• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epicocity

I can't speak for Alain's treatment in fanfiction by you or others since it's been a while since I've really read any besides the bigger names like Challenger (one too many badly written betrayed Ash story desensitized me for a while), but at one point there were a lot of stories I saw that had Tobias turned into some sort of one-dimensional villain. I imagine Alain is getting similar treatment these days.

Vilify as in the OOC brand. I don't mind portraying people as wrong or antagonists, but I do object to complete derailings. I read one FF that made Misty into a genocidal loon in league with Team Flare because she disliked the notion of pokemon-human shippings. It doesn't make her seem like an antagonist, but as a means to character shill the protagonist into a bigger Marty Stu.

In other words you don't want to see them turn into soulless abominations that they are not. Yeah, that's hardly an unpopular opinion, at least in the realm of stories and authors I'm a part of. Actually, I don't think I've seen a single...well, at least Amour story, that turns Alain into that kind of individual. But I think most people hate characters being turned OOC for no reason other than "I hate this character".

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
In other words you don't want to see them turn into soulless abominations that they are not. Yeah, that's hardly an unpopular opinion, at least in the realm of stories and authors I'm a part of. Actually, I don't think I've seen a single...well, at least Amour story, that turns Alain into that kind of individual. But I think most people hate characters being turned OOC for no reason other than "I hate this character".

Like I said, I'm fine with characters being antagonistic so long as it's done with tact. I merely dislike complete heel turns with no explanation.

As for another opinion in the Used to be about Unpopular Opinions Thread, I don't hate idea of characters being leaders or mentors of the group, but we need to show those leaders and mentors failing more often than naught.

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I also have a habit of reading fanfictions. I have read quite some fanfictions where Ash is mature and a badass and a character, very consistent in winning battles and Leagues and at the same time very close in bond with his Pokemon and friends and goes great lengths to save them. Basically Ash's XY character traits with even more competence in battles. And Amourshipping are also a main part of those fanfics with Serena seeing Ash as the crush and inspiration of her life, just like the Anime. Basically they are a rewrite of Ash's journey as a Pokemon trainer. I personally consider some of those fanfics as my personal headcanon.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I also have a habit of reading fanfictions. I have read quite some fanfictions where Ash is mature and a badass and a character, very consistent in winning battles and Leagues and at the same time very close in bond with his Pokemon and friends and goes great lengths to save them. Basically Ash's XY character traits with even more competence in battles. And Amourshipping are also a main part of those fanfics with Serena seeing Ash as the crush and inspiration of her life, just like the Anime. Basically they are a rewrite of Ash's journey as a Pokemon trainer. I personally consider some of those fanfics as my personal headcanon.

I kind of have to disagree with you on this one. Fanfiction should not be a love letter to a character. Of the first three chapters I've read of Pokemon Master Emergence, I dislike it because it doesn't show a human Ash, rather than a pseudo shine to a character.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
I kind of have to disagree with you on this one. Fanfiction should not be a love letter to a character. Of the first three chapters I've read of Pokemon Master Emergence, I dislike it because it doesn't show a human Ash, rather than a pseudo shine to a character.

Ah I see. I read the same series of Fanfictions- Pokemon Master Premises, Pokemon Master Emergence, and Pokemon Master Odyssey. I just love those. You don't like those, it's fine, but I'm just telling that it's that kind of fanfcs which I like the most.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic

Basically, let's screw what's actually canon in the anime and pretend that fan ideas suddenly matter more. :rolleyes:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
It's less "book by the cover" and more like insane troll logic where we wild mass guess someone's battling competence by looks. I still don't get how the softer lines would make someone's brain jump to total reset.

This right here. People were judging Ash's battle competence based solely on the art style of the poster. He had a goofy grin on his face and was doing a Z-move pose, and people immediately assumed he was being reset. A series's art style is not indicative of a character's skill level.

The hate started with the poster. There was nonstop hate on the saga when we got the slightest bit of information for it. I really don't see the "hate" that XY(&Z) is getting. Just because 5 or so users dislike parts of it, it doesn't mean everyone in the whole site dislike it. BW and Iris fans are still dealing with the hate that comes with something that they like and it's definitely more.

Yes, the SM hate started with the first poster, and then it got worse after the first trailer was revealed. Not to pick on anyone in particular, but I think the apparent XY(&Z) "hate" is in part because the people who aren't as fond of XY(&Z) are currently more vocal than the people who love it.

Yes, agreed 100℅. What is wrong in Ash being mature and competent? There's nothing wrong, I just love that. The show has been going on for too long and Ash needs to mature, he needs to grow up as a character rather than always acting like a kid like he is doing in SM.

Ash sometimes acted like a kid in XY, too. Perhaps not as often as he has in SM, but kid Ash was still there. His mature side was more prominent in XY&Z, and IMHO, that might have had to do with the "environment" (for lack of a better word) in which Ash found himself. As the series took a more serious turn--Ash struggling to master the Ash-Greninja form; Squishy and Team Flare; Ash's depression arc after losing to Sawyer and Wulfric--so did Ash's character.

For all we know, SM Ash may start to calm down and act more mature once a certain storyline from the games kicks in (assuming, of course, that said storyline gets adapted into the anime) and the "environment" darkens. Right now, he is still in the "OMG NEW STUFF!!" phase.

Yes, the SM hate started with the first poster, and then it got worse after the first trailer was revealed. Not to pick on anyone in particular, but I think the apparent XY(&Z) "hate" is in part because the people who aren't as fond of XY(&Z) are currently more vocal than the people who love it.

This. We've disappeared

I do agree with you on the other stuff as well

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
People really shouldn't mix fanfiction with canon. It's things that never happened but some users seem to forget that. ^^

Or fans who like it but can recognize their flaws. But I guess there's haters on the inside. :/

Last edited:

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
People really shouldn't mix fanfiction with canon. It's things that never happened but some users seem to forget that. ^^

Or fans who like it but can recognize their flaws. But I guess there's haters on the inside. :/

But there's nothing wrong if some people consider some fanfictions important because they somewhat hate the direction of the Pokemon Anime, that's what I feel like.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
But there's nothing wrong if some people consider some fanfictions important because they somewhat hate the direction of the Pokemon Anime, that's what I feel like.
Yes and all I said was that to not mix fanfiction with canon (things that actually happened in the anime). Not fanfictions are a bunch of killjoys.

345ash-greninja

Auto-Memories Doll
Yes and all I said was that to not mix fanfiction with canon (things that actually happened in the anime). Not fanfictions are a bunch of killjoys.

I know that, we can read fanfictions and imagine the scenes, but we can't see them in front of our eyes. What happening in the Pokemon Anime is absolutely canon and no one can change that. I read them because they help me to get off my salt and make me feel better.

Status
Not open for further replies.