• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
It's to make it harder to breed them and get more starters. I think it's stupid, as they'll just find a Ditto anyway. I mean, look how easy breeding a competitive starter is. Just make the starters 50/50 already.

On the other hand, Ditto has (almost) always been a late-game or post-game Pokémon. Hence, I think the idea is to make it less likely for you to be able to breed them while you're still going through the game.

The region where you can find Ditto the earliest, to my knowledge, is Alola, at about two-thirds through the game, which is roughly how far in you'd find it in Kanto. (Looks like Johto had it the earliest by far, at two Gym Badges in, though it has a 5% spawn rate, so you'd have to be actively looking for it to find it. Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon also had the Ditto Five sidequest about halfway through the game though.)

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I think they should have some starters have a mostly female ratio like Fennikin and Popplio.
I agree, it seems like a needless way to make getting multiples of a starter hard to get which ultimately means little because Ditto exists in every core game with a breeder except Ruby and Sapphire. I don't think they have high-class egg moves to justify the rarity of breeding outside of Ditto

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I don't know if this is an "unpopular" opinion, but.... Pokemon Sun/Moon were not bad games. They tried something different with the Pokemon formula, and I thought it was nice to see a different culture in the Pokemon world for a change.

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
The gender-ratio for starters have always been weird and non-sensical in my opinion. Not even the "make it harder to breed" is nonsensical since people can soft-reset for a female and then there's Ditto.

Seems more like something they didn't really think and just went with it for the sake of tradition.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Palamon said:
I don't know if this is an "unpopular" opinion, but.... Pokemon Sun/Moon were not bad games. They tried something different with the Pokemon formula, and I thought it was nice to see a different culture in the Pokemon world for a change.

I suppose that in some ways I thought Sun and Moon were good games. Not my favorites by far, but they ere a vast improvement over X and Y from my viewpoint. My only real gripe with Sun and Moon was the amount of hand-holding throughout those games [and US/UM as well].

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Never gave much thought to gender ratios but I don’t mind them? Gender rarely matters and I don’t mind a male Delphox (it gives me unisex vibes anyway) or Primarina. I honestly didn’t know it bothered people

NeedsAName

I think Gyrados should be a water/Dragon type since it doesn’t learn any flying moves through level up.It just gives it a unnecessary x4 weakness.

Incorrect, as it learns Hurricane at Lv44 in Gen VIII. But that's one of only two Flying-type moves it gets, the other being Bounce! At least give it Fly or Aerial Ace or something!

Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Don't Mess wit Texas
Gyrardos can also learn Earthquake to counter the double weakness

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Incorrect, as it learns Hurricane at Lv44 in Gen VIII. But that's one of only two Flying-type moves it gets, the other being Bounce! At least give it Fly or Aerial Ace or something!

Gyrardos can also learn Earthquake to counter the double weakness
True but say you have a physical Gyrados in competitive.Bounce sucks in competitive due to the fact that they can switch out.Hurricane is special so that doesn’t work.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
True but say you have a physical Gyrados in competitive.Bounce sucks in competitive due to the fact that they can switch out.Hurricane is special so that doesn’t work.

Unless, of course, the opponent has a Pokémon in Dynamax or Gigantamax, which is a pretty common response in Sword and Shield Ranked to waste their turns. People who have a giant Pokémon out are much less likely to switch out, as it means they must forfeit their remaining Dynamax time.

Personally, having a x4 weakness on Gyarados is fine. It's powerful enough as it is.

RoughCoronet0

Dragon lover

I feel like creating a new physical flying-type move that's based more on powerful winds would help with this issue. Call it something like Gale Stream and give it the power and accuracy comparable to something like Hurricane, Bravebird or something similar.

Weavy

I come and go suddenly

Believe it or not, Bounce has actually seen some success on Gyarados recently, and it's because of Dynamax. Bounce turns into Max Airstream when Dynamaxed, which raises speed by one, which can greatly benefit Gyarados, especially since it gets STAB on it. A Moxie one in particular can be very difficult to stop if it gets the boosts off.

But otherwise, yes, if you're not using Dynamax, never use Bounce.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Believe it or not, Bounce has actually seen some success on Gyarados recently, and it's because of Dynamax. Bounce turns into Max Airstream when Dynamaxed, which raises speed by one, which can greatly benefit Gyarados, especially since it gets STAB on it. A Moxie one in particular can be very difficult to stop if it gets the boosts off.

True bounce with dynamax could solve the problem.Unless you have a mega in gen 7.

I think he needs signature move that has the flying type.Give it 80 power and 90 accuracy.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.

There's another benefit to two-turn moves in the Dynamax meta. By using moves like Bounce, Dig, Phantom Force, or Fly (especially with Pokemon that have Leftovers), you have a chance at wasting the opponent's Dynamaxed Pokemon's turns.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I guess my unpopular opinion would be that I LOVE XY. I see them get a lot of hate because people say they’re too easy. But if you turn off the exp share, that isn’t the case imo. Kalos is an absolutely gorgeous region. I’d take a remake of that on the switch’s graphics over Sinnoh if I’m honest (I do LOVE sinnoh tho)

Also another unpopular opinion: I wish they’d do a Single VGC format as well as doubles. Like in Worlds and everything

Last edited:

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Ah, Id o agree Kalos was a really enjoyable both as games and region. Not just because of my Chespin bias but the game as a whole is really solid for me. I like a lot of the mechanics,specially megas, Amie and how it made breeding competitive mons way easier.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Ah, Id o agree Kalos was a really enjoyable both as games and region. Not just because of my Chespin bias but the game as a whole is really solid for me. I like a lot of the mechanics,specially megas, Amie and how it made breeding competitive mons way easier.
Kalos' main problem was what games it had to follow up, and given which games those were, there was no chance for Kalos to be generally seen as good.