• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I liked Ash's Charizard better when he was a rebel.

It was like he was a rebellious teenager, and Ash the beleaguered father. Ash's Charizard during his rebellious phase reminded me a lot of Fonzie from Happy Days.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
I consider myself a Charizard fan even though Venusaur is my all time favorite Kanto starter (and possibly favorite all around starter)

In honestly I never had any issues with the “gen 1 pandering” simply because it never diminished my love and appreciation for new Pokemon and regions. I can understand how it could be annoying for others but it has never been to me and it’s always fun (at least for me) to see newer buffs, forms and such given to old classics to give them some new life and a bit of spotlight.

Grant it I think for many people they are less annoyed with the attention to gen 1 itself and more so annoyed with the 10 or so gen 1 Pokemon that are always used in promotions like Gengar, Charizard, Gyarados and Pikachu. The same argument though could be made for other overused fan favorites like Gardevoir, Lucario, Garchomp, and the many legendaries (none of which I have issues with either). Pokemon that are really popular and iconic can be annoying for those who wish for other less known Pokemon to shine.

Also Gen 1 pandering started in (and was possibly at its strongest in) Gen 2.

More so joking on that last bit but maybe not completely.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
If you couldn't tell by my username. I think Golisopod is one of the best Pokémon out there. Yes it's ability is a bit flawed but the design of a widely unknown species of animal is truly amazing.
I agree that the Ability it a huge flaw but at least it doesn’t affect the stats of Golisopod like Slow Start or Defeatist do.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Golden_Latias said:
Charizard is my favorite Fire type Pokemon, and while I understand people are frustrated with it getting so many forms (even I think it's a bit ridiculous), I almost feel ashamed to like him because it seems like everyone outside of the casual fanbase absolutely hates him.

I personally dislike the sheer amount of attention that Lizardon (Charizard) gets in both the anime and games, but I've actually chosen Hitokage (Charmander) as my Starter Pokemon in most of the Kanto-based games, so I'm not a hater of the species per se, just someone who's overwhelmed by that evolutionary family's popularity.

Luthor

I actually wanted the species specific Z-moves to be around. I expected the regular Z-moves to go but I was hoping moves like Catastropika and Light That Burns the Sky would stick around.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I'm pretty sure this is an unpopular Pokemon because I haven't seen a single fan like this Pokemon but I actually like Lickilicky. To be honest, I didn't think of it much when it first appeared but nowadays I think it's a fun Pokemon ever since Dia caught one, showing off how fast it can fire that tongue like a projectile.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
I'm pretty sure this is an unpopular Pokemon because I haven't seen a single fan like this Pokemon but I actually like Lickilicky. To be honest, I didn't think of it much when it first appeared but nowadays I think it's a fun Pokemon ever since Dia caught one, showing off how fast it can fire that tongue like a projectile.

Actually, while it has never been one of my all time favorites Pokémon....I really like Lickilicky’s design. It’s such a dapper little dumpling.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
I consider myself a Charizard fan even though Venusaur is my all time favorite Kanto starter (and possibly favorite all around starter)

In honestly I never had any issues with the “gen 1 pandering” simply because it never diminished my love and appreciation for new Pokemon and regions. I can understand how it could be annoying for others but it has never been to me and it’s always fun (at least for me) to see newer buffs, forms and such given to old classics to give them some new life and a bit of spotlight.

Grant it I think for many people they are less annoyed with the attention to gen 1 itself and more so annoyed with the 10 or so gen 1 Pokemon that are always used in promotions like Gengar, Charizard, Gyarados and Pikachu. The same argument though could be made for other overused fan favorites like Gardevoir, Lucario, Garchomp, and the many legendaries (none of which I have issues with either). Pokemon that are really popular and iconic can be annoying for those who wish for other less known Pokemon to shine.

Also Gen 1 pandering started in (and was possibly at its strongest in) Gen 2.

More so joking on that last bit but maybe not completely.
Actually, I was mad about the Gen 1 pandering in Gen 2. I wanted to see all the cool new Pokemon from Johto, but half of them were locked to the post game, which made no sense. Not to mention that Gen 2 in itself constantly gets skipped over as people either go straight for Kanto or Hoenn. Johto's lucky it got to be represented in the first episode of the anime, which at least leaves it with a foothold that other regions don't have.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
Actually, I was mad about the Gen 1 pandering in Gen 2. I wanted to see all the cool new Pokemon from Johto, but half of them were locked to the post game, which made no sense. Not to mention that Gen 2 in itself constantly gets skipped over as people either go straight for Kanto or Hoenn. Johto's lucky it got to be represented in the first episode of the anime, which at least leaves it with a foothold that other regions don't have.

I hated how even many of the gym leaders in Johto just used Kanto Pokemon or only had maybe one Johto Pokemon.

Gen 2 for me suffered from being too reliant on the previous gen without highlighting any of the cool gen 2 Pokemon. And yet I hear everyone saying the best thing of that gen (And sometimes of any gen) was being able to revisit Kanto in that game. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way especially with the gen 1 hate that sometimes circle. I understand it’s just a personal issue of mine.

Despite that though I did like Gold and Silver and it’s remakes. I’m just making the argument that those are the only games that truly suffered greatly from gen 1 being such a predominant focus. Every other gen, even X&Y and now Sword&Shield don’t have Kanto as a necessary part of the region in order to play it, just some neat features given to old Pokemon to promote the games for old and new players.

At least the legendaries of Johto are all memorable, and I love them all.

TheWanderingMist

I hated how even many of the gym leaders in Johto just used Kanto Pokemon or only had maybe one Johto Pokemon.

Gen 2 for me suffered from being too reliant on the previous gen without highlighting any of the cool gen 2 Pokemon. And yet I hear everyone saying the best thing of that gen (And sometimes of any gen) was being able to revisit Kanto in that game. I guess it just rubs me the wrong way especially with the gen 1 hate that sometimes circle. I understand it’s just a personal issue of mine.

Despite that though I did like Gold and Silver and it’s remakes. I’m just making the argument that those are the only games that truly suffered greatly from gen 1 being such a predominant focus. Every other gen, even X&Y and now Sword&Shield don’t have Kanto as a necessary part of the region in order to play it, just some neat features given to old Pokemon to promote the games for old and new players.

At least the legendaries of Johto are all memorable, and I love them all.
Yeah, Morty may as well have been the "Gastly line Gym" instead of the Ghost Gym. Couldn't even be bothered to use the literal best ghost.

Gen 2 are my favorite games, but my favorite part about them is the Johto region, not the revisiting Kanto bit.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover
Yeah, Morty may as well have been the "Gastly line Gym" instead of the Ghost Gym. Couldn't even be bothered to use the literal best ghost.

Gen 2 are my favorite games, but my favorite part about them is the Johto region, not the revisiting Kanto bit.

I love the Johto region too, and enjoyed the older Japanese styled places and the lore of the legendaries. I just think they should have focused on making gyms for the types that had plenty of proper gen 2 reperensentation and also not lock out certain gen 2 Pokémon to only the kanto section (houndour being the greatest offender that I can remember).

The one part I did like from the Kanto section was the Mt. Silver fight with Red because it felt like a passing of the torch. Red was an iconic trainer, the one who defeated Giovanni and became one of the strongest champions of his time at his age. And now you as the Johto protagonist and new champion must climb the mountain he trains on to take him on and see who is the best. I though it was a fitting end and a good way to include the previous gen to Johto.

It does speak to how cool the region was though to still enjoy it despite these weak points.

TheWanderingMist

I love the Johto region too, and enjoyed the older Japanese styled places and the lore of the legendaries. I just think they should have focused on making gyms for the types that had plenty of proper gen 2 reperensentation and also not lock out certain gen 2 Pokémon to only the kanto section (houndour being the greatest offender that I can remember).

The one part I did like from the Kanto section was the Mt. Silver fight with Red because it felt like a passing of the torch. Red was an iconic trainer, the one who defeated Giovanni and became one of the strongest champions of his time at his age. And now you as the Johto protagonist and new champion must climb the mountain he trains on to take him on and see who is the best. I though it was a fitting end and a good way to include the previous gen to Johto.

It does speak to how cool the region was though to still enjoy it despite these weak points.
Mt. Silver is in Johto though. I realize it's right next to Kanto, and has Red in it, but it is still technically in Johto.

PrinceOfFacade

Ghost-Type Master
1. Jynx is awesome. Don't @ me.

2. Cynthia is the only legitimately difficult Champion. The rest are painfully easy and I wish the developers would actually put some effort into making them more of a challenge.

3. Let's GO is better than everything else in Gen 7.

4. Legendaries should never be catchable, unless the story calls for it. Suicine doesn't count. :D

5. There are more cool Bug types in Gen 5 than all the other gens combined.

6. Kanto being accessible in Gold & Silver is what truly solidified the Pokémon franchise, as it allowed fans to return to the past and recapture their old memories. Without this, I doubt the franchise would have lasted this long.
(I also think Game Freak is aware of this, which is why they push Kanto so much.)

7. There isn't a single gym leader as difficult as Whitney. Lenora comes very close, however.

8. The player maintaining their title as Champion in Sun & Moon and having to defend their title is how things should be in every game.

9. Pokémon Snap 2 should've been made by now.

10. Even with all its flaws, Sword & Shield is a step in the right direction.

Adding onto my list:

11. The Pokémon anime is trash. The Orange Islands season was okay, but everything else is just terrible.

12. Despite trading creatures being Satoshi Tajiri's biggest pull with creating Pokémon, I feel it's the one feature in the series that doesn't actually matter.

13. Gen 3 was a bigger cash grab than Gen 8 will ever be.

14. Gengar is overrated.

15. Cutting the National Dex was probably the smartest decision Game Freak has made in a long time.

16. Eevee is starting to irritate me.

17. Junichi Masuda is a far better composer than he is a game director.

18. Minako Adachi, Go Ichinose, and Hitomi Sato are all much better composers, though.

19. Pokkén Tournament is what happens when a great concept is poorly executed.

20. Game Freak bit off more than they could chew when they decided to have the Pokémon series become 3D.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Adding onto my list:

11. The Pokémon anime is trash. The Orange Islands season was okay, but everything else is just terrible.

12. Despite trading creatures being Satoshi Tajiri's biggest pull with creating Pokémon, I feel it's the one feature in the series that doesn't actually matter.

13. Gen 3 was a bigger cash grab than Gen 8 will ever be.

14. Gengar is overrated.

15. Cutting the National Dex was probably the smartest decision Game Freak has made in a long time.

16. Eevee is starting to irritate me.

17. Junichi Masuda is a far better composer than he is a game director.

18. Minako Adachi, Go Ichinose, and Hitomi Sato are all much better composers, though.

19. Pokkén Tournament is what happens when a great concept is poorly executed.

20. Game Freak bit off more than they could chew when they decided to have the Pokémon seires become 3D.
It's almost certain you're a Westerner. Trading is a far bigger deal in Japan due to their extremely high population density.