• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The Great Divide is a very good example of how terrible the show is. The most obvious and logical solution is literally screaming in the characters’ faces and is glowing radioactive nuclear green that even Stevie Wonder could see and the writers end the episode with a lie as the solution which both teaches literally nothing and makes things even worse in the future and I’m supposed to root for these kids?! I’m sorry but everyone in that episode is a complete moron! You have the two tribes that claim to never agree with what the other one says which not only negates the feud but you have many more things that they agree with throughout the episode such as what caused the feud, leaving to avoid the fire tribe, bringing food with them, using the kids as guides, going in the same direction, etc. That’s an awful lot of agreeing for tribes that claim not wanting to ever agree with each other. Even worse is that the 1961 children’s novel The Phantom Tollbooth dealt with something similar and it had the solution that agreeing to disagree is a form of agreement that the two feuding kings couldn’t argue with that logic. So how does this cartoon solve their similar conflict? By making up a story. No telling the tribe leaders that they are both humans and that they aren’t so different from each other and should work together. No listing all the obvious agreements that they both made without realizing it. Just some weak made up story that the tribes should have realized wasn’t true given they have knowledge about their history pretty well and there never was any mention of any type of games played by the two tribes. And the main reason I keep nitpicking it is because I’m sick of how people keep talking about how “great” the show was when in fact it was poorly written and has more holes than a wheel of Swiss cheese!
You're complaining about episode 4, which is basically never mentioned again, and even the writers themselves acknowledge how terrible it was during the last episode before the finale.

@Redstar45 Yeah, well, the whole "Kill the Fire Lord" thing also bothered the hero to the point he actively refused to do it.

Last edited:

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
You're complaining about episode 4, which is basically never mentioned again, and even the writers themselves acknowledge how terrible it was during the last episode before the finale.

@Redstar45 Yeah, well, the whole "Kill the Fire Lord" thing also bothered the hero to the point he actively refused to do it.
Not that it is feel like force new power to hero and return of his old power is what bother me and i was curious about if he had to kill fire lord then what would be happened

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Not that it is feel like force new power to hero and return of his old power is what bother me and i was curious about if he had to kill fire lord then what would be happened
They could have foreshadowed it better, but it's clear that killing Ozai probably wouldn't have actually solved anything.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The Last Jedi isn't as bad as everyone says it is.

The Comics Code Authority killed the comics industry, not the 90s. The CCA effectively killed off multiple genres in comics. Ever since their establishment, based on research as sold as anti-vaccine science mind you, the comics industry is an RBMK reactor ready to melt down, which it did in the 90s. This design flaw needed the right fools to nearly blow it all up.

Stereotypes are just another archetype; however, this is not a free pass to just have that be a character's one trait, especially if it is the title character. Develop your characters better.

If you want my opinions on the "controversies" surrounding changing races of characters in adaptations:
  • If it's a musical, I don't care about the race. I want to listen to the soundtrack and I really don't give a crap about the race of the singer, just the voice.
  • If you changed the context of the original, try to explain it rather than be lazy about it.
  • Unless you're doing a foreign remake like Seven Samurai being turned into Magnificent Seven, please refrain from changing the races of works with great cultural significance. I expect the Kalevala to feature Finnish as much as I expect the Ballad of Mulan to feature Chinese actors or the Epic of Sundiata to feature West African actors.
  • The exception to the above are mythological beings. Gods, demons, monsters, and more are all exceptions.
  • The exception to the exception is in the case of major cultural significance in the real world in mythology. In Shintoism, the Goddess of the Sun, Amaterasu, was the ancestor of the Imperial Japanese Family.
  • If you play really, really loose with adaptations (Japanese Spider-Man), I really don't know what to say.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I hate almost every thing that is plaid. The only exceptions are if you are from the UK, kilts, flannel shirts, and school uniform skirts depending on the colors. Everything else plaid is just hideous. I can’t stand plaid shorts and pants and every single time I see them along with plaid coats, I just want to set them on fire! It’s just an ugly print for pants and coats.

Redstar45

I hate almost every thing that is plaid. The only exceptions are if you are from the UK, kilts, flannel shirts, and school uniform skirts depending on the colors. Everything else plaid is just hideous. I can’t stand plaid shorts and pants and every single time I see them along with plaid coats, I just want to set them on fire! It’s just an ugly print for pants and coats.
Eh ......i love wear flannel jacket ...and long-seever shirt too .....sorry but i do hate kilt too hehe

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Eh ......i love wear flannel jacket ...and long-seever shirt too .....sorry but i do hate kilt too hehe
No. I’m fine with kilts. If you wear plaid and it’s part of your heritage then I’m okay with that. It’s plaid jackets and pants that I hate the most. Plaid pants are just so ugly!

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Recently co workers of mine got into a debate over another one of my coworkers saying a certain word (he's Asian) and not being black and I fully agree with what was said.

So here goes my unpopular opinion: I think if you're not black you should not be saying the N word.

Sham

That's unpopular?
On the Internet? Probably not but his argument was basically that black people use it all the time and as long as he isn't using the hard "er" there isn't a problem. I think a lot of people are aware why non black people should say it but in real life it's a different game. To others it's a term they just call their friends and they don't racialize it.

Redstar45

I think n word should be removed from the world long time ago

Sham

I think n word should be removed from the world long time ago
I understand why it's not; it reclaiming a word that was used for hatred and now used for endearment (towards each other).

Redstar45

I understand why it's not; it reclaiming a word that was used for hatred and now used for endearment (towards each other).
Yeah but it getting less interested as time go on and franky it sort held black back bit

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Don't know how many unpopular opinions I have, but here goes.

Overrated is an overused term. Something can be well liked because it's good and makes people happy.
I hate the customary system. Even in America, I think it just makes things more annoying.
I have my own favorite Youtubers, but I hate how Youtubers opinions are treated as more superior to other people's opinions.
"Genwunners" are fine when they don't endlessly complain on the Internet. I have a friend who only likes the first Gen of Pokemon.
I hate how people act like that America is the best country bar none. We really need to fix our problems.
-That isn't to say there aren't things that are good about America. I appreciate the diversity of people and cultures.
Islamophobia gets into racism territory. If someone looks and talks like a Muslim, then they will probably still be discriminated against.
Global warming is an extensional threat and should be a big priority with America and the World.
People need to stop saying that they could beat Ash in a Pokemon battle. The show is meant for kids as sort of a introduction to Pokemon.
-It's not like Ash EV trains his Pokemon, or selects good natures or IVs.
Not everyone needs to be into science, but if you make a argument about science, then you need to back it up with science.
I can't stand the extreme polar sides of the religious spectrum. You can be very religious or an atheist, but don't be rude.
Certain video games get way too much hate. I would vouch that Paper Mario: Color Splash was actually a good game.
I hate the idea that wearing something skimpy makes someone look more attractive.

I'm sure some of these aren't necessarily unpopular, but I thought I would spitball these.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
For context, we were in a debate today for our modern issues class and the topics were if you should be required to give respect to people like the President or the army simply because they have power & should kneeling during the anthem be a crime.

I don’t think you should be expected to give respect to someone based on their age or position. Getting respect by intimidation or some superiority complex isn’t actual respect.

For the second, I think this is the most absurd thing to get upset over.

U.N. Owen

I can't stand the extreme polar sides of the religious spectrum. You can be very religious or an atheist, but don't be rude.

While we've talked religious fanatics and their idiocy (anti-vax) until we've blue in the facr, I can't stand how New Atheists like to peddle how they're superior and rational since they use science to prove their conclusions. It's gotten to a point where my boss, the bio-stats and experiment design professor, has us spend time on teaching stats to the freshmen and how science only rejects explanations. Science doesn't prove anything because it's observer dependent. You would need a perfect observer to say you proved anything.

I will never understand America's love of standardized testing. It's an archaic model which seeks to inhibit learning rather than foster it.

Last edited:

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Science doesn't prove anything because it's observer dependent. You would need a perfect observer to say you proved anything.
The idea of science is that you prove something "within a shadow of doubt". You can prove something to be 99.999% true, but it can never be fully 100%.

There's a reason there are so many "95%" arguments.

U.N. Owen

The idea of science is that you prove something "within a shadow of doubt". You can prove something to be 99.999% true, but it can never be fully 100%.

There's a reason there are so many "95%" arguments.
When it comes to stats, it's less proof and more rejecting the null. I understand it's the same thing with different words, but my God, some students are freaking arrogant when they refuse to do the error analysis sections of a lab report.

Sham

For context, we were in a debate today for our modern issues class and the topics were if you should be required to give respect to people like the President or the army simply because they have power & should kneeling during the anthem be a crime.

I don’t think you should be expected to give respect to someone based on their age or position. Getting respect by intimidation or some superiority complex isn’t actual respect.

For the second, I think this is the most absurd thing to get upset over.
Agreed. I feel like nationalism has been to ingrained in America anyone who isn’t one “disrespects America”. As far as respect goes; it’s something earned not a given.

Redstar45

Agreed. I feel like nationalism has been to ingrained in America anyone who isn’t one “disrespects America”. As far as respect goes; it’s something earned not a given.
Try Canada as we way overwhelmed nationalists and Anti-American in most in western though