1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular opinions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Discussion' started by Captain Jigglypuff, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I dislike the term as well, but only when it's used as an easy cop out criticism of a character. It can be used correctly in many occasions though, like when people criticized Bella Swan from the Twilight franchise for being a Mary Sue: anyone who has read the books or seen the movies knows that the term is completely appropriate for a character like her.

NeedsAName likes this.
  2. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I think basing toys, tv shows, and colors on gender is extremely archaic and should not even exist. Just because something is more popular with one gender doesn’t mean that it should not be enjoyed by someone of the opposite gender. Who cares if a boy plays with a doll. The doll is a toy and being used for its intended purpose. Same with many popular cartoons and tv shows. Pokémon was originally aimed mostly towards boys but girls liked the franchise too and after a couple of years the series became more gender inclusive starting with Crystal. Young Justice was cancelled and had a cliffhanger for years and the two main reasons why were because there was a large female fan base and they weren’t selling enough toys bas3d on the series. Yeah. A really good and popular show was cancelled due to the gender of its viewers. Sailor Moon was clearly meant for little girls but you find hundreds of fanboys of the show everywhere.

3. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

The mentality of it being ok to make fun of people who are overrreacting to disappointment is just as bad as the initial overreacting

NeedsAName and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  4. MotostokeOnTrent

MotostokeOnTrent PokéJungle writer

Solo is the best Star Wars film since RotJ, though that says much more about the quality of most SW films than it does Solo.

Marvel was already tired and formulaic almost a decade ago, with the first Captain America film.

The Dark Knight Rises was deeply awful to the point of being inferior to Batman vs Superman.

The Gen 1 Pokémon designs are actually far superior to anything that has come since, and more recent designs are tainted by the 'Every Pokémon must look as though it could be your friend' ethos.

Cats was very good.

Twitter is very good.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
    Ubermuk likes this.
  5. Ubermuk

Ubermuk Sticky & Sweet

Does this even count as unpopular when most fans of the trilogy also considered it to be the worst installment lol? :p

6. WalesNote

WalesNote Well-Known Member

There's more to what makes a woman than a near-meaningless sex organ. :3

NeedsAName likes this.
  7. Redstar45

Redstar45 A POCKET MONSTERS & DIGITAL MONSTERS Fan !

It is same thing can be said for Men too other they are a hot guys from Hollywood or can't show feeling bs

NeedsAName likes this.
  8. MotostokeOnTrent

MotostokeOnTrent PokéJungle writer

Here's another: gender-swapping characters in established media is generally a bad thing. Men and women are meaningfully different, with different physical and mental characteristics that lead to different experiences and worldviews; that's why representation matters in the first instance. Gender-swapping characters is a tacit admission that you don't think men and women are meaningfully different, or that the character in question is so shallow and one-dimensional that their gender has no impact on their personality and worldview.

This only really applies to original creators of established media, and not necessarily all characters (some are one-dimensional by design). Gender-swapping can be fun on a design level, where certain visual tropes are reinterpreted, so I often enjoy such fanart.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Leonhart and NeedsAName like this.
  9. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I’m okay with gender swapping if it is during a reboot and the character is fully defined and well rounded.

NeedsAName likes this.
  10. WalesNote

WalesNote Well-Known Member

If you cannot provide logical reasons for why something is wrong, then that something isn't and cannot be wrong. Because if it was wrong, then you would be able to explain it and destroy any arguments against the case.

carterfeygo likes this.
  11. Divine Retribution

Divine Retribution Master of the freak show

This assumes the person trying to explain it is all-knowing, which obviously is not the case. There might be a perfectly valid reason why something is wrong that you are not aware of, or lack a sufficient understanding of the topic to communicate. I'd wager that this is not the case in most scenarios, but it is possible to be right for the wrong reasons, so it shouldn't be assumed that simply because a person's arguments are bad, their conclusion is automatically incorrect. I believe that is called the "fallacy fallacy".

I think a better paraphrasal of this would be "If you cannot provide reasonable arguments for why something is wrong, you should reexamine the reasons you believe it to be wrong in the first place."

12. Luthor

Luthor Well-Known Member

Even then I'd prefer a longer explanation. At this point I just don't trust the term anymore. I don't doubt it can be used correctly but with the frequency I see it misused I'd rather it be avoided completely.

Leonhart likes this.