• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I LOVED Yuyu Hakusho... why they didnt get a remake or a sequal..
I agree. There is so much the series could do now if you put the characters in a more modern setting such as a demon that can possess people using websites and emails as bait to Botan getting a device that looks like a smartphone that can pick up signals of evil demonic activity and calls from souls in danger. The internet as part of the main plot of such an anime adaptation could also be useful for Yusuke and his teammates in situations where a demonic threat is on a global scale and Yūsuke could use technology to reach out to other Spirit Detectives which has to be a worldwide organization given not all demonic activity is limited only to Japan. There could be a Yeti demon in the Himalayas freezing humans to eat them or a demon that can possess toys terrorizing kids in the US.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
tolkien is a weird duck, he basically venerated the simple country life and thought war(having seen probably worst types of war personally) was horrible as was industrialization. but also was a big weird uber catholic who got super pissy when church started using English.

basically what I'm saying is Lord of the Rings as a literature only aspect is weird today because this was a time when people didn't have tvs or phones or anything that showed them images of other places, so literature benefited from descriptions that seem over the top today, but back then did a good job of setting a picture in the person's head

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
tolkien is a weird duck, he basically venerated the simple country life and thought war(having seen probably worst types of war personally) was horrible as was industrialization. but also was a big weird uber catholic who got super pissy when church started using English.

Tolkien's work is also interesting because he lived during a time of deep racial oppression, and actively opposed it, yet his books are full of stereotypes about fictional races that persist to this day (eg. Elves always being slender, fair, and good at archery; dwarves having long beards and drinking heavily; orcs being the "evil race"; etc.). In the last few years many of these stereotypes/tropes have been challenged or rewritten, but it's still awkward to play a game of DnD with friends and have racial stereotypes all around without any consideration for how it would be if we applied these same stereotypes to real world groups.

Orphalesion

Nation States are an antiquated concept that shouldn't exist any longer.
basically what I'm saying is Lord of the Rings as a literature only aspect is weird today because this was a time when people didn't have tvs or phones or anything that showed them images of other places, so literature benefited from descriptions that seem over the top today, but back then did a good job of setting a picture in the person's head
I disagree here. Not only was the Lord of the Rings considered very description heavy even when it was released, but especially fantasy literature still benefits from detailed description because setting a picture in a person's head is still a concept and arguably one of the benefits books have over visual media.
Tolkien's work is also interesting because he lived during a time of deep racial oppression, and actively opposed it, yet his books are full of stereotypes about fictional races that persist to this day (eg. Elves always being slender, fair, and good at archery; dwarves having long beards and drinking heavily; orcs being the "evil race"; etc.). In the last few years many of these stereotypes/tropes have been challenged or rewritten, but it's still awkward to play a game of DnD with friends and have racial stereotypes all around without any consideration for how it would be if we applied these same stereotypes to real world groups.
A lot of this comes because Tolkien was a huge fan of Norse Mythology from his childhood on and found his main inspiration in it, the light elves, dwarves and orcs/trolls are pretty much lifted verbatim from those myths, as is the concept that evil comes from the east and north.
Several Dwarves, and Gandalf have their names lifted from the Edda, as is the relationship between the Elves and the Valar. Some more obscure things also appear in Tolkien's extended mythology (the Iron Wood is named as a troll-infested forest to the far east of both Midgard and Middle Earth) Finally even Middle Earth is just a translation of Midgard.
So the unfortunate elements in MIddle Earth come from the unfortunate elements in Norse and old Germanic mythology and during the last years of his life Tolkien even tried to rewrite his mythology to remove a lot of those stereotypes (he started to envision the Elves as gender-equal, tried to find an answer to whether Orcs are irredeemable etc) sadly he didn't have time to finish that work.

A lot of modern fantasy just copied the most popular tropes from Tolkien's work, often neither knowing nor caring where it originated from. Also with the stereotyping of the fantasy "races" themselves. In Tolkien's work there's, for example, Elves who live in the forest and use bows, but also Elves who mine metals and build huge cities and defend them with things such as catapults. But because Legolas was the most prominent Elf in the Lord of the Rings, and Lothlorien was a very memorable woodland realm the "Forest Elf" archetype was copied into much of other fantasy works.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
A lot of this comes because Tolkien was a huge fan of Norse Mythology from his childhood on and found his main inspiration in it, the light elves, dwarves and orcs/trolls are pretty much lifted verbatim from those myths, as is the concept that evil comes from the east and north.
Several Dwarves, and Gandalf have their names lifted from the Edda, as is the relationship between the Elves and the Valar. Some more obscure things also appear in Tolkien's extended mythology (the Iron Wood is named as a troll-infested forest to the far east of both Midgard and Middle Earth) Finally even Middle Earth is just a translation of Midgard.
So the unfortunate elements in MIddle Earth come from the unfortunate elements in Norse and old Germanic mythology and during the last years of his life Tolkien even tried to rewrite his mythology to remove a lot of those stereotypes (he started to envision the Elves as gender-equal, tried to find an answer to whether Orcs are irredeemable etc) sadly he didn't have time to finish that work.
I find his inspiration from Norse mythology interesting and have known about it for some time. It is still unfortunate how the stereotypes have developed.

xEryChan

Demon Child
I'm trying to figure out why people consider it the goat,I watched it on Netflix and wasn't impressed.None of the main characters interest me either,YuYu Hakusho's lineup blows HXH's out the water.

Not gonna lie, the HxH cast isn’t that great. So far, the series I’ve seen with the best cast is One Piece.

xEryChan

Demon Child
Anime

- Yu-Gi-Oh is, by far, the worst series I have ever seen and I could not help but laugh at the ridiculousness of it.
- My Hero Acadamia started off promising but season 4 is when it started to lose me and I dropped it right after Overhaul was beaten.
- One Punch Man was boring af
- Even though HxH has been more consistent, I still think Marineford is better than Chimera Ant and Water 7/Enies Lobby is better than Yorknew.

Music

- Selena Gomez is a terrible singer.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
The anime Major is underrated and is a masterpiece. It also deserves an English dub.
To add to that, Major 2nd is a sequel series done right unlike Boruto
I also prefer english dubs over reading english subtitles.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
-Pokemon SwSh weren't exactly that bad
-XY anime was average
-Star Wars was always an awful franchise
-Pop and Rap are only listened by people that can't tell the difference between what's good and what's wrong or stupid.
-Ketchup is fine on Hot Dogs, Mustard is not and belongs in the trash bin.

Rodpaco

- Morality is objective.
- Gender is an invalid concept.
- Advanced alien civilizations may exist, but it's highly unlikely we'll ever see one of them in our lifetimes.
- Humility is not a virtue, it's self-sabotage.
- As a general rule, crime movies & series suck.
- Capitalism is unequivocally the best political/economic system ever created by mankind.
- Mia Khalifa is overrated.

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
Sushi is terrible, as are tomatoes.

Lykouros

Sandslash fan
- Humility is not a virtue, it's self-sabotage.
Curious; why do you think this? I find that humility is about acknowledging when you don't know something or made a mistake, but I'm wondering what your idea of it is and why you think it's self-sabotage instead of a component of critical thinking.

TrottingMinccino

Can also jump!
-There isn't enough Iyashikei anime out there. Many dismiss it as boring, but I like that kind of thing.
-I prefer Dub over Sub any day.
-Ironacally speaking of the above, I dislike anime in general now.
-I loathe swearing and I think less of a person who does it.
-Marriage is overly glorified and a waste of time.
-So is fame. You don't have to be famous to make a difference!

Last edited: