1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

Unpopular Pokemon opinions V2 (READ FIRST POST)

Discussion in 'General Pokémon Discussion' started by Pikachu Fan Number Nine, May 19, 2019.

1. WishIhadaManafi5

WishIhadaManafi5 Happy Holidays! Staff Member Moderator

I don't mind them either. They sometimes come in handy during a tough battle.

wolf jani likes this.
  2. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

It's an popular opinion. I've seen a lot of people prefer Z-Moves over Mega Evolutions because they give pretty much every Pokemon an upgrade rather than a select few.

wolf jani likes this.
  3. Golden_Latias

Golden_Latias #SlayQueenSlay

Ehhh, it's kinda 50/50. I've seen plenty of people who hate Z-Moves due to the long animations or prefer Mega Evolutions due to their potential to boost specific Pokemon that really need it. Or feel that they're just not as "cool" or "flashy" as Mega Evolutions are.

Lunalah and Leonhart like this.
  4. Ignition

Ignition Wake me up when get to Sinnoh

Agreed. While I like Megas as a concept better, the lore and application of Z Moves are much better.

catzeye, Dragalge and wolf jani like this.
  5. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I don't know where I stand in the Z-Moves versus Mega Evolution debate. I don't like Z-Moves since I just find the poses to be really ridiculous, but I wasn't fond of Mega Evolution either since I felt that Mega Pokemon should have just been actual evolutionary stages of older Pokemon rather than basically being alternate forms. So I'm also 50/50 on this I suppose.

6. Fushiki

Fushiki Golden Orchid

I know your feeling. Z-Moves are nice to use, but I essentially find their animations to be a bit long and boring.
    Regarding Mega-Evolutions' animation, on the other hand, I think quite the opposite since it's simple and fast for me to enjoy.

Redstar45 and Jerimiyah like this.
  7. Goddess Yami

Goddess Yami Happy Go Lucky

I'm not sure if this is unpopular. I don't like the Ultra Beasts. If they were just uncatchable bosses I would have been fine with them. I never really play Pokemon for the story, but having different universes seem out of place for me.

Lunalah, catzeye, Redstar45 and 2 others like this.
  8. Totato

Totato send potatoes

I'll post a few of mine:

-X and Y are easily my second favorite Pokemon games. I remember that when I beat X for the first time, I went out and got Y week later just so I could experience the game all over again. I'll admit, the games are a downgrade in many ways in comparison to previous generations, like having a drop in difficulty, an unremarkable main plot and no Battle Frontier/PWT/contests/etc, but I still managed to enjoy them anyway.
    I honestly think the Kalos Pokemon are some of the best designs in the series, and I think I found a lot more favorite pokemon in that gen than any other, with many like Barbaracle, Aegislash, Florges, Gourgeist and Clawitzer being some of my all-time favorite pokemon. I genuinely cannot think of a single pokemon I dislike that was introduced in this game. The regional dex was also really diverse and spread out through Kalos, which was neat. I also thought the gym leader and elite 4 roster had some really cool character designs. Kalos is also a nice region, with places like Laverre City, Lumiose City (even with its crazy camera and softlocking stuff), and the Kalos Pokemon League being some of my favorite locations in the games.

-I dislike the plot of the Unova games, mainly because I don't care for any of the characters in Team Plasma. Colress is probably the only exception, but I feel he was more in it for science than anything else.

-I'm not too much of a fan of animal-based Pokemon designs, especially when they don't really do much to make them seem any different than regular animals in real life. People seem to really like Wooloo, but it's just a sheep. At least Mareep is blue amd has some static electricity thing going on. Or pokemon like the Lillipup or Poochyena lines, they're just dogs.

-I honestly don't care if the games have a good story. If they do, then that's great and I'd probably be happy about it, but it's not a dealbreaker for me when it comes down to buying a game. I'd rather they focus on side stuff, showing more about how Pokemon and humans interact with each other in their day-to-day lives or something.

Lunalah, Alita54 and Jerimiyah like this.
  9. wanderist

wanderist Someone

I feel like I have so many opinions that probably aren't popular.

I loved XY (and Gen 6 in general) and they are still one of my favorites, if not my favorite. I do see some of the flaws people talk about, but I still find them to be fun, enjoyable games. I love the region, a good few of the characters, Mega Evolution, and I actually even still like the story and lore. I was actually really upset Pokemon Z didn't become a thing, especially when USUM was revealed to be third versions, but oh well. I'm over it. I still love replying Kalos as it is.

I also enjoyed Let's Go and it was my best experience with Kanto. The Kanto games, including FRLG, were actually my least favorite games. I can't even say why, but even with the remakes, the region and story and whatnot just felt... boring? I don't know how to describe it. Let's Go does have problems and I can see why some people would be so angry about things like only having the original 151+Meltan and Melmetal, but I enjoyed it way more than I did Red and FireRed (which I didn't even finish). I'm not sure if it's because it was different from the usual, the little bits they added to the storyline, the new characters, or what, but I do like the game and have replayed it multiple times already. Also starter Eevee probably has something to do with it, honestly.

I did not care about the Battle Frontier not being in ORAS and still loved the remakes even more than the originals. I never cared much for battle facilities in the first place. I remember when I was playing Emerald as a kid I did like some of the facilities, but most of it was more frustrating than anything. To be fair, this was probably because I sucked at Pokemon and my starter was 40+ levels above everything else. I just never have cared for battle facilities since then either though. I honestly prefer post-game story arcs like the Delta Episode and would be happy if they just did more of those but longer, but that's just me.

I prefer the storyline in USUM and don't feel it "ruined" Lillie's story at all, if anything it made me like her and the entire family more. My only problem was her suddenly having a Clefairy in the 60s.

Not sure if this is too unpopular, but I actually like the mechanics behind Dynamaxing so far. I get the feeling there's a lot of interesting lore behind it and find the Max Moves interesting. I also like the way it's being used for multiplayer raid battles, etc. and how it seems that with the way it's set up, if you have it, your opponent probably does too. So far I like it more than Z-moves, less than Megas. We'll see if that changes when I play it. Right now it seems like an interesting mix of Mega Evolution and Z-moves.

I'm okay with friendly rivals. I even like most of them. I even ended up liking Trace.

10. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I'm not really sure how the rest of the fandom feels about them, but I remember being upset when they were first revealed in mid-2016 I believe, because they were given code names which made me think that they weren't really Pokemon. Of course we eventually found out that they had real names and were true Pokemon, but after that I've kind of been neutral about the Ultra Beasts. I've never even used any of them in my games; they're just stored in my PC.

Lunalah and Jerimiyah like this.
  11. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

Thank you, I also have that feeling. The only remotely negative change to me was Lillie and her family kind of losing focus towards the end. Other than that, I felt that the family dynamic is more realistic in its portrayal of a broken family, Lusamine is easier to understand and is MUCH more human while still playing as a villain. (Anti villain that thinks she is a hero this time.) Gladion's actions and words come off more real as someone trying to stop the family from falling apart more than they have.

Lillie is around the same except there is more emphasis on her wanting to become a braver person (Starting at around Vast Pony Canyon with better dialogue.). As well as us seeing more of that in the post game.

They have a better, more complete ending as a whole compared to SM for a lot of reasons I spoken of a billion times.

I think that high level Clefairy is there because of gameplay/ story issues. She got that as her starter and the only reason it is in THAT level is because the developers want Lillie to be more useful when you fight Faba and employee.

She gets better at the Battle Tree.

12. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

I do see USUM as the superior game set in Alola. It fixes plenty of gameplay issues other problems I had with SM. Honestly after playing USUM I never wanna play SM again since it's inferior.

Lunalah, Dragalge, Redstar45 and 2 others like this.
  13. Pikachu Fan Number Nine

Pikachu Fan Number Nine Don't Mess wit Texas

Not only do I like the Crobat line but I'd want to pet one too.

catzeye, Saberu, wolf jani and 2 others like this.
  14. BTS_fan

BTS_fan Banned

I enjoyed Black & White more than I enjoyed Black 2 & White 2. It's not that I disliked the sequels, it's just that I thought the original games had a better plot and I really liked how Unova was limited to just Gen 5 Pokemon during the main storyline unlike the sequels.

Lunalah, catzeye, Jerimiyah and 3 others like this.
  15. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ No Need To Worry...Yet

Same for me as well.

catzeye and BTS_fan like this.
  16. Sceptile Leaf Blade

Sceptile Leaf Blade Nighttime Guardian

Battle Royals were mechanically fantastic but GF just failed to support them properly and implement them in the story. If they had given players a better opportunity to play around with them in the story (so not tossing level 50 mega evolutions and legendaries before the second Grand Trial), implemented it on Rated Battles on the battle spot, and had a couple of battle competitions with it it could have actually developed into a cool meta

17. Jerimiyah

Jerimiyah Banned

I don't like the the Kalos region's graphics in the games. Nighttime looks too bright and the game lags during horde battles and it just looks really messy.

18. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I agree that the graphics in X/Y look really shoddy at times, although since X/Y were the first full 3D games, I guess it's excusable. I also don't like the BGM in those games, which I know is a controversial opinion since I recall most people praising the soundtrack in those games. I don't know who composed the score, but it was a downgrade from B2/W2's soundtrack.

Lunalah and FullmetalJackie like this.
  19. WolfCypher

WolfCypher Well-Known Member

RS and OR/AS are my least favorite games in the main series (although Let's Go is climbing up there)...Emerald is exempt.

(Unpopular opinion if you are of the Smogon crowd) No move or ability should be banned (Bidoof's ability, Double-Team, Baton Pass)

Since cuts are happening regardless what we want, there are a lot of 1st Gen Pokémon that should get cut, and honestly, the 1st Gen bias/favoritism needs to stop.

I really hope we are DONE with new/next Gen Baby Pokémon for already existing, old Pokémon.

I love XY's Experience Share.

These are not troll posts (look at my post history, I dont do troll posts), these are just some opinions I have.

Lunalah, Leonhart and Saberu like this.
  20. catzeye

catzeye Writer's Block

1. Gen 4 is my least favorite generation: I didn't like most of the designs, I think the added evolutions ruined a good chunk of evolutionary lines, too many legendaries that I thought didn't look that great, the region itself seemed to drag on and on, Team Galactic was stupid to me. There were a few gems (Luxray line, Shaymin, Giratina in Platinum, Canalave Library Mythos, Cynthia, Stat Trainers) but other than it was definitely a forgettable generation for me
    2. I hate the Ultra Beasts: I think they were a pointless addition. I get they were trying to represent invasive species (a real problem, particularly somewhere like Hawaii) but I felt they took up Pokedex slots at a time that the series needs to be very careful about what Pokemon to add. I think the only Ultra Beast that I felt truly worked with Alola is Nihilego. They would've been better PokeStar Studio antagonists than actual Pokemon. With a few tweaks, the Alolan plotline could have still worked without the Ultra Beasts.
    3. I prefer smaller additions each generation: I think after Gen 3, Game Freak should have made smaller Pokedexes (no more than 100 per generation). We could still see all the Pokemon we have currently but spread them out over regions (like let Cofagrigus appear in a future Egypt/pan-African based region). I think the designs of Gen 6 or 7 (barring Ultra beasts) were far better than majority of designs introduced in Gens 4 and 5. Quality over quantity.
    4. Pokemon World Tournament is better than Battle Frontier: I advocate for both PWT and the Battle Frontier to be in future installment's post-games (along with more episodes like the Delta Episode and Rainbow Rocket) so as to have an expansive post-game to for a multitude of players to enjoy. However if I could only choose one I'd choose PWT. I'd love for Sword and Shield to have PWT so we could see notable trainers from all gens on the Switch.
    5. USUM was better than Sun and Moon: I felt that the overall story was better (barring the ultra beasts), and I felt like it did better justice to all of the characters. The only downside was not battling Kukui.
    6. I liked BW over BW2: Both games are great and in my opinion I think Gen 5 was the best at telling a story for the Pokemon game. I just enjoyed seeing N and a half misguided Team Plasma more than the neo Team Plasma.

Lunalah, Alita54, MockingJ and 2 others like this.