• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular opinions

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
The 90's Sailor Moon anime is better than the manga.
Which version? The one with the really weird voice acting and Usagi being called Serena or the one with better voice acting and original Japanese names?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
The PC Harry Potte games(1 and 2) are splendid but no1 here played it =[
my cousin had an HP PC game like 12 years ago, but IDK which it was

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
Which version? The one with the really weird voice acting and Usagi being called Serena or the one with better voice acting and original Japanese names?
The one with better voice acting and Japanese names, of course.
So I guess this is where I come in with my unpopular opinion lol. I respect the accuracy of the newer dub but for the most part prefer the voices of the older one. Of course the newer one is more accurate, but sometimes a dub with a straight translation feels a little bit, "wooden" I guess is the term? I definitely get that vibe from the Viz dub of Sailor Moon. The original had a LOT of issues for sure, but particularly the DiC dub (Original Series and R) injected a lot of life into its characters that I appreciated. In regards to the Cloverway dub (S and Super S), it wasn't as good but I really liked Chibiusa/Rini in that one.

Captain Jigglypuff

So I guess this is where I come in with my unpopular opinion lol. I respect the accuracy of the newer dub but for the most part prefer the voices of the older one. Of course the newer one is more accurate, but sometimes a dub with a straight translation feels a little bit, "wooden" I guess is the term? I definitely get that vibe from the Viz dub of Sailor Moon. The original had a LOT of issues for sure, but particularly the DiC dub (Original Series and R) injected a lot of life into its characters that I appreciated. In regards to the Cloverway dub (S and Super S), it wasn't as good but I really liked Chibiusa/Rini in that one.
I find the first dub names easier to remember and pronounce. I sort of like how Pokémon has dealt with the dub mostly after the Indigo League of giving all human characters mostly non-Japanese names and make things a little more recognizable to those outside of Japan with some conversations but not to the point that onigiri are being called “jelly-filled doughnuts.” Kids might not know different types of traditional Japanese foods but they aren’t stupid enough believe what appears to be a white triangle with some black square on it is a “doughnut.” I think anime dubs should have a bit of both cultures and a little bit more expressive in dialogue while still making the same point in both languages. I’m perfectly fine with Sailor Moon being also known as Serena as it does match her theme of representing the Moon and Serena does mean calm and clear which a looking at a full moon and Sailor Mercury being called “Amy” is still the same as her Japanese name except with an “I” as that is how westerners are used to seeing the name.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
I find the first dub names easier to remember and pronounce. I sort of like how Pokémon has dealt with the dub mostly after the Indigo League of giving all human characters mostly non-Japanese names and make things a little more recognizable to those outside of Japan with some conversations but not to the point that onigiri are being called “jelly-filled doughnuts.” Kids might not know different types of traditional Japanese foods but they aren’t stupid enough believe what appears to be a white triangle with some black square on it is a “doughnut.” I think anime dubs should have a bit of both cultures and a little bit more expressive in dialogue while still making the same point in both languages. I’m perfectly fine with Sailor Moon being also known as Serena as it does match her theme of representing the Moon and Serena does mean calm and clear which a looking at a full moon and Sailor Mercury being called “Amy” is still the same as her Japanese name except with an “I” as that is how westerners are used to seeing the name.
Yeah, thanks to localization I have this bizarre amalgamation of the Sailor Moon universe in my head. The Sailor Scouts (and yes, I still call them Scouts instead of Senshi/Soldiers) have their Japanese names, but Usagi and Mamoru will always be Serena and Darien to me. Same with Naru/Molly, Umino/Melvin, and to an extent Chibiusa/Rini. And the Dark Kingdom I still call the Negaverse lol.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I like the DIC dub (specifically for their dub bgm) for the 90s Sailor Moon anime as well as the original Japanese dub and the VIZ English dub. I don't care for the Cloverway dub because Usagi sounds like a middle aged woman in it especially when she makes that goofy laugh...lol

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
No matter how many times I hear a YouTube channel shill (insert overused product name here) I'm not gonna buy it. Countless examples would be: Raycon, Raid Shadow Legends, Square Space, Dollar Shave Club, Hello Fresh, Nord VPN, Purple Mattress, and many more...

I've heard these names so many times I don't believe they're as good as they claim to be.

Captain Jigglypuff

No matter how many times I hear a YouTube channel shill (insert overused product name here) I'm not gonna buy it. Countless examples would be: Raycon, Raid Shadow Legends, Square Space, Dollar Shave Club, Hello Fresh, Nord VPN, Purple Mattress, and many more...

I've heard these names so many times I don't believe they're as good as they claim to be.
Half the time I don’t even pay attention to these product plugs. Raid Shadow League doesn’t interest me, Hello Fresh is too expensive for my budget, and I would use Dollar Shave Club but I’m often too lazy to shave so its a waste of money.

MrJechgo

It begs the question if those sponsors are even making back their money as well as profits given how many YouTubers are handed with these. Also, I find it a bit sketchy that the same people are promoting the same sponsors every week, as if the viewers will either buy more or renew their previous subscriptions.

bobjr

You ask too many questions
Staff member
Those ads are actually more effective, because if it's just a display ad without someone talking about it people are now naturally avoiding it, when they have to engage with it in videos/podcasts, and they can't just be adblocked away.

If they weren't working they wouldn't happen.

Sham

The Guardian of Ruin and Birth
Umm not getting the vaccine doesn’t exactly make you an anti vaxxer. I think it depends on what your reasons are for not wanting to get it and it’s a case by case basis. There is a difference between “I don’t want to get the vaccine because it could effect my underlying x” and “I think vaccines cause autism”.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Umm not getting the vaccine doesn’t exactly make you an anti vaxxer. I think it depends on what your reasons are for not wanting to get it and it’s a case by case basis. There is a difference between “I don’t want to get the vaccine because it could effect my underlying x” and “I think vaccines cause autism”.
If you have an immune compromised system, then I would agree, but otherwise, you should take the vaccine if there isn't any signficant risk, which 99% of the time, there isn't. Sometimes people say, "I got the flu vaccine and I got the flu" and they have zero idea on how vaccines actually work.

I'm not sure if this is unpopular because I haven't seen any reactions to it, but that movie called 'cuties' on netflix is the worst thing ever done.