• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions you have about the anime(READ THE FIRST POST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Some parts of Johto were pretty good, but I couldn't enjoy it overall. Felt like the writers were trying to duplicate Kanto and failed. The lack of development for the main cast and pokemon at the time didn't help matters.

A lot of people online now were too young to be in the fandom when Johto was originally airing, so they don't remember the initial reaction to the saga.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
Speaking of Johto, I enjoy the fillers. :D

Zubeon

I don't mind the ones that introduce a new Pokemon (like the Shuckle one), and I don't really consider those to be fillers. Meeting new Pokemon is one of the objectives, therefore not filler. True filler are episodes like that stupid fat pidgey island nonsense.

pokemon fan 132

I think May's rivals are highly overrated and are constantly being used to compare to Dawn's, unfairly.

Agreed about Drew and Soledad, though Harley was pretty singular imo enjoying in his feminine, malicious personality resorting to all kind of tricks to eliminate May from competition.

The Original Trio wasn't the greatest thing ever in the anime and had I not been a kid, I would have wanted Brock and Misty to leave well before Johto. Both had annoying qualities and outlasted their welcome. Once Ash tamed Charizard, it was clear he didn't need coaches anymore.

To be fair they still helped him about strategies in Johto during Whirl islands, in league, before battling gym leaders like Pryce etc. As well providing moral support like their successors did, which always played valuable role in sense of helping Ash to deal with obstacles growing forward. Thanks to aliment and impact friends left on him.

Aside from that they had their goals and stories as well, just like May or Dawn had. Although they were focused to lesser degree.

While i respect your opinion, personally i didn't mind their stay past Kanto. They still brought lot of humor, tension and enjoyable dynamic into cast providing adventurous feeling in pokemon series following friends on journey while having fun together giving it identity in my opinion. Which allowed to get insight into Misty and Brock past, character development dealing with their issues or goals, have them contribute to resolution of various plots, catch new pokemon etc. Which i appreciated being valuable component of series

It seems like the only reason some people still like watching Johto is the 4kids voice actors in the dub, because if it weren't for the old voice cast the Johto arc would have been forgotten about completely.

I guarantee that it Johto wasn't dubbed by 4kids the few people who defend it wouldn't bother at all. It's a shame a good cast was spent in a not-so-good saga.

Eh, i beg to differ. While older VA's are possibly one of factors, many people i met like Johto because of several other things. Such as Misty still being present in anime at that time with people enjoying in show more with her around. Enjoying in Silver conference league, various arcs like Red Gyarados, Larvitar, Whirl Cup, recurring pokemon like Delibird and several other episodes they view enjoyable always liking to go back and remind themselves of their content, enjoyable interactions and unexpected surprises. Such as return of Todd Snapp for Articuno arc. Or Koga sister Aya.

If you ask me among most enjoyable episodes from Johto were definitely ones centered on Misty and Brock, or when they played some subrole sharing focus with others. People can say what they want but such episodes usually had highly interesting interactions between characters, lot of melodrama, comic scenes and pšrovided some valuable growth for Ash sidekicks.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
If you ask me among most enjoyable episodes from Johto were definitely ones centered on Misty and Brock, or when they played some subrole sharing focus with others. People can say what they want but such episodes usually had highly interesting interactions between characters, lot of melodrama, comic scenes and pšrovided some valuable growth for Ash sidekicks.

The main problem with Johto fillers were that the plot was several times this:

Ash & Co. meet Cotd X.
Cotd X needs help from them.
Ash & Co. start helping Cotd X.
TR comes and ruins whatever Cotd X wants/needs.
Pikachu Tbolts Tr who blast off again.
Cotd X finally achieves his dream/goal.
They live happily ever after.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
The same could be said for most fillers in general, it depends on how it's executed. For the most part, I felt that Johto's fillers were executed well.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
The same could be said for most fillers in general, it depends on how it's executed. For the most part, I felt that Johto's fillers were executed well.

That's true. The thing I think was lacking in Johto and Sinnoh fillers was the emotion part. In Kanto and Unova (especially Kanto) they added more than just plot. They added emotions, happy, sad, whatever. That's the reason you don't see many people hate on Kanto fillers, they were done well.

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
That's true. The thing I think was lacking in Johto and Sinnoh fillers was the emotion part. In Kanto and Unova (especially Kanto) they added more than just plot. They added emotions, happy, sad, whatever. That's the reason you don't see many people hate on Kanto fillers, they were done well.

I think Hoenn has also very good fillers. I'm right now rewatching Hoenn and I think most of it's fillers are very good. For example, "Ready, Willing, and Sableye" is a great filler episode to me.

TheSirPeras

The end of an era
I think Hoenn has also very good fillers. I'm right now rewatching Hoenn and I think most of it's fillers are very good. For example, "Ready, Willing, and Sableye" is a great filler episode to me.

I think Hoenn fillers were good too, just not (in my opinion) Kanto good.

Kanto in my opinion had the best fillers, then Unova tied with Hoenn, then Sinnoh and then Johto. :)

pokemon fan 132

The main problem with Johto fillers were that the plot was several times this:

Ash & Co. meet Cotd X.
Cotd X needs help from them.
Ash & Co. start helping Cotd X.
TR comes and ruins whatever Cotd X wants/needs.
Pikachu Tbolts Tr who blast off again.
Cotd X finally achieves his dream/goal.
They live happily ever after.

Arguably ill say Johto episodes contained more emotions to it imo than DP ones. We had several ones where characters experienced breakdown or tragic incident occurred. Such as "Ignorance is Blissey"showing us sad, touching backstory of Jessie trying to become pokemon nurse. "For Crying Out Loud"where Misty saved Marill life developing strong bond with it with sad heart having to let it go. "Joy of water pokemon " where Misty burst into tears when nurse Joy crushed her childhood dream of examining water types. "Bulbasaur Ambassador" where Bulbasaur tried to saved Oddish almost getting killed. "Charizard Chills" where Ash send Charizard to special training etc, etc.

And of course who can forget "Gotta Catch YA Later" which was one of saddest and most emotional episodes ever in my opinion, being saddening to see group which passed through so many things together becoming great friends having to split up.

Of course that JOhto had episodes you mentioned following formula of helping COTD about their problems, but honestly so did AG, DP, BW and even Kanto.

There were many episodes which didn't followed this pattern breaking out of mold such as: "Ring Masters" where Ash Snorlax fight Feraligator in sumo match winning first place, "Unbearable" where we had evil Teddiursa stealing pokemon food with Misty being guillible falling for its charm, "Sick Daze" where Ash and Misty had to do Brock chores when he was sick revealing how they are terrible cooks and rather disorganized showing how desperately they were dependent on Brock.

Mini competitions like one about extinguishing fire where Ash participated using Misty pokemon with Psyduck ruining everything, "Bug catching contest" which granted wasn't any special but Misty interactions and panic fear from bugs hitting everything left and right making episode worthwhile. Etc, etc.

And out of those which revolved around helping COTD good chunk was actually interesting imo. Like one where Ash Heracross battled Scizor, or Bulbasaur battling Hitmontop. One where Misty argued with fire trainer Egan due to her Poliwhirl failing in defeating Macargo, revealing why she likes water types giving her some good growth in character sense etc.

Looking back i actually think Johto had several memorable, interesting episodes which contained development for main characters and TR having more to it than just gyms and league with people often overlooking it focusing mainly on bad sides.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
^ And all of the whining and *****ing (mostly as far as Paul was concerned) didn't help, either.

Ah, Gotta Catch Ya Later, Ash's last episode as a character.

LizardonX

Banned
I think Hoenn fillers were good too, just not (in my opinion) Kanto good.

Kanto in my opinion had the best fillers, then Unova tied with Hoenn, then Sinnoh and then Johto. :)

I would rank sinnoh fillers with the same as hoenn since they were functionally the same.

moneylesswario

Gone But Not Forgotten
The same plot over and over again is executed well?

There are differences between each filler. Try looking at them as standalone episodes.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Pokemon? Emotional?

Please tell me you're joking. Pokemon has the emotional range of a teaspoon. It's the same overdone stuff in any other run of the mill anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.