• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

TwilightBlade

I feel like Colosseum had a great dynamic and I wish we could see another Pokemon game like it.

I thought that it was a great game and so was Pokemon XD although it wasn't as popular as Colosseum was. I sometimes wonder if XD didn't get the same recognition because it was a GameCube game that came out way past the console's heyday.

NeganTheSavior

I thought that it was a great game and so was Pokemon XD although it wasn't as popular as Colosseum was. I sometimes wonder if XD didn't get the same recognition because it was a GameCube game that came out way past the console's heyday.

XD was decent, but I feel like it borrowed waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much from Colosseum. Half the game was locations from Colosseum. I don't mind a trip down memory lane, but there comes a point where it straight up feels like it's piggybacking and hardly trying to be its own thing.

Leonhart

Imagineer
TwilightBlade said:

I think that XD wasn't as popular simply because it didn't include a special bonus disc the way Pokemon Colosseum did. I always viewed the Jirachi bonus disc as one of the main selling points of the original Colosseum, at least during the pre-order period.

Luthor

One of the coolest surprises for me in Sword and Shield is the fact the Unfezent finally gets Brave Bird and Magikarp finally gets a water type attack (Hydro Pump). These are things I've wanted since the Pokemon were introduced.

Leonhart

Imagineer
NeganTheSavior said:
The Kanto saga of the anime really doesn't hold up for the most part. Ash doesn't even win some of his badges by legitimate means. If the gym battles nowadays were like this, I'd be disappointed.

I didn't have a problem with the so-called pity badges, but I did find the Gyms to be rather quick and forgettable in some cases. Satoshi's (Ash's) battle against Kyou (Koga) for instance felt incredibly dull and weirdly paced since it was interrupted and then settled at the very end of the episode in an anticlimactic manner.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
One of the coolest surprises for me in Sword and Shield is the fact the Unfezent finally gets Brave Bird and Magikarp finally gets a water type attack (Hydro Pump). These are things I've wanted since the Pokemon were introduced.
I really want to play mind games with people online by sending out a Magikarp that they don’t know knows Hydro Pump and then freaking them out and causing them to wonder if it was hacked.

WalesNote

Making use of Zoroark's illusion ability for funsies.

Only faint memory I have is using a Zoroark and a Raikou in a double battle against a friend with Zoroark disguised as a second Raikou. They were named Zoro and NotZoro, though can't remember which one got which name. Had a third Raikou named Zoroark, too, which caused even more confusion for my opponent.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Making use of Zoroark's illusion ability for funsies.

Only faint memory I have is using a Zoroark and a Raikou in a double battle against a friend with Zoroark disguised as a second Raikou. They were named Zoro and NotZoro, though can't remember which one got which name. Had a third Raikou named Zoroark, too, which caused even more confusion for my opponent.
I once freaked out a friend by sending out a Zoroark that was disguised as a Magikarp and I used Night Slash.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Doesn't Zoroark also copy the displayed name of whatever it's disguising itself as? Zoroark is fun, and with Copycat it can theoretically let any pokémon model do virtually any attack animation that isn't a Z-Move.

WildHennaCharizard

I find the battle frontier very boring. It's literally just a gym that have to beat more than once just to get 1 medal. And the medals have no point to have. It would be better if you could trade them in for something but just to collect is just pointless to me.

People complain about the lack of story in SW/SH but I find it nice that there is no massive stop the bad guys from wrecking the world. It's nice to be able to just travel the land ,catch pokemon and battle gyms .

Leonhart

Imagineer
WildHennaCharizard said:
I find the battle frontier very boring. It's literally just a gym that have to beat more than once just to get 1 medal. And the medals have no point to have. It would be better if you could trade them in for something but just to collect is just pointless to me.

I actually agree, which is why I found the constant rants during the OR/AS era about how Game Freak "messed up" by not including the Battle Frontier to be rather annoying. It wasn't a big loss from my perspective, plus those games were always hyped up as being Ruby and Sapphire remakes foremost anyway, not bona fide Emerald remakes.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I actually agree, which is why I found the constant rants during the OR/AS era about how Game Freak "messed up" by not including the Battle Frontier to be rather annoying. It wasn't a big loss from my perspective, plus those games were always hyped up as being Ruby and Sapphire remakes foremost anyway, not bona fide Emerald remakes.
For me I was fine with the Emerald BF but the one in HGSS, I only used half of them with the Arcade being the most frequent. I ignored the Battle Tower and the Castle was extremely confusing for me.

Xuxuba

I think when people ask for a new Battle Frontier, they want an updated version of it, with better facilities, better prizes for beating the Bosses and rules that are easier to understand. Maybe attach some story and lore to it aswell and allow you to unlock some cutscenes by defeating the Brains, or something like that, so it doesn't feel like a shallow experience.

Like, how fun XY's postgame would have been if it had more facilities with each Boss using a Mega and giving you their Stones unlocking new lore about Mega Evolutions and how they came to existence once you collected all of them?

Anyway, the thing i like about the Battle Frontier is the variety. It gets tiring seeing the same Battle Tower copycat over and over again. Even something as simple as tweaking the rules of the battle a little bit can make things a lot more fun. The Battle Arcade for example is really fun and all they had to do was add a Roulette.

But if we were to only have copies of previous facilities, i wish they would bring more of the fan favorites. I think it would be nice to have a facility like the Maison, a facility like the PWT, a facility like the Battle Factory and a facility that revolves around exploring, like the Battle Pyramid or the White Treehollow.

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The BF facilities I want back are the Factory, Arcade, and Hall because they had interesting gimmicks that made using them fun. I like having Pokémon being loaned to you and you choosing a different to strengthen your advantage over your opponents, having a random effect that affects the battlefield and battle, and the tournament layout of the Hall. The Emerald BF was okay for the most part but a couple of the facilities were pure garbage particularly the one where you Pokémon battled on their own and the one that judged you in three turns with you usually being penalized for not using the right move.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly
I keep saying this, but I really do feel like I'm gonna lose some friends over these opinions....

1. If we're talking design, I actually prefer Gigantamax designs over Mega Evolution designs. There's still a lot of G-Max I find rather eh, but more of them appeal to me than most of the Megas do. There are Megas I do really like though, but there's not that many I'd say "Oh that's really cool!", and a lot of them look too clunky for my tastes.

2. I honestly find the Kanto and Johto starters really boring. One of the things I like about the starter Pokemon is that they usually have traits that make them stand out from the rest of the Pokemon in that Generation, which makes them feel like they're very rare Pokemon. The Kanto and Johto starters don't do much to stand out from the rest in my opinion. I know what you're thinking "They're simple so that makes them better", if you ask me, Gen 3 did simple starters much better than Kanto or Johto. Though there is one later starter I'm rather "I don't care" on and that's also a VERY unpopular opinion...

3. I don't think Greninja is "flawless perfection" like everyone makes it out to be. The tongue scarf really turns me off its design and I would have liked it a lot more if the scarf was bubble foam instead, like its previous evolutions. Ash Greninja is also pointless garbage that didn't need to exist and just reeks of favourtism. The anime has also turned me off this Pokemon, to the point I just don't care about it anymore.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Weavy said:
3. I don't think Greninja is "flawless perfection" like everyone makes it out to be. The tongue scarf really turns me off its design and I would have liked it a lot more if the scarf was bubble foam instead, like its previous evolutions. Ash Greninja is also pointless garbage that didn't need to exist and just reeks of favourtism. The anime has also turned me off this Pokemon, to the point I just don't care about it anymore.

I've always disliked Gekkouga's (Greninja's) tongue scarf, although I like its ninja motif. Satoshi's Gekkouga in particular sort of ruined the species for me since it became the poster boy for the XY&Z storyarc, which lasted almost a year.

Luthor

I've always disliked Gekkouga's (Greninja's) tongue scarf, although I like its ninja motif. Satoshi's Gekkouga in particular sort of ruined the species for me since it became the poster boy for the XY&Z storyarc, which lasted almost a year.

For me I wouldn't mind the tongue scarf but none of the Pokedex entries explain it. Which means it just feels random.