• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
The Dark Knight Rises was deeply awful to the point of being inferior to Batman vs Superman.

Does this even count as unpopular when most fans of the trilogy also considered it to be the worst installment lol? :p

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
There's more to what makes a woman than a near-meaningless sex organ. :3
It is same thing can be said for Men too other they are a hot guys from Hollywood or can't show feeling bs

MotostokeOnTrent

PokéJungle writer
Here's another: gender-swapping characters in established media is generally a bad thing. Men and women are meaningfully different, with different physical and mental characteristics that lead to different experiences and worldviews; that's why representation matters in the first instance. Gender-swapping characters is a tacit admission that you don't think men and women are meaningfully different, or that the character in question is so shallow and one-dimensional that their gender has no impact on their personality and worldview.

This only really applies to original creators of established media, and not necessarily all characters (some are one-dimensional by design). Gender-swapping can be fun on a design level, where certain visual tropes are reinterpreted, so I often enjoy such fanart.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I’m okay with gender swapping if it is during a reboot and the character is fully defined and well rounded.

WalesNote

If you cannot provide logical reasons for why something is wrong, then that something isn't and cannot be wrong. Because if it was wrong, then you would be able to explain it and destroy any arguments against the case.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
If you cannot provide logical reasons for why something is wrong, then that something isn't and cannot be wrong. Because if it was wrong, then you would be able to explain it and destroy any arguments against the case.
This assumes the person trying to explain it is all-knowing, which obviously is not the case. There might be a perfectly valid reason why something is wrong that you are not aware of, or lack a sufficient understanding of the topic to communicate. I'd wager that this is not the case in most scenarios, but it is possible to be right for the wrong reasons, so it shouldn't be assumed that simply because a person's arguments are bad, their conclusion is automatically incorrect. I believe that is called the "fallacy fallacy".

I think a better paraphrasal of this would be "If you cannot provide reasonable arguments for why something is wrong, you should reexamine the reasons you believe it to be wrong in the first place."

Luthor

I dislike the term as well, but only when it's used as an easy cop out criticism of a character. It can be used correctly in many occasions though, like when people criticized Bella Swan from the Twilight franchise for being a Mary Sue: anyone who has read the books or seen the movies knows that the term is completely appropriate for a character like her.

Even then I'd prefer a longer explanation. At this point I just don't trust the term anymore. I don't doubt it can be used correctly but with the frequency I see it misused I'd rather it be avoided completely.

CMButch

Kanto is love. Kanto is life.
Solo is the best Star Wars film since RotJ, though that says much more about the quality of most SW films than it does Solo.

Marvel was already tired and formulaic almost a decade ago, with the first Captain America film.

The Dark Knight Rises was deeply awful to the point of being inferior to Batman vs Superman.

The Gen 1 Pokémon designs are actually far superior to anything that has come since, and more recent designs are tainted by the 'Every Pokémon must look as though it could be your friend' ethos.

Cats was very good.

Twitter is very good.

Sorry but f-no.
Gen 1 designs are not far superior than other Gen designs, piece of crap evolving into bigger piece of crap, Pokeballs Pokemon with switched colors, mole Pokemon evolving into 3 mole Pokemon glued together are superior designs than all 700+ Pokemon designs from Gen 2 to Gen 8? Lol no. Every gen has bad designs but Gen 1 has the lamest designs ever.

Sorry but F-NO.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I like Avatar the Last Airbender (you like Avatar the Last Airbender, we all like Avatar the Last Airbender), but I hate how everyone and the Aunt Trixie lately are treating it like its the greatest thing in existence since sliced bread. Whenever I go on YouTube I always find several clips of Avatar & possibly a video talking about how it's a visual masterpiece. While I can't necessarily find any flaws to it, it's starting to get annoying that people are holding Avatar as a mandatory standard and only consider modern shows with overarching plots as the main selling point to be good (granted, I love shows like Gravity Falls & Steven Universe, but there are episodic/slice of life shows that are just as good like Big City Greens, Gumball, or We Bare Bears that nobody seems to give a chance or pay attention to).

Again, I like this show. I grew up with it during my tween & teen years, I agree that it deserves most of its praise since its one of the few series that can be enjoyed by all ages and gives animation the respect as an art form it deserves, but at the same time it's recently starting to become the same problem I had with Frozen where I like the content but I start to resent it because of the hype -_-

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
Mr.Munchlax said:
I like Avatar the Last Airbender (you like Avatar the Last Airbender, we all like Avatar the Last Airbender), but I hate how everyone and the Aunt Trixie lately are treating it like its the greatest thing in existence since sliced bread. Whenever I go on YouTube I always find several clips of Avatar & possibly a video talking about how it's a visual masterpiece. While I can't necessarily find any flaws to it, it's starting to get annoying that people are holding Avatar as a mandatory standard and only consider modern shows with overarching plots as the main selling point to be good (granted, I love shows like Gravity Falls & Steven Universe, but there are episodic/slice of life shows that are just as good like Big City Greens, Gumball, or We Bare Bears).

Again, I like this show. I grew up with it during my tween & teen years, I agree that it deserves most of its praise since its one of the few series that can be enjoyed by all ages and gives animation the respect as an art form it deserves, but at the same time it's recently starting to become the same problem I had with Frozen where I like the content but I start to resent it because of the hype -_-

I like the series a lot, but I'm also a little bothered by the praise that it gets these days. For me, part of the problem is that it feels somewhat strange seeing the series receive such a positive reception now despite it being about 15 years old. Also, I watched the series from the start and I remember the ratings slowly decreasing over time, so maybe I'm just peeved that it took this long for people to really appreciate it.

I will say that I wasn't a huge fan of some of the humor in the series, though. There were a lot of scenes that I look back on and think were unneeded or not as funny as some fans thought they were, and the animation wasn't always good. The finale itself had a lot of deus ex machina, so that's another strike against it.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
How is Avatar racist to white people?
Those were two unrelated posts

Anyways, IDK if this is unpopular, but I far prefer the Steven Universe Future ending over Steven Universe's. The diamonds being redeemed seemed way too rushed, and I found it really offputting that they got off from being pretty much the space nazis scott free. I liked how Steven's character arc was resolved there, and it was visually stunning, but yeah. Meanwhile, I prefered how more personal Future's finale was, ending with Steven finally learning to live for himself

Captain Jigglypuff

I like Avatar the Last Airbender (you like Avatar the Last Airbender, we all like Avatar the Last Airbender), but I hate how everyone and the Aunt Trixie lately are treating it like its the greatest thing in existence since sliced bread. Whenever I go on YouTube I always find several clips of Avatar & possibly a video talking about how it's a visual masterpiece. While I can't necessarily find any flaws to it, it's starting to get annoying that people are holding Avatar as a mandatory standard and only consider modern shows with overarching plots as the main selling point to be good (granted, I love shows like Gravity Falls & Steven Universe, but there are episodic/slice of life shows that are just as good like Big City Greens, Gumball, or We Bare Bears that nobody seems to give a chance or pay attention to).

I don’t like Avatar the Last Air Bender. I hate it and think it has the worst writing ever for a show. I’m sick of people praising the series when it is actually pretty bad and has so many plot holes which is even worse when these plot holes keep happening in a single episode!

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
Just a friendly reminder. Let's be careful when discussing race. This implies to everyone. Thanks.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Just a friendly reminder. Let's be careful when discussing race. This implies to everyone. Thanks.
Okay i wasn't try to mean or anything like that.
It won't be happened again.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Sorry but f-no.
Gen 1 designs are not far superior than other Gen designs, piece of crap evolving into bigger piece of crap, Pokeballs Pokemon with switched colors, mole Pokemon evolving into 3 mole Pokemon glued together are superior designs than all 700+ Pokemon designs from Gen 2 to Gen 8? Lol no. Every gen has bad designs but Gen 1 has the lamest designs ever.

Sorry but F-NO.

I think they were saying that as part of a list of unpopular opinions. Not necessarily because they believe such.

Does this even count as unpopular when most fans of the trilogy also considered it to be the worst installment lol? :p
Worst doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad movie though. By that logic, Fellowship of the Ring or Two Towers are often considered the worst part of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, but they're not bad movies. They're fantastic movies. Just Return of the King is a little better. But specifically saying it's a terrible movie, that's a bit different.

I have an opinion that at one point wasn't popular, but has recently started to gain a little bit more traction. E3 is dying. Companies leaving the venue for their own online Direct and Experience series', and even people who were hired to help with the setup copping out at the last minute have really hurt the venue.

Just because someone has a differing opinion to you doesn't mean they're a horrible person nor does it mean you can't associate with them"(people are different and it's be boring if everyone had the exact same thought process). Generation 8 of Pokemon was very sub par. The liberal party of Australia is the most evil party on the planet (before you rebutle trust me they've done **** even third world countries couldnt do).

Captain Jigglypuff

The COPPA thing that YouTube has adopted and method of marking videos as “kid friendly” is really really flawed. Here are some examples of things marked as content made for kids and their titles: A clip from Tom and Jerry that is literally called “Tom (explicit) Dies!”, a South Park clip where a prostitute not only swears but she also beats up a child on screen, Happy Tree Friends episodes, and craft videos for fashion dolls that involve scissors and other dangerous items that kids shouldn’t use without supervision such as lighters and Exacto knives. I hate how people think literally everything that is animated is automatically made for kids.

The COPPA thing that YouTube has adopted and method of marking videos as “kid friendly” is really really flawed. Here are some examples of things marked as content made for kids and their titles: A clip from Tom and Jerry that is literally called “Tom (explicit) Dies!”, a South Park clip where a prostitute not only swears but she also beats up a child on screen, Happy Tree Friends episodes, and craft videos for fashion dolls that involve scissors and other dangerous items that kids shouldn’t use without supervision such as lighters and Exacto knives. I hate how people think literally everything that is animated is automatically made for kids.
Are you surprised YT doesn't care about it's terms of service since it's golden child H3H3 breaks them almost constantly, they even go as far as silencing people who critique their favorite content creators

Leonhart

Imagineer
Captain Jigglypuff said:

I agree that it's been mishandled. I was looking through some clips of The Boondocks, and most of those videos had their comment sections turned off even though I could've sworn that I watched most of those same videos a year ago, and they had active comments then. The same applies to many The Simpsons, Family Guy, and South Park videos as well. I understand if Youtube wants to block the comment sections of "kid friendly" videos, but none of the shows that I mentioned are meant to be for kids, so I don't get why their comments are blocked.