• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
The thing I don't like about the SM outfit is that they just took the in-game player character's clothes. Like, everything except for the hat being red is identical. There's no original flair.

On that note, I think the AG look is top tier.

The people who like XY and XYZ are generally the younger generation, Serebii is full of old people and genwunners.

Not saying this is everyone, but it may be a lot of people...

The reason why everyone apparently likes SM Ash is, Because he looks like a buffoon and has no style

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
The people who like XY and XYZ are generally the younger generation, Serebii is full of old people and genwunners.

The reason why everyone apparently likes SM Ash is, Because he looks like a buffoon and has no style

That is probably the reason I like XY Ash and hate SM Ash(at least in terms of design and attitude).

I'm always believe that being mature, badass and competent>>>>>>>being goofy, naive and idiotic.

@Mrs Oreo- I'm glad that you mostly agree with me, actually I was a bit confused whether to place BW ahead or OS ahead.

Last edited:

Ash-Pikachu

I'm also not fond of his goofy and aberrant design. I can understand how it would allow flexibility for the writers, but such a radical change can be disconcerting for many, including me. Even my friends detest the new design. I'm not disinclined to watching it, but I likely will be annoyed initially since the character that I grew up with has finally done a complete 360 and doesn't seem to be the same character that I cherished previously. I'll still watch it and will likely enjoy it, but it's just unsettling.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I'm also not fond of his goofy and aberrant design. I can understand how it would allow flexibility for the writers, but such a radical change can be disconcerting for many, including me. Even my friends detest the new design. I'm not disinclined to watching it, but I likely will be annoyed initially since the character that I grew up with has finally done a complete 360 and doesn't seem to be the same character that I cherished previously. I'll still watch it and will likely enjoy it, but it's just unsettling.

Same here. I liked XY Ash the most- cool, smart, handsome looking, typical shonen style, mature, badass and competent- he was so admirable. Now in SM, his design has changed so drastically and horribly, he looks completely like an idiot, goofy and naive, completely unlike the character I liked so much. I was very upset at first after seeing this for a month or two, but now I've gotten used to it and enjoying SM as much as I can. After all, I've been emotionally invested a lot in this Pokemon Anime, so I can't quit watching it xD.

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
Is it an unpopular opinion to not have a preference on which Ash design is best and to instead prefer bits and pieces of each design? :p

IMHO, Ash looks better in more form-fitting clothes, rather than baggy clothes. So, for that reason, his AG and BW outfits don't appeal to me as much, even though I like the overall designs of those outfits. His DP outfit looks good on him, but I'm not too keen on the black top; I think he looks better in brighter-colored tops, to contrast his black hair. I don't really like his AG and DP hats; the designs are fine, but I prefer hats that are either mostly red, like XY and SM, or red and white, like OS and BW--again, to better contrast with his black hair. (At the moment, it's a tie between his OS hat and his SM hat for my favorite hat.)

When it comes to the design of Ash's face and hair, there are aspects of each design that I like. I like the BW/XY/SM eyes; I like the XY sideburns; I like the more greatly detailed SM hair; and I like the OS/AG/DP cheek marks. I do like that his eyes are slightly smaller in SM--they had a tendency to sometimes overwhelm his face before--but I don't really have a preference for one or the other.

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
Eh, it's kind of one of those things that depends on where you go/who you talk to. Some people like fillers, some people don't care for anything that doesn't expand the overall plot, and some people couldn't care less about either, which can make it very hard to tell whether it's unpopular or not. ;)
Alright, you got me. xD

The thing I don't like about the SM outfit is that they just took the in-game player character's clothes. Like, everything except for the hat being red is identical. There's no original flair.

On that note, I think the AG look is top tier.
Well Ash has always been modeled design wise with the male player character. It was the same with XY when they based his outfit off of Calem but they gave him gloves and Red's hat, same with OS where his outfit based on Red, and same with SM when they based his outfit off Sun. If we're going by original designs, it'll be AG, DP, and BW. (well you could argue OS as well as they're different colors but mostly the same outfit) I think they did sort of change Ash's striped shirt but I like it on how it's different from his other saga outfits. He could've gotten better shoes lol.

What is considered "old people" to you? If you consider "old" as people ranging from their mid teens to mid 20's as old then you must be 10-13 years old. :p And I don't know why you continue to bring up XY(&Z) randomly when no one's really talking about it. Not everyone here are genwunners despite growing up on it, all the sagas has been aimed at the same audience and there are plenty of people here who enjoyed aspects of XY(&Z) but aren't afraid of pointing out its flaws. Criticism =/ Hatred

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I frankly never understood why the community at large (aka youtube comments and some forumites) seems to base Ash's battle competence with his art work. It makes no sense. Should be actually be watching battles to determine battle competence? Really, it's like evaluating a math teacher based off their ability to breath water.

Before anyone takes my seriously on my last post...

Everything I said is 100% true

In all fairness, the people who liked AG, DP and XY/Z are probably people who like a powerful and competent Ash.

I don't understand why people want him to be goofy, he's went through 6 regions and he can't be OP? That's extremely stupid. Anyone who says that Ash should not be OP, cannot look cool, has to be funny, and has to be constantly degraded and set aside for other characters doesn't realize that Ash should be OP every season after DP.

And I was joking in the last post, but I am being serious about the rest. The kid has gone through 6 regions and legendaries, villains, leagues...He should be OP.

Yes Sato, I'm totally 10-13, let me play with my NERF guns! YAYYYY PEWEWEWW!

UN Owen, I'm not saying that at all. I didn't like DP Ash's design, but I still thought he was OP

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I frankly never understood why the community at large (aka youtube comments and some forumites) seems to base Ash's battle competence with his art work. It makes no sense. Should be actually be watching battles to determine battle competence? Really, it's like evaluating a math teacher based off their ability to breath water.

I wonder the same thing. A character's design does not always correlate to or is indicative of his or her competence or skill level. Sometimes, a character's design is just to fit with the rest of the series. Ash's SM design fits with the rest of the SM cast. It hasn't been an indication of his competence or skill level as a Trainer.

I don't understand why people want him to be goofy, he's went through 6 regions and he can't be OP? That's extremely stupid. Anyone who says that Ash should not be OP, cannot look cool, has to be funny, and has to be constantly degraded and set aside for other characters doesn't realize that Ash should be OP every season after DP.

That is your opinion; everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. Some people want an OP, bad*** Ash, some people want a goofy Ash, and some people want both. Personally, I like a balanced mix of both--an Ash who is competent and bad*** in battle, yet still acts like the easily excitable young boy he has always been (whether "easily excitable" = "goofy" is a matter of personal opinion).

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

OP is a skill trait, not a personality trait. He can have the personality of Patrick Star and be OP.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I know that design=/=competence. But looks give an impression. Looking at XY Ash, it seems like this looks really competent, this guy has fire in his eyes, this guy looks like he has the drive to be the best. While looking at SM Ash, if seems like that, meh, this guy looks like a noob, an idiot. But well, I won't deny that SM Ash has really shown competence in terms of battling.

Before anyone takes my seriously on my last post...

Everything I said is 100% true

In all fairness, the people who liked AG, DP and XY/Z are probably people who like a powerful and competent Ash.

And I was joking in the last post, but I am being serious about the rest. The kid has gone through 6 regions and legendaries, villains, leagues...He should be OP.

Yes Sato, I'm totally 10-13, let me play with my NERF guns! YAYYYY PEWEWEWW!

Yes, that's the point. What is wrong in being mature and competent? Ash has travelled through six regions, what is wrong if he shows maturity and competence in a series? I'd say that I would admire it very much.

Last edited:
I wonder the same thing. A character's design does not always correlate or is indicative of his or her competence or skill level. Sometimes, a character's design is just to fit with the rest of the series. Ash's SM design fits with the rest of the SM cast. It hasn't been an indication of his competence or skill level as a Trainer.

That is your opinion; everyone has and is entitled to their own opinion. Some people want an OP, bad*** Ash, and other people want a goofy Ash. Personally, I like a balanced mix of both--an Ash who is competent and bad*** in battle, yet still acts like the easily excitable young boy he has always been (whether "easily excitable" = "goofy" is a matter of personal opinion).

He can be goofy and crack jokes, but I still want him to be strong, dependable, powerful, in command...

I actually have little problems with Ash is SM, except for two facts:

He looks like a freaking knucklehead! He has no face at all! People are saying that is expressive, how is that expressive? Have you seen those squiggles on his cheeks? THEY LOOK LIKE LITTLE WIGGLY LINES!Basically, SM artwork doesn't look real. The animation is on point though, no argument there.

Second one is that this anime seems overly too much slapstick and comedy.

He can have the personality of Patrick Star and be OP.

I love Patrick, I still watch the show, but you want Ash to be like that? To bumble around, trip over things, and live under a rock? This goes to my original point, he can still be funny, he CAN"T be an idiot.

Everything else is fine though

Last edited:

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
We might as well name this the "Opinions Thread" seeing that anyone with an unpopular opinion is getting deep throated about their opinion.
When it comes to the design of Ash's face and hair, there are aspects of each design that I like. I like the BW/XY/SM eyes; I like the XY sideburns; I like the more greatly detailed SM hair; and I like the OS/AG/DP cheek marks. I do like that his eyes are slightly smaller in SM--they had a tendency to sometimes overwhelm his face before--but I don't really have a preference for one or the other.
I think I miss the eye shape they changed from OS-DP but BW eyes were a bit too big at one time but gradually went back to normal. I like it that they kept his brown colored eyes. Yeah it was great having to see his eye turn brown whenever he was emotional but his natural eye color compliments him. Same as when his skin tone gotten tanner throughout each saga. I never saw any difference in his cheekmarks in either saga aside from SM. I prefer his eyes being normal sized in SM but a sharper face shape (and I guess eyebrows?).

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

I love Patrick, I still watch the show, but you want Ash to be like that? To bumble around, trip over things, and live under a rock? This goes to my original point, he can still be funny, he CAN"T be an idiot.

Everything else is fine though

Since you cut the first part of the statement, I'm going to assume you've read it. OP is a skill trait, not a character trait was the point of the post.

I know that design=/=competence. But looks give an impression. Looking at XY Ash, it seems like this looks really competent, this guy has fire in his eyes, this guy looks like he has the drive to be the best. While looking at SM Ash, if seems like that, meh, this guy looks like a noob, an idiot. But well, I won't deny that SM Ash has really shown competence in terms of battling.

To refute his point, Jeri Kato (Digimon Tamers) looks like a happy nice girl, but that's defninately not the case. Looks are the surface. Try to dig deeper into the character's mind. She doesn't become the nice happy girl until the freaking ending.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
We might as well name this the "Opinions Thread" seeing that anyone with an unpopular opinion is getting deep throated about their opinion.

This is the best thing I've read today (it's like 3am but nothing's going to top it).

I think I miss the eye shape they changed from OS-DP but BW eyes were a bit too big at one time but gradually went back to normal. I like it that they kept his brown colored eyes. Yeah it was great having to see his eye turn brown whenever he was emotional but his natural eye color compliments him. Same as when his skin tone gotten tanner throughout each saga. I never saw any difference in his cheekmarks in either saga aside from SM. I prefer his eyes being normal sized in SM but a sharper face shape (and I guess eyebrows?).

There might be kids reading...

Apparently, debating is outlawed in a debating and talking forum...If I disagree with an opinion, I'm sure as heck going to debate against it and ask why you think that and put my on thoughts in.

Maybe I should start putting IMO in every post again, would that please you?

Since you cut the first part of the statement, I'm going to assume you've read it. OP is a skill trait, not a character trait was the point of the post.

I did read it and I agree, but...That doesn't mean Ash is supposed to just be OP in battles or just be goofy when he is not in battles. That just defeats the purpose.

Last edited:

Soniman

Break the Limit

Ash looked 'cool' in XYart and and behold hes hyper competent

Ash looked 'goofy' in BW art and shocker hes goofy in series proper

just saying, theres some precedent for that

Status
Not open for further replies.