• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

GearChange

Elite Haxor
I think Cynthia's a very overrated character. Being the first female champion is nice and all and I can admit to her being a tough battle, but other than that she doesn't really have that much to her character. Alder has more to him despite only appearing in two games, as opposed to Cynthia being in Gen 4, 5 and 7.

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
I think the National Dex will come back. It is a hallmark of the series.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Game Freak should take their time to design the next game. It's our fault as a fan base that we got used to getting games virtually every year, so they went on with a rushed game.
What? No it’s not. It’s the TPCi for wanting to have the games release to coincide and promote their other mediums like the anime, TCG, manga, and merchandise. It’s not an unpopular opinion in the fan base to stop yearly releases. What we’re used to has never stopped them from changing the formula of the games so it wouldn’t stop them here.

Siddhar

Transcend
What? No it’s not. It’s the TPCi for wanting to have the games release to coincide and promote their other mediums like the anime, TCG, manga, and merchandise. It’s not an unpopular opinion in the fan base to stop yearly releases. What we’re used to has never stopped them from changing the formula of the games so it wouldn’t stop them here.

Whoa, I thought it was us! So the TPCi is doing the business stuff, while poor Game Freak gets the blame because of unaware people like me. You said it is not an unpopular opinion, hmm, I've seen people blame GF for such stuff, though.
Thanks for the info, anyway!

Ignition

Whoa, I thought it was us! So the TPCi is doing the business stuff, while poor Game Freak gets the blame because of unaware people like me. You said it is not an unpopular opinion, hmm, I've seen people blame GF for such stuff, though.
Well I’m sure there’s a minor group of demanding fans who want GF to produce new games every year. It’s certainly not a black and white situation so it’s not like either of our claims are “wrong”: they’re merely just different aspects of the situation

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I think Cynthia's a very overrated character. Being the first female champion is nice and all and I can admit to her being a tough battle, but other than that she doesn't really have that much to her character. Alder has more to him despite only appearing in two games, as opposed to Cynthia being in Gen 4, 5 and 7.
Her character is usually that of a Mythologist who assists the player from time to time which I think is nice. My favorite version is the Pokemon Adventures take where they expand upon these characteristics but there is one noticeable difference from the anime's take. That difference is that although she's clearly a very OP trainer that deserves the title Pokemon Champion, she's portrayed as an very OP trainer who still has a lot to learn and master, hinting that she's still somewhat new to the Champion position. She and her Garchomp are such a fun duo in the manga, not only that the two help out the main characters a lot but the two have a hilarious relationship with Cynthia's teacher, the master of the powerful Draco Meteor, her impatient grandmother lol. I think what I like about this the most is that she has her own character arc and by the end of that character arc, you'll realize that she's finally reached OP Champion status, perhaps even stronger than her anime counterpart. I want to see that Cynthia happen in the games, a Champion who is also still on her own Pokemon journey to get stronger.

GearChange

Elite Haxor
Her character is usually that of a Mythologist who assists the player from time to time which I think is nice. My favorite version is the Pokemon Adventures take where they expand upon these characteristics but there is one noticeable difference from the anime's take. That difference is that although she's clearly a very OP trainer that deserves the title Pokemon Champion, she's portrayed as an very OP trainer who still has a lot to learn and master, hinting that she's still somewhat new to the Champion position. She and her Garchomp are such a fun duo in the manga, not only that the two help out the main characters a lot but the two have a hilarious relationship with Cynthia's teacher, the master of the powerful Draco Meteor, her impatient grandmother lol. I think what I like about this the most is that she has her own character arc and by the end of that character arc, you'll realize that she's finally reached OP Champion status, perhaps even stronger than her anime counterpart. I want to see that Cynthia happen in the games, a Champion who is also still on her own Pokemon journey to get stronger.
Never had much interest in reading any Pokemon manga, but if she had an expanded character like that in the games i probably wouldn't mind her showing up multiple times.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Luthor said:
I'm not a fan of pokeball breeding mechanics. For me I preferred it when if you breed a pokemon the egg was in a regular Pokeball regardless of the parents Pokeballs.

I kind of agree in the sense that I never breed Pokemon with their Monster Ball designs in mind. I always just breed whichever Pokemon I want without putting any thought to specific details including Natures or IVs or anything like that.

Redstar45

The Anime/Special's canon know it all.
Why you had to bash anime for that it like you strongly about hating anime? It kill your own dog or something like that ?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer

It's MISINFORMATION. Game freak owns TPCI not the other way around. Game freak made the decision themselves. TPCI doesn't control them. A lot of people believe this but it's not true. Ask Joe Merrick aka serebii he's tired of saying this. GF owns TPCI the TPCI doesn't control GF

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
You're wrong. GF owns TPCI not the other way around.

Ignition

You're wrong. GF owns TPCI not the other way around.
No, I’m not. That has nothing to do with them pressuring GF. You’re aware that they’re only 1/3 of the owners? Nintendo and Creatures Inc also have ownership over it. The TPCi handles the marketing side of the franchise so it’s not exactly hard to see how they’d want games to come out at a pace where they’d be able to advertise the other media outlets for the series I mentioned. GF simply makes the games and Pokémon.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
No, I’m not. That has nothing to do with them pressuring GF. You’re aware that they’re only 1/3 of the owners? Nintendo and Creatures Inc also have ownership over it. The TPCi handles the marketing side of the franchise so it’s not exactly hard to see how they’d want games to come out at a pace where they’d be able to advertise the other media outlets for the series I mentioned. GF simply makes the games and Pokémon.

I would say refer to Joe merricks tweets aka serebii who has been saying this continuously. Game freak owns more of TPCI then Nintendo. It isn't pressurized or controlled by it.

Ignition

I would say refer to Joe merricks tweets aka serebii who has been saying this continuously. Game freak owns more of TPCI then Nintendo. It isn't pressurized or controlled by it.
Yeah, no thanks.

How exactly does Joe know that? GF might own more but it doesn’t matter considering they’re the sole producers of their games. There are also people part of GF who probably want the games out at a less than desirable rate. It’s not like Masuda or any of the other developers we see in interviews are the only part of the people who control GF. Just because Joe says it doesn’t make it absolute fact.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Yeah, no thanks.

How exactly does Joe know that? GF might own more but it doesn’t matter considering they’re the sole producers of their games. There are also people part of GF who probably want the games out at a less than desirable rate. It’s not like Masuda or any of the other developers we see in interviews are the only part of the people who control GF. Just because Joe says it doesn’t make it absolute fact.

Because I think he knows how TPCI is owned by which companies. That really isn't any hidden knowledge. Joe is the most credible source when it comes to Pokemon so I'll take his word on it rather than your random speculations. TPCI does not control GF

Ignition

Because I think he knows how TPCI is owned by which companies. That really isn't any hidden knowledge. Joe is the most credible source when it comes to Pokemon so I'll take his word on it rather than your random speculations. TPCI does not control GF
You didn’t answer my question. Knowing about the mechanics of the franchise =/= understanding the business behind the scenes. Your random trust in his say is no better than how you say my claims are invalid. Anyone can do a google search to see how owns TPCI. Him knowing that doesn’t prove anything. Apologies if I don’t take his word as the truth without concrete proof. I couldn’t care less if you take my word as truth but unless you have actual evidence of Joe’s knowledge on such, I find it hard to believe you as well. And, by technicality, TPCi does control GF since GF owns part of it and they’re in charge of themselves.

Dropping this now because I have no interest keeping a conversation that summits to anecdotal evidence. Feel free to PM me evidence if you have it though.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I think that Pokémon Rumble Rush game is a bit boring after awhile. Same of the one on the 3DS. You rarely get the levels you need after awhile and even if you do, you still won’t get the Pokémon you need to complete the registration for. That’s really annoying and it is even worse that in Rush you need to spend real world money just so you can finish a level or area without waiting 1/4 of a day for your Pokémon to be fully charged again.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Speaking of boring Pokemon games, I never really got into Pokemon Pinball. I remember my neighbor lending it to me when I still had my GBC, but I only found the game entertaining for a few hours before switching back to playing Red version. I like pinball in general, I just felt that the Pokemon version of the game was lacking.