• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darthlord7

The Smug Pikachu
Unpopular Opinion:I like SM Ash without his hat more than the other series,maybe because the way the animators have designed his hair in SM series.

Also:
Why do we have to shoehorn Ash-Greninja in every discussion?

Unpopular Opinion:I like SM Ash without his hat more than the other series,maybe because the way the animators have designed his hair in SM series.

Also:

A) I actually kind of do too!
B) because in this specific instance nobody knows whether it's an unpopular opinion or not.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Did you even watch XY047? Greninja was shown in its normal form in that episode, destroying the vines. It can probably switch between its normal and Ash-Greninja form.
Did you read my post? It's called an opinion. I didn't say it was true, I said that I'd rather if Greninja was stuck in its Ash Greninja form not that it is. And no, I don't need you pointing me to your distorted "right facts". U_U My post had absolutely nothing to do with Mal, it was an individual thought.

I like this as well and just seeing him do everyday things.

Controversial character.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Did you read my post? It's called an opinion. I didn't say it was true, I said that I'd rather if Greninja was stuck in its Ash Greninja form not that it is. And no, I don't need you pointing me to your distorted "right facts". U_U My post had absolutely nothing to do with Mal, it was an individual thought.
Then what did you mean by these lines(bolded part)?
I'd rather have Ash's Greninja stuck in Ash Greninja form no longer being able to go back to its base form due to a BS reason which also allowed Ash to not feel any pain. How will Greninja be able to keep its form long distanced from the only one who can transform with it and for a long period of time? Zygarde's power?

After reading those lines(bolded part), I thought that you're thinking Greninja is stuck in its Ash-Greninja form. And I believe that after reading those lines, it's quite natural for someone to think that. So I just wanted to point out the right fact that in XY&Z047, Greninja was shown in its base Greninja form. This is no distorted right fact I believe. And someone questioned above why the Ash-Greninja discussion keeps being brought up, so I just said that I replied to Maldread's response (in a different post). I know that your post has nothing to do with it.

After reading those lines(bolded part), I thought that you're thinking Greninja is stuck in its Ash-Greninja form. And I believe that after reading those lines, it's quite natural for someone to think that. So I just wanted to point out the right fact that in XY&Z047, Greninja was shown in its base Greninja form. This is no distorted right fact I believe. And someone questioned above why the Ash-Greninja discussion keeps being brought up, so I just said that I replied to Maldread's response (in a different post). I know that your post has nothing to do with it.

Please can we stop bringing the whole Ash-Greninja thing up? It's taking over the whole thread.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!

I agree! I really like the way the animators and character designer(s) designed Ash's hair, so I really like those scenes where we see him without his hat. Thankfully, we are getting plenty of those! :D

I'm also getting tired of Ash-Greninja taking over this thread, but I do at least want to respond to this:

Greninja can only sense the vines/the remaining parts of the Megalith Zygarde only as Ash-Greninja not as Greninja. It could sense Chespie location most probably because of the same reason. So yes, the special ability of sensing the Megalith Zygarde, I think, is definitely related to bond phenomenon. Greninja can only do that as Ash-Greninja.

Where was it ever stated that Greninja could only sense the negative energy vines as Ash-Greninja? It emerged from its Pokéball as regular Greninja when it sensed the negative energy. Also, as you yourself pointed out, it was a regular Greninja when it was slashing up vines in the last episode. That pretty much implies that Greninja's ability to sense the negative energy is not dependent upon it being in the Ash-Greninja form.

There. I'm done.

satopi

Unpopular opinion: Masaomi should've appeared more and evolved from his CoTD status.

Well I don't believe Greninja is stuck in its Ash Greninja form but I'd rather it did. Those questions wasn't meant to be debated on. I'm done talking about it.

Unpopular opinion: Masaomi should've appeared more and evolved from his CoTD status.

Well I don't believe Greninja is stuck in its Ash Greninja form but I'd rather it did. Those questions wasn't meant to be debated on. I'm done talking about it.

Although I haven't seen his episodes, I really like his design and from the Bulbapedia description he has a cool personality. Unfortunately, there are so many CotDs/one-shot characters that deserve more screentime.

satopi

Although I haven't seen his episodes, I really like his design and from the Bulbapedia description he has a cool personality. Unfortunately, there are so many CotDs/one-shot characters that deserve more screentime.
I know. He gave Stephan a run for his money and gave him a good match. At least we got an avatar dedicated to him.

DatsRight

Okay, here it goes.

I think the Flare arc was kinda mediocre.

The animation was okay, but Flare's adaption was meh. Their characterisations were dumbed down just to be another generically shadowy and evil threat like the other villain teams became (which seemed dumber in this case because the whole joke was the stylish Flare grunts looking stupid rather than sinister, hence the name FLARE). They spent the whole of XYZ teasing them while barely ever showing as much as Game Of Thrones with it's dragons (more hype train antics from that damn season).

When it finally came....well it was okay. It was dynamic and nicely animated, but not amazing after all that. Alain had about two minutes of his actions sinking in and his turn felt kind of underwhelming. Ash was allowed to just be in generic 'You suck villain' mode because Lysandre was more outwardly evil in this adaption, and the last half of the plot was utterly reliant on Z2 stalling so him and Squishy couldn't curb stomp the entire dilemma in about ten seconds. Aside from a bit of badassery from TR and Clemont vs Xerosic (both of which were mostly offscreen), not a lot of other development felt met, Serena in particular didn't feel accomplished in looking out for Manon since her whole part was practically a shaggy dog story and even for that she was carried and protected the whole journey herself. Greninja wasn't really THAT important. Okay Bonnie sung that damn song to Squishy to save everything as well.

The Xerosic episode felt mindlessly rushed and underwhelming in emotion. I can understand fans displeasure in how Greninja left since it almost felt shoehorned in with no buildup, like they the writers were so pleased and assured the big Flare arc would be a killer that they forgot till last second to wrap up the character arc properly.

It was just another bit of spectacle over substance to me, something that was decent enough, but didn't make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the season that likely came from hyping it so much, and I wasn't even that bothered about the league results before it.

Last edited:

satopi

Okay, here it goes.

I think the Flare arc was kinda mediocre.

The animation was okay, but Flare's adaption was meh. Their characterisations were dumbed down just to be another generically shadowy and evil threat like the other villain teams became (which seemed dumber in this case because the whole joke was the stylish Flare grunts looking stupid rather than sinister, hence the name FLARE). They spent the whole of XYZ teasing them while barely ever showing as much as Game Of Thrones with it's dragons (more hype train antics from that damn season).
The animation was fantastic especially in some scenes where you can feel the most heart was put into it (Alan's breakdown, Clemont saying goodbye to Clembot, inside the Megalithe, Zygarde 100% attacks.) I agree that the characterizations were dumbed down (like all the other characters when the XY group stepped in the picture). I wished the Flare Grunts said something silly about their uniforms being stylish. :( At least they did pose a threat but the Admins barely did anything.

When it finally came....well it was okay. It was dynamic and nicely animated, but not amazing after all that. Alain had about two minutes of his actions sinking in and his turn felt kind of underwhelming. Ash was allowed to just be in generic 'You suck villain' mode because Lysandre was more outwardly evil in this adaption,
All of THIS!! ^^^^ Despite Alan still having a conscious, his turn was really underwhelming (I mean really? He's magically seen the light by encouraging words said by a random boy who don't know him.) The moment where everything sunk in to him being responsible was magnificent but the impact would've been more powerful and significant if it came from the one person he hurt the most and tried so hard to protect (Manon) which would've resolved their drama and the reunion would've been more bittersweet.

and the last half of the plot was utterly reliant on Z2 stalling so him and Squishy couldn't curb stomp the entire dilemma in about ten seconds. Aside from a bit of badassery from TR and Clemont vs Xerosic (both of which were mostly offscreen), not a lot of other development felt met, Serena in particular didn't feel accomplished in looking out for Manon since her whole part was practically a shaggy dog story and even for that she was carried and protected the whole journey herself. Greninja wasn't really THAT important. Okay Bonnie sung that damn song to Squishy to save everything as well.
Right, it's like they thought their battles weren't as important as the Lysandre boss battle. I actually hated on how weak they portrayed Manon as like she needs to have her hand held from one of the girls her age just to know everything was okay despite being shown to hold her own. If she wanted to rescue Hari san or was that worried about him, it would've been better to ask Serena to help her out and she could've used her Fla chan on something. :/ And then they both kept getting rescued every time they were in a pinch (TR, Champion Daigo, Ash & Alan). Then Serena only got a very small bad*** moment, it's like they wanted to show the XY Group as amazingly awesome while shelving the ones that should've had a big part as they were involved. We were baited into thinking Greninja would have a big role but alas, it did do something of importance even though it was subtle. I also really liked the scene where Bonnie sung out to Puni chan and Z2 learning that humans are worth saving.

The Xerosic episode felt mindlessly rushed and underwhelming in emotion. I can understand fans displeasure in how Greninja left since it almost felt shoehorned in with no buildup, like they the writers were so pleased and assured the big Flare arc would be a killer that they forgot till last second to wrap up the character arc properly.

It was just another bit of spectacle over substance to me, something that was decent enough, but didn't make up for the mediocrity of the rest of the season that likely came from hyping it so much, and I wasn't even that bothered about the league results before it.
It could've had some foreshadowing beforehand but I guess it was an oversight a.k.a. they forgot or had no time. I thought the final boss battle was mediocre I mean the battle with Pyroar was mostly off screen and it should've been Alan to be the one to defeat Lysandre instead of both Ash and Alan. Or at it could've been done differently like Lysandre basically said some in game dialogue before the battle ("You will be destroyed alongside this world for not seeing how beautiful it is"), he could've guilt tripped Alan more like remind him who gave him his source of power (the Mega Stone/Ring) and how he's the one who carried out their plans without any care, he's the one who knew full knowledge of Team Flare's intentions, and is just as guilty so there's no one to blame but himself. Team Flare members usually do go back to their normal jobs after the disbandment & their punishment so I'm not upset about the aftermath. No one really cares about the results of the Kalos League anymore but they could've been creative with it like we have.

DatsRight

Alain's realisation felt so rushed along, they really don't like looking into grey morality. With Lsyandre's game persona they would have had the realisation a villain wasn't just walking evil and sadism and could even have something of a point. Too complex for them. Ash can't bring down a villain he can't tell to suck it. With Alain being just a pawn to a nastier Lsyandre they could just quickly skim through and have a change of sides and badass moments and happy endings. It felt like they had made it more cookie cutter.

I felt more for Shauna (who for ages had strived to be helpful and didn't seem the most insightful girl) trying to convince Lsyandre that the world was redeemable over Ash (at his most generically unstoppable) doing another generic battle with a generic 'stop you' speech against a generic villain. Oh and Shauna had to get the boot too of course.

Even Alain's manner felt underwhelming by the fact he didn't interrupt Ash's capture at all, which was meant to be the big cathartic breakthrough moment, they only let him turn after he freed himself, which didn't really have the same effect. For a guy they wanted to base off of Anakin Skywalker, they really trimmed off all the fine details.

I remember this being the same problem with the Goodra arc. Forcing in Team Rocket felt like a short cut past the excess (especially since it wasn't foreshadowed anywhere and didn't even fully make sense). We didn't even get that brief emotional moment of remorse from Florges that Alain had. Hell they even had to make Team Rocket ten times eviller just to be totally safe. Total black and white morality to a grey plot line.

Villains must either be irredeemable, turn good or be Team Rocket.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Even Alain's manner felt underwhelming by the fact he didn't interrupt Ash's capture at all, which was meant to be the big cathartic breakthrough moment, they only let him turn after he freed himself, which didn't really have the same effect. For a guy they wanted to base off of Anakin Skywalker, they really trimmed off all the fine details.

I would have liked to get some insight into what Alain was thinking or feeling at that moment. The Team Flare admins more or less threatened Alain with Mairin and Chespie. While it was implied (or, at least, I thought it was implied) that that's why Alain stood there and did nothing while the admins knocked out Ash, his manner would have been less underwhelming if he had muttered to himself that this was all for Mairin and Chespie's sake.

satopi

I would have liked to get some insight into what Alain was thinking or feeling at that moment. The Team Flare admins more or less threatened Alain with Mairin and Chespie. While it was implied (or, at least, I thought it was implied) that that's why Alain stood there and did nothing while the admins knocked out Ash, his manner would have been less underwhelming if he had muttered to himself that this was all for Mairin and Chespie's sake.
Yeah I expected more from Alan's "betrayal". He should've made it clear to Ash which side he was on (and it's not like the kid knew him to begin with...) instead of just standing looking guilty while Ash is oblivious because he sees Alan as always good and Team Flare, always evil instead of in between or the complex details. He should've knocked him out like everyone wanted him to. It was shown in the opening that Alan was siding with Team Flare and go against Ash and co but I guess that's too complex and morally grey.

It was even worse when Alan was in the plane with Team Flare and Ash's unconscious body feeling like it's wrong. Why show remorse now when he never did in the past. He was often rude with people of higher rank (interrupting Zumi & Daigo while they were busy and expecting them to drop everything just for a battle), always blunt towards Manon, and kept Platane in the dark just because of orders or "protecting the professor". He was inconsiderate of others and always listened to the boss's orders without question for the greater good, so why would he speak against it now? He had a lot to lose, or well, already was going to but he wasn't like that when he snapped at Ash before defeating him in the Kalos League.

Last edited:

Charizard-Fan

Star Wars fan
-I think Ash's Snorlax is stronger than Ash's Sceptile or Infernape

-I consider Flint's Infernape a Champion level Pokemon. It put up a pretty good fight against Cynthia's Garchomp and it did that after defeating 2 of Cynthia's Pokemon, which makes me to believe that Flint's Infernape could very well be as strong as Garchomp or even better.

-I think Alain's Charizard is a lot more powerful than Ash Greninja. I'm not quite sure if this is an unpopular opinion, though.

-I didn't mind pity badges in Kanto at all, though I don't want to see something like that again.

DatsRight

-I didn't mind pity badges in Kanto at all, though I don't want to see something like that again.

It did help that:

1. In Kanto there tended to more focus on zany adventures than the leagues and contests/etc arcs making a character more significant.

2. Ash usually still had to do something rather impressive to get those 'pity badges' (eg. saving Gloom from a fire, un-hexing Sabrina).

I liked Ash's character design in SM.

Same. I actually wasn't that big on Ash's XY character design. Looked a bit too over the top masculine.

XY as a whole is vastly overrated. In my opinion, it's the worst Pokémon series yet. Boring episodes, boring characters, just...boring.

XY Ash was by far the worst iteration of him ever. Yeah, he's a competent battler. But he's so dull and not relatable at all. Having everyone worship him was weird. Him never making any mistakes was eye roll worthy. Ash is my favorite character, but I could not stand him in XY.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
XY as a whole is vastly overrated. In my opinion, it's the worst Pokémon series yet. Boring episodes, boring characters, just...boring.

XY Ash was by far the worst iteration of him ever. Yeah, he's a competent battler. But he's so dull and not relatable at all. Having everyone worship him was weird. Him never making any mistakes was eye roll worthy. Ash is my favorite character, but I could not stand him in XY.

Shh, you're not allowed to say this (it's also a somewhat common opinion nowadays).

Bonnie was cool (whether that's because she's great by herself or everyone else sets the bar too low that's for you to decide).

Status
Not open for further replies.