

Eievui-Nymphia

XY, gen of dreams.
-More, I don't mind the Plasma being short. Not that I expected it but it isn't like the Plasma plot alone could take the spot until October.

-I have been preferred a PWT filler saga than Episode N fo the remainder of BW. Because that would be a good way to show Ash's reserves. Also, I would have liekd a cameo pf past rivals like Paul.

-Although I liked Paul battles, I don't like too much Paul's personality. At least it was more interested than Trip.

-The reason why I prefer the DP TRio than the BW TRio are that I felt OOC that The TRio are doing mission like the Meteonite or Project Tempest. I think that the 2-partner are decent at least but the episodes where they are searching information are horrendous.

-I think that Dawn's showcase of her pokemon in her cameo wasn't that bad. The only pokemon ewho really did nothing was Togekiss. Piplup is everywhere, Buneary and Pachirisu acted in her presentation, Quilava and Mamoswine. Also, I think that she has been starred in more episodes than...

-... Cilan in 29 episodes. And if the epsidoes until the 14th March doesn't showcase Cilan as the star he would have almost 20 episodes without screentime. I love Cilan's antics in BW1 but in BW2 Cilan is very boring.

ShinyPokemon inc.

The Tower Master
I think the BW series was pretty gtood
i thought tobias in the Sinnoh league wasn't a good idea. even though the fight was good
i liked Ash vs Cameron
i think the sinnoh region was kinda overratted
i think iris is a better character than misty.
i also hope genesect beats Mewtwo

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
I agree with pokemon fan 132%, so I guess that's kind of an unpopular opinion :p

Here I go from what I've watched:

-I thought Team Magma and Team Plasma had the best leader
-I thought Team Galactic had the best staff (not leader)
-I like Team Rocket's blast offs, just not in every scene featuring them.
-I liked the Pokemon league.
-I like the anime better in english
-I liked the contests
-I don't care alot for Ash's traveling companions
-I don't get the rage with Charizard
-I like the TRio having a goofy side
-I like female characters who are girly and embrace it
-I thought Zager was the best TR member
-I don't care for Pierce(TR)

Last edited:
Actually, since Ghetsis is one of my favorite leaders in the games, I figured since he was going to be the anime that he was going to keep his character.

I could see that. If you like him in the games, as long as they don't really screw him over, he'll probably end up as one of your favorite characters in the anime. I still don't know if that's going to be the unpopular opinion though considering Ghetsis' popularity.

- TRio must leave before the X and Y anime begins. Honestly, I really feel they have nothing more to add to the series, and the writers can't seem to decide what to make them. Indecision here has led to bad choices which led to bad writing in their case in BW, no matter whether you're a fan of serious, serious and funny, or funny TRio.
- I actually liked that BW tried to go beyond the cookie-cutter formula, but it wasn't executed so well.
- There are almost no emotional moments in the Pokemon anime anymore. It's the same "GOODY-GOODY! YEAH! ALL HAPPY! FRIENDSHIP FTW!" attitude. No real sadness, no believable pain, and when it is present, it doesn't come off as believable anymore.

Last edited:

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
- There are almost no emotional moments in the Pokemon anime anymore. It's the same "GOODY-GOODY! YEAH! ALL HAPPY! FRIENDSHIP FTW!" attitude. No real sadness, no believable pain, and when it is present, it doesn't come off as believable anymore.
Agreed, though I think it's a split within the fandom 50/50

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
I did not like most of Johto although that's not an unpopular opinion.

It's hard for me to think of anything I like that others really don't in terms of the general consensus.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I never found Team Rocket funny in any series they have been in

I think May's rivals are highly overrated and are constantly being used to compare to Dawn's, unfairly.

The Original Trio wasn't the greatest thing ever in the anime and had I not been a kid, I would have wanted Brock and Misty to leave well before Johto. Both had annoying qualities and outlasted their welcome. Once Ash tamed Charizard, it was clear he didn't need coaches anymore.

Ash vs Paul in the League was too long and Infernape pretty much made the rest of Ash's Sinnoh team seem pointless. If it was a 3 on 3, then I would have no problem with it. But it taking out half of a team just to show how much it didn't need Paul and how much Ash was better for him was ridiculous.

I loved Ash and Tobias' battle and I felt it was a nice end to the League. It showed that Ash isn't some run of the mill Trainer anymore and it takes pretty much Legendaries to really knock him down.

Best Wishes, despite trying out new ideas like Ash rotating his team, has been one huge disappointment and has taken the series a huge step back compared to DP

I've found Iris and Cilan annoying from Day 1 and still believe it.

Last edited:

Haunter ゴースト

I enjoyed Ash vs Tobias, which people seem to despise.

I also didn't really enjoy the final Ash vs Paul battle, it dragged on too long for me and was quite boring. Nobody seems to agree with me apparently.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
Well then...

-Oshawott is my favorite of Ash's Unovian team and I think he's also one of his strongest.

-I think Cameron was a great rival and trainer. Just because he's stupid doesn't mean he can't be a good trainer. I mean, up to Sinnoh (maybe Hoenn) Ash showed us that... :p

-I think Unfezant is now one of Ash's strongest Pokemon from Unova. It was good against Tr who beat Pikachu so... :p

-I think Dawn had better character development than May. May seemed to get way to OP once her Silcoon evolved, while Dawn had a lot of episodes dedicated to her creating new moves and stuff for the contests...

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Continuing where I left off from.
8: Despite growing up in OS era I do not consider the group of Ash, Misty, and Brock anything special nor do I rank them higher on the card for a return then the likes of May, Dawn, Max, Iris, Cilan, and/or Tracey. Doesn't matter if they were first. Many new kids grew up with AG, DP and BW anyway. To them, those characters are more iconic to them.
9: Episode N to me felt like a desperate attempt to get higher ratings on the show and they just put N's name in the title to get his legion of fangirls to watch. It was clever mind you, but it feels and sounds like nothing but fanservice. Especially with how short it sounds like it's going to be.
10: I think the Pokemon Master goal is lame now, because it doesn't seem obtainable and it's a lame excuse to keep Ash on the show forever. They don't even mention Pokemon Masters in the games much anymore. It use to be exciting but now that it's a imaginary trophy that cannot be obtained I find it lacking.

More to come later. I'm still not done.
Edit: Here's number 11 while it's fresh in my mind.
11: I dislike how the champions and the Elite Four are portrayed on the show. It wasn't always as bad as it is now, I mean Prima or Lorelei actually looked somewhat beatable in the Orange Islands, I mean yeah she was overpowered but compare her to how Cynthia, Flint, and Bertha are she looks like a Gym Leader. So I'm expected to believe Ash can someday beat someone like Cynthia and her uberchomp that can breeze off a Blizzard attack with what? His Charizard? Bull! The Champions and E4 look like cheap broken as heck trainers instead of tactical genius battlers they should be. How is Ash ever suppose to win against them when he actually does train yet these guys are the kings and queens of cheapness? He's been training Pokemon for like over 5 years and it still looks like he'll never be as good as them. It's frustrating just to think about it.

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
It seems like the only reason some people still like watching Johto is the 4kids voice actors in the dub, because if it weren't for the old voice cast the Johto arc would have been forgotten about completely.

I guarantee that it Johto wasn't dubbed by 4kids the few people who defend it wouldn't bother at all. It's a shame a good cast was spent in a not-so-good saga.

It seems like the only reason some people still like watching Johto is the 4kids voice actors in the dub, because if it weren't for the old voice cast the Johto arc would have been forgotten about completely.

I guarantee that it Johto wasn't dubbed by 4kids the few people who defend it wouldn't bother at all. It's a shame a good cast was spent in a not-so-good saga.

That might be one of the main reasons for me. lol.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
That might be one of the main reasons for me. lol.

I agree, lol. Let's say Johto was exactly the same as we know it, same episodes/characters/everything...but would you care about it at all if the voice cast changed ages ago?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.