• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Dexit was always going to happen. I don’t understand why people think video game programming is so easy when you need to make sprites and animate them and make sure they work properly, input attacks and hope nothing glitches out, and then add in cries. Now that there are over 1000 Pokémon, it’s extremely hard to find a way to put literally every Pokémon into the games. And if you think it’s so easy to just add every single Pokémon and animations then I’d like to see you do it and then test the additions to make sure they won’t crash or serious glitch out the game within a time limit of a year. You think you know everything about video game programming and how it works and keep insisting that Dexit can easily be resolved by adding every single Pokémon into the games. Come on. Do it! Put all of the missing Pokémon into the game and make them both functional and fully animated. I’m waiting.
That's not a fair comparison. I'm not paid to do so, I don't have access to all the assets from Ultra Sun that Game Freak do have, and I can keep on going. Pokémon is one of the largest gaming franchises in the world, saying that it's too difficult because an unpaid fan can't do it on their own is a ridiculous bar.

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
Dexit was always going to happen. I don’t understand why people think video game programming is so easy when you need to make sprites and animate them and make sure they work properly, input attacks and hope nothing glitches out, and then add in cries. Now that there are over 1000 Pokémon, it’s extremely hard to find a way to put literally every Pokémon into the games. And if you think it’s so easy to just add every single Pokémon and animations then I’d like to see you do it and then test the additions to make sure they won’t crash or serious glitch out the game within a time limit of a year. You think you know everything about video game programming and how it works and keep insisting that Dexit can easily be resolved by adding every single Pokémon into the games. Come on. Do it! Put all of the missing Pokémon into the game and make them both functional and fully animated. I’m waiting.
Do you think perhaps there's a difference between one single solitary person doing something to prove a point (and both not getting paid and violating TPC's copyright in the process) and literally the highest grossing franchise on the planet doing the same thing? Nobody said anything about it being easy, but this isn't some little indie game developer we're talking about here either.

Not to mention most of this is done with proprietary software that developers outside of GameFreak don't even have access to. And even despite all that there's a couple fan projects that do manage to accomplish essentially what you're asking for. I'm not allowed to mention them per Serebii's rules against discussing fan games, making this the most loaded of loaded requests.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
That's not a fair comparison. I'm not paid to do so, I don't have access to all the assets from Ultra Sun that Game Freak do have, and I can keep on going. Pokémon is one of the largest gaming franchises in the world, saying that it's too difficult because an unpaid fan can't do it on their own is a ridiculous bar.
And video game programming isn’t easy even for those paid for it so I’d suggest you’d stop complaining about Dexit and how “easy” it would be to just add all of the missing Pokémon into the games.

Do you think perhaps there's a difference between one single solitary person doing something to prove a point (and both not getting paid and violating TPC's copyright in the process) and literally the highest grossing franchise on the planet doing the same thing? Nobody said anything about it being easy, but this isn't some little indie game developer we're talking about here either.

Not to mention most of this is done with proprietary software that developers outside of GameFreak don't even have access to. And even despite all that there's a couple fan projects that do manage to accomplish essentially what you're asking for. I'm not allowed to mention them per Serebii's rules against discussing fan games, making this the most loaded of loaded requests.
I never said anything about fan games. Fan projects all run on computers which is completely different from the Switch and don’t count at all when it comes to Dexit. And I never said that only one person was being challenged either. I was using you in the plural sense to all those who claim that Dexit shouldn’t be a thing and that every Pokémon can fit into the game. I’m calling them out on it and challenging them to give me proof that it’s easy to do. Show me proof that the Switch can handle over 1000 different Pokémon with different move sets and unique animations and sprites and then I will stop saying Dexit is a stupid reason fans give to not play any of the newer games and a necessary change. I’m challenging everyone who says that every Pokémon can fit into the games on the Switch easily and act as if nothing bad would happen. I want to see if you can prove me wrong when I say that Dexit was necessary and also a good thing. If you don’t get the point of why I’ve finally come to this point and think I’m talking about fan projects (which run on computers and not the Switch) then you are missing the point I’m trying to make.
GAME DEVELOPMENT AND PROGRAMMING IS NOT EASY FOR ANYONE AND STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT HOW EASY IT WOULD BE FOR GAME FREAK JUST TO ADD ALL OF THE POKÉMON INTO THE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
I'm starting to think you don't actually understand what you're talking about and just want to rant.

I never said anything about fan games. Fan projects all run on computers which is completely different from the Switch and don’t count at all when it comes to Dexit.

Yeah, that's not true at all. Again, I'm literally not allowed to get into the specifics per Serebii's rules, but you can absolutely load up a modified ROM on a cartridge that a Switch could read. In some cases it may also require modification to the Switch's software (which is only possible on certain models of the Switch) as it will prevent it from loading uncertified game files as a protection/anti-piracy measure but it's not a hardware issue.

I was using you in the plural sense to all those who claim that Dexit shouldn’t be a thing and that every Pokémon can fit into the game. I’m calling them out on it and challenging them to give me proof that it’s easy to do.

But nobody said it would be easy to do, especially for free (maybe you're in a comfy enough living situation that you can do a few dozen, hundred, or thousand hours of free labor and still make rent and put food on the table, but the same sure as hell isn't true for me), only that it would be both possible and reasonable to expect a multi-billion dollar game company that's literally getting paid to do so to do.

Show me proof that the Switch can handle over 1000 different Pokémon with different move sets and unique animations and sprites and then I will stop saying Dexit is a stupid reason fans give to not play any of the newer games and a necessary change.

Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are 6.6GB each. A Switch cartridge can store up to 64GB. You could increase the filesize of the games by nearly a factor of 10 without issue.

I want to see if you can prove me wrong when I say that Dexit was necessary and also a good thing. If you don’t get the point of why I’ve finally come to this point and think I’m talking about fan projects (which run on computers and not the Switch) then you are missing the point I’m trying to make.

I don't think you HAVE a point you're trying to make, I think you've got way too much time on your hands (accompanied by a poor understanding that other people don't have that kind of time), a poor understanding of how game development works, and completely unreasonable expectations of other people.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Saying it’s stupid for someone to not want to play a modern game because of Dexit is just as bad as people targeting others for playing them. People are allowed to have any personal criteria for buying a game with their money regardless of what development hardships GF face. After all, a big counter argument for this was “If you don’t like it, don’t buy it”, right?

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Why don't we cut out the Dexit talk. It's just leading to arguing and it's not worth going around in circles over it.

Last edited:

emawerna

Why don't we cut out the Dexit talk. It's just leading to arguing and it's not worth going around in circles over it.
Okay, sorry mod for starting the conversation. I am frustrated right now because I am running around Pokemon HeartGold trying to collect Apriball pokemon before the 3DS Wifi service is permanently shut off in April. This discontinuation will sever the trading connection between current Switch games and the previous Pokemon generations on the 3DS and DS. I am wondering if I should breed a bunch of Apriball Alolan Rattata in Ultra Moon because Alolan forms were not included in BDSP. What this means is that pokemon like Alolan Rattata will only be available as a transfer from Pokemon Go and will not be breedable in any Pokemon game for the foreseeable future. Other pokemon like Marowak and Raichu that are only alolan regional forms upon evolution will cease to be available except through pokemon Go.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Okay, sorry mod for starting the conversation. I am frustrated right now because I am running around Pokemon HeartGold trying to collect Apriball pokemon before the 3DS Wifi service is permanently shut off in April. This discontinuation will sever the trading connection between current Switch games and the previous Pokemon generations on the 3DS and DS. I am wondering if I should breed a bunch of Apriball Alolan Rattata in Ultra Moon because Alolan forms were not included in BDSP. What this means is that pokemon like Alolan Rattata will only be available as a transfer from Pokemon Go and will not be breedable in any Pokemon game for the foreseeable future. Other pokemon like Marowak and Raichu that are only alolan regional forms upon evolution will cease to be available except through pokemon Go.

I understand the frustration. It sucks that they're shutting down the online service.

It couldn't hurt. That's a good idea, since not everyone has Pokemon Go.

jaden767

Amphetamine
Whoa wait I must've missed something, when was that announced? Are they really gonna break the transfer connection between the older games and the Switch games by cutting off 3DS Wi-Fi access? That sounds horrible.

Whoa wait I must've missed something, when was that announced? Are they really gonna break the transfer connection between the older games and the Switch games by cutting off 3DS Wi-Fi access? That sounds horrible.
Not at this time, no. In their announcement Nintendo specifically mentioned that Pokémon Bank and Poké Transporter would continue operation beyond April 2024.

Baggie_Saiyan

I have a few:

FRLG are worst Pokemon games, no animated sprites, restricted to Gen 1 Pokemon and can't even trade to RSE until post game (the Sevii islands get praised but IIRC most of it was a quest just so you can trade to RSE)

BW2 are vastly overrated, the story is absolute garbage I don't care about my rivals stupid cat. On top that people praise it for being a "sequel" yet it really isn't you play as a completely different character, if you played BW1 you may appreciate some nods like in GSC. BW1 remain the best of Gen 5 imo (only complaint being restricted to only new Mons which only thing BW2 did better)

Kanto is hailed for Gen2/4 remakes but the whole region feels half baked not much to do as a kid I barely spent any time there.

Speaking of Kanto it's a pretty bad region, I was playing LGPE and just occurred to me how dreadful the map is....

Ransei

Sup I'm new to Serebii.

Delta Episode

Devon Corporation building has two monuments in front of it. One resembles a Sun Stone, the other resembles a Moon Stone.
Zinnia had to stop scientists from creating a wormhole that'd transport a meteor to an alternate universe.
You had to tackle the meteor yourself, only to discover an alien creature was inside it.
You are sent to a tropical resort area afterwards, where you find a man with amnesia as result of having fallen from the sky.

Opinion 1: At this point I'm convinced Gamefreak put up a statue of the Battle Tower in ORAS not as a way to mock players, but as a means to foreshadow Anabel's appearance in Sun and Moon. Gen 7 references are shoved all over the Delta Episode and in more places throughout Gen 6. I know generations tend to foreshadow the following generation a bit but ORAS did it far more than usual, as if they knew they planned to release Sun and Moon next. The entire Resort Area in general is one great big foreshadowing of Gen 7.

Opinion 2: Two Kalos follow-up games were discovered as placeholders in Sun and Moon's source code. I don't think this meant they were planning to work on them. There has been no evidence of any work being done for these two games and from Sun and Moon's source code, even all of Zygarde's data was found to be written from scratch, meaning they weren't copy/pasted from a planned game or something in the likes of this. These games could've just been placeholders, just in case they decided they were going to make a full plan on making the games.

Opinion 3: The DidYouKnowGaming? video on Pokemon Z mentioned Gamefreak said they didn't work on Pokemon Z, in order to release ORAS instead, then Sun and Moon next. After looking into ORAS a ton I'm convinced they were the de-facto upper version games of Gen 6. Not Kalos but a different region with Kalos shoved all over it and more. For a remake, ORAS seems to greatly expand on the lore of its generation's debut region, unlike the other remakes. FRLG mildly expanded on Hoenn by adding... some BS postgame quest you had to complete in order for you to even trade with RSE. HGSS mildly expanded on Sinnoh by adding in a Sinjoh ruins event. LGPE brought in Alola formes, Mina, and some weird diagram that implies Necrozma created its universe. BDSP added just about nothing from Galar. ORAS on the other hand? ORAS added just about as many new mega evolutions as XY did, completed the lore on Mega Evolution XY tried to explain, sharply referenced AZ multiple times throughout the postgame episode, and used the letters "A" and "Z" as sharp references to mean beginning and end. They brought a character named Zinnia, with her partner named Aster, A, Z. They had Archie, Matt, Maxie, and Courtney greatly involved in trying to fulfill what was known as Project AZOTH. According to a grunt, the A stood for the beginning, the Z stood for the end. Even the names Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are an AZ reference, for Alpha is the first letter of the Greek alphabet and Omega is the last letter of the Greek alphabet. I think Gamefreak knew what they were doing here. Zygarde was left to be fleshed out more in the anime, after Gamefreak wrote a dex entry detailing how Zygarde "monitors ecosystems in a cave and reveals its secret power upon disruption". It's sorta exactly what Zygarde ended up doing by the end of the generation, then everything else relevant to the lore really got done. ORAS didn't have a Battle Frontier, but they made Super Secret Bases and legendary encounters absolutely insane, as well as implementing valuable features like DexNav and Soaring Through The Sky.

Opinion 4: If I were to be honest, even with just a Battle Maison, which has 5 different battle modes as is, the rest of the content ORAS has to offer gives it one of the biggest postgames in the series, even with tiny stuff like Super Training, Poke Amie features, Pokemon Contests, on top of Mirage Island exploration, Super Secret Base exploration, the best online interface (and most rewarding player interaction system) in the series, the Vs. Recorder mock battles allowing you to rematch any sort of team possible in the game, and ORAS having some of the best shiny hunting methods in the series, there are very few Pokemon games if any at all that are so versatile with what options you have for the postgame. Black 2 for example, may have raw content, but it's not nearly as versatile, as much of its postgame features are either battle facilities or something reminiscent of a battle facility.

Opinion 5: If Pokemon XY follow-ups were planned to be made, they had to be scrapped well before ORAS. As with the aforementioned statements follow, ORAS does so much to expand its former game for what was supposed to be a remake. Not only that, ORAS shoved literally every single legendary alongside every other Pokémon unable to be found in XY into their game, allowing you to complete the National Pokédex with just X, Y, Omega Ruby, and Alpha Sapphire. I very heavily doubt this would have been the case if they actually planned on releasing Pokemon Z after the release of ORAS, as Gamefreak loves to stretch out all the possible Pokemon you can get in a generation to ALL of their games. They would have left out Pokemon specifically for Pokemon Z, that you would not have been able to get in ORAS otherwise. It's how they work every other upper version game in the series. Maybe it would've been all those Hoopa ring legendaries they would have held back.