1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Pikachu Fan Number Nine, May 19, 2019.

1. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

Karen's quote is horredously overrated.
    Eviolite should have never been created, as the whole point of evolving is becoming stronger, not getting outclassed by pre-evolutions.
    I've always liked water routes and caves in the games.

2. Fushiki

Fushiki Golden Orchid

- Kanto is a great region.
    - Tangrowth is my favourite "new evolution" introduced on Generation IV.
    - Cut was an extremely satisfying move to use out of the battlefield.
    - Snivy is my absolute favourite starter.
    - I love forest and desert zones.

Jerimiyah, AvatarKorrina and shoz999 like this.
  3. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree with this since I never understand the hatred that the collective fanbase has toward Houen's sea routes in particular. Those areas rarely needed to be visited once the main storyline is completed, and even then Repels are a thing so it's not like people are forced to put up with aquatic Pokemon constantly popping up while Surfing.

Lunalah, Jerimiyah and AvatarKorrina like this.
  4. Tsukuyomi56

Tsukuyomi56 Gesshin Powered

The water routes are in a word monotonous. You are basically encountering the same Pokémon on all the sea routes and people would like it more if there was a bit more variety in the Pokémon you can encounter (e.g: putting Spheal near the Shoal Cave). Think it is also has to do that your poor Water-type is likely fielding multiple Water-type HMs.

Lunalah, Jerimiyah and Ignition like this.
  5. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

And this is different from going into caves and running into Zubat constantly or surfing in other regions and mainly find the same Pokémon on other regions’ sea routes how?

Pokémon: I Choose You is a bad movie that is so bad that the Hoopa movie seems to be a better movie in comparison.

6. Ignition

Ignition Champion SZN

Well the original comment didn’t specify Hoenn’s but @Tsukuyomi56 was giving an example (a great one at that). It’s just as bad in caves and other sea routes where you’re constantly bombarded by Tentacool.

7. Alita54

Alita54 Well-Known Member

Don't know if these are unpopular but...

-Sinnoh was by far the worst pokemon generation. The villians (Team galatic) were the worst and most unappealing out of all the villain groups both design and personality wise. Most of the new evolutions had really crappy designs imo as well. Honchkrow was just a fatter version of murkrow. Magmortar is just a fatter uglier version of magmar. Don't even get me started on lickylicky. I'm happy they didn't give jynx an evolution cause Lord knows how bad that would have been. What's worse is that the next gen we were introduced to eviolite which made a lot of the evolutions in gen 4 arguably worse than their pre evos. I'd much rather use eviolite porygon2 over porygon z for example now. Same thing with eviolite dusclops, magneton, and magmar. I also found the idea of a "god" of pokemon just stupid and unnecessary. They also gave us too many legendaries and some were just stupid. What was the point of phione? I t was basically just a poor man's manaphy. Uxie for the most part was a poor man's cresselia as well. Regigigas was just awful. It's got the worst ability in the game and we didn't need a 4th regi anyway. Most of the new characters I either hated or didn't care for as well. I also hated how much they fawned over and overrated and dickrode Lucario all the time. He was the main poke of a gym leader and the champion, had a ****ing movie and numerous eps of the anime in sinnoh and even kalos with korrina dedicated to him. They also gave him a mega when others were more deserving/needing of one. If they really do a sinnoh remake it's gonna have to be even better than Omega ruby and Alpha sapphire for me to consider getting it which is a tall order from me considering those games were the best pokemon games they ever made imo.

-Kalos was the best gen with only kanto being anywhere near it in quality. The kalos anime was the first anime I liked even more than the kanto and johto animes and serena was the first female protagonist I liked more than misty/kasumi. The introduction of mega evolutions and the 3d features and the new fairy type really put this gen above all the others for me. and don't get me started with OR and AS. I also liked the fact they didn't give us a whole buttload of new pokes who were mostly poorly designed too like they did for the unnova/5th generation. I'd much rather have a small number of new pokes introduced in each gen from this point on while also resuing older gen pokes like what they did for the kalos(XY) and alola(Sun/Moon) generations.

-Alola was the 3rd best generation and is way better in general than what people give it credit for. I'm glad I ultimately did decide to watch the sun and moon anime since I find I am liking it even more than the kalos anime which I am stunned by. It's very unique in the sense that ash isn't just traveling across the region battling gyms like in previous anime. Which is a great change of pace if you ask me. Z crystal are an awesome new asset to the games that give all pokes a one time nuke which is awesome and I hope they continue it at least as post game content in future games like what they did with mega evolution. I like that the region was based on Hawaii which made it more diverse racially than previous gens as well. The alolan regional variant pokes were interesting and enjoyable as well. Alolan ninetails, marowak, exeggutor, and raichu I'm espically fond of.

-The creators of pokemon need to strongly consider taking ash and Pikachu out of the anime after the sun and moon anime ends. It is getting old having Pikachu get it's but kicked by pokes in early generations when we just saw in the previous gen how well it did at the previous league. Going from diamond and pearl to black and white was the most offensive. At the sinnoh league ash's Pikachu stalemated a latios only to go to unnova and struggle to beat a snivy. Ash/satoshi even lost the first time to the second gym leader in that region I believe. Also the fact that ash is still apparently not even 13 years old despite him existing since 1996 I believe. They could have ash win the alola league and end his journey there and then for sword and shield make the entire cast of characters all new with a new lead pokemon over Pikachu. And do a new cast of characters for all future generations too. It would make way more sense.

-Pokémon Stadium, Colosseum, and XD Gale of darkness were all better than battle revolution.

Lunalah and Jerimiyah like this.
  8. Wooloo is dumb

Dragalge likes this.
  9. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

Don't worry. Moving it to Pokemon now.

Posts have been moved.

keepitsimple likes this.
  10. AgentKallus

AgentKallus Whovian

People seem to want want the box in the bag to make the jump from pikavee I do not want that to happen.

New megas should be saved for remakes.

Lunalah and Jerimiyah like this.
  11. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've recently developed a hatred for Kanto and Gen I in general. It used to be among my favorite eras of the franchise, but ever since the 20th anniversary I've been slowly disliking it more and more due to all the Gen I pandering that we had to endure. Thankfully it's settled down a bit after the Kanto remakes last year, but it was pretty irksome.

Lunalah, Emelie and janejane6178 like this.
  12. Goddess Yami

Goddess Yami Happy Go Lucky

As of right now (at least on the Pokemon subreddit) people love talking about how Gen 4 is one of the best generations. So yes your opinion is unpopular. Me personally I have never cared for generation 4. For me I find the region bland and the backtracking is terrible compared to Hoenn. I won't comment on the story because I don't play Pokemon for the story. To this day I have never beaten any of the Sinnoh games. When games came out, I was in a funk where I would restart my file right before the Elite Four. I would get bored and wouldn't feel like training my team for the Elite Four. Fast forward to today. I bought Platinum awhile ago and I'm still struggling with it despite it being the better version. I will say this some of the generation four Pokemon have grown on me. I love Luxray and Roserade. However I still don't really care for most of the cross generation evolutions. They ruined the ryhorn line! Why did it need a third stage? I guess at this rate I won't be a gen 4 game until a remake comes out. Having the recent qol updates will help me beat it.

I will never understand how people get so worked up over Pokemon Go. People take a free to play game so seriously! Like having multi accounts and being aggressive over gyms.

13. Mr.Fiend

Mr.Fiend She is too precious for this world.

I never understood why people loved pokemon walking behind you so much. It was just a annoying mechanic that added nothing to the game and im glad it's gone (at least from the main series...).

Also, thing's like nuzlocke, wonderlocke, egglocke etc. are just a crap way of increasing difficulty.

I wouldn't mind a difficulty slider as long as the hard mode is not unbeatable (Way to many fan games have taught me otherwise).

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Jerimiyah, Dragalge and Ignition like this.
  14. Captain Jigglypuff

Captain Jigglypuff Leader of Jigglypuff Army Staff Member Moderator

I’d be okay if the feature returned with certain Pokémon being allowed to follow you. Pokémon other than Pikachu and Eevee and their evolutionary families that would be acceptable are the Baby Pokémon, small and medium sized Pokémon, Ponyta and Rapidash, snake Pokémon, the Dratini line, and the Rhyhorn line. What I’m not okay with following you in future games are most of the Legendary and Mythical Pokémon (the Lake Trio, Tapu, Mew, Celebi, both Shaymin, Jirachi, Victini, And Meloetta are exceptions since they are smaller and not that intimidating looking), aquatic Pokémon that can’t move around on land specifically Wailord and Lapras (but you can still travel on water with them and I’d be okay if they followed you only in the water), and gigantic Pokémon such as Steelix or Alolan Exeggcutor.

15. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Don't mess with the bull. You'll get the horns. Staff Member Moderator

I liked it just for the fun of it. And it was optional. If you didn't want any Pokémon following you, you didn't have to have one.

Same here about the difficulty slider. It would be a nice option.

AgentKallus likes this.
  16. Alita54

Alita54 Well-Known Member

Yeah I got my platinum game around the time it became available but didn't play and beat it till this year. lol And I only did that so I could transfer pokes from that game to my sousilver to further fill up my dex. Platinum was an improvement for me over pearl tho so my opinion isn't quite as negative as used to be even tho I still did not like the gen.

And yeah pokemon go seems like too much of a hassle for me. I heard you can only catch certain kinds of pokes depending on what the whether outside is like and that you have to actually go outside or something like that to get them. That would not be enjoyable for me in the winter.

Jerimiyah likes this.
  17. Golden_Latias

Golden_Latias #SlayQueenSlay

I'm still interested in purchasing Sw/Sh, because the games still look amazing between the new Pokemon, open world, Dynamaxing, and gorgeous graphics.

I feel like this has become an unpopular opinion in light of the recent controversy.

Lunalah, catzeye, Jerimiyah and 3 others like this.
  18. WishIhadaManafi5

Yea that's where I'm at as well. I still like it for what it is. It brings some good stuff to the table.

catzeye and wolf jani like this.
  19. I don't mind if you can't use some non Galar Pokemon in SwSh as I prefer to try out different Pokemon that I haven't used before , like with BW1

catzeye and wolf jani like this.
  20. wolf jani

wolf jani The 6th member to reach 20 000 posts

Im not completely sure if this is unpopular but I love Z moves.

D*N, Dragalge, Ignition and 1 other person like this.