• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
Okey doke. Question. So are you saying my entire hypothesis is wrong or just the part where Code Geass is, based on belief, a niche series?
Entire, but mostly to do with Code Geass being a niche series. As I said, yes, overall its slightly less popular than FMA:B and Death Note, but still massive. Lelouch is a massively well known anime character which wouldn't be possible if it was a niche series. As for the popularity contest part, it's 50-50. Yes, certain anime do see more wins, but it's to do ultimately with people liking those series a lot over others. Why I feel this is flawed (face-offs being a popularity contest) is that Pokémon characters are definitely more well known here than even FMA:B and Code Geass characters (Well duh since its a Pokémon forum), but they are the first to be eliminated, only because people realise they aren't in the same league.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Entire, but mostly to do with Code Geass being a niche series. As I said, yes, overall its slightly less popular than FMA:B and Death Note, but still massive. Lelouch is a massively well known anime character which wouldn't be possible if it was a niche series.
I see. You seem quite focused on the part where I said it was a niche series, interesting. Anyways, what about the main question I'm proposing? About the Face-Offs.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
I see. You seem quite focused on the part where I said it was a niche series, interesting. Anyways, what about the main question I'm proposing? About the Face-Offs.
Yeah I added to my previous post regarding that.

shoz999

Yeah I added to my previous post regarding that.
What about the claims that Code Geass, a less-popular franchise than that of FMA, dominating in many cross-over matches where FMA is prominent and often wiped out early? You use Pokemon a lot but when they say dominating, they don't just claim Pokemon but just every other series in-general.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
What about the claims that Code Geass, a less-popular franchise than that of FMA, dominating in many cross-over matches where FMA is prominent and often wiped out early? You use Pokemon a lot but when they say dominating, they don't just claim Pokemon but just every other series in-general.
How is FMA wiped out early though? Barring the one time Edward got eliminated in W/H, FMA:B and its characters always tend to reach very far. It was the winner of the original anime face-off, and it's characters have reached very far in character based face-offs as well.

shoz999

On a different unpopular note, I'm not that excited for the upcoming Star Wars movie. I want something new, not more of the same.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
On a different unpopular note, I'm not that excited for the upcoming Star Wars movie. I want something new, not more of the same.
That was me in regards to Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Ended up turning it off around 20 minutes into the movie. Wanted to like it, but I honestly wasn't all that excited by it and didn't like the characters that much.

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Eh, Rogue One wasn't my cup of tea. I'm one of the rare people that actually likes the prequels....Well, besides Attack of the Clones. I didn't care much for that film. However, I did enjoy Revenge of the Sith and Phantom Menace.

Genaller

Silver Soul
So the Face-Offs in the games section. I don't know if this is unpopular or not but are Face-Offs less of a popularity contest and more of a dedicated fan contest?
Formally speaking you could think of face-offs as a ‘weighted’ fan interest contest where the ‘weight’ of each voter’s preference is determined by how close to ‘optimally’ they vote with optimal in this context meaning always voting precisely as one’s cooldown time is over in any given match. If you wanted face-offs to be closer to a pure popularity contest, then you would use a format where anyone can cast a vote within a set amount of time (e.g. 5 days), but each member can vote only once.

I recall this one fan sounded all disappointed or worried thinking that Full Metal Alchemist is not as popular as Code Geass in Serebii but I think that's very off.
Let’s say popularity means which show is more well known within a given community. There’s no concrete evidence that within this forum 1 is more popular than the other. If we were to go by MAL metrics of popularity, then FMA:B have about 1,4 million users that are aware of it while CG has about 1.1 million which in other words mean within the community of MAL slightly over 25% more users know of FMA:B than they do CG. The thing is sppf has a far smaller sample size than MAL does in member count, hence it would be fallacious to say that the relative popularity of shows in sppf need conform to that of broader communities like MAL.

There were also some other fans that told me they were a bit annoyed that Code Geass dominated too much of the crossover face-offs to the point of repetition and thought Code Geass was just too popular but I don't think that's the case.
Literally who barring Terrance complains about stuff like this?

Code Geass is kind of a niche series I believe, a classic with amazing storytelling but still a niche compared to Full Metal Alchemist or Pokemon.
Your belief is objectively false barring the case where everything that isn’t pokémon should be a niche compared to pokémon within this forum since this is by definition a pokémon based forum. FMA:B is seemingly more popular than CG within the broader anime community; however, the difference isn’t as high as to claim CG is a niche compared to it. Like Akki already said what you’ve just described would be far better attributed to a show like Monster.

Pokemon and Full Metal Alchemist aren't just popular but famous in their areas.
With Pokémon it’s specifically the games. The anime and especially any of the manga would be huge niches relative to the games at least as of the current day. FMA:B isn’t even the most famous mainstream anime with both Death Note and Attack on Titan (at least the first season) being more well known based on the MAL popularity metric mentioned above.

I believe the only real reason why so many FMA and Pokemon contestants got marked off of several lists in favor of Code Geass in a whole bunch of crossover face-offs is most likely just dedicated fans of Code Geass decided to work together to mark off extremely popular series that they see as a threat.
As a ‘dedicated fan’ of CG this is blatantly false. Matter of fact such tactics are primarily used for meme characters such as Gible and Shaggy (groups were created specifically to ensure these characters won their respective face-offs yet nothing of the sort was ever made for anything related to CG). While Pokémon should be far more popular than anything else around here, most people over here accept that it flat-out isn’t as nearly as good as legitimately high quality anime like CG or FMA:B. As previously mentioned you can’t definitively say 1 way or the other which show between CG and FMA:B is more popular over here specifically. Also the claim that FMA:B generally does significantly worse than CG is false (matter of fact in the first anime face-off FMA:B won and CG was eliminated in round 1).

So this got me thinking. Are face-offs just a dedicated fan contest to show how dedicated one fanbase is compared to another? Unlike popularity polls, face-offs are games that require that dedication to push forward so it doesn't always say what's popular or not.

This really isn’t anything groundbreaking. If face-offs were really meant to be a popularity contest, then everyone would only vote once. Eventhough a face-off could be considered a weighted fan interest contest, it isn’t even a particularly reliable metric for determining that due to factors like relative real life obligations of the voters during any given match (which even includes sleep since people from many different timezones use this forum). At the end of the day face-offs don’t reliably convey anything meaningful about community consensus around here and anyone who wants to use face-off outcomes to claim X > Y in any meaningful way is grossly misrepresenting what these outcomes actually mean.

The real objective of face-offs is to have a fun medium which facilitates social bonding amongst the members of sppf.

shoz999

Formally speaking you could think of face-offs as a ‘weighted’ fan interest contest where the ‘weight’ of each voter’s preference is determined by how close to ‘optimally’ they vote with optimal in this context meaning always voting precisely as one’s cooldown time is over in any given match. If you wanted face-offs to be closer to a pure popularity contest, then you would use a format where anyone can cast a vote within a set amount of time (e.g. 5 days), but each member can vote only once.

Let’s say popularity means which show is more well known within a given community. There’s no concrete evidence that within this forum 1 is more popular than the other. If we were to go by MAL metrics of popularity, then FMA:B have about 1,4 million users that are aware of it while CG has about 1.1 million which in other words mean within the community of MAL slightly over 25% more users know of FMA:B than they do CG. The thing is sppf has a far smaller sample size than MAL does in member count, hence it would be fallacious to say that the relative popularity of shows in sppf need conform to that of broader communities like MAL.

Literally who barring Terrance complains about stuff like this?

Your belief is objectively false barring the case where everything that isn’t pokémon should be a niche compared to pokémon within this forum since this is by definition a pokémon based forum. FMA:B is seemingly more popular than CG within the broader anime community; however, the difference isn’t as high as to claim CG is a niche compared to it. Like Akki already said what you’ve just described would be far better attributed to a show like Monster.

With Pokémon it’s specifically the games. The anime and especially any of the manga would be huge niches relative to the games at least as of the current day. FMA:B isn’t even the most famous mainstream anime with both Death Note and Attack on Titan (at least the first season) being more well known based on the MAL popularity metric mentioned above.

As a ‘dedicated fan’ of CG this is blatantly false. Matter of fact such tactics are primarily used for meme characters such as Gible and Shaggy (groups were created specifically to ensure these characters won their respective face-offs yet nothing of the sort was ever made for anything related to CG). While Pokémon should be far more popular than anything else around here, most people over here accept that it flat-out isn’t as nearly as good as legitimately high quality anime like CG or FMA:B. As previously mentioned you can’t definitively say 1 way or the other which show between CG and FMA:B is more popular over here specifically. Also the claim that FMA:B generally does significantly worse than CG is false (matter of fact in the first anime face-off FMA:B won and CG was eliminated in round 1).

This really isn’t anything groundbreaking. If face-offs were really meant to be a popularity contest, then everyone would only vote once. Eventhough a face-off could be considered a weighted fan interest contest, it isn’t even a particularly reliable metric for determining that due to factors like relative real life obligations of the voters during any given match (which even includes sleep since people from many different timezones use this forum). At the end of the day face-offs don’t reliably convey anything meaningful about community consensus around here and anyone who wants to use face-off outcomes to claim X > Y in any meaningful way is grossly misrepresenting what these outcomes actually mean.

The real objective of face-offs is to have a fun medium which facilitates social bonding amongst the members of sppf.
Alright then. We are in agreement that this is a very unpopular opinion then right? Unfortunately I'm still lacking in information but I do not want to go any further off-topic. I will ask this though. Who is Terrance? Never heard of him.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Alright then. We are in agreement that this is a very unpopular opinion then right? Unfortunately I'm still lacking in information but I do not want to go any further off-topic. I will ask this though. Who is Terrance? Never heard of him.
Terrance is 345ash-greninja lol

Anyways I'm not sure if this is that unpopular or not, but my favorite character from Harry Potter is Ron Weasley

Genaller

Silver Soul
No idea if it is but the opinion that face-offs don’t measure popularity really shouldn’t be unpopular since anyone with the capacity for basic reasoning should be able to infer that face-off outcomes don’t convey anything meaningful regarding community consensus around here (never mind consensus in broader communities).

shoz999

No idea if it is but the opinion that face-offs don’t measure popularity really shouldn’t be unpopular since anyone with the capacity for basic reasoning should be able to infer that face-off outcomes don’t convey anything meaningful regarding community consensus around here (never mind consensus in broader communities).
Probably right. Kind of hard to see it as an unpopular opinion due to what you said.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
1. MCU is overrated franchise despite loving it, but it doesn't deserve this much praise/money.
2.Captain Marvel doesn't deserve 1 billion dollars.
3.DC has more potential than Marvel. I also wish DCEU in future destroys MCU box office and critic-wise.
4.EndGame doesn't deserve to beat Titanic Box office wise(WW). Also, I am pretty sure it won't pass Avatar with all competition.
5.Detective Pikachu will slow down EndGame's numbers.
6.Musical movies are the worst.
7.Disney is overrated company and Warner Bros is much better.
8.PewDiePie is not that good Youtuber, he's getting stale and doesn't deserve much subscribers.
9. All those Lil rappers are overrated and doesn't deserve any praise.
10. KSI, RiceGum, Paul Brothers and all drama channels are bad and don't deserve anything.
11.Daniel Craig's James Bond > all old James Bonds
12.Frozen is the most overrated Disney animated movie
13. I don't like those content creators on rise like Billie Eilish( whatever her name is), James Charles etc.
14. Playing basketball/soccer and any other sport is much MUCH better than watching someone else do it( FIFA, NBA). Also, watching movies and series/Youtubers >> watching someone playing soccer/basketball.
15.Doctors, lawyers, workers etc deserve to get more money than Youtubers and sport players.
16.Actors/Actresses are much better than singers.
17.Sport and fighting games like 2K and Fifa, MK, Tekken are bad/boring/repetitive
18.Fallout 3 is better than Fallout 1 and 2.
19.Cinematic games like Human Become Detroit, Heavy Rain are overrated.
20.JRPGs except Pokemon and few more are bad.WRPGs like Fallout,ES and Borderlands are much better.
21. DBS is actually fun series to watch but bad DBZ sequel.
22.Many anime (except few like DBZ, OPM, Pokemon, Naruto) are cringe,weird and some even overrated and some cartoons are better.
23. TWD was good but now is bad.
24.Cartoons such as Adventure Time, Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are overrated.
25.Disney's sitcoms like Zeke and Luther, Zack and Cody are not funny.
26.Sitcom comedies like Everybody Loves Raymond and FP are better than slapstick ones.
27. Talk show hosts like Kimmel, Fallon,Ellen are not funny. Conan O'Brien is the only funny one.
28.Markiplier has changed to worse, he's unwatchable now.
29. USA is overrated country, I find many countries way better to live than USA.
30.Trump is better than Hillary.But Putin destroys Trump.
31. Hollywood movies are the best entertainment pieces in history of entertainment.
( I can go on, but I will stay on this one)

PokemonBattleFanatic-

1. MCU is overrated franchise despite loving it, but it doesn't deserve this much praise/money.
It's better than the Star Wars franchise right now
2.Captain Marvel doesn't deserve 1 billion dollars.
Agreed,Brie Larson has problems
4.EndGame doesn't deserve to beat Titanic Box office wise(WW). Also, I am pretty sure it won't pass Avatar with all competition.
I hope it does surpass those 2 films unless Captain Marvel is the one to defeat Thanos
5.Detective Pikachu will slow down EndGame's numbers.
I doubt it but we'll see
6.Musical movies are the worst.
Never liked High School Musical
8.PewDiePie is not that good Youtuber, he's getting stale and doesn't deserve much subscribers.
I never got why so many people like his content,I don't find him entertaining like a Tyrone Magnus
9. All those Lil rappers are overrated and doesn't deserve any praise.
Nas is the greatest rapper ever
12.Frozen is the most overrated Disney animated movie
Yeah probably
14. Playing basketball/soccer and any other sport is much MUCH better than watching someone else do it( FIFA, NBA).
I like playing basketball as much as I like watching it on tv,but when it comes to soccer I like to play but don't like watching it.
15.Doctors, lawyers, workers etc deserve to get more money than Youtubers and sport players.
I agree with youtubers but not the sports athletes,they're multimillionares
17.Sport and fighting games like 2K and Fifa, MK, Tekken are bad/boring/repetitive
I got bored with Madden games but never got bored with NBA 2K games. Tekken > Mortal Kombat
21. DBS is actually fun series to watch but bad DBZ sequel.
I wouldn't say that it's bad but just not as good as it's predecessors,there's people out there that believe that if you support DBS then you're not a true Dragon Ball fan and I don't agree with that.But for my ranking of each series.
1.Dragon Ball
2.Dragon Ball Z Kai
3.Dragon Ball Z
4.Dragon Ball Super
5.Dragon Ball GT
22.Many anime (except few like DBZ, OPM, Pokemon, Naruto) are cringe,weird and some even overrated and some cartoons are better.
-JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
-Fist of the North Star
-Cowboy Bebop
-Berserk
-Black Lagoon
23. TWD was good but now is bad.
I can't believe there's still new episodes of that show,I never even watched it.
24.Cartoons such as Adventure Time, Steven Universe and Gravity Falls are overrated.
Yeah 90s and early 2000s cartoons are way better
25.Disney's sitcoms like Zeke and Luther, Zack and Cody are not funny.
I actually liked Zack and Cody growing up.What about That So Raven and Even Stevens?
29. USA is overrated country, I find many countries way better to live than USA.
My country can't catch a break
30.Trump is better than Hillary.But Putin destroys Trump.
Bernie 2020?

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
It's better than the Star Wars franchise right now
I never liked Star wars ( I also think it's overrated), but LoTR> MCU.

I hope it does surpass those 2 films unless Captain Marvel is the one to defeat Thanos
1. It won't pass Avatar 100%, because of competition.. Titanic, maybe, now why I wouldn't like to pass Titanic( or Avatar hypothetically). It took 10 years of craft to actually pass Titanic. Titanic from get-go without 10 years of build up created 2 billion dollars. That movie had no like story behind( in earlier movies ),no fans gathering/rising for 10 years. That's why EG doesn't deserve to pass Titanic. One-timer movies deserve to be number 1 or 2. I just hope whoever makes new one-timer like Avatar( at that time Avatar is one-timer) and Titanic, I hope it passes 3 billion.

I doubt it but we'll see
Did you see hype behind Pikachu? It will slow down EG, then comes John Wick 3, Aladdin( maybe) and Godzilla. Pretty sure EG will be dead near the May.Also, when IW came out it had Pets and DP2 as competition and they slowed it down. Now you have 4 blockbusters( JW can be also blockbuster) in May alone.

I never got why so many people like his content,I don't find him entertaining like a Tyrone Magnus
PewDiePie was good in 2013 then he became s*it, then he became good in 2017-2018( liked his memes and Filthy Frank challenges). In 2019 he became stale.

I like playing basketball as much as I like watching it on tv,but when it comes to soccer I like to play but don't like watching it.
I don't see value in watching any sport except boxing/MMA. This is on same level for me as watching vlogs, aka someone else's life. Movie is acting, all is scripted, like WWE is, that's why watching WWE > Watching NBA. Can I play in movie? No, can I play in NBA? No.But can I do key things in those two? In movies? No. I need a camera, crew, money. But basketball? Yes. There are playgrounds, I have ball, friends. But Boxing/MMA is different because you don't actually do this like basketball, you don't fight/box IRL. I watch something I can't do( but do something I can do but I dislike watching it), like watching Dashie playing horror games. I can play horror games but I get scared,thus I watch Dashie play horror games, because I can't do it myself. Plus, watching a movie is better than watching a sport.In sports: you watch same thing with different people( catch ball run, shoot, repeat).But, in same genre movies like horror, you watch different story, setting, plot, pace etc. For me would be boring If I watched just MCU( same thing over and over).

I agree with youtubers but not the sports athletes,they're multimillionares
Athletes like Ronaldo or LeBron play with a ball, has a sponsor and gets millions of dollars. Doctor saves same LeBron from something gets paid like 30k. Sorry but that's not fair and it's stupid.Or Ronaldo plays with a ball and gets million. Firemen saves small kid, gets 20k. LeBron just trains, at least actors like RDJ have to to all kind of stuff, like reading script, acting that , make up etc, spend like weeks and weeks to create a movie. LeBron or Messi do it in 2hours. Please. Athletes don't deserve more money than lawyers, doctors, firemen.The only good thing with athletes( not all) is they donate.

I got bored with Madden games but never got bored with NBA 2K games. Tekken > Mortal Kombat
2K is same s*it all over again, like Fifa. You have a team and you play. That's actually bad. Real games are Fallout, Borderlands, where you have actual plot, strategy, actual action, experience.2K is just basketball for nerds who can't play real thing on playground.I play it why would I watch NBA and play basketball games when I have real thing that's easy to have?You have playground you have ball and you have friends, why would I spent money on 2K game or by watching a game where can I watch a movie? If I had Fallout IRL, I wouldn't play game, I'd do it IRL( if it's easy as a basketball financially).

I actually liked Zack and Cody growing up.What about That So Raven and Even Stevens?

My country can't catch a break

Bernie 2020?

DBS is not bad fun-wise, but impact,emotion wise it's bad compared to DBZ. I liked Z and C back when I was a kid, but now they're bad. I don't watch them( So Raven and Stevens).

shoz999

Have you noticed that a chunk of EA's fanbase or whatever left of it has this love-hate on-and-off again relationship with EA during E3's and game launches?

I freaking love E3 presentations but EA is usually the worst but there's always that one game that makes all the EA fans saying EA sucks into suddenly "GIVE EA A CHANCE!". I recall seeing this as far back as Battlefield 4 all the way through Star Wars Battlefront, Battlefront 2, Mass Effect Andromeda, the EA fans just become amazed saying "GIVE EA A CHANCE!" for the past five years. However when these games hit, suddenly these same EA fans are like "YOU MESSED UP EA!" but suddenly when the Anthem trailer shows up or the latest Dragon Age trailer shows up, they are like, "GIVE EA A CHANCE!" all over again. Grant it I will admit. Dragon Age Inquisition was okay and Respawn Entertainment surprised us all with Apex Legends. Anyways, the point is, EA just has the strangest fans.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

I don't see value in watching any sport except boxing/MMA. This is on same level for me as watching vlogs, aka someone else's life. Movie is acting, all is scripted, like WWE is, that's why watching WWE > Watching NBA.
Regardless if you know how to play basketball or not.What makes the WWE more entertaining than the NBA?
2K is just basketball for nerds who can't play real thing on playground.
That isn't always true
DBS is not bad fun-wise, but impact,emotion wise it's bad compared to DBZ.
DBS critics and DBS haters just need to stop comparing it to DBZ and DB and just watch it for what it is and enjoy the series and if you still don't like it then just stop watching.