• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Anime is the same thing as cartoon. No difference other than anime is a Japanese abbreviation for the loan word “animation”.

I prefer classic American cartoons over Japanese anime.
The word sort of takes the "sombrero effect".

The word sombrero in Spanish simply means "hat", but outside of Spanish speaking cultures, it's specifically the Mexican hat seen in festivities (and Ludicolo).

The word anime has a similar premise, meaning "animation" in Japanese, but specifically Japanimation when used outside of Japan.

satopi

Life doesn’t end, …it changes.
The word anime has a similar premise, meaning "animation" in Japanese, but specifically Japanimation when used outside of Japan.
The word “Japanimation” is an outdated term that hasn’t been used since the 90’s.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The word “Japanimation” is an outdated term that hasn’t been used since the 90’s.
Not in my town. Japanimation is a locally owned store.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
You should still get the idea of what I said. Hopefully, the takeaway was much more than one minor nitpick.

Doppelgänger

Superancient Member
I don't like the Walt Disney Company.

Their theme parks, their IP, their behaviour and their PR.

Disney is responsible for crafting the narrative that 2D traditional animation is "bad", by sabotaging 2D works on television and in theatres. They bought out all non-Japanese IP and release that over and over - we have the entire "Disney Renaissance" remade as "live action" CGI vomit. The company destroyed Star Wars and pressured Pixar to produce sequels instead of new movies. They ruined ESPN by being cheap and turning it into TMZ.

Robert Iger reminds me of the worst traits of Steve Jobs: the desire for total control, to step on anyone in the way, in the pursuit of greed. Except Jobs was a visionary, and all Iger does is market the vision of the people who came before him.

Captain Jigglypuff

I know this opinion is very unpopular and looked down upon greatly by society but hear me out. I think it is okay for a man to hit a woman if he is in danger and/or his life is at stake. If a man is being beaten up by his wife and is constantly being abused this way, he needs to fight back to stop it without fear of how others will view him. Sure he may be only getting punched this time but what if she has a knife and is trying actively to stab and kill him the next time? Is he supposed to just lay there and let it happen? Or what if a woman is robbing him? I think in situations like these it’s necessary for a man to physically hit a woman. I was physically assaulted by a woman once and I was literally scared for my life but was too afraid to fight back because society frowns upon men striking women but not the other way around. The woman was actually holding a knife in her hand at one point and I was terrified she was going to stab me with it. Since that day I vowed never to hold myself back from fighting back again if a woman ever attacked me again. My life is far more important than what society would think of me hitting a woman.

Nyter

Island Challenger
I know this opinion is very unpopular and looked down upon greatly by society but hear me out. I think it is okay for a man to hit a woman if he is in danger and/or his life is at stake. If a man is being beaten up by his wife and is constantly being abused this way, he needs to fight back to stop it without fear of how others will view him. Sure he may be only getting punched this time but what if she has a knife and is trying actively to stab and kill him the next time? Is he supposed to just lay there and let it happen? Or what if a woman is robbing him? I think in situations like these it’s necessary for a man to physically hit a woman. I was physically assaulted by a woman once and I was literally scared for my life but was too afraid to fight back because society frowns upon men striking women but not the other way around. The woman was actually holding a knife in her hand at one point and I was terrified she was going to stab me with it. Since that day I vowed never to hold myself back from fighting back again if a woman ever attacked me again. My life is far more important than what society would think of me hitting a woman.

All I know is if a man, woman, it, etc. Whatever's dead skin cells make contact with my dead skills cells without consent, they gon catch these others cells and atoms at high pressure!

I agree with you in terms of defending yourself at whatever level you must... but like make sure its self defense and not Chris Brown/Rihanna circa 2009

Unpopular Opinion:
If we have to pay extra to get extra toppings and other condiments in our food, they should subtract our cost when we take things off such as pickles...

Captain Jigglypuff

I agree with you in terms of defending yourself at whatever level you must... but like make sure its self defense and not Chris Brown/Rihanna circa 2009
Of course I don’t mean for it to get to that level. I just think if a man has to fight off a woman because he is truly fearful for his life and she is physically attacking him that he should continue to fight until the woman backs off and runs away. Why is it that a woman can hit a man all she wants if he is hurting her without being judged when a man can’t do the same if a woman is hitting him? In martial arts classes, they have you practice sparring with women which is good because you never know who could be attacking you and in the heat of the moment of defending yourself gender should be the very last thing you should be concerned with.

Another unpopular opinion that I have is that Christian beliefs seem to be used as an excuse for way too many things that should not be considered acceptable and yet other faiths are often vilified and made out like they need to be eliminated and not enough people rally for their religious rights. Chick-Fil-A is one example of this with their anti-LGBTQ propaganda and also discriminates against other religions. A former employee of one of the restaurants was fired for being a Muslim and refusing to pray with co-workers to Jesus and got fired for it. He then sued the chain and won his case and I do believe that he didn’t deserve to lose his job over his religion and that it didn’t even get media coverage simply because of his religion. If McDonald’s fired someone who was Christian and prayed in the restaurant there’d be a huge uproar over religious freedom and people would be ignoring other factors such as if the employee was actually good at the job. Freedom of religion tends to be an excuse for discrimination and oppression a lot of the time.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
The abortion debate is never going to go anywhere because it is debating the absolute wrong thing. We as a society agree that killing people is wrong. The next step should be debating on what constitutes a person, something that is a matter of philosophy and not science. Instead, we are left with the stupidity of both sides screaming how "Pro-abortion is pro-murder" and "Pro-life is pro-misogyny." Hey idiots, why don't you define personhood already so we can get this stupid debate over with?

Captain Jigglypuff

The abortion debate is never going to go anywhere because it is debating the absolute wrong thing. We as a society agree that killing people is wrong. The next step should be debating on what constitutes a person, something that is a matter of philosophy and not science. Instead, we are left with the stupidity of both sides screaming how "Pro-abortion is pro-murder" and "Pro-life is pro-misogyny." Hey idiots, why don't you define personhood already so we can get this stupid debate over with?
Defining parenthood would actually solve a lot of problems when you think about it.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Defining personhood would actually solve a lot of problems when you think about it.

It would.

Sadly, people are more interested in calling someone anti-women or a callous murderer than actually arguing philosophy.

Where does personhood come from? It certainly can't come from the government since we've still treat those who have been victims of dehumanization and genocide as people rather than objects. It can't be from God since, per the saints, you would be bluntly skipping a bunch of intermediate steps. Survival outside the womb? It can't be since mammals need nurturing and can't survive long without it. In fact, the Journal of Medical Ethics had an argument saying that a post-birth abortion should be an option. Organogenesis? We define legal death at brain activity but life is scientifically considered at conception, but does this mean that people born with lesser functioning organs are of less value than those with properly functioning organs? If complex brain activity is personhood, then does that mean we can just kill our politicians since they're all dumb as rocks (joke here)? Self-awareness? People who were in comas would like to disagree. Sentience? That comes with a debate itself.

This is barely the surface of the surface of the philosophical level of personhood.

Monozu

この日、森の中・・・
I prefer personal websites to actual social media such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and so on.
  • They let you be way more selective with who you share your information with.
  • A company doesn't own your data and they can't use it to advertise dumb stuff to you.
  • You can choose what features you want to put on your site.
  • Extremely customisable: you can choose the layout you want.
I get that it's not for everyone since you have to pay for good hosting, and you'll also need to know basic HTML/CSS at the very least, but personal websites have always felt much more authentic to me than social media profiles.

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I prefer personal websites to actual social media such as Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and so on.
  • They let you be way more selective with who you share your information with.
  • A company doesn't own your data and they can't use it to advertise dumb stuff to you.
  • You can choose what features you want to put on your site.
  • Extremely customisable: you can choose the layout you want.
I get that it's not for everyone since you have to pay for good hosting, and you'll also need to know basic HTML/CSS at the very least, but personal websites have always felt much more authentic to me than social media profiles.

I can relate to that since I've never truly enjoyed using social media. Whenever you post something on Twitter it feels like you're just shouting into the void.

Captain Jigglypuff

I know this is extremely unpopular with people but hear me out before you jump to any conclusions. I think the uproar over the Confederate flags and symbols are being blown out of proportion and removing all signs of them is total disrespect for American history. I’m not defending the KKK or neo-Nazis here but you can’t pass laws that prohibit the display of the Confederate flag and claim it’s a symbol of racism when it really was never meant to be viewed as that. It’s an important part of American history and yeah it has connections to something to be ashamed of but all cultures have at least one thing that is part of their history that they aren’t proud of. The British slaughtered thousands of Native Americans because they were seen as violent savages that needed to be stopped, Germany has the Holocaust, and even the Vatican and Catholic Church are guilty of killing people just because they refused to convert to Christianity and/or spoke out against them. My point is that no matter how hard you try to hide, eliminate, deny, and refuse to acknowledge these types of events, they still happened and future generations deserve to know what occurred in the past. I’m Asian and a part of a minority that is subjected to racism and yet I honestly see the Confederate flag as a symbol of the Civil War which is a very important topic in American history. If the Civil War hadn’t occurred and the Confederate was formed, then would the US still be what it is today? Probably not since African Americans would still be viewed as lower than dirt and there would still be arguments about slavery. You can’t take away symbols and flags that you think are offensive that are a part of history because that means you’re denying the past and trying to hide unpleasant events from everyone. The swastika is another example of how a symbol ended up being labeled as being bad when that was never its original intention. The Nazis tarnished the true meaning which is an Asian religious symbol for good luck and fortune. Little known fact is that before World War II, westerners used it quite a bit. I’ve even heard a few women added it to a quilt before the Holocaust had occurred. If we removed every little thing that could be viewed as racist then we’d also take away a lot of popular things as well. Racism is definitely an unpleasant thing but I think if we take away all Confederate symbols and tear down statues of Confederate soldiers then that is like denying the Civil War had ever happened and that slavery had magically ended with the Emancipation Proclamation and nothing happened during all that time. Remember that slavery was the driving point of the Civil War. We need these things to stay around to remind the future of what had happened and to prevent any similar situations.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
The thing is the Confederate flag wasn’t seen as a flag for the Confederacy, it was a flag for white supremacy. It only came back into the social spectrum during the civil rights push for some reason. Same thing with confederate statues.

I’m all for putting them in a museum or something as a historical thing, but any kind of celebratory manner just outright ignores the past, and leads to dumb things like people acting like Robert E Lee was a man of honor when he was far from it.

Captain Jigglypuff

I honestly don’t think Natalie Portman is that pretty. She isn’t ugly but she definitely isn’t as beautiful as people claim. She just looks meh to me. Sad thing is I’ve actually seen drag queens that look prettier and they were wearing 10 lbs of make up! I mean look at this!

Natalie Portman

220px-Natalie_Portman_Cannes_2015_5_%28cropped%29.jpg

Plastique Tiara

rupauls-drag-race-11-cast-Plastique-Tiara.jpg

Shangela

03-shangela-willam.w700.h700.jpg

Isn’t it sad that female impersonators can look much better than an actual woman?

_AISP

Insect/Pokemon lover
Wasps are not assholes. I have never had a problem with vespid wasps that wasn't my fault. They don't go out of their way to sting me and I haven't seen them do the same for anyone else. Most wasps are parasitoids and don't sting people, yet the minuscule minority that do sting people and build nests around homes have destroyed the reputation of the entire group. Parasitoid wasps are one of the most economically important insects. They parasitize many, many crop pests and do so very effectively to the point where many are commercially sold. In addition, they pollinate just like bees do. It's aggravating when people don't realize wasps also pollinate, but I shouldn't feel that way. Few people know that there is a wasp species that produces a type of honey as well, that can be and IS consumed regularly by locals. This is known as the Mexican honey wasp (Brachygastra mellifica). Unlike honey bees, these would provide dual benefits of pest control and goods (however, it's best they don't become too ubiquitous for commercial purposes, because then we would spread it to regions where it isn't native, definitely doing some damage to the environment).

Captain Jigglypuff

This is a really not unpopular but also not popular opinion. I think Passenger pigeons aren’t extinct but living in plain sight in smaller numbers but most people don’t know it because they aren’t paying any attention to the bird and think that the species is extinct. I’ve actually seen them live and well on two different occasions in different areas years apart from each other. There is no way that man made a species numbering in the millions go extinct in the early 1900s without modern technology and inventions. If it was possible then chickens should have gone extinct centuries ago.